Direct Download of Stellaris on Paradox Store FAQ

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TinyWiking

Team Lead - Customer Support
Administrator
Paradox Staff
89 Badges
Jul 1, 2015
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Limited Collectors Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Haemimont Games Staff
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • PDXCON 2017 Gold Ticket holder
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Victoria 2 A House Divided Beta
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • IPO Investor
  • Eugen Systems Staff
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Surviving Mars
Greetings all!
We've put together a short FAQ about our new Direct Download feature for Stellaris on the Paradox store!

What’s the long term plan?
Paradox is releasing games on many different outlets and will continue to do so. Adding our own technology for distributing our games lets us co-create the experience around multiplayer, cloud saves, social features and so on together with our fantastic community. This does not mean we will stop releasing games on multiple platforms, rather, we want to enhance the experience of playing Paradox games regardless of which context you choose to play them.

How does this affect the Steam version of Stellaris?
Stellaris on Steam now uses Paradox technology to facilitate multiplayer sessions. Login with your Paradox Account and play MP as usual. This also means that we have added some basic social features in the game which involves friends list and chat.

How do I add a Paradox user to my friends list?
Forum nicknames now also function as nicknames in our friends system. Simply search for a nickname to send an invite to connect.

How do I get the Paradox version of Stellaris?
If you bought the Steam version in the Paradox Store, you should have access to the Paradox version automatically. Check https://accounts.paradoxplaza.com/profile/games

evqCBIDLoTC0TO_7t274DOYvjR52BA0hdL41tzU-7csbqoxphyQAj3KXGKUCdE-wjZHwm2qgXmlShUhAE8zfo-W9xrYibtwfXatBsUcHD-TngpuMWKfv3CzzTVxS4aSAm2kd-oNB

How do I get the Paradox version if I bought Stellaris on Steam?
Create a Paradox Account and connect it to your Steam account to get access to the direct download version of Stellaris. The account connection needs to stay active in order for you to keep your access to the game.

I own the Paradox version of Stellaris, but when I try to install it, the launcher displays an error that says 'To install a game you need to own it.'. How do I solve it?
Try running the launcher as an administrator. If that doesn't work, please open a support ticket.

I plan to buy Stellaris on the Paradox Store, what do I get exactly?
We will grant you access to both a direct download and the Steam version of Stellaris. You need to connect your Steam account to your Paradox Account. Navigate to https://accounts.paradoxplaza.com/profile/game_keys and press Activate to redeem your Steam copy of the game.

Where can I find the Paradox Launcher?
What about mods?
We have a curated list of mods in the Paradox Launcher for quick install, but you are also free to mod your games as usual by manually placing the mod files in the game folder. We are looking into how to improve modding for both creators and players and will seek input from our community to develop it further.

How do achievements work?
Playing the Paradox version of Stellaris will give you the same achievements as in the Steam version of the game. You can find all of your achievements on https://accounts.paradoxplaza.com/profile/achievements

yQdGzo9Qx45PFiQ970tZOxyXHxnqxRk2P0CV8BdRVNMnqPHMPrga9pPtRBcqMKOoWSf-3-jY7RihiOLJ6tO0mVtozBV0GOhUkVhxNFchwm79P4A-Q7WvbCnrvrFMMOtDBK5SNsKn

Last edited:
Paradox Launcher refuses to work as not-a-superuser-process - it crashes immediately after attempt to launch it. Even if installation folder have the "modify" NTFS permission for the "Authenticated Users". Am I doing anything wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
While I do understand why Paradox decided to sell games on own platform are there any real benefits for customers to use Paradox’s version instead of Steam’s? (not even talking about missing regional prices)

• 2Like
Reactions:
This is the/part of the reason everything got moved to Steamworks in the first place.

Hopefully it works this time.

Ok, this explains the new MP back end. I have no problem with this in theory as long as it actually works. Will this break steam integration at all though? Like being able to join games off the friends list?

