• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Vran

Sergeant
77 Badges
Oct 9, 2009
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Knights of Honor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
Hello.
Running on Linux, I now get "Disk Write Error" when trying to update. The error appears to be that the update cannot write the file "binaries/libboost_atomic.so.1.69.0"
The partition with all Steam games has no issues with any other games, the folders are all rwx for everyone, I can create any file everywhere, I can manually create that very file myself, and yet steam keeps saying "disk write error" (no, the partition is not full).
Any idea? Every other game works no problem, so the issue must be with Imperator only.
I tried getting the actual binary file from an x86_64 RPM and putting it in the folder with no change.

Reads like a Linux permissions error to me. That folder has 15 files of various types on my machine - is that the only one missing on yours?

Reads like a Linux permissions error to me. That folder has 15 files of various types on my machine - is that the only one missing on yours?
It cannot be permissions, as this is the only game which has this problem. If I delete the binaries folder and validate the game, it recreates the folder (and crash_reporter) but then it leaves it empty with the same error about libboost. I did a chmod -R a+rwX on the game folder (and the steam installation) to no avail.

I see. What then do you think is causing a Disk Write Error in just this one game?

That folder has 15 files of various types on my machine - is that the only one missing on yours?

I see. What then do you think is causing a Disk Write Error in just this one game?

That folder has 15 files of various types on my machine - is that the only one missing on yours?
Yes, it used to have files, and the game was also updating until a couple of days ago. In the meantime, every other game updates.
I manually copied the files from steamapps/downloading to the imperator folder (so no permission problem), I have all the files, including libboost and the softlinks, imperator starts if I run it manually on the console, there is nothing relevant in the steam logs, and yet, steam will continue claiming disk write error for libboost.
After exiting the game launched manually through the console, Steam immediately deleted the binary itself and all the files I had copied from the downloading folder.
This is the binaries folder in the game folder:
Code:
total 30736
drwxrwxr-x 3 michael michael     4096 Aug 17 11:14 ./
drwxrwxrwx 8 michael users       4096 Aug 17 11:14 ../
drwxrwxr-x 3 michael michael     4096 Aug 17 10:58 crash_reporter/
-rwxrwxr-x 1 michael michael     8160 Aug 17 10:24 libboost_atomic.so*
-rwxrwxr-x 1 michael michael    52112 Aug 17 10:24 libboost_chrono.so*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 michael michael       18 Aug 17 11:05 libboost_chrono.so.1.69.0 -> libboost_chrono.so*
-rwxrwxr-x 1 michael michael   217176 Aug 17 10:24 libboost_thread.so*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 michael michael       18 Aug 17 11:05 libboost_thread.so.1.69.0 -> libboost_thread.so*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 michael michael  1599240 Aug 15 08:31 libfmod.so.11.2*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 michael michael  1534616 Aug 15 08:31 libfmodstudio.so.11.2*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 michael michael 19723760 Aug 15 08:31 libnakama-cpp.so*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 michael michael  7873181 Aug 15 08:31 libpops_api.so*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 michael michael   434456 Aug 15 08:31 libsteam_api.so*
michael@mint:/mnt/Steam/Linux/Games/ImperatorRome/binaries$

and this is the dowloading folder:
Code:
total 88560
drwxrwxr-x 2 michael michael     4096 Aug 17 11:14 ./
drwxrwxr-x 7 michael michael     4096 Aug 17 11:14 ../
-rwxrwxr-x 1 michael michael 47721544 Aug 17 11:14 imperator*
-rwxrwxr-x 1 michael michael  8750000 Aug 17 11:14 jomini_province_map_interface_test*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 michael michael       18 Aug 17 11:14 libboost_atomic.so.1.69.0 -> libboost_atomic.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 michael michael       18 Aug 17 11:14 libboost_chrono.so.1.69.0 -> libboost_chrono.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 michael michael       18 Aug 17 11:14 libboost_thread.so.1.69.0 -> libboost_thread.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 michael michael       15 Aug 17 11:14 libfmod.so.11 -> libfmod.so.11.2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 michael michael       21 Aug 17 11:14 libfmodstudio.so.11 -> libfmodstudio.so.11.2
-rwxrwxr-x 1 michael michael 17112096 Aug 17 11:05 pdx_ast_test*
-rwxrwxr-x 1 michael michael 17084336 Aug 17 11:05 pdx_core_test*
-rwxrwxr-x 1 michael michael        6 Aug 17 11:04 steam_appid.txt*
michael@mint:~/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/downloading/859580$
AFTER running the game manually, so steam deleted half the files from the game's folder.

Maddening. I realise it must be some of the usual steam idiocy, but it only happens with Imperator.....

Attached is what I see in Binaries in my working installation on Ubuntu 20.04

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 10.38.45.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 10.38.45.png
    94,6 KB · Views: 0
I am having this exact same issue right now on an ubuntu 20.04 machine. When i validate integrity of game files I get „1410 files failed to validate and will be reacquired“, it then starts to download some 147.8MB but interrupts then with DISK WRITE ERROR again. I just checked, writing files works normal, 9GB free space left. So absolutly no clue whats the problem here.

I also use Ubuntu 20.04 so it's not that. I still think this is a permission issue, but it's beyond my Linux knowledge to diagnose it further I'm sorry.

Do Stellaris and CSL work okay for you?