• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

chatnoir17

CK2 NMIH Project Lead
98 Badges
Sep 17, 2009
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Divine Wind
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Diplomacy
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Age of Wonders III
  • BATTLETECH
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
In this mod (only for ver.1.02!) I have splitted some big clans of Vanilla setting into several factions in order to make the game more fun and to prevent blobbing in early period.

The targetted 'pity' clans are:
- Hosokawa -> 5 branches: Keicho (main branch), Tenkyu, Awa, Bizen and Awaji
- Yamana -> 4 branches: Tajima (main branch), Inaba, Hoki and Iwami
- Uesugi -> 3 branches: Yamanouchi (main branch), Ogigayatsu and Jojo, plus the Horikoshi-Ashikaga
The new clans are still fighting the Onin or Kanto wars.

In addition, I divided the Takeda clan (Aki-Takeda and Kai-Takeda).
The Wakasa-Takeda break free from the Aki-Takeda, so they are not in Civil War, although they are still fighting the Onin War.

View attachment 39908
Please unzip this file and install its contents into the mod folder

I have not played this mod yet, so feedbacks would be appriciated.
(I could imagine hostages between branches of the same clan will be needed. And the Hosokawa might be weak because of their geopolitical situation.)

Screenshots
Uesugi
View attachment 39909

Hosokawa and Yamana
View attachment 39910

Last edited:
Cannot thank you enough for this! It may seem like a small thing, dividing up some of the big guys, but it makes a HUGE difference! I ran through two quick games as a spectator, and both times, it came down to a series of very large power shifts, clans going from having 12-20% of Japan under their sway down to being exterminated. Back and forth, in a series of massive political sea changes until, in the first game, it came down to an all-out brawl between Takeda-Aki and Isshiki (Isshiki eventually winning, but not without a significant struggle that took several years to remove Takeda-Aki as a threat), and in the second a 4-way struggle that eventually saw Ouchi attain the shogunate. BOTH games were completely unpredictable and you never knew which clans would pop up in the top ranks for dominance from year to year. Consolidation was gradual, and hard-won, which is the way it should be.

Can't say enough about how much this mod adds to the experience. Thanks a million!

Thanks for trying this mod!
I think the game engine of Sengoku could give us in fact a lot of replayability with unpredicatable stories, but because of the historical setting it stays just as potential for the most people.

The big problem of the change in this mod is, however, we can not enjoy power games inside the big clan.
In an expansion, I would like to see the forth rank between clan leader (king in CK term) and daimyo (duke), who can act independent from his lord, but being related to the clan leader in some areas. (In history, say, Kikkawa Motoharu and Kobayakawa Takakage in the Mori, or Shibata Katsuie, Hashiba Hideyoshi and Akechi Mitsuhide in the Oda)

Last edited:
going to give this a try.

Gave the mod a try. Looking good so far. I like playing as smaller clans and I always end up facing monster clans who I cannot face and plots which I cant really get to work. This gives more time to do whatever (like having lots of kids) and yields less predictable results.

Combine this mod with the impassible mountain range mod. It worked. :)

Combine this mod with the impassible mountain range mod. It worked. :)

Yes, this mod added just some clans in the dynasties.file and changed some informations in the history folder, so it should be work with the map mod.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, what did you do to combine this mod with the impassible mountain ranges mod? Does it require more than a simple copy and paste job, because I cannot get it to work via that method.

I'm sorry, what did you do to combine this mod with the impassible mountain ranges mod? Does it require more than a simple copy and paste job, because I cannot get it to work via that method.

Assuming you copied Impassible Mountains into Divided Clans, open up Divided Clans.mod in a text editor and add the line "extend = map" (less quotes). That should do it.

Assuming you copied Impassible Mountains into Divided Clans, open up Divided Clans.mod in a text editor and add the line "extend = map" (less quotes). That should do it.

Yes, it should work, though I didn't merge these two mods by myself.

Last edited:
No, it was made for v.1.01.

First off, thanks so much for this great mod!

Anyway, after discovering this mod, I mainly play Sengoku only in this mod, which I feel has made the game much more unpredictable (therefore more fun) and allowed many smaller clans (eg Yabe, Anekoji, Awaya, Chosokabe, Matsudaira) to be much more playable. And I'm pretty sure this mod is workable in patch 1.3, except for a few rare CTDs that aren't re-curring.

i'm suffering random crashes for this mod, same as the 1551 mod, after a random period of playing it just crashes any known reason for that?

This mod is made for ver.1.02. I can't confirm that it works well with ver.1.04

ah that explains it.

any plans to upgrade it for 1.4? i really hope so

also, some of the new clan namings are a bit off, for example the various Hosokawa factions you created. There's the Awaji brance, but thing is this branch only rules over Sanuki province.