I am new to the Stellaris forum but I need a good answer to, what I feel is a major problem for me. I purchased Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition on 16 June 2016 but if I check my games list on my account I do find it. Not even my purchased game of 'EU 4 Collection'. Yes am logged-in to my account and yes I did 'activate' my game purchase on the Paradox site but it refuses to download, unless I want yo download the launcher to my system once again.
No, I never received a 'key' to prove I purchased the game...but I know Paradox will get paid for a purchase I can not retrieve.
I'm I missing a key fact. I had no problem downloading EU 4 Collection which was through Steam (I know). Clean download. But 'Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition is a completely different story.
The fact that I paid for something...Followed the instructions (on the Paradox forum) to try and retrieve and download the game...No success.
If this is an on going problem, and I am sure I not the only one with this problem, and some of you may say "Sorry about your problem but I got my game downloaded", well then that's fine. If I am not able to get my game then I will be asking for a full refund of my purchase cost and inform my card company of the problem with the purchase.
I will wait a while to see if I received any help from Paradox on this issue then I will move forward.
Thank you for any help.

I am new to the Stellaris forum but I need a good answer to, what I feel is a major problem for me. I purchased Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition on 16 June 2016 but if I check my games list on my account I do find it. Not even my purchased game of 'EU 4 Collection'. Yes am logged-in to my account and yes I did 'activate' my game purchase on the Paradox site but it refuses to download, unless I want yo download the launcher to my system once again.
No, I never received a 'key' to prove I purchased the game...but I know Paradox will get paid for a purchase I can not retrieve.
I'm I missing a key fact. I had no problem downloading EU 4 Collection which was through Steam (I know). Clean download. But 'Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition is a completely different story.
The fact that I paid for something...Followed the instructions (on the Paradox forum) to try and retrieve and download the game...No success.
If this is an on going problem, and I am sure I not the only one with this problem, and some of you may say "Sorry about your problem but I got my game downloaded", well then that's fine. If I am not able to get my game then I will be asking for a full refund of my purchase cost and inform my card company of the problem with the purchase.
I will wait a while to see if I received any help from Paradox on this issue then I will move forward.
Thank you for any help.

I see you have Stellaris digital anniversary badge so something is working at least. When you go to this link do you not see Stellaris under Steam or Paradox Launcher? I've not tried to use the Paradox launcher yet and have only downloaded it through Steam so there may be issues with using the launcher I don't know about. Here is what the page looks like for me.
Games.PNG

Thank you for any help.
Have you checked your e-mail adress, is it the good one? have you checked spamm mails in it (if it detected automatic mail sending key, that might ended up there)

Hype...I see the link, and I am signed on, but when I click on 'download' next to where it says Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition all it attemps to do is download/install the launcher, nothing more. The system is faulted and it looks like Paradox owes me a refund for not delivering a paid for product or figure out away to supply me with all four of the products I paid for with my purchase...maybe notifying me that they can send me a hard copy (CD) of my purchase...but I know this will not happen due to less profit on the sale and that hard copies are 'just so old school'. ....but then again, hard copies hardly ever, if ever, refused to download the product you purchased (at least that is my experience).
Thank you for your response to my message.

Mohreb...I have checked all points of possible entry for a message. No luck. Just the message from Paradox confirming and thanking me for my purchase.
If Paradox sent me anything else in the well over 34 1/2 hours since my purchase then it did not go to my e-mail site.
Thank you for responding to my message. At least I know some people out there note the messages on forum.

Mohreb...I have checked all points of possible entry for a message. No luck. Just the message from Paradox confirming and thanking me for my purchase.
If Paradox sent me anything else in the well over 34 1/2 hours since my purchase then it did not go to my e-mail site.
Thank you for responding to my message. At least I know some people out there note the messages on forum.
Just submit a ticket to support and they will be able to assist you.

Lord Milutin...I have submitted two tickets to support since yesterday, no response yet that I have seen. There may be a line of requests/trouble shooting ahead of me and I am quite a priority on that list.
Thank you for your response. As I have noted before, there are quite a few gamers/individuals willing to give their assistance in this forum.

@Username1515 I don't think it's a bug. The 1.6 and earlier versions rely on steam so only 1.7 and newer will be on the launcher. I think, unless they backport the multiplayer backend for old versions but that's a lot of work for no reason.