• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Allenby

Custom User Title
8 Badges
Apr 4, 2003
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
I ought to tell you that I will try to have an installer arranged some time between Christmas and New Year's Eve.

If there are any immediate problems, then I will make appropriate corrections and make them available for download.

Also, I would like the installation instructions translated into French, German and Italian.

Changes in 1.0?

I've only played the game for five minutes and already found many new features. Thanks for a great release!

I've been all over the 1.0 files, TGW websites, this forum, and I cannot find any information on what the changes are between 1.05b and 1.0. Does anyone know where the change log (if any) is located?

I saw someone complain in one thread about how germany or france did nothing, just sitting on their asses with 400 divs. In two of the games I've played (first as Austro-Hungary and second as Russia) Germans have beaten french before 1916... Quite aggressive I'd say, especially when the german have less troops than allis in France (managed to tie them to the eastern front as Russia, to bad I'm starting to pay for it :eek: )

TGW 1.0 ist just phantastic!

I haven't played TGW before... Installation without any problems, very good readme...

Decided to try the 1914-August Scenario...

Full retreat first in France, re-ordered the forces, then brake through at the coast with the support of my Kriegsmarine. In the east, just holding, only a little help from the western force. Austria-Hungary did hold well against Russia, but failed to do anything against Serbia...

A few month later, in January, France has lost 95% of it's mainland, my forces have conquered Poland, and finally kicking Serbia around, mostly because of my Landwehr Divisionen there :D

The funniest thing about was, when it was 25th December in the game, I watched the clock in the game, it showed me 07:00, and I thought: Oh, already morning, damn, that was a very short night... only a hour later I realised that it was "only" 3am.... and now, 2 hours later, I could finally "quit" the game to get a little sleep now :)

Just a superb mod, many thanks to the team!!! very good work you did!

Well... I'll try, but sorry if my english is... approximate.
Right click on your CR Rom icon on your Desktop
Then, a menu will pop up. Choose "explore" and then, a window will pop up with all the files on your cd. There, you shall be able to find what you want. :)

At last, I'd time to test this new version.
It seems very good!
I launched a hands off game as Switzerland, and here's some things:
AI is good (With the failure of plan Schlieffen, the germans attacked Russia etc...), but: Why are 50K of french and UK troops sitting in Caen?
The "trench warfare" event fired only in 1915 :(
Bulgarie war entry event fired twice! The first time, a few hours after the declaration of war, they got "we are defeated" :eek: .
The Second time was a few weeks later. This time it seems to works...

Edit: I go on with that game, and in november 1915, the Germans took Paris (grrrr ;) ). Well, that 50K army sitting in Normandy didn't even move a toe...

Last edited:
Many techs lack bonuses they give, or at least they aren't written in the tech tree. Especially in Industrial research. Have they been changed, is it jsut me, or are they gone because of a bug?

Emp_Palpatine said:
Well... I'll try, but sorry if my english is... approximate.
Right click on your CR Rom icon on your Desktop
Then, a menu will pop up. Choose "explore" and then, a window will pop up with all the files on your cd. There, you shall be able to find what you want. :)

Thank you very much.

I enjoy the mod very much, but I did notice a few 'bugs.' However, with the exception of one, they are all very minor.

The most annoying one is some event about how Oman will help the Germans. Instead of them joining the Alliance, Germany switches sides and joins the Entente! Not only was it a pain to move all of my troops back to Germany from my new ally Russia, the Austrians actually got the upperhand because I was totally unprepared for this. That is the biggest problem I encountered.

Another thing is that once France/Russia/Britain are defeated, minor members of the Entente still fight on, such as Portugal, Japan and Greece. The only time I have seen Japan stop the war with Germany was if it got involved with a war in China (which rarely ever happens). Greece is usually annexed in the long run by Bulgaria (no defeat events?), and Portugal just sits around.

Another problem also involved Greece. If Allies win, they don't get that strip of land in Bulgaria (even if they are part of the Entente). However, if they're NOT part of the Entente, they will still get that land in Turkey.

The most minor detail of them all is the color of Comintern. It's a light yellow, when the rest of the Aleutian islands are blue. It's not a big deal at all, but I just thought I should point it out.

Other than that, I feel like the mod is fantastic, and I enjoy it a lot more than the previous version. Keep up the good work.

First, a question:

Since the Soviet event for helping Chinese nationalist movement does not have the start date and death date lines, it is never triggered and therefore the Chinese Civil War never begins. Is this done on purpose or is it a bug?

Second, a suggestion:

You REALLY need a better AI file maker.
First of all, he does not know that the country garrison values are ignored when nations are at war, so writing "FRA = 500" in the "country_priorities" section of garrison AI will NOT make Germany concentrate more troops on the western front. Similarly the AI maker doesn't seem to know that the invasion AI only works for amphibious invasions, since I see lines like "527 = 6000 # Paris" written in the "target" section of invasion AI.

