• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Olaus Petrus

Field Marshal
91 Badges
Nov 20, 2004
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
I saw some pictures of map prototype from Essen and I understand the wish to focus on the European theatre, but I find the map rather disappointing. Morocco and Algeria are on the map, but Libya and Egypt are missing, so there will be no El Alamein. Also most of Northern Europe is missing and only southern part of Scandinavia and Baltic Countries appear on the map, which means that there will be no conquest of Norway or siege of Leningrad either. Even if it is supposed to be sandbox game, I find it rather annoying that many important regions are cut off from the map.

I saw some pictures of map prototype from Essen and I understand the wish to focus on the European theatre, but I find the map rather disappointing. Morocco and Algeria are on the map, but Libya and Egypt are missing, so there will be no El Alamein. Also most of Northern Europe is missing and only southern part of Scandinavia and Baltic Countries appear on the map, which means that there will be no conquest of Norway or siege of Leningrad either. Even if it is supposed to be sandbox game, I find it rather annoying that many important regions are cut off from the map.
Can you share the pictures I would like some info

Sure.

Here is an informative article, which does not have pictures of the whole map, but it shows the areas of which I complained about:

https://www.wargamer.com/articles/hearts-of-iron-board-game-pdxcon-2019/

Here is a picture, which show almost complete map:

http://www.dinganddentcast.com/archives/dee-s-2019-spiel-diary-day-3

And this video also shows the map:

Hoiy crap.

Libya and Egypt gone, no Scandinavia bar Denmark and Southern Sweden, Finland off the board and Leningrad too, it seems.

There were MAJOR events of WW2 happening there. And that's Europe - seems no Pacific (maybe they plan on releasing a second game for it?).

Sorry to see they dropped the ball so hard. Lost all interest in the game now. Off my list.

I already said it in another thread:
upload_2020-1-20_15-22-25.png

Panzor Division... :confused:

Well, at least it's not P0wnz0r D1v1s1on :rolleyes:

/edit: To Topic: I had assumed the game would have a world map. Very disappointing, indeed...

You guys are probably not gonna read this since this thread is old, but the board game devs said they were focusing on the sandbox aspect of HoI4 rather than the historical aspect. There are many alt-history options (France can go communist, Britain can go fascist, etc.), but many worried that they had abandoned history for balance. I’m still excited for the game, though.

You guys are probably not gonna read this since this thread is old, but the board game devs said they were focusing on the sandbox aspect of HoI4 rather than the historical aspect. There are many alt-history options (France can go communist, Britain can go fascist, etc.), but many worried that they had abandoned history for balance. I’m still excited for the game, though.

Sandbox is fine, although I hope that there would be also an alternative Axis vs. Allied vs. Comintern -scenario. I'm also willing to accept that USA will be added in a later expansion. My problem, however, is the map. I find it unacceptable that a WW2 strategy game is missing important fronts. Lack of Libya and Egypt ruins the game for Italy as they can't attempt to attack from there to Middle East. Also lack of Scandinavia and Northern Russia makes the game less strategic as there is no struggle over Norway between the British and German player and no Leningrad front between Germans and Soviets. Everyone will be massing their forces to one place, because there are less fronts than in the real war and you cannot force your enemy to divide their forces to many fronts.

It's obviously WIP, so I'm still holding out hope. There's been strangely little info on this game here, though.

Are there any news on this project?

There is some speculation that the game might be going through complete overhaul as it was supposed to be Kickstarted already at February, but who knows. Developers haven't said much and the people at BoardGameGeek know as little as we do.

Reactions:
Yeah, when I saw the limited information about the game I pretty much lost all the interest. I played Axis and Allies extensively and whenever I play it nowadays it is houseruled to oblivion and makes it a different game (faction specific tech decks, different combat system, different units, different naval combat mechanics, different air combat). And recently we have Cataclysm and Triumph and Tragedy. Never played Cataclysm but it is on my to buy list and T&T is just amazing (and they are releasing the pacific theatre now which will allow for a global map) and what resembles hearts of iron the closest. That game mechanically (from what I have seen) and thematicaly spanks whatever HOI boardgame pretends to be. Heck, my houseruled Axis & Allies is better than this since I based part of tge rule changes in the TRP mod for darkest hour. Point is, there are plenty of strategy games in my game shelf that this game will have to compete with and I don't see it offering anything I want... which is funny since I bpught my physical copy of HOI2 with iron cross and everything because I saw it and was like "awesome! Axis and Allies on the PC!!!".

Also, I backed Crusader Kings boardgame which I regret since I find that game a poor copy of Warrior knights. It has some differences but not enough to warrant a buy for someone who has warrior knights and it removes most of the metagame warrior knights had. I hope they re-approach HOI boardgame in a different fashion otherwise, outside of brand appeal (which didn't seem to do much for CK) it will be one of those "oh yeah, this board game was a thing" board games.

It turns out that the speculation was correct. The devs have answered in the BGG-forum.
Hoi.jpg

I saw this game at a games convention. It looked dreadful.
I'm not surprised its being reworked from the ground up. Releasing that would have been a disaster.