• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

WingedLion14

Major
62 Badges
Jul 17, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
DIVIDED WE STAND
An Austrian Puppeteer AAR

Welcome to my second AAR, and my first one in the Victoria 2 forums. After trying my hand at comedy with Can European Swallows Carry Coconuts?[ and realizing how difficult it can be at times to write good comedy on a regular basis, still maintain a cohesive storyline, and, well, be entertaining even when you're generously ripping off some of the most famous comedic groups...well, I've decided this time to try a gameplay AAR.

But why just do a "boring" AAR with the standard setup with a tiny country and conquer the world, or play as the CSA and win the Civil War, or play as France and only get overthrown 12 times, when you can spice things up a bit? I've decided to take on Austria, but it's a vastly different Austria than the one you're accustomed to:

In Divided We Stand, we assume control of the Austrian Empire, overlord to the kingdoms of Hungary, Poland, Ruthenia, Croatia, and Bohemia-Moravia, with direct control over North Italy (hey, I needed something, I'm not that good :happy:) as we journey through history and attempt to avoid Austria's canonical fate - utter destruction at the hands of the Allies and ultimate absorption into the German Reich, division by the Americans and Soviets, and ultimately its current role as uninteresting generic nation #74.

Just some goals on what I'd like to accomplish:
1. Stay a Great Power as much as possible. Seriously, with little land comparatively, I'm relying on puppets and spheres of influence. I'd rather not lose the SOI.
2. Realpolitik - if it helps me, good, but the moment it doesn't, see ya later alligator. Probably will relate to my relations with France, Prussia, and Russia the most, in order to keep them all in check.
3. Try to help China/Japan become Great Powers, to help reduce the risk of one of my puppets becoming GP-worthy. (IDK if it helps, but, meh, I'll try anyway).
4. Have fun, and learn more about the economic mechanics as well.

Unfortunately, updates will not be as regular as I like thanks to real life and school, but I'll do what I can. I'll get my first update up ASAP though.

Last edited:
Interesting concept! Looking forward to seeing what you do with Austria divided up like that!

Real life always comes first, but I am looking forward to see what you manage to do with Austria given the circumstances!

My advice to you, gameplaywise, would be to abandon South Germany as soon as possible in order to keep Prussia from trying to destroy you. The historical situation of Germany as an ally can work out pretty well for you, since they can easily take on France or Russia and win... although not necessarily both at the same time as the AI. Italy and the Balkans may serve as a very useful source of puppets who can be enslaved in wars; play accordingly.

I think you could atleast keep Bohemia as Austrian lands if you consider the German minority there, plus a great Industrial base.

He's got a point. Bohemia and Moravia could help you, and they do have a German minority, as MarniXL said.

Otherwise: Good luck! I don't know how AI puppets will help you efficiently troops wise. I'm not a Victoria guy, but I know, that AI armies are usually inferior to human controlled ones.

Part I: Beginnings

So we begin our stumblethrough of Austrian history with politics. For reference, here’s a screen:

As you can probably see, we’ve abandoned Metternich for the neo-absolutists; although I plan on significant reform later to prevent revolutions (remember, a successful one releases ALL my puppets), right now I want the jingoism and the State Capitalism, because I plan on early war and so that I can start industrialism when possible. Speaking of which, do I build factories before I get craftsmen, or do I wait for craftsmen before I build factories?

Next up was the forging of alliances – one of which you guys guessed right.

Wow this was a busy game…a newspaper only four days in?

And just an FYI, I’m gonna post all the newspapers, to help tell the story.

Also on January 19 Bremen goes bankrupt. What could you possibly spend all your money and loans on in 19 days? Soup? A Broadway musical? A royal wedding? A Red Wedding?

About a month in we finally get our budget in order…mostly.

While waiting around, I decide to set our first target as Switzerland. It’s small, provides a buffer between France and me, it’s not part of Germany, so when Prussia forms it, I keep it. Of course, Swiss Guards, Army Knives, Illegal Bank Accounts, etc., don’t hurt.

And as we wait…let’s sit back, great some good ol’ German beer, and grab a newspaper:

Dammit Adolph Diesterweg, schoolchildren for generations will curse your name…probably.

And our Upper House forms to talk about Viennese opera; apparently people like it old-fashioned, not the musicals from America.

And after sending a botanical expedition to Russia, we finally get our CB – without it ever being revealed!

This should be easy – me, Austria, up against Switzerland, a secondary power with a low military score…I don’t even need my puppets for this!

Oh…

So I call in Bohemia-Moravia with its mid-sized army, which I don’t even have to take control of – together we start dominating Swiss.

Another day, another paper.

But things are looking up, and it looks like we can finally overwhelm this Swiss jerks.

…crap…

…not crap…

And without boring you with the details, (because it really was boring, and quick too) here’s what happens – France kicks my butt, Prussia kicks France’s butt. Ultimately my puppet Hungary finishes occupying Switzerland (no screen, sorry), but then:

$%@#$^@!#!!!!!

I guess that war was a waste of time for me, then.

So I’ll cut off the update here…we’re barely 2 years into the game, but I’m starting to get a sense of what I can and cannot do – for example, my military can’t go toe-to-toe with the other Great Powers just yet. In a few years I’ll come after Switzerland again, but for now we’re just going to bide some time, pay off some of our war debts, and build up some money in that empty treasury.

thanks to everybody who commented before the first post! Yea, I'm probably going to stick with the Prussians > Germans as allies at this rate, since they always end up so powerful...but of course, we'll see how things play out

An interesting first update!

Pesky French meddling in your affairs, fortunately Prussia supported you. I'd prepare for war in five years, France will want A-L back from the Prussians.

Interesting idea for an AAR. Are you planning on freeing countries from the Ottomans and Russia to get more puppets?

Great first update, certainly shows us the limits of what you seemingly can accomplish as well! Just make sure the minors around you don't get any thoughts that Austria isn't really a great power however! :glare:

Part II: Concert of Bros

And so fresh from our tactical victory, strategic defeat in Switzerland, we decide to let the North Italians build their own houses in Lombardy. Strategically, I want to keep CON down so I can keep militancy down…but in any case, who am I to tell them where to build their houses?

To get you up to speed, here’s today’s paper:

(FYI, the Turks win the war handily within the month)

Diplomatically, Spain soon becomes the Great Irrelevant, with Belgium (BELGIUM?!?!?) of all nations taking stage as a world power. We try not to laugh when their ambassadors tell us.

In the meanwhile, we discover Muzzle-Loaded Rifle Armaments and fight Prussia over influence in Bavaria, Saxony, and Baden…for the meanwhile, we win, but ultimately I decide to say forget them so we don’t antagonize Prussia.

Now, a question everybody – I’m trying to fund this factory but it won’t finish constructing despite having all the money needed…why?

More tech info:

……………..yea, this update has been pretty boring. I know. But nothing’s been happening 

And then…

OK, no biggie, a little flashpoint tension…LOL we’re not the Turks we won’t have trouble yet…

Famous last words, I guess. But who would go against me? France? Geez…if France goes against me, who knows who else they’ll draw in…this could be bad

Well then, Sultan. It’s time to party.

Prussia jumps right to our side – what a faithful ally! Then Russia comes in, obviously hoping for a sniff of Turkish lands if it goes to war. Then the UK and Belgium and then even FRANCE. It seems nobody likes the Sick Men of Europe, and everyone’s faithful to the Concert.

The Ottomans…they are just a really big:
Chicken_-_melbourne_show_2005.jpg

They're such big chickens they can't even fit on the screen!

Whatevs. We “win.” I would’ve like to take it to war, but do you see that treasury? If John D. Rockefeller wanted to buy Austria, we couldn’t argue.

And to leave you with another paper:

I’m sorry this update’s so short and so not-action-packed [scratch that…flat-out DULL], but I wanted to get something out just to remind everyone that I didn’t forget the AAR.

Remember, any questions, comments, concerns, tips, etc., are not only welcome, but encouraged.

An interesting first update!

Pesky French meddling in your affairs, fortunately Prussia supported you. I'd prepare for war in five years, France will want A-L back from the Prussians.

Yea. I haven't played any further than this update yet, but I have a strange feeling it will be me v. France for the long haul, just like reality

Interesting idea for an AAR. Are you planning on freeing countries from the Ottomans and Russia to get more puppets?

In time, yes. But in time.

Great first update, certainly shows us the limits of what you seemingly can accomplish as well! Just make sure the minors around you don't get any thoughts that Austria isn't really a great power however! :glare:

They better not...or else that might be a problem...errr....a challenge!

Thanks everybody for reading and commenting. I know this last update isn't really exciting, and is honestly an update where if the AAR was made up of only this, I wouldn't read it, but I've written up to where I've played, and now that I've got my feet wet, the action can start seriously.

But first, I'll go watch an episode of AGoT. I'm in the middle of the first season and plan to catch up before the new season starts (although I've read the books).

This is promissing, subbed.

I know that now is probably a bad time to suggest that, but wouldn't it be better if you didn't release Hungary whole, but instead broke them down into Transylvania, that weird South German Primary cultured state in Romania, Banat republic, Croatia et al? A Hungary that huge is very very capable of becoming a Great power, as much as Bohemia.

Also, I'd not help China and Japan. Ever.
They can indeed push down your puppets but god forbid it's more competition for your prestige. I say, bash Prussia as much as you can early on, fracture them, puppet them all, then try your hardest to spill sand into Italy's beer. They will be a pain in the ass if they ever unite, so beware those pesky Redshirts and keep an eye on the "Your Sphereling is being eaten alive by Rebels" Icon. Also, of course, bash Sardinia Piedmont or the Two Sicilies every time they look likely to be a great power.

Maybe a strong Poland or Sweden can help you counterbalance Russia but brace yourself early on for a nightmare. I would keep an eye on the Turks. They could be a valuable ally against Russia, but if they get too strong, you could have yourself a huge problem. I'd try to keep them from imploding and help them fend the dirty Russian hands off Kars, but maybe that's a bad decision so it'll be all your pleasure to accept it or not. :D

This has so much potential. Looking forward to the next chapter. :D

This is promissing, subbed.

I know that now is probably a bad time to suggest that, but wouldn't it be better if you didn't release Hungary whole, but instead broke them down into Transylvania, that weird South German Primary cultured state in Romania, Banat republic, Croatia et al? A Hungary that huge is very very capable of becoming a Great power, as much as Bohemia.

Also, I'd not help China and Japan. Ever.
They can indeed push down your puppets but god forbid it's more competition for your prestige. I say, bash Prussia as much as you can early on, fracture them, puppet them all, then try your hardest to spill sand into Italy's beer. They will be a pain in the ass if they ever unite, so beware those pesky Redshirts and keep an eye on the "Your Sphereling is being eaten alive by Rebels" Icon. Also, of course, bash Sardinia Piedmont or the Two Sicilies every time they look likely to be a great power.

Maybe a strong Poland or Sweden can help you counterbalance Russia but brace yourself early on for a nightmare. I would keep an eye on the Turks. They could be a valuable ally against Russia, but if they get too strong, you could have yourself a huge problem. I'd try to keep them from imploding and help them fend the dirty Russian hands off Kars, but maybe that's a bad decision so it'll be all your pleasure to accept it or not. :D

This has so much potential. Looking forward to the next chapter. :D

Welcome aboard!

I just finished playing another....actually, I forget what the last year was, but it was like 10 years or so...whatever, not the point...
anyways...

Right now, actually, the united Hungary is helping, because it can mobilize its army better than if it had been split up. It helped, a lot, in the chapters I'm about to write.

A little tease - there will be war. a lot of it. and very bloody, too.

A little tease - there will be war. a lot of it. and very bloody, too.

I think Austria knows a thing or two about very bloody wars. Just ask Metternich! Austria more than any other country fought to put Napoleon and his revolutionaries back into their proper place, but alas, everyone only remembers England, Wellington - Waterloo, and Napoleon, Snow - Russia... bah! Napoleon lost 4 battles against a single army (must we remember, his defeats at Waterloo and Leipzig he was defeated by coalition forces), all 4 battles were against Austria. And Archduke Charles is the only member of the Napoleonic Pantheon who can claim to have defeated Napoleon at his apex! :cool:

So, I think you should do just fine! And Vienna demands more puppets in the Balkans!