Whoever is making AI files for your team, please tell him that the only way to make Germany concentrate on the western front is to include lines such as "enemy_handicap = { RUS = 99 FRA = 0 }" and "passivity = { RUS = 99 FRA = 0 }" in the front AI.

BTW, in pretty much all of the AI files i see that "capital = 20" has "#" sign before it which makes AI ignore the line and not garrison the capital sometimes at all. Please remove this sign and increase the value to at least 50.

PS: sorry if my comment sounded too rude for your AI maker, but such mistakes are simply ridiculous.

Last edited:
I'll have to admit I was mainly responsible for much of the AI - an area in which I have no expertise. Despite repeated pleas on the part of the team, we have never had a decent AI coder step forward to offer any substantive help - hence the shoddy nature of the files as they are.

Since you appear to be proficient, it would be best if you volunteered for the task - otherwise no one is going to do it.

The capital garrison line was removed as Germany, in earlier versions at least, frequently left 15 divisions in Berlin whilst the fronts collapsed.

The AI thread is here: http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3335968

Good work again, but what happened to our 1918 scenario? :)

beef3 said:
I've been all over the 1.0 files, TGW websites, this forum, and I cannot find any information on what the changes are between 1.05b and 1.0. Does anyone know where the change log (if any) is located?

I don't keep a record of any changes....so there is no log.

kami888 said:
PS: sorry if my comment sounded too rude for your AI maker, but such mistakes are simply ridiculous.

You're right - you do sound rude. Perhaps you can be of use by rewriting our AI files rather than taking the piss? :)

Afalsejedi said:
The most annoying one is some event about how Oman will help the Germans. Instead of them joining the Alliance, Germany switches sides and joins the Entente! Not only was it a pain to move all of my troops back to Germany from my new ally Russia, the Austrians actually got the upperhand because I was totally unprepared for this. That is the biggest problem I encountered.

I was told of this - I fixed it before I released it publicly.

Afalsejedi said:
Another thing is that once France/Russia/Britain are defeated, minor members of the Entente still fight on, such as Portugal, Japan and Greece.

If this problem still afflicts the mod (and I'm not sure it does because I increased the number of offset days in the event that takes Britain and France from the Entente), then so be it.

Afalsejedi said:
The only time I have seen Japan stop the war with Germany was if it got involved with a war in China (which rarely ever happens). Greece is usually annexed in the long run by Bulgaria (no defeat events?), and Portugal just sits around.

If Greece gets annexed, then it should have fought harder. :) Portugal largely did sit around due to its unpreparedness for war, but I have noticed that its AI sends divisions to France....as they did historically.

General_Smith said:
Good work again, but what happened to our 1918 scenario?

It will be finished when it's finished. :)

General Guisan said:
Just a superb mod, many thanks to the team!!! very good work you did!

Many thanks :)

Last edited:
General_Smith said:
Good work again, but what happened to our 1918 scenario? :)
Allenby deemed it unworthy of release, so I have to fix a few things before it can be released.

Good enough for me. :) I can wait for an even better version of the 1918 scenario.

The capital garrison line was removed as Germany, in earlier versions at least, frequently left 15 divisions in Berlin whilst the fronts collapsed.
I've just experimented in playing the game as Austria-Hungary having "capital = 40" line in the German Schlieffen AI. Well, I have to say Germany never put more than 10 divisions in it's capital. If you think 10 is too much, maybe you should set a lower value for Germany, but surely a higher value for Russia since it doesn't garrison it's capital (or other important cities such as Moscow) at all.

You're right - you do sound rude.
Again, I'm sorry. I have to say I do enjoy the mod and I am thankful for your effort put into it. It's just I like finding small mistakes and making big deals out of them :).

Perhaps you can be of use by rewriting our AI files rather than taking the piss?
Unfortunately I don't think I have enough time to be a full member of your team, but I certanly can make some suggestions (which you might find useful) :).
For example, I highly recommend improving the fortresses in Alsace-Lorraine and the French provinces that border them. Especially this applies to Colmar and Nancy, as both of these provinces tend to be captured by wrong sides. The fortress in Nancy at the time trench warfare should be as high as 10 or even higher, as this is the only way to prevent germany from concentrating on it and instead going westward to Paris.

