Direct Download of Stellaris on Paradox Store FAQ

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It is, afaik. I also seem to remember it being a .Net Application, not sure if those even can run outside Windows.

I already have Stellaris installed from Steam. Do I need to uninstall that and download it from Paradox instead? Because right now, it doesn't detect my copy. *shrugs*

EDIT: By that, I mean it is saying "not installed".

I already have Stellaris installed from Steam. Do I need to uninstall that and download it from Paradox instead? Because right now, it doesn't detect my copy. *shrugs*

EDIT: By that, I mean it is saying "not installed".

They are separate copies of the game, you don't need to uninstall the Steam copy.

Not entirely sure how the Stellaris folder in Documents would get handled with both of them installed and in use.

Not entirely sure how the Stellaris folder in Documents would get handled with both of them installed and in use.
Different folders:

C:\Users\UserName\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Stellaris
C:\Users\UserName\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Stellaris Plaza

I'm having problems figuring out how to download the Linux version of the standalone games. There seems to be only a Windows version of the Paradox Launcher available. If that could be rectified, I would appreciate that greatly.

They are separate copies of the game, you don't need to uninstall the Steam copy.

Ok but why would I need to install a separate copy? Why can't Paradox Launcher use my Steam copy? This is asking for more disk usage. :(

Ok but why would I need to install a separate copy? Why can't Paradox Launcher use my Steam copy? This is asking for more disk usage. :(

My guess would be that PDX Launcher is intended to be used instead of Steam not in addition to(if you want to). Also 2 programs both wanting exclusive control of a folder would just be a bad idea, which is also likely why PDX Launcher games have their own Documents data folders.

My guess would be that PDX Launcher is intended to be used instead of Steam not in addition to(if you want to). Also 2 programs both wanting exclusive control of a folder would just be a bad idea, which is also likely why PDX Launcher games have their own Documents data folders.

I suppose I could do that... there isn't any user data stored in the Steam install folder. If I uninstall it, will it not remove the /Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/ where save games and such are? Or will it remain intact?

I suppose I could do that... there isn't any user data stored in the Steam install folder. If I uninstall it, will it not remove the /Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/ where save games and such are? Or will it remain intact?

If you want to do that I recommend making a copy of the userdata into a folder outside /Paradox Interactive first.

I'm having problems figuring out how to download the Linux version of the standalone games. There seems to be only a Windows version of the Paradox Launcher available. If that could be rectified, I would appreciate that greatly.
There is only a Windows version of the launcher at present, sorry.

My DLCs are not showing up, neither in Paradox Launcher nor in Games. Bought everything on Steam

That is a bug we've also noticed with the latest Stellaris releases on the launcher. We're working on a fix.

In the meantime, an unofficial workaround to try is: You should be logged into the launcher with "Remember Me" checked. Then, revert to 1.7.4, run the game, then update to 1.8.3 and run again. DLCs should work.

It is, afaik. I also seem to remember it being a .Net Application, not sure if those even can run outside Windows.

Just as an aside: the launcher is not a .NET application. It's built using a cross-platform technology, so it's relatively easy to port to other systems.

That is a bug we've also noticed with the latest Stellaris releases on the launcher. We're working on a fix.

In the meantime, an unofficial workaround to try is: You should be logged into the launcher with "Remember Me" checked. Then, revert to 1.7.4, run the game, then update to 1.8.3 and run again. DLCs should work.
Thank you, this works!

I have a same problem, i tried, i do use both to have to check the new version and do not mess with my iroman man game on 1.6.3 But the paradox laucnher is stuck in a loop of install, it want to open the command promt and then it is stopping download before i could allow to use the command prompt. I thinking what must paradox in my command prompt?

indead you need start as administrator i could install but no Stellaris_Anniversary_Portraits , dlc is gone. Reinstall in de the paradoxlauncher will not find again the files? Only a steam Portraits??

Last edited:
I have a same problem, i tried, i do use both to have to check the new version and do not mess with my iroman man game on 1.6.3 But the paradox laucnher is stuck in a loop of install, it want to open the command promt and then it is stopping download before i could allow to use the command prompt. I thinking what must paradox in my command prompt?

indead you need start as administrator i could install but no Stellaris_Anniversary_Portraits , dlc is gone. Reinstall in de the paradoxlauncher will not find again the files? Only a steam Portraits??

The launcher doesn't really want to use your command prompt, it's only trying to elevate itself. Currently that function is fiddly, so it's recommended to start the launcher as an admin if you're planning to install something.

Please file a support case about your DLC problem, and describe it in detail!

By the way, with the launcher, going back and forth between versions to continue different saves started on different versions should be trivial. You don't need to keep two installations.

Of course currently there is no version 1.6.3 of Stellaris on the launcher, but in the future, you can do that.

failparadox_stellaris_ann.jpg
The launcher doesn't really want to use your command prompt, it's only trying to elevate itself. Currently that function is fiddly, so it's recommended to start the launcher as an admin if you're planning to install something.

Please file a support case about your DLC problem, and describe it in detail!

By the way, with the launcher, going back and forth between versions to continue different saves started on different versions should be trivial. You don't need to keep two installations.

Of course currently there is no version 1.6.3 of Stellaris on the launcher, but in the future, you can do that.
You are rightt a typo it was 1.6.2 ;-)
Thanks for the info , I shall try to support ticket #126807 , help you maybe with beta.

When comes Cities skies and HOIIV in the launcher or is the launcher project abandon?

Last edited:
@Redswingarcus My guess would be that they want to get it 'complete' and tested properly live with Stellaris before adding HoI4 or any other PDX titles to it.