Direct Download of Stellaris on Paradox Store FAQ

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That seems to be the implication, you'll need a PDX account regardless of which store you buy it on though.

If Stellaris could arrive in GNU/Linux version on GOG.com or Itch.io without DRM, I buy!

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/stellaris Already available for Linux.

GoG.com, I'd be surprised if they don't, now that they have un-tethered themselves from Steamworks.

Itch.io less likely I think, most people and most companies probably do not view it as a serious store front.

Oh my, if this is what I think it is? I hope I can finally get off steam. . .only got a steam account for EU IV. What about offline multiplayer once you connect to your paradox account?

LAN multiplayer. Offline as in local network.

I only had a brief look at the new Multiplayer UI, but no I don't think so.

The only difference I can see is the addition of PDX Friends, otherwise it looks like it works the same as Steamworks MP.

PS. The netcode is probably new from the sounds of things, but you can't really see a change like that w/o playing MP and comparing.

Man, I am torn on this, and kinda thinking out loud, so... o_O

On the one hand, I'm unlikely ever to use this, for the same reason I don't use any other company-specific Steam-alternatives: I don't care for something that duplicates Steam's functionality at best (if we're being charitable, from what I hear all other launchers are uniformly worse) and only does a subset of my games. But on the other hand it's not like I have to use it (so thanks for that Paradox! :D)...but on the other hand that's a bunch of programmer resources going to something I'm unlikely to ever see or use (but maybe those guys would be doing something else besides improving the game anyway so it's not like it's somehow taking away developer time). And on the other other hand, maybe it'll open the game up to people who wouldn't buy it before, which is a good thing? I guess I'd love to see some numbers on how many people are using it when it's been out for a bit.

I suppose the short version is that I'll probably never use this barring Valve somehow managing to go out of business, but I do wish you all the best of luck in getting it working. Of any company out there, Paradox is the one I think most likely able to design a Steam alternative that isn't strictly inferior features-wise. :)

So does this mean that Stellaris is now "Forked"? I use a variety of mods from Steam Workshop, and I really, ***really*** don't want to go back to manually installing - nor do I have any interest in MP. But if Steam-version development now ceases at 1.6.2... or perhaps worse, if the code is now going to be split, there'll be problems for me and many others.

I've installed .NET Framework 4.7. Do you think, downgrading it to 3.5 would solve the problem?

I don't think you should downgrade, but you should probably install the latest 3.5 as well. If it still doesn't work, please contact support and provide more detail about how it fails, any possible error messages, and so on. Thanks!