Although it did take Germany more time to conquer Belgium than Germans expected, it did not take that long as is takes in game. i sometimes find Germans finishing up Belgium just as trench warfare trigger fires. Obviously, by that time the French have time to relocate it's troops to the Belgian front and both powers come to a stealmate along the Belgian border.
Here is a quick couple of events which are designed to help German AI capture Belgium and Sedan before French armies have time to move around:

event = {
country = GER
id = 21032
random = no
style = 0

name = "The capture of Brussels"
desc = "The capital of Belgium, Brussels has been overwhelmed by the German Army. The commander of the Belgian Army, assuming that Brussels was undefendable, chose to withdraw his force some miles away from the city to keep his army intact and to make a stand elsewhere. "

trigger = {
ai = yes
war = { country = GER country = BEL }
war = { country = GER country = FRA }
}

date = { day = 1 month = august year = 1914 }
offset = 3
deathdate = { day = 0 month = january year = 1925 }

action_a = {
name = "Hurrah!"
command = { type = dissent value = -1 }
command = { type = supplies value = 500 }

command = { type = delete_unit which = -1 }
~34 more exactly same lines
command = { type = add_division which = infantry when = 557 } #Liege (Arlon)
~9 more exactly same lines
command = { type = add_division which = infantry when = 552 } #Bruxelles
~14 more exactly same lines
command = { type = add_division which = infantry when = 548 } #Antwerpen
~4 more exactly same lines
command = { type = add_division which = infantry when = 553 } #Luxemburg
~4 more exactly same lines
}
}

# The capture of Sedan

event = {
country = GER
id = 21030
random = no
style = 0

name = "The capture of Sedan"
desc = "The most decisive battle of the war of 1870 was fought at Sedan, where the army of Chalons was decisively beaten by the armies of Prussia. Now this success has been repeated with the capture of the city of Sedan."

trigger = {
ai = yes
event = 21032 # Advance into Belgium
}

date = { day = 1 month = august year = 1914 }
offset = 1
deathdate = { day = 0 month = january year = 1925 }

action_a = {
name = "Hurrah!"
command = { type = dissent value = -1 }
command = { type = supplies value = 500 }

command = { type = delete_unit which = -1 }
~19 more exactly same lines
command = { type = add_division which = infantry when = 520 } #Sedan
~19 more exactly same lines
}
}

I bet these commands look crazy to you. Indeed, they looked crazy to me also when I first wrote them just to play around and see what happens, but the thing is - they work! (at least for me). As for myself, i also include the placement of some German divisions in Lille in the "Capture of Sedan" trigger, which usually fail to capture the province because British divisions arrive approximately at the same time. After the capture of Sedan, Germans usually have no problem continuing to advance by themselves either to historical boundary or a little farther.

In my version schlieffen AI "recklessness" is at 2, base attack odds are 1.5 and minimal are 1.0. At the end of front AI I include lines such as these:

enemy_handicap = {
RUS = 60
}

They force Germany to hold on to Russia and concentrate on the west.
The eastern / russia_first AI is pretty much the same except these lines:

passivity = {
FRA = 60
ENG = 0
RUS = 0
}

enemy_handicap = {
RUS = 0
}

I also suggest removing "fort_borders = { GER U11 } " line from the Russian AI files as I've never heard of Russia fortifying these borders.
It would also be good to include these lines in the target section of invasion AI, since AFAIK Britain never tried to make amphibious invasions in these provinces:
588 = -100 # Hamburg
598 = -100 # Rostock

It is also quite unrealistic that after the trench warfare sets in, both sides on the western front don't suffer any casualties simply becasue they don't try to make any full scale assaults. How about introducing the events which would continuously subtract manpower and supplies from both sides if Germany controls Belgium but does not control Paris?
Finally, the British and German economic blocades don't make each of these countries suffer enough. What I do is I simply include a couple of these lines in the economic blocade triggers:
command = { type = industry which = -1 value = -3 }
I am not sure if this is very realistic, but the effect it produces is terrific. By 1919 Germany is barely able to continue fighting the war. So you might want to try including it :)

Last edited:
kami888 said:
Again, I'm sorry. I have to say I do enjoy the mod and I am thankful for your effort put into it. It's just I like finding small mistakes and making big deals out of them :).

And I appreciate it a very great deal, although put properly. :)

kami888 said:
For example, I highly recommend improving the fortresses in Alsace-Lorraine and the French provinces that border them. Especially this applies to Colmar and Nancy, as both of these provinces tend to be captured by wrong sides. The fortress in Nancy at the time trench warfare should be as high as 10 or even higher, as this is the only way to prevent germany from concentrating on it and instead going westward to Paris.

A word of caution - the idea that the Germany Army's plan was an exclusive right hook through Belgium is, strictly speaking, an incorrect one. In actual fact, both von Schlieffen and von Moltke envisaged a super-Cannae manoeuvre involving the envelopment of the French Army from both sides, although the idea of putting the extra emphasis on the right rang true with both planners.

