• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

out

Captain
Apr 6, 2004
Somehow I've managed to breed a pair of super martial king and marshal. With 24 and 22 martial respectively, the ruler's modified martial is a whopping 46.

But I've experienced something rather strange since then:
I'm in the 1100s, and I'm now capable of raising armies of over 100,000 from a single rich and well-developed province. This is great of course, but when this army is commanded by the king, it has the strange habit of dissappearing. Yes, dissappearing. They aren't damaged by attrition, no moral problem, no financial problem, but they just dissappear for no apparent reason. They usually dissappear just after winning a battle, and when they do dissappear it's as if I disbanded them myself: they're back to the home province ready to be mobilized again.

Is this a bug or is there some logic behind this?

The size of your regiment is not decided by the martial score of your ruler and/or marshall, but by the stewardship of your ruler and his steward.

So you somehow you were also able to 'breed' a ruler and a steward with very high stewardship. Which is very remarkable ;)

A regiment automatically disbands when it is below, IIRC, 10% of its strength. Not many province can support a 100,000 men regiment, the attrition will quickly reduce its strength to less then 10% of its starting strength, which then lead to the immediate disbandment (disappearance) of you regiment. Or when in your case it loses some more men in a battle and then disbands.

Not a bug, the game just can't handle characters with such high stats.

Yes I did have a steward with stats at 20 as well. And yes it's probably the most overpowered court I've had so far.

I'll do some checking to see if it's indeed due to attrition. So far I've had the impression that the army is dissappearing too quickly and too suddenly for it to be caused by attrition. Unless, of course, if attrition is calculated say monthly.

Other factors that seem strange to me:
1. The dissappearance only seems to happen with my king; not my marshal when he's leading similarly sized army.
2. As I said, when the army dissappear it's back to the original province, with the green bar (moral?) full and ready to be mobilized in full strength again.

Attrition is applied on the first of every month. But troops lost to attrition don't return with the rest of their regiment when it's disbanded. It's possible your huge Martial score means that the entire regiment is re-recruited right after it disappears, but that's a bit of a stretch.

The only person who can command your capital's regiment is your King, so if the problem only affected that regiment the King would always be in command.

There are some events that destroy regiments. They are triggered by crappy intrigue, great enemy intrigue, disloyal advisers, and certain traits. But IIRC you should get an actual event when that happens.

Nick

The only person who can command your capital's regiment is your King, so if the problem only affected that regiment the King would always be in command.

No. When the king is busy elsewhere, anyone can command the capital's regiment. You can pause and raise province regiments until the king appears as commander of one. Then disband the army of the courtier you want to lead the capital's regiment. When you raise the capital's regiment now, that very courtier will be in charge.

Okay I did some testing and it seems to be as Nick suggested: disband by attrition. But I can't help but think this to be a pretty awkward design. As of now, I have difficulty marching my huge Venetian army for more than a few provinces before it disbands. And since I have no control over the size of my army (aside from changing the steward just for this purpose), it's becoming a pretty serious obstacle. I'm being punished for having a well-developed province and an able court.

IMO an army should never be completely wiped out by attrition, unless it's already low in strength and morale. There should be some kind of maximum attrition, and in any case the idea of 100+% attrition is illogical.

This probably shouldn't be considered a bug, but it is a problematic design that should be changed somehow. Either the attrition should be curved (as oppose to linear), or it should be reduced altogether but attrition damage applied more frequently.

I can't tell if you have DV or not, but 'breeding' has been removed in DV. One of the reasons was that the game can't handle characters with such 'überstats'.

Which is kind of funny since DV made uberstats infinitely worse.

I can't tell if you have DV or not, but 'breeding' has been removed in DV. One of the reasons was that the game can't handle characters with such 'überstats'.
Yes I have DV. I used the word "breeding" rather loosely, I only meant that they were both members of my dynasty; cousins in fact. They are both brilliant strategists and one of them a prodigy, along with a few other martial boosting personality traits. I don't remember how I got the steward. He's midas touched and also other bonuses as well, but from a hungarian dynasty that I thought I'd distinguished.

On the other hand, when I do manage to reach the enemy, my king and marshal can make ridiculously fast sieges; finishing anything less than medium castle in a matter of days.

On the subject of stats, is there any reference on how effects of stats are calculated? (can't find in FAQ section). I'd say the best and simplest way to curb uberstats is to make all stat effects curved that it dimishes the higher it is. The difference between a 4 and 6 stewardship should be much greater than between 14 and 16.

You've got a few strategies. First you could make your King mortal. Just knock 5 or 10 points off your stewardship. It'll hurt your income, but you'll be able to use you capital regiment. That may not be enough -- you may have to clip your steward a bit too. Finding your King shouldn't be too hard -- just search for his first name. Eventually you'll find a guy with the right traits born in the right year. Unfortunately to mod DV stats you have to know the exact order they appear and I don't. :( Veld?

Second you could not use the capital regiment. As that other dude pointed out you King is in line for regiments the same as your other courtiers. If he gets command of a smaller regiment before the capital regiment is raised you can still use his monster martial score. And your capital regiment is still great for defensive duty. Just raise it whenever an enemy besieges your capital. As soon as it wins the battle disband.

Third you could give your capital away. Give it to the Crown Prince so you'll have major money when he inherits. You'll lose loads of income, and your new capital regiment will be much smaller, but you'll be able to use everything you've got.

Nick

For once I was going to avoid editing the save... So I've chosen to appoint a lesser steward to curb the army size. It's been pretty annoying, but I'll work around it. The biggest problem is still the fact that attrition level is extremely uneven in my surrounding, and I *always* lose more strength from attrition than from actual battle. This may be realistic on some level, but not to this extreme.

Anyway I hope the dev's have thought of rebalancing this issue.

You could go and use the (unpopular) events that decrease children stats... check Veld's or jordarkelf's signatures.

Character stats were not meant to be in the range 8-14 for average characters. They were meant to be in the range of country cousin stats, i.e. 3-8 for average characters, and anything above 10 would be considered a talent.

While we're discussing stats, do their high values somehow affect character's chances of getting nasty traits?

I ask this mainly because my high-stat prodigy kids almost all end up stressed and depressed, and I used some very heavy words when a cousin marshal with 22 military committed suicide out of depression, while leading my troops. :mad:

No idea. But try to think of it those characters as half autistic insane geniuses. :D Like the Russian mathematician who solved this really insanely difficult problem, was supposed to get the Fields medal (Nobel prize of mathematics) but declined the medal, eventually quit mathematics and now lives with his mother in St. Petersburg, jobless.