If the activity of our German AI was to be truly realistic, she would eventually attack everywhere, but give massive emphasis to Belgium. Thus, the German AI really ought to be encouraged to attack the French border as well.

kami888 said:
Here is a quick couple of events which are designed to help German AI capture Belgium and Sedan before French armies have time to move around:

I bet these commands look crazy to you. Indeed, they looked crazy to me also when I first wrote them just to play around and see what happens, but the thing is - they work! (at least for me). As for myself, i also include the placement of some German divisions in Lille in the "Capture of Sedan" trigger, which usually fail to capture the province because British divisions arrive approximately at the same time. After the capture of Sedan, Germans usually have no problem continuing to advance by themselves either to historical boundary or a little farther.

These events are excellent in theory (and acceptable to a degree because they are AI events) - however, the -1 command doesn't actually work in HOI. Therefore, the reasons why these events work is not because there is a mass 'relocation', but because the German AI is simply given thirty fourextra infantry divisions in Belgium and France with which to play about with. I'm willing to have a command to give some extra divisions to the German AI to help it along a little (and have already done so), but thirty four seems far too many, and essentially undermines the 'Mobilisation' events made for Germany.

kami888 said:
In my version schlieffen AI "recklessness" is at 2, base attack odds are 1.5 and minimal are 1.0. At the end of front AI I include lines such as these:

enemy_handicap = {
RUS = 60
}

They force Germany to hold on to Russia and concentrate on the west.
The eastern / russia_first AI is pretty much the same except these lines:

passivity = {
FRA = 60
ENG = 0
RUS = 0
}

enemy_handicap = {
RUS = 0
}

Implemented :)

kami888 said:
I also suggest removing "fort_borders = { GER U11 } " line from the Russian AI files as I've never heard of Russia fortifying these borders.

She had fortresses at Osovets, Ostrolenka, Novo Georgievsk on the German border and fortresses at Ivangorod, Lutsk and Rovno facing Austria-Hungary. :)

kami888 said:
It would also be good to include these lines in the target section of invasion AI, since AFAIK Britain never tried to make amphibious invasions in these provinces:
588 = -100 # Hamburg
598 = -100 # Rostock

British amphibious attacks, as far as I know, are actually very rare. This is about right. To make them impossible would be unrealistic, as the government did at least consider sending army divisions to Borkum or Schleswig-Holstein.

kami888 said:
It is also quite unrealistic that after the trench warfare sets in, both sides on the western front don't suffer any casualties simply becasue they don't try to make any full scale assaults. How about introducing the events which would continuously subtract manpower and supplies from both sides if Germany controls Belgium but does not control Paris?

Simpler still - reduce manpower along with trench warfare events. :)

kami888 said:
Finally, the British and German economic blocades don't make each of these countries suffer enough. What I do is I simply include a couple of these lines in the economic blocade triggers:
command = { type = industry which = -1 value = -3 }
I am not sure if this is very realistic, but the effect it produces is terrific. By 1919 Germany is barely able to continue fighting the war. So you might want to try including it :)

As blockade afflicted the consumption of food and national cohesion rather than industrial production, it would probably be better (and more realistic) to increase the dissent hit, not reduce the country's industrial capacity. :)

Played a semi-hands off game as Sweden and had a rather historical outcome with a few exceptions.

* As mentioned, the provinces on the French-German border should probably get a few more fortification levels to prevent Germany from taking them to quickly. Other wise the west front seems to work just fine. At least until Germany finally breaches the stale-mate in 1916 and occupies France. After the separate peace with them are concluded, they join the Alliance just to get invaded and almost conquered by Britain. Just to get saved by German forces who leave after the English have been forced back. Just to get invaded by USA, which occupy almost all of France before German forces come to resque. And so on! :)

* East front working fine also, but the Austro-Hungarians seem to be to passive, with 47 Austrian and German expeditionary divisions sitting in Lvov doing nothing against 2 division, fortress level 2 Russian provinces. Germany managed to beat the shit out of Russia anyway and the October revolution happens, with a lot of minor states popping up. But then the Soviet Union declared war on Lithuania (which refused to give away all provinces to them) which means that the war on the east front restarted. In the same time, Soviet conquers the whites which is perfectly normal, but now Germany and the Russian Federation is at war with each other and the Soviet Union which means that Germany has to wait for them to take a few VP-provinces in Turkestan before they can annex them. It was a mess, I'll tell you. Not to mention the British and French expeditionary forces landing in Russia (before the revolution) doing nothing. And when Russia becomes Soviet Union, they still do nothing...

* Tank supported infantry divisions seem to be awfully understrenght, having lower hard, soft and defence value than any normal infantry division.

* Revolutionary Mexico should probably be made a tad bit stronger to be able to challenge Mexico.

* I think the AI is working just fine.

* Curious why Denmark has got the U09 tag instead of DEN.

* Serbia seems to be to strong, wasn't conquered, even advanced, until Bulgaria declared war and flanked them.

/Johan

Last edited: