• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I really loved your occupation scenes! It really makes you feel for the Lilarobius who had no real fault in being part of a genocidal regime.
I'm now very curious to see what will happen to the Lilarobius as the war becomes a more distant memory

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Deep
The Deep
March 2146 - Shuckon Va - Borehole 2

3r1DtNp.jpg

Aerial image of Borehole 2. The moon was rather rich in various rare earth minerals and the boreholes were located around particularly rich areas.
(Art by Tony Holmsten)​

Dr. Hermann Adler did a final check on his hazmat suit, then turned to Dr. Carolina de Sousa. They went through the thirty second buddy check, making sure all the seals were good to go. Then they stepped through decontamination, and out the airlock.

The walk to the borehole was exhausting. Every day he walked the distance, and every day he was soaked in sweat before even beginning his workday. Some of the blame probably rested on him. He was not in the best shape. But the main culprit was no doubt the damn hazmat suit. Just working in the damn thing was exhausting enough, having to walk up a hill over uneven ground every day was downright torture. The thin atmosphere would require some form of protective gear, but a breathing mask would do. And it would be vastly superior to the personal sauna he was currently wearing.

After enduring his own private hell for fifteen minutes, they finally reached the edge of the borehole. And after checking in with the site manager, they stepped into the lift and began their descent. Hermann leaned against the mesh walls, panting.

Dr. Sousa studied him, part amusement, part concern on her face. "Have you considered giving cardio a go?"
"I'm afraid cardio was not part of the curriculum back at university."
"Strange. I thought archaeologists were always running from rolling boulders or collapsing temples."
"Heh..." Hermann stood up straighter. His breathing wasn't quite as ragged anymore, but there was still a fair bit of condensation on his face plate. "I'm afraid the most danger I've been in as an archaeologist was when I was stuck in an alien airlock for half an hour."
"That'll be an exciting tale to tell the grandkids: 'Dr. Adler's thrilling escape from the alien airlock'."

Hermann chuckled as the lift trundled down into the dark. Far below, they could a hint of light.

"Tell me, how much of this is really necessary?"
Dr. Sousa frowned. "This?"
"This." Hermann motioned to the suit.
The epidemiologist's frown deepened. "Off the record?"
"Off the record."

She leaned against the side of the lift. "The risk of transmission is effectively zero. The Irassians have - had - a biochemistry based on dextra-amino acids, while Humans use levo-amino acids. When you add this to the regular issues with cross-species infection, and the fact that the Irassians have been dead for millennia..."
"You don't rate the risk as particularly high."
"We're more likely to catch a different, wholly unrelated, super-virus on this rock. And everyone in the field knows it. But try explaining that to the politicians. Or their PR teams."

Hermann groaned. "Are you telling me that the reason I almost suffer a heart attack every morning is because--"
"Of a journalist who read the abstract of a study on epidemiology once. Seven or eight years ago. And the study has been revised twice since then."
"Not to mention the seven different studies that reached the opposite conclusion." He groaned. But at least he felt slightly better about his morning torture.

"Just don't tell any of them about this. The politicians are only funding this expedition because a killer plague is scary."
Hermann grunted. He knew better than to jeopardise funding.

The lift passed the floodlights and the bottom of the borehole turned from blinding brightness to a perfectly illuminated crime scene. Piles of mummified Irassian corpses littered the bottom. They'd managed to clear enough space to erect a small tent where Dr. Sousa and her colleagues could examine the bodies after Hermann and his team had carefully extracted them from the pile.

Seeing the pile was always sobering. Maybe the politicians had a point. Emotionally, at least.

"How many do you think there are?" Sousa asked.
"We've got 572 confirmed individuals so far. They updated the estimate last night to 1800, give or take a hundred."
"And that's not accounting for other sites."
"No." They'd discovered seventeen boreholes so far on this rock. They'd only inspected two others so far, and both were empty. The documents they'd found at Yotla suggested that the miners had been evacuated, but how many actually got off-world was unclear.

The lift reached the bottom with a clang, and the two of them stepped out. Sousa went straight for the tent, and Hermann decided to accompany her.

Inside the tent they found Dr. Stroll poking at the six-limbed remains of an Irassian while an automated assistant took notes. The body was, as most of them were, mangled by the impact. Only one of the limbs was intact, and much of the lower body was bent unnaturally.

"Good morning, Doctor. Anything interesting?" Sousa asked as they entered.
"Nothing we haven't seen a hundred times already. Significant blunt-force trauma, inflicted a few hours after death, and the lungs are a mush of necrotic tissue and blood clots." Stroll looked up at them with the deadpan expression he'd become known for. "Using my expert skills honed over many years, I deduct that this individual succumbed to the Jovian Pox, and was later thrown down a borehole."
"Really? This changes everything." Hermann tried to match his deadpan. He wasn't as good at it.

Sousa stepped up to the table and looked down at the corpse. "So... bag it and send it up for the anthropologists to have a look at?"
"Bag it and send it up," Stroll agreed.

Hermann gave Sousa apart on the back. "You have fun with that. I'll go and dig out another corpse for you. Who knows, maybe we'll find another one that was euthanized before it was thrown down."
"That would be nice. Variety is necessary in all aspects of life," Stroll said, just as deadpan as before.

Hermann stepped out of the tent and saw his co-workers by the corpse pile. They were carefully trying to extract the jumbled limbs of two Irassians from each other.
"I have the strangest job," he said to himself as he walked over.

The war with, the invasion of, and the ultimate downfall of the Lavis Republic had dominated the headlines and the attention of policymakers for years. However, that did not mean the rest of Human space sat around doing nothing. Along the galactic rim, around Russalka, exciting discoveries were being made. Two Irassian sites, reasonably intact, had been uncovered.

The Irassians had somewhat faded into the background following first contact with the Lavis Republic, but they remained a subject of great interest among the archaeological community. So far only a handful of other sites had been found, typically mining stations and the like. The story was always the same, with the crew being quarantined, then dying, following confirmed exposure to the Jovian Pox.

That changed with the examination of a massive orbital complex in the Yolta system. After careful examination, archaeologists were able to identify the facility as the Irassian Concordant’s Authority on Disease Control. As this discovery was made around the same time as the Battle of Lav and the early phase of the siege, the Executive Council approved further examination in-between planning the ground invasion of the ring.

ptQ76Jx.jpg

The examination of the site confirmed what most archaeologists and epidemiologists had long suspected. The entire Irassian civilisation was destroyed by the plague.
The findings were frightening. Just as the existential threat of the Lavis Republic was being contained, a new one appeared. One that couldn’t be fought with fleets.

There was, however, some good news. Some of the surviving records suggested that the Irassians were especially vulnerable to infectious disease. Hopefully, that meant Humans would be safe.

Amongst the surviving records, there were also details about a nearby mining colony that had been hard hit by the plague. After wrapping up their investigation in Yolta, the expedition set course for one of the Shuckon system’s moons.

Operating in the same system as Russalka made the operation much easier from a logistics point of view. And while the mining facilities had long since been worn away by the thin atmosphere, the massive boreholes left behind were visible from space.

PEQhm36.jpg

The thin atmosphere and the lack of any native bacteria had left the Irassian bodies remarkably intact. In total 1.844 individual bodies were recovered, all found in a single borehole.
The discovery helped confirm that the Irassian immune system was especially weak. This did quell some concerns, however, the SSA was still interested in investigating the situation. If anything, Humanity could learn from the Irassian Concordat’s demise, should there ever be a similar plague sweeping the galaxy. Administration ships were instructed to report any Irassian findings, and a bounty was established for information on Irassian sites.

On the Ring, a different kind of archaeology was taking place. Digging through the surviving Lavis Republic archives, researchers found several warnings about the Ishnor system, only two jumps from the Ring. Most of the records described it as “a remnant” and the Lavis government had considered it to be a major threat to the Ring.

Further digging, and the interrogation of the handful of surviving members of the Ring Defence Fleet painted a better picture.

The Ishnor system had been the site of the Lilarobius’ last stand prior to the partial destruction of the Ring. A massive fleet battle had taken place, one that destroyed their fleet. However, as the enemy fleet moved on to bombard the Ring, a nanobot repair system built into one of the destroyed ships suffered a malfunction. It began “repairing” the ships, bolting them together in an unholy Frankenstein’s monster of a ship.

C0kUwgu.jpg

The Scrap Bot, as it was colloquially known, was one of the most powerful ships in the galaxy. This was despite its ramshackle design.
(Image taken from the former Lavis Republic State Archive)
The system was immediately declared off-limits, with all Human navigation systems set to not permit jumping to the Ishnor system. Most were just glad to have avoided another incident like the loss of the Andreas Stöberl[1].

As all this was going on, the Executive Council was deep in secret talks with the Welfon-Boordar Trade Association. A diplomatic slip-up on the Suramo’s side had revealed that they were in diplomatic contact with a handful of other species. The Executive Council hoping to get a clearer strategic picture, asked the Suramo to act as liaisons for them.

After a bit of back-and-forth negotiations, the Suramo agreed to relay the messages. In return, they would get a formal promise of future cooperation[2].

The first species was the Hazar, of the Hierarchy of Hazi. The Hazar were yet another species that rewrote Humanity’s understanding of biology. They were a species of parasitic fungus that would infect an indigenous species of bear-analogues. The fungus would then take control of the creature’s nervous system, assuming direct control. The Hazar avoided questions about the bear-analogue remaining conscious after infection.

XHfoyzu.jpg

The Hierarchy of Hazi had an extremely autocratic government structure, with most power being wielded directly by Primarch Jhutleeg. On Earth, comparisons were made to the Australian State.
The second contact were the Celimy, of the Versum Divine Empire. The Celimy were in many ways the alien Humanity had expected to find half a century earlier. A mass of slimy tentacles, they looked like they belonged in a 1950s adventure serial.

gswwzAU.jpg

Like the Hazi, the Versum Divine Empire was an autocratic state, though they were ruled by a monarch claiming divine right.
Relations got off on the wrong foot when Humanity realised just how bad Suramo - Celimy relations were. According to the Suramo, the Celimy had carried out several raids on isolated colonies and outposts. The main goal seems to have been the Suramo themselves, as survivors of the raids claimed they saw scores of Suramo being herded onto ships like cattle. The Celimy denied this, but it was an open secret that a large portion of the Versum economy depended on slave labour.

The third contact was something of a disappointment, as the Ugarlak Forerunners did not respond to Humanity’s hails.

UkVIEbv.jpg

The Ugarlaks were yet another old species, survivors of the previous cycle. Following the wars that sundered the galaxy, they took it upon themselves to preserve the biodiversity of sentient life. Ugarlak space contained dozens of species that were otherwise extinct.​

The reaction on Earth to three new civilisations was fairly muted compared to previous encounters. Whether the main factor was a degree of cynicism regarding alien life, or just distance making them seem less important, was unclear.

However, if Humanity weren’t interested in the aliens, the aliens were interested in Humanity. It only took a few days before the Hazar wished to establish formal diplomatic relations.

nZIgrXM.jpg

The Hazar had heard about the Russalka phones from the Suramo, and were keen on getting one themselves so they could communicate with Humanity in private.​

This request proved to be somewhat controversial. The Administration Assembly debated at length whether to establish direct communications or not. The salient issue was the autocratic nature of the Hierarchy. Several members feared that establishing diplomatic relations could serve to legitimise the regime. Opponents argued that having a direct line of communication was not legitimising, but a vital component in the two species understanding each other.

In the end, the request was approved with a slim majority and a new Russalka phone was shipped off.

A week after the decision had been made, the Celimy contacted the Suramo with a very simple message. Humanity was not welcome in Versum space.

xWYupRP.jpg

Closing the borders to Human traffic was largely a symbolic gesture, as there were no Human ships anywhere close to Versum space.​

At first, it was thought that this was a reaction to Human - Hazar diplomatic ties, but over time it became clear that it was Humanity’s relations with the Suramo that was the problem. While the Hierarchy of Hazi was a close ally of the Welfon-Boordar Trade Association, they had had little contact with the Versum directly. Meanwhile, Humanity having good relations with the Trade Association was enough for the Celimy to consider Humanity persona non grata.

kuvfZZu.jpg

Map of the various powers shortly after the Second Lavis War. The SSA had little information about exact borders, as much of their information was second-hand.​

Overall, the discovery of three new civilisations had remarkably little influence on Human strategic concerns. The main takeaway was that spinward expansion beyond former Lavis territory would only lead to border disputes. As Humanity’s expansion was mainly counter-spinward, this had minimal effect on decisionmaking.

There were concerns about tensions in the region escalating, and what role Humanity should play if that happened. But overall the mood on Earth was to leave the region alone and not risk getting involved in any armed confrontations. Time would tell if Humanity got their wish.

[1] - A Beldross Hive ship exploring the former territory of the Lavis Republic was detected heading for the Ishnor system. The ship was warned about the threat, but the Beldross replied that the ship was expendable. A few days later, the Beldross embassy on Earth thanked Humanity for the warning. The ship had survived their encounter with the Scrap Bot, and gathered valuable data.

[2] - The Trade Association were perfectly happy to help Humanity establish diplomatic contact, as they were hoping to establish more concrete trade relations. However, the Trade Association board had rules in place prohibiting giving away Association “property” without getting something in return. A simple IOU was enough.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Great update, for now looks like the SSA isn't threatened by anyone. Having a peace of mind isn't something to take for granted.

We're getting close to the Irassian's cause of demise. When it is found I
bet the nations of earth will run over one another to ensure they can weaponise it before their rivals. Let's hope some non-proliferation treaty can be quickly reached.

Also, it's good to see humanity is getting more comfortable in it's dealings with aliens and in contacting new species. Shows how the SSA has mastered it's own neighborhood to a level in which it doesn't fear anyone breaking in and causing trouble (though trouble may yet come from within...).

Your scenes are always a delight to read!
I'm sure a galactic plague pit is not the most pleasant work environment for the poor scientists.
I also appreciate the dextra-amino acid shout-out.
So it looks like the SSA isn't significantly hampered in its expansion and can look forward to some foreign peace. I suppose that means that internal struggle is coming!

Reactions:
We're getting close to the Irassian's cause of demise. When it is found I
bet the nations of earth will run over one another to ensure they can weaponise it before their rivals. Let's hope some non-proliferation treaty can be quickly reached.

Fun fact, I've never finished the Irassian event chain before, so I had to look up some of the events to make sure I didn't contradict any later information. And I've also never gotten to a crisis, despite playing this game since launch. So it's going to be interesting when (if) we get to that.

So it looks like the SSA isn't significantly hampered in its expansion and can look forward to some foreign peace. I suppose that means that internal struggle is coming!

Of course. You can't expect people to just get along.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Tannenberg
Tannenberg​

April 2147 - Al-Aziz - Erzal’s Grill & Bar

WZXBtrZ.jpg

The corporate colony of Al-Aziz was well known for its nightlife, with almost every interest catered to. It was generally considered a perk for whoever worked there and was often listed as such in recruitment brochures.​

“Maybe I’m just an idiot, but I still don’t get why the war started,” Jarzom said as he put the mug down. “The introduction said some guy got shot, but how does that translate to years of bloody fighting?”
“I did some research before, and I think I have the basic gist of it,” Velim said. “Basically, the guy who got shot was the heir to one of the big empires fighting the war. When he was killed, the government tried to punish the nation responsible, but they were allied with the Russians. And the Russians had other allies, and it all spiralled out of control from there.”
“That’s pretty stupid,” Jarzom said.
“I think the Humans agree with you there,” Velim said with a smirk.

A waitress came up with three new mugs of Veltech brand zorum. Arvon wasn’t a big fan of Veltech, but they had the intoxicant monopoly on Al-Aziz. It was one of the small annoyances of his new job.

“So what do you think about the film overall?” Arvon asked his two friends.
“It was frikkin’ weird,” Jarzom said. “Not in a bad way, but I don’t think I really understood it. Beyond there being a big battle and one side getting their ass handed to them.”

That wasn’t unexpected. Jarzom liked films, but he wasn’t exactly what you would consider a film connoisseur. He watched all the big blockbusters but ask him if he wanted to see something a bit more cerebral or experimental he would probably fall asleep in his seat. Still, he was an important data point. If someone like Jarzom liked the film, then odds were good it would do well on the general market.

And he didn’t need to go far to see the reaction. The bar was full of satisfied moviegoers discussing Tannenberg. Maybe he should do a round before he left and ask for their opinions. It would do well in his report to his superiors.

“What about you, Velim?”
“I think I’ll have to watch it again. To make sure I understand it properly. Maybe do some research into the war so I get the full context.”
“You’re in luck,” Arvon said. “We’re working to localise a twenty-part Human documentary about the war. Should hopefully release next month.”
“Hmm… I don’t know if I want to wait a whole month. I’ll think about it.”

“So how are the Humans reacting?” Jarzom asked. “I read that they would get one of our films as part of the arrangement.”
“Yeah. They’re showing ’Storm Lord: Rise of Vile League’ now.”
“Oh, man! They’re in luck. That fight between Storm Lord and Abanazar at the end was awesome.”
“We have a very different idea of awesome. And luck,” Velim said. “I couldn’t stop rolling my eyes during that film. I hope the Humans have better taste than Jarzom.”
“I guess it depends on your point of view. Most of the reviews we’ve gotten translated and sent back are saying stuff like ‘incomprehensible’ and ‘I had no idea who these characters were’. But most viewings are sold out.”

Velim frowned. “Wait, did they release the film without the previous, what, twenty films?”
“Seventeen. And yes.”
“Well, that’s stupid. Why would they do that?”
“There was a lot of hype surrounding the film,” Arvon said, taking a sip of his zorum. He grimaced. It tasted like it had been fermented in a toilet.

The real reason the latest Storm Lord film had been released in the Human market was the opposite of there being a lot of hype. The Storm Lord films, and the entire extended Nervern universe, were falling in the charts. Slowly, but the general audience included a lot more Velims than Jarzoms these days. The board hoped to pump the numbers before the next investor meeting by tapping into the massive Human market.

“We’re releasing the other films in order in the coming months. Maybe their opinions will change once they get proper context.”
“I hope we get more Human films as well,” Velim said.
“We will. The next one is supposed to be about the ‘Syndicalist War’, which happened a few decades after the war depicted in Tannenberg.”
“Wait, I thought that war was supposed to be the ‘War to end all wars’?”
“Yeah. It didn’t work.”
“The Humans were at war when we made first contact with them, so clearly not,” Velim said.

Jarzom leaned back in his seat and took a deep chug of his zorum. He liked the Veltech zorum, a fact that Arvon struggled to accept.
“I wonder if we’ll ever get to visit the Humans.”
“It might be possible, at some point. But they’re pretty far away,” Arvon said. “Even sending simple messages to them is stupidly expensive.”
“I would love to talk to them about film,” Velim said. “Either over messages, or in person over drinks. That would be so cool.”

Arvon didn’t disagree. They seemed like an interesting bunch. And there were lots of potential for cultural exchange.

He took another sip, and for a moment Arvon thought about serving Veltech zorum to Humans. Maybe they would like it. Another cultural exchange. Or maybe it would poison them.

* * *​

Despite Humanity having been in contact with alien life for decades, the effects of it on daily life had mostly been limited to existential dread brought on by the Lavis Republic. With that threat gone, there was little to take its place. With the exception of the Beldross Hive’s embassy making occasional public appearances, one could be forgiven for thinking Earth had never made contact. That was about to change.

In early 2147, the Welfon-Boordar Trade Association approached the Executive Council about a formal trade agreement. There had been some trade prior to this, mostly art and cultural crafts being bought by collectors on both sides. However, travel times were long and the trade routes required travelling through Beldross territory. While the Beldross were, for the time, okay with Human cargo ships traversing their space, it did increase the risk of any venture. As a result, alien culture was mostly limited to wealthy collectors and a handful of museums, like the Louvre and the newly established Stettin Museum of Space Exploration and Off-World Culture[1].

9HUhgUi.jpg

While alien art and culture were limited, technological achievements from space exploration were consistent crowd-pleasers. Shown: a Focke-Wulf TA 1400 high-altitude exploration craft on display at the National Museum of Science and Technology in Spain. The FW TA 1400 was essentially a one-man rocketship, used to explore the upper atmosphere of various planets. The craft was a core component of any expedition until 2134, when they were retired in favour of the 1450 model.
(Art by Ben Andrews)​

Most of the items were also either high art or archaeological artefacts recovered from various dig sites. The WBTA recognised this, and saw an opportunity. While the Russalka phones had limited bandwidth and were prioritised for diplomatic, military and economic communication, they did spend a lot of time dormant. The WBTA thus suggested that this downtime be used to transmit various bits of popular media for distribution in their respective markets.

2u1GLZb.jpg

The trade agreement did favour the WBTA somewhat, but it was not to such an extent that Humanity considered declining the offer. While the Executive Council were keen on more trade, their main goal was good relations with one of the major powers in what was a potential powder keg.​

The idea was warmly welcomed, and arrangements were put in place for both parties to distribute films in their territory.

The Human film was the 2114 Russo-German co-production Tannenberg, a loose adaptation of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn’s August 1914. Released on the second centennial of the battle, the film was a massive success, earning seven Riefenstahl awards[2]. There were some concerns that a film about a bloody battle might not show Humanity in its best light, but these concerns were dismissed[3].

The Suramo sent Storm Lord: Rise of Vile League, the 18th film in a long-running series. The film depicted Beramo Cilym, also known as Storm Lord, as he battled the Vile League. Storm Lord, who had gained the power to control the weather after a freak accident with cosmic rays two films earlier, was a long-running character in the extended Nervern universe. A billionaire entrepreneur who used his powers to defend the weak, Storm Lord was originally conceived as the ‘ideal Suramo businessman’.

Both films were lambasted by reviewers in their respective markets. Storm Lord was released out of order, yet the film assumed the audience's familiarity with the characters. Tannenberg fared better in this regard, as the distributors had decided to tack on a fifteen-minute introduction to the cause of the First Weltkrieg. But trying to explain European geopolitics to an audience who had never heard of Europe was an uphill battle.

Despite a poor critical reception, the films were massively successful, with sold-out theatres for weeks. This paved the way for more cultural exchange and more films. The Suramo would release The Grey Sword, the first film in the Nervern universe. Humanity would release the English 1987 classic Two Minutes to Noon, about the nuclear bombing of London, Oswald Mosley’s refusal to surrender and the ensuing coup d’etat.

But it was not only commercial interests the WBTA was interested in. In 2148, they would approach Humanity about a technology-sharing agreement. When the Administration Assembly debated the proposal they rejected it with 97% of the vote. Technological superiority, especially the Ocelot-class gunships, had been critical to winning the Second Lavis War. As such, Humanity guarded its advantage jealously, even to potentially friendly parties.

E9BQEmD.jpg

While the Suramo offer was attractive, Humanity’s experiences with aliens were still influenced by their experiences with the Lavis Republic. Many feared it would take decades before Humanity could stand shoulder to shoulder to shoulder with other species and not worry about being stabbed in the back.​

If the Suramo were disappointed, they did not show it. As soon as it was clear that Humanity would reject their proposal, they switched tack. If they could not get technology, maybe they could instead get peace.

wJ78BFZ.jpg

The Suramo’s suggestion of a non-aggression pact had a much warmer reception in the Administration Assembly. It passed with 86% of the vote. Most of those voting against it were the Japanese delegation and a handful of non-interventionists who were afraid of any deeper entanglements in the region.​

Beyond this, it was a quiet period for Humanity. Slowly, Humanity would expand into the Light’s End cluster, the former Lavis - Beldross border. Light’s End was strategically important, as the system housed an L-gate.

NMH7p7W.jpg

The L-gates were more leftovers from the last cycle. Part of a poorly understood transportation system, the one at Light’s End showed signs of being tampered with. Scientists hoped further study could unlock its secrets.​

Beyond the L-gate, the cluster was also home to a spinward hyperlane. It was hoped that given time this could be used to find a trade route to the WBTA. However, the SSA had neither the resources, nor the inclination, to expand spinwards. As such, the Executive Council proposed the Von Rad decree[4], stating that Humanity would, for the time, not expand spinward of the Light’s End cluster. The statement was mostly targeted at the alien states in the region. Humanity was interested in good, or at least decent, relations, and would not compromise them for simple territorial gain.

This proposal met with some resistance in the Assembly, once again from the Japanese, but also from other parties who saw it as Humanity giving up the initiative. However, the measure passed after a fair bit of behind-the-scenes horse-trading and assurances.

RiFPaZK.jpg

Former Lavis - Beldross border, now Human - Beldross border. The Beldross defence stations were built sometime before the Second Lavis War. The fact that the Beldross were trying to defend the entire border instead of pulling back a few systems and concentrating their defences gave key insights into Beldross military thinking. Raumstreitkräfte planners wondered if this blunder was representative of their military.​

There had been a hope that Humanity claiming the Light’s End cluster would keep the spinward hyperlane unclaimed, but the Beldross were of a different mind. It is unclear if the hive mind was making a deliberate provocation, or was operating according to the letter of the Von Rad decree. Regardless, the Hive expanded past the Human border systems, cutting their territory in two. While the existing freedom of navigation treaties with the Hive meant that there was no immediate problem, it could become a strategic wrinkle for both sides. However, that was a problem for another day.

This was of little concern domestically. Instead, the issue of colonising rights reared its head once again. The previous three ships had only just left Earth when the SSA announced that they were starting to plan for an expedition to Tazri B III. Another ocean world, this world was so far the most far-flung, almost at the border to the Rixi.

vEjM0eC.jpg

Unlike the somewhat marginal moons that had been previously colonised, Tazri B III was considered a valuable prize for whichever government got it. While poor in minerals and possessing an especially strong magnetic field, the sheer size of the planet gave it massive potential.​

Having dealt with the Japanese in the previous game of colonial rights\musical chairs, the Great Powers were ready to divvy the rest of Human space up between their allies. Among those in the inner circles, it was understood that the next expedition would be a joint expedition between Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales. All were well inside the German fold, and together they possessed enough economic power to pay for the expedition on their own. Thus, when the “Equality Among the Stars” campaign launched, it caused a bit of derailment[5].

The Equality Among the Stars campaign’s demands were simple enough. With the establishment of the South American colony of Lluvia underway, only one (populated) continent did not have their own colony: Africa.

If this campaign unsettled the Germans, they did not show it. The plans for a joint expedition were shelved, and a new plan headed by the Central African Federation was proposed instead. The sudden turnabout by the Germans caused whiplash among the EAtS’ campaigners, who had clearly expected more opposition[6]. While some members claimed that the CAF was just another German puppet, the majority welcomed the shift with open arms.

On the 9th of April, 2148, the Administration Assembly voted that Tazri B III was to be settled by the Central African Federation. The new colony would be named Nzau, after Günther Nzau, the first president of the CAF, and the venture would receive financial backing from the German state.

As the end of Humanity’s first half-century in space came to a close, the mood was once again elated. It seemed that Humanity was on the cusp of another golden age, and all they would have to do was seize it. But there was one more surprise before the decade was over.

On the 11th of November, 2149, Japanese state media announced that the Divine Emperor Tomohito had reascended to godhood.

[1] - The latter had, rather controversially, several items taken from the Ring. While many of these items would either be given back or have some sort of leasing agreement worked out, some were never returned. Rather infamously, the museum refused any requests to return the Rose Casket.

[2] - Including Best Acting, Best Film, Best Directing, Best Screenplay, Best Score, Best Costuming and Best Visual Effects.

[3] - War films had also been the backbone of the German, and later European, film scene since the First Weltkrieg. Many of the most acclaimed and profitable films ever made were war films.

[4] - Named after Julia von Rad, the German representative to the Executive Council who had spearheaded the initiative

[5] - A popular conspiracy theory at the time claimed that the campaign was the result of Japanese agitation. There is no real evidence of this, but the theory has remained popular. Largely thanks to Crown Prince Yutahito actions a few years later.

[6] - A few years after the campaign had dissolved, boxes of leaflets were found abandoned in a warehouse. Many of these leaflets were much more critical of the Great Powers, and often used quite harsh language.

• 7Like
Reactions:
That was a solid update. Although I missed several chapters and now I feel like Velim and Jarzom watching ww1 movies (It's really cool to portray commercial pact as an exchange of mass entertainment).

• 2Haha
Reactions:
The future looks bright for humanity!
Those were interesting choices for first-contact films but I suppose you have to start somewhere and seeing aliens acting is its own appeal

The Confederacy
The Confederacy​

November 2150 - Berlin - Deutscher Reichsrundfunk Studio 6

39x42uN.jpg

Guten Morgen Deutschland was one of Deutscher Reichsrundfunk’s most important shows, having been on air continuously since 2007. Thanks to a combination of high viewership and softball questions, most prominent German politicians would find themselves on the show dozens of times over their careers.
(Art by Yaroslav Kononenko)​

Anja Bornemann shifted in her chair as the man behind the camera counted down. Despite years of media training, the final few seconds before the cameras turned on were always nerve-wracking. Opposite her sat both hosts with that professional calmness. She wondered if they were used to it, or just good at hiding it.

“Six, five, four.” The cameraman counted the last three seconds down with his fingers.
“Welcome back, Germany,” Albin Mucke said to the camera. “It seems Bayern FC did quite well last night. I’m sure the people on Großbayern will be quite pleased when the news reaches them. Did you see the game, Clara?”
“You know I don’t watch people run after a ball, Albin”, Clara Blumenberg said with a well-practised smile.
“You don’t know what excitement you’re missing. Anyway…” Mucke turned to Anja with an equally practised smile. “Today we’re joined by Anja Bornemann, who is heading the Deutschkonservative Partei’s list in the upcoming Confederate election. Anja, welcome.”

“Thank you, Albin. It’s a pleasure to be here.”
“Anja, this must be terribly exciting,” Blumenberg said. “The first election to this new Confederate assembly. You could be making history.”
“Oh, I intend to. And yes, it is quite exciting. Nobody really knows what to expect.”

“What do you hope to achieve, should you be elected?”
Should I be elected, Anja mused. She topped the DKP list, which basically guaranteed her a seat, barring the entire party dissolving in the coming months. Still, campaigning required some degree of polite fiction.

“We intend to keep a firm course, making sure that both German and Human interests are maintained as we deal with the various alien realms to our galactic west.”

She’d spent days with her team formulating that statement. The truth was they didn’t have any real policy. Nobody did. There was such broad consensus that there was effectively no difference in policy between the SPD, the DKP, the DRP or Zentrum. The only ones with differing policies were the Einheitspartei, who wanted to poke the hornet’s nest to the west with the fleets, and the Syndicalists, who wanted to dissolve the confederate project before it began.

“And how are you intending to achieve that?” Mucke asked. “Fleet expansion? Diplomatic overtures to the aliens?”
“Well, the Raumstreitkräfte will be taking much firmer control of the fleet under the new system, so the question of fleet expansion will be left to the Reichstag. As to diplomatic overtures, I suspect those will be present, if limited. The reality is that they’re still incredibly far away. Though I suspect we will continue getting alien cinema in our theatres.”

“Ahh… Yes,” Blumenberg said with a smile that looked like it had been stapled in place. “They’re quite a sensory experience.”
I guess that’s one way to describe incomprehensible drivel.

“Speaking of aliens, not all of them are beyond our borders,” Mucke said. “There have been some concerns about the changes happening on the Ring. Could you perhaps explain some of these to our viewers?”
“I understand that people are concerned about the situation on the Ring, but I want to assure everyone that we will not let the Lavis Republic re-emerge. The changes are fairly minor and entirely confined to the Ring. In fact, I spoke to Admiral Xian Shen a few weeks back, and she made it clear that she will not allow a resurgent Lavis Republic.”

“I understand that Admiral Shen is also running for a seat in the assembly. Representing China?” Blumenberg said.
“Yes. Lovely woman, and I look forward to working with her. She has a clarity of purpose that I wish more politicians had.”

“Well, she certainly showed the weeds back during the war. They’d be insane to invite another Battle of Lav,” Mucke said.
Anja did her most practised PR smile. “Are we allowed to say that on TV?”
Blumenberg laughed without missing a beat. It was a very strange laugh. Disarming, yet it cut through the conversation like a railgun shot.

“The subject of colonisation rights has come up time and time again. It seems every time we find a planet, there is a fight for it. Do you think that these reforms can bring some sense of order to these proceedings?”
It was an expert deflection. Time would tell if it worked. But it allowed Anja to talk about the few bits of policy she actually had, so it was a win in her book.

“Well, you are right that the issue is always somewhat… chaotic. But this is one field where–”
The producer waved cut from behind the camera. The cameras cut immediately. Both hosts gave him a side eye, but remained seated.

“I’m sorry everyone. We’ve just been cut for breaking news.”
“What’s going on?” Anja asked. She hadn’t been briefed on any pressing issues.
“I don’t know. They just gave me fifteen seconds to cut the feed. The last time it was this urgent, the weeds declared war on us.”

That chilled the room several degrees. Behind the cameras, one of the technicians switched on a TV. It showed the DRR breaking news screen. Slowly, people gathered around the TV.

It didn’t take long before Hans Egon Weisz appeared on screen in a black suit and a solemn face. Anja knew it would be bad. Weisz was the DRR’s top presenter, but his makeup was shoddy. It had clearly been done in a hurry.

"Good morning. We apologize for the interruption, but the DRR has an important announcement." Weisz licked his lips. "The Imperial Household has just announced the death of Kaiser Wilhelm lX. The Kaiser passed away peacefully in his sleep last night. The Kaiserin has been informed, and the Chancellor will hold a press conference at eleven. The DRR will now run a special report on the death of the Kaiser."

The screen faded to black as sombre music began playing. The room was quiet.
Well fuck… Anja thought.

* * *​

The death of Divine Emperor Tomohito, posthumous name Kōmyō, came as a shock to the population of Japan. The announcement, delivered by a pair of openly weeping NHK newscasters, came from the blue and resulted in a month-long mourning period.

Outside Japan, the news was far less shocking, at least among those that paid any attention to the region. Emperor Tomohito’s declining health had been clear for a long time, with Chinese and Korean intelligence suspecting that he’d been suffering from bowel cancer. The fact that bowel cancer was an easily treatable disease in most developed nations was seen as further proof of Japan’s backward neo-feudal society.

Tomohito’s son, Nagahito, was enthroned only days after the mourning period ended. It did not take long before he showed how his character differed from his father.

qYlzQ9V.jpg

Nagahito in his official portrait. Little was known about him, with conflicting reports that he had attended university in Beijing, Bern and Paris. Even his age was uncertain, with most analysts putting him somewhere between thirty and forty-five.
(Art by Yang Yang)​

The first signs came during his father’s funeral service, where he claimed to have been approached by the sun god Amaterasu herself. In this supposed meeting, Ameratsu had told him that she had abandoned Japan because of corruption brought to the island by foreigners after the end of the Sakoku in 1868. This corruption, and the lack of Ameratsu’s guidance, had gradually caused the nation to decay, leading to the disastrous war with Russia in the 1940s. In the two centuries since then, Japan had languished in decay and stagnation. But now Ameratsu had returned, to lead the Japanese to restored greatness. And Divine Emperor Nagahito would be her tool.

While how the Japanese public reacted to this was difficult to assess, the reaction outside of Japan was one of ridicule. Especially in Korea, where “speaking to Ameratsu” became a common punchline. In diplomatic and intelligence circles, most adopted a “wait and see” approach. They didn’t have to wait long.

Three weeks following Nagahito's enthronement, vast police raids were conducted across Japan. Hundreds of business leaders, military officers and political leaders were arrested, most notably Prime Minister-for-Life Furukawa. In all cases, the charge was the same: high treason. The punishment was always death.

2DcPGtP.jpg

While most of those arrested were subjected to a short show trial before facing a firing squad, the senior members of the military and previous government faced a significantly more spectacular end. Former Prime Minister-for-Life Furukawa and his cabinet were executed by a 16-gun artillery battery.​

This naturally caused a fair bit of concern in East Asia, as the new Emperor also regularly railed against the “corrupt Great Powers”, castigating them regularly in television and radio addresses. However, there was little concrete action taken by the Emperor. The most significant was the redeployment of the handful of Japanese troops still stationed on the Ring.

This was a relatively minor issue for the Great Powers, as the Ring was at this point largely policed by the Lilarobius themselves. What raised eyebrows was that the troops were not brought back to Earth, but instead deployed to Hoshi no Umi. The Japanese colony had only become self-sufficient a few months earlier. The Japanese government also began shipping in colonists at an unprecedented rate, with ships packed to the brim with cryo-pods. While hard numbers are difficult to get, most estimates put as many as 50.000 individuals per ship, more than five times as many as the largest, specially-designed, colony ships would carry.

At the same time, reports from the Japanese countryside told of entire villages being marched to the nearest spaceport, often at gunpoint. Orbital imaging corroborated this, with not only villages, but also entire cities being devoid of life. In September of 2150, Emperor Nagahito announced what was already clear to everyone watching: the Empire of Japan was leaving Earth.

6ppkGsE.jpg

One of the many Japanese villages abandoned by the Japanese. Many of these places were abandoned on very short notice. In some places, meals were discovered half eaten.​

While Nagahito’s speech confirmed what most analysts had long suspected, his motives left most people baffled. Nagahito stated that Amaterasu had relocated to the Collodor system, and that the Japanese people had to follow to escape the corruption of Earth, which was at this point beyond saving. Japan also claimed all space spinwards of the Ring[1] and renamed the star Collodor to Amaterasu. Then, as a final act, he formally withdrew Japan from the Space Security Administration.

The reaction on Earth was one of shock, mostly due to the utter bizarreness of the whole ordeal. The Japanese had for decades been regarded as something of a geopolitical punchline. Their contributions during the war had shifted this perception somewhat, but that was gone in an instant. Their claim to all the space spinwards of the Ring in particular was seen as a joke, as the Japanese Empire possessed no warships of their own, and the Collodor system did not have anything that could function as a shipyard.

There was a certain uncertainty regarding what to do with the situation. Most were just happy to see the Japanese go[2]. The Administration Assembly did address the matter by issuing a proclamation that outlined all star systems that the SSA considered Human territory. This proclamation included the newly renamed Amaterasu system, but it did not mention the Empire of Japan in any way. A few patrols were redirected to the Amaterasu system for "routine patrols", but beyond this there was no concrete action.

The closest anyone got to any acknowledgement of the situation was when Korean kaikyō gyomin and citizens of the Stellar Republic of Bitoku returned to the abandoned home islands and established the Japanese Republic. This new nation considered itself the legitimate successor state to the Empire of Japan. While formal recognition would take a few years, de facto recognition of the republic only took a few weeks.

Japan leaving the SSA did, however, highlight the cracks in the existing system. The Space Security Administration had been born in a time of crisis, and it showed in its institutions. The four Great Powers held all the power, the off-world colonies operated under martial law and the entire system existed to supply the Navy with the resources needed to fight an enemy that had been defeated years ago. Since the end of the war, there had been more and more calling for a change to the existing system. Now they had a light shining right at them.

One man in particular was ready to enter the spotlight: Fabian Joseph Ross. Long considered Anna Schumacher’s protege, Ross was determined to improve Schumacher's work by making it more sustainable and fair. To that end, he worked across both political lines and borders. The group, formally known as the "Space Security Administration Reform League" but just as often called "The Reformists", had members in most major countries, as well as a concrete plan for a new system.

8bRyBSS.jpg

Ross had impeccable political credentials. He served as an Oberbootsmann in the Raumstreitkräfte during the First Lavis War, being present during the First Battle of Alpha Centauri. During the battle, a railgun shot passed through his right leg and he almost died from shock and blood loss. After being medically discharged, he studied law, which eventually led him into politics.​

As the name suggested, the Reformists wanted to change the Space Security Administration, but unlike more radical groups, they still wanted to preserve the core. With the threat of war an increasingly distant memory, the highly centralized structure of the SSA was no longer seen as critical. Ross and his compatriots thus proposed a much looser confederacy. Humanity would be united in matters of defence and interstellar diplomacy, but the nations of Earth would be much freer in choosing their own path,

To this end, the proposal called for the Executive Council to be disbanded and for the Administration Assembly's power to be expanded. They would serve as the confederacy's basis for collective action; be that trade negotiations or war. All member states would get a voice in the Assembly, with an executive branch appointed by the Assembly.

In return, they would have to pledge 2% of their GDP to "Confederate assets" (a loose category that included everything from warships to land surveyors). This percentage would rise to 5% for nations with a colony[3]. These confederate assets would belong to their respective governments, but would be available for “united actions”.

This arrangement was critical in getting the proposal off the ground. Following the Second Lavis War, there had been growing tensions between the fleets of the various Great Powers. The Raumstreitkräfte especially chafed under “foreign command”, while the other fleets often accused the Germans of not sharing critical information. The issue wasn’t dire, the fleets worked well enough together while on exercise, but the cracks were there to see by anyone who cared to look. All the Great Powers, but especially Germany, thus welcomed more direct control and military independence.

However, the proposal was not just for the benefit of the larger nations. Several smaller countries also stood to benefit. The cost of operating just a small patrol craft was sometimes larger than entire nations’ military budgets and some nations, like Iceland and Wales, didn’t have a military. Thus, the flexible nature of Confederate assets was appealing. It allowed nations to contribute in other ways, be it with scientific and technical expertise, transport ships or simply labour.

While the plan did have considerable support, there were still issues. The biggest was the number of seats in the Assembly. And this was a point where Ross and the rest of his reformers didn’t have a good answer at the ready. Some countries wanted one seat per nation, while others wanted the number of seats to be proportional to the nation's population. The former naturally gave smaller nations a disproportionate amount of say, which the Great Powers and several other populous nations were less keen on. While small countries feared being steamrolled by said populous nations.

The debates regarding this were frequent and heated. In one memorable instance, the Chinese foreign minister, Zheng Geming, was debating his Welsh counterpart, and remarked that “the fate of China should not be decided by a bunch of sheep– farmers”. This comment took on a life of its own in the British Isles, with a lot of jokes about which word Zheng had intended to use. He would later apologise for the statement, after which the Welsh invited him to come and “meet the sheep”, but similar outbursts were not uncommon.

As the debates were raging, another issue reared its head to take advantage of the situation. On the Ring, several Lilarobius groups got together and began protesting the occupation government, demanding free elections and a greater say in how the Ring was governed. While the movement had wide support among the populace, it was largely led by students.

At first Human forces on the Ring were put on high alert, with several orbiting spacecraft getting into position to provide orbital support if necessary. However, the protests were remarkably peaceful, with the protester picking up litter after their speeches. This went on for another few days without incident, until the protestors marched on the residence of Black Tupelo, who was the head of the collaborator government installed by the SSA.

The protest started out peacefully. But fifty-three minutes after the first protestors arrived, a shot was fired from Black Tupelo’s residence. The guards responded by panic firing into the gathered crowd. In the end, seven were killed, while another thirty-eight were wounded. Black Tupelo contacted Olivia Schöll, the commander of Human ground forces on the Ring, asking for assistance in dealing with the protestors. She dispatched her forces, but when they arrived she arrested Black Tupelo and their entire security detail.

MZZPID8.jpg

The Governor’s residence following Black Tupelo’s arrest. A few overzealous members of their security detail decided to open fire on Schöll’s forces, with predictable results. Their deflating gas bladders caused an explosion and the resulting fire took hours to get under control.
(Art by Pablo Palomeque)​

Back on Earth, this became another headache for the reformers. The Lilarobians were well aware of what was happening on Earth, and some of them suggested that they should be represented in the Assembly as well. This was a complete non-starter for Humanity. While Human-Lilarobius relations were better than during the war, they were still far from good. Human distrust was deeply rooted, and it was not improved by occasional skirmishes between Local forces and xenophobic groups wanting to restore the Lavis Republic.

Despite this, it was clear that things also had to change on the Ring. The protests were peaceful, for now. But that could change. So the matter was discussed, but unlike the debates concerning confederation, the issue of the Ring was dealt with behind closed doors.

On the 5th of October, almost a year after the death of Emperor Tomohito, an extended session of the Administration Assembly was held. There were two topics on the docket. The first was the issue of home rule on the Ring.

The establishment of home rule on the Ring passed with 72% of the vote. It was, however, somewhat watered down compared to what the protestors had wanted. The resolution called for a parliament to be established and elections to be held, but all political parties had to be vetted by local Human forces. Groups or individuals with connections to the previous government, or groups in favour of restoring the Lavis Republic, were also barred from standing for election. The authority of the new parliament was also confined to the Ring. They would still require Human approval for any off-Ring activity. They would also not be represented in the new Confederate Assembly.

The Confederation Assembly and the Confederation of Sol were of course the subjects of the second item on the docket. The motion passed unanimously, but this was the result of ruthless backroom politicking. The issue of seats had been resolved in a matter everyone found unsatisfactory: every country would receive two representatives regardless of population, with additional seats distributed according to population over 10 million[4]. In addition, a nation with off-world colonies had to reserve some of its seats for these colonies. This was an attempt to forestall any “colonial tea parties”.

All in all, the Great Powers gave up a significant amount of formal power. Under the SSA, as long as the Great Powers were reasonably united in a course of action, they could overrule the Assembly. Under the new system, they were all equal, at least in theory. In reality, they had enough allies and friends to shift most votes in the desired direction. It would just require more soft power compared to before.

As3eic2.jpg

The flag of the Sol Confederacy was based on the old “map-flag” of the Space Security Administration. It abandoned the old style of stars in relative position to Earth, for one that just had a star per colony. Notably, and somewhat controversially, it included a star for Hoshi No Umi, despite the Empire of Japan not being a member of the Confederacy. The flag also didn’t include any reference to the Ring, but an unofficial alternative flag that incorporated the Ring did exist. This flag was popular both with Human-supremacists and pro-Lilarobius groups, if for very different reasons.​

New elections were scheduled for January the next year, with the Confederacy formally assembling in March. However, the Universe had one last wrinkle to throw into Humanity's plans.

On the 3rd of November, 2150, Deutscher Reichsrundfunk announced that Kaiser Wilhelm IX had passed away in his sleep at the age of 91.

IAnuKcM.jpg

Kaiser Wilhelm IX, here shown at age 44. The Kaiser was a constant through the early space age, and a symbol of calm during the Lavis Wars. Wilhelm's personal life, however, was defined by tragedy. Both his children were killed by an avalanche while on a ski trip to the Alps and his wife, Charlotte, passed away 14 years later. While never confirmed, the cause of her death is widely speculated to be liver cirrhosis.​

The news struck like a bomb in Germany. Kaiser Wilhelm’s reign had been one of the longest in German history and many Germans had no concept of a different monarch. His sudden and unexpected death made the whiplash even more pronounced. Chancellor von Meyer announced a two-week mourning period and revealed the plans for the late Kaiser’s funeral. He also attended a formal meeting with his sister and new Kaiserin, Victoria.

cEcmtGU.jpg

Kaiserin Victoria ascended to the throne at age 75. Victoria had been the heir presumptive for decades, ever since the death of her nephew and niece. She had been well prepared for the position, but in a later interview she noted that “It was all a bit overwhelming. This isn’t something you really can prepare for.”
(Art by DragonReine)​

The death of Kaiser Wilhelm proved a hurdle for German politicians preparing for the upcoming Confederate elections, who suddenly found themselves locked into a political truce. Nobody wanted to be the first to start talking politics, and even if they did it wasn’t clear if they would have an audience. In the end, most of them had to make do with severely limited campaigns.

Kaiser Wilhelm was buried on the 20th of November in a state funeral that saw representatives from all around the world. Memorial services were held on Neu Brandenburg and Großbayern as well. Even the Board of Directors of the Welfon-Boordar Trade Association sent their condolences. Despite being invited to the funeral, the Beldross embassy on Earth did not respond.

As Germany mourned, Humanity prepared to enter a new era. One marked by a new sense of unity and cooperation. They were not the only ones with this dream.

[1] - This included space currently controlled by the Beldross Hive, the WBTA and other spacefaring species. The SSA issued a statement to all states in the region that the Japanese Empire did not represent the SSA as a whole, and that they would deal with the issue if it ever moved beyond words.

[2] - There were fierce debates among Human rights activists. Several groups saw the exodus as a further entrenching of Japan’s neo-feudal system, and now without the possibility of escape across the Straits of Tsushima. These groups wanted the Great Powers to intervene. However, this was a tough sell, with many citing Germany’s terrible track record as Weltpolizei. Besides, the issue was moot, as the Great Powers were not interested in any kind of intervention.

[3] - The nations of South America were given a 25-year exemption from this increase due to the poor state of their finances. Germany, on the other hand, agreed to pay 7% due to owning two colonies, but only after long negotiations.

[4] - The clear winners here were the various nations of the Indian subcontinent, which had a large population distributed over two dozen nations. There were concerns that the Indian states would be able to dominate Confederate politics, but the chronic infighting between them made this unlikely.

Apologies for being gone so long. Some personal issues, poor time management on my part and this being much longer than I expected meant it took forever to write. The next part should be shorter.
(Why do I keep lying to myself?)

• 5Like
Reactions:
No worries, I've been busy as well and only recently updated my own AAR, so we're in a similar boat.

This was an enjoyable update, your narrative of the slow process of creating a unified human space polity is really good. One hopes that the new improved SSA is able to make space federalism work.

Nice to see humanity opening it's arms, if ever so slightly, to the aliens. Still, the Lavis will be a point of contention for a very long time.

And I'm interested to see how the new 'pure' Japanese homeland develops. Mad cult colony? Religious theocracy? Or just plain old totalitarian dictatorship? And when will the rest of Earth intervene?

Plenty of interesting developments going on!
I expect the new space Japan will be the cause for endless diplomatic incidents, if they manage to survive in their new world.
As for the Confederacy, it seems like an interesting project, we'll have to see how well it works out.
I wonder how much Kaiserin Victoria will affect German politics in the next years

This is an interesting premise and I plan on checking this out once I have a free moment. As a person of German extraction, it'll be interesting to see what happens in this alternate timeline!

• 1Like
Reactions:
New Ventures
New Ventures​

June 2155 - Autumn Hills Special Economic District - Velidas Corporation Factory #1

IaIjxzF.jpg

The Velidas Corporation invested heavily into the Ring, making the Autumn Hills SED their chief manufacturing hub outside their home system. They would be rewarded greatly for their efforts, becoming synonymous with state-of-the art electronics in much of Human space.
(Art by Stephen Turner)​

Meinare watched as the assembly lines hummed with activity. Every single one of them brand new. Every single one churning out products for the Human market. Every single one of them worked by hordes of Lilarobious. They all swayed back and forth, anchored at the production line, tentacles applying glue, fixing parts together, inspecting the result. Most factories had a hypnotising elegance to them, but the bobbing of the Lilarobious took it to new heights.

“This is the main production line for small electronics,” Mr. Faucher said, looking at a point somewhere in the middle of Meinare’s face.

According to anthropological reports, Humans valued eye contact just as much as Suramo. However, Human eyes were set much closer together and they struggled to meet both of her eyes at the same time. Some Humans chose one eye to focus on, while others, like Mr. Faucher, focused on some arbitrary point in the middle of her face.

She had no issues with maintaining eye contact, which she had already used to her advantage during contract negotiation. Her next report back to headquarters would include this tidbit. Her job on the Ring was as much a fact-finding mission as it was overseeing the new branch.

“Quite the operation, Mr. Faucher,” Meinare said. “Though I was under the impression the Humans valued automation.”
“You are correct, and if you ever decide to establish similar operations on Earth or one of the colonies, that will also be the case. But this is the Ring. Here, machines are expensive and labour is cheap.”

She knew this, of course. It was one of the main reasons they’d picked the Ring for their first branch office. But still, there were concerns.

“And what if wages were to increase?”
“They’re not,” Mr. Faucher said. He pointed into the distance. “During the invasion, the first troops landed about 20 kilometres that way. Uh, that would be just short of 7 sehors, I think. Point is, this was when the weeds still tried to fight back. This entire region was practically levelled.”

Meinare had seen it as she flew in. More than the ruined buildings and the massive tent cities, the landscape itself told the story. It wasn’t quite a moonscape, just a few years of erosion and plant life had covered the worst of the damage, but the signs were still there if you cared to look. Strange, undulating terrain with dozens of stagnant ponds. It reminded her of the pictures in her history books, the Third Merger War in particular.

“Even with the reconstruction efforts, unemployment in this area is still regularly above 40%. And if you can believe it, there are still worse places, so there is a steady stream of new people coming here looking for work. So even if we were to massively expand operations, I can guarantee that wages will remain low.”

Meinare nodded. The motion was strange. It made her eyestalks wobble, which made it difficult to focus. But among Humans, the motion expressed agreement or understanding. She would just have to get used to it. The Humans probably wouldn’t understand if she chittered. Or maybe Mr. Faucher would. He struck her as a very thorough, well-prepared man. Which was why they’d hired him, and why he was the second most well-paid individual on the Ring right now.

They kept moving along the assembly lines as Mr. Faucher kept talking about logistic chains onto and off the Ring. Until he suddenly stopped and looked at one specific Lilarobian.
“Ahh, Burr Oak! Come over here.”

How Mr. Faucher could tell the Lilarobious apart was beyond Meinare. To her, they all looked like identical gas bags. Humans were a bit easier to tell apart. They came in more colours and shapes and she could sometimes tell their faces apart. As long as they didn’t have beards.

The Lilarobian floated over to them. Slowly. Halting. They stopped in front of them, bobbing ever so slightly.
“This is Burr Oak, the local union leader. Burr Oak, this is Meinare em-Zaran, Branch Director and our boss.”
Meinare glanced sideways at Mr. Faucher. “Union leader?”
“Yes. The 1993 Convention on Labour Rights guarantees the right to join a union. We tried to argue that it didn’t apply, as the local government isn’t a signatory to the convention, but that didn’t hold up in court. Given the Ring’s… special… circumstance, the court considered the Ring to be under the governance of either Germany, Canada, Russia or China. Exactly which wasn’t clear, but they’ve all signed the convention, so the issue is moot.”

Burr Oak bobbed more and more, glowing eyes focused on a stain on the floor.
“Fortunately, the convention only specified that workers have the right to join ‘a union’. So we had some chats with Governor Laurel, with whom I have a very good working relationship, and we set up a local ‘citizen’s union’, which will allow local workers to address issues facing them.”

“That is… reassuring,” Meinare said, staring at the bobbing gasbag. “Mr. Faucher, I hope you will introduce me to Governor Laurel.”
“Of course. I have a tentative meeting scheduled next week, awaiting your approval.”
“Have there been any talk of… collective action?”
“There were some issues prior to our arrangement with the Governor. A few rabble-rousers who were… well… rousing. However, they were terminated after they failed a random drug test. Unfortunately, drug use has been a widespread problem following the War.”

Burr Oak stared at the stain on the floor with an intensity that should have made the concrete boil.
“The Velidas Corporation has a social responsibility to the denizens of the Ring. We can’t accept such wanton anti-social behaviour from our employees. Don’t you agree, Oak?”

Burr Oak’s gaze didn’t move from the stain. “Quite so, Mr. Faucher.” They finally looked up, staring at Mr. Faucher with the same intensity. Faucher, for his part, returned it like a mirror.

Meinare had heard some accounts from the Human-Lilarobious wars. To her, they seemed a bit silly. The Humans were gangly and strangely proportioned. The Lilorobians were floating fire hazards. The idea that they had been locked in an existential struggle at the same time as Meinare had finished up her internship had struck her as quite ridiculous. Looking at these two now, it was starting to make sense.

“I’m sorry, Sir, but is that all?” Burr Oak asked. “There is an issue with the hydraulic system here, and it needs my attention.”
“Of course. Don’t let us hold you.”

Burr Oak floated back to the machine they’d been working on. Mr. Faucher kept walking, looking rather satisfied.
“I took the liberty of ordering a well-aged single malt. According to our biochemists, it should be safe for Suramo consumption. Or maybe you would prefer something from your homeworld? We had a few bottles of Felsev sent to us prior to your arrival.”
Meinare didn’t say anything, limiting herself to pleasantries until they got back into the office.

“What was that?” she asked as soon as the door closed. “I’ve had to bust a few unions in my days, but that didn’t look like a union dispute.”
Mr. Faucher had put a few glasses on the massive desk in the centre of the office. Her desk. He was pouring a golden liquid into one of them. After filling one about a third, he looked to Meinare with a questioning look, motioning the bottle towards her. She nodded and he poured into the other glass.

“I understand that my demeanour might seem harsh to an outsider,” he said as he carried the glasses over and handed one to Meinare. After she accepted, he tapped his own glass to hers –possibly another Human custom– and took a sip. Meinare followed suit.

The taste was mild, somewhat warm at first. But it quickly turned into a burn as she swallowed. It had a certain kick. Certainly not as sweet as Felsev. Assuming her insides didn’t start bleeding in the coming hours, she could get used to this single malt stuff.

“What you have to remember about the weeds is that a few years ago, they tried to kill us all. For the second time.” Mr. Faucher downed the rest of his drink in one go. He grimaced as he swallowed. Meinare decided not to follow his lead. “And this was not some issue they had with Humanity. The Suramo, the Beldross, any sentient species, they wanted us dead. And I refuse to believe that this genocidal desire was the result of a handful of politicians who are now conveniently dead. No, mark my words: the weeds would still burn us alive if given the chance.”

As he spoke, Mr. Faucher got more and more animated. The calm aura he had projected on the factory floor was entirely gone. Instead there was anger. Anger and pain. She would have to look deeper into his past. There was something there.

“The politicians back on Earth have seen fit to give the weeds more of a say in what happens here. Well, I think that is a mistake. So now it is critical for those actually on the Ring to remind the Weeds of their place. Otherwise, we run the risk of having to deal with them again a few years down the line.”

Meinare had her doubts. The only ships in Lilarobian hands were the ragtag Remnant Fleet running around in WBTA space and those ships were only a threat to their crews. But that was irrelevant. The issue was that Mr. Faucher believed that the Liliarobians were a threat.

She took his glass and walked over to the desk. “Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Mr. Faucher,” she said as she poured another drink for both of them. “And you are correct. We never had to deal with the Lavis Republic, and we do not understand the Lilarobians the same way you do. Which is why I appreciate your presence here. I hope you will continue to advise me on such matters, Mr. Faucher.”

She handed him one glass and he took it.
“To our new venture,” she said, and tapped her glass to his.

* * *​

2151 began with the largest single election in Human history. All across Earth, as well as several other planets and orbital installations, people cast their votes for their preferred candidate. Unlike the Space Security Administration, where several nations had refrained from joining due to political concerns, most nations joined the Confederation. Only three major nations abstained: the Australian State, the Indochinese Federation, and the Empire of Japan[1].

The resulting assembly ended up with politicians representing pretty much every somewhat mainstream ideology, as well as a few that were well outside of it. Because of this there were concerns that the Confederacy would fall into political gridlock. But a group of centrists (for a particularly wide definition of centrism) managed to pull together enough support to form a government.

72Sl78W.jpg

Dudás Viktória, the first Chancellor of the Confederacy of Sol. Dudás, like many up-and-coming politicians, had served during the Lavis Wars, albeit not in a frontline position. She had served in the logistics corps of the Danubian Bundesraummarine. Considered a masterful organiser, she was seen as a ‘safe’ candidate for the position.​

But there was little time to stand on ceremony. Dudás and her cabinet had only just been sworn in when issues began rolling in.

The first problem technically started before the Confederacy first met. A fleet of ramshackle ships appeared in the systems surrounding Ameratsu. At first they were believed to be the Lilarobian Remnant Fleet, returned to avenge their loss in the previous war. However, it soon became clear that the ships were even older than that. And also much more powerful. After round-the-clock work by linguists, Humanity was able to establish contact with the Fjasivlin Void Raiders.

rpzCAIy.jpg

The Fjasivlin Void Raiders were another victim of the violence that had consumed the last cycle. According to archives on the Ring, the Fjasivlin had once been a prosperous species with a modest empire spanning half a dozen worlds. However, the violence that had consumed the previous cycle had forced them to evacuate their worlds and instead live a harsh life on a handful of orbital stations. Resources were scarce, and the Fjasivlin were prone to infighting. But there was no denying that their circumstances had created fierce warriors.​

Initial diplomatic exchanges with the Fjasivlin were limited. Their culture was largely based around scavenging resources from the old, decaying orbital installations found scattered around the galaxy. Though in the last half century, they had also taken to raiding the various alien states that had taken to space. Most of the time they leveraged their powerful, if poorly maintained, ships to extract ‘tribute’ from other nations. Most of the time the nation in question gave the Fjasivlin what they wanted, but not always. In these events, the Fjasivlin employed a shocking amount of violence.

Given the Fjasivlin’s foreign policy, they were not forthright with where they operated from. But thanks to a combination of flattery, trickery and effective use of signal intelligence, Humanity was able to gather an approximate location near the galactic core. This placed them right next to the growing powder keg spinwards of Humanity.

zkvPQpJ.jpg

The Fjasivlin Warrior operated out of a handful of systems close to the galactic core. This location put them in a prime position to raid the WBTA, the Hierarchy of Hazi and the Versum Divine Empire. The polities in the area made frequent use of them as deniable assets, either employing them as mercenaries or bribing them to raid the enemy.​

Most analysts saw the Fjasivlin as a potential source of sparks. And the states in the region were piling on with more gunpowder. In late January, the Hazi would denounce the Beldross as an abominable mistake of nature[2]. The Beldross in turn would issue a statement the next month. On the surface, this statement was a simple development plan for several colonies. However, a handful of these worlds were under Hazar control. The implication was obvious.

rGKPy2p.jpg

The exact reason for the Hazi’s hostility to the Beldross was unclear. The leading theory at the time was that the Hierarchy needed an external enemy, and the Beldross was the most convenient one.​

Through all of this, Dudás, her cabinet and the Confederate Assembly debated what Humanity should do. Or if Humanity should do anything at all. There was little mainstream support for any military intervention and Humanity lacked the soft power required to intervene diplomatically in the region. And with no competing interests counter-spinwards of Humanity, most wanted the Confederacy to focus its efforts there.

It didn’t take long before the bad blood between the Hazi and the Beldross began influencing galactic politics. In April of the same year, the Beldross Hive and the Versum Divine Empire signed a non-aggression agreement. With the Versum and the Hazi already at each other’s throats, most experts saw this as a first step towards closer cooperation between the two states.

Said experts didn’t have to wait long. In September 2153, only two years later, the Beldross and the Versum entered into a defensive agreement, as well as a technology-sharing agreement. On Earth, military planners made it clear that it was not a question of if armed conflict would break out, but when and how severe it would be.

It was not all doom and gloom coming from Humanity’s galactic neighbours. In 2055 the Welfon-Boordar Trade Association decided they were tired of limiting themselves to only trading movies, games, books and the like. After years of planning, a conglomerate of Suramo electronics and consumer goods manufacturers established several factories on the Ring that would produce goods intended for the Human market.

The Ring was chosen for several reasons. Its construction made delivering raw materials and shipping the finished product much easier, not requiring orbital lifters or expensive space elevators. Its position also meant easy access to the Confederate core systems, while also being closer to Suramo space, should a direct trade lane open up in the future. But the chief reason was political. The newly self-governing Lilarobius were desperate to deal with unemployment and develop new sources of income, no matter the cost. This allowed the WBTA to negotiate some very lucrative agreements.

TV4C2Xc.jpg

The Plume Valley megafactory, owned and operated by the al-Hafzin Syndicate. One of seven “special economic zones” established by the Ring Garden[3], these zones gave the residing corporations near complete control of the surrounding area. They issued their own currency, established their own laws and enforced these laws with their own police and courts.
(Art by Dmitry Markelov)​

In a matter of years, Suramo products could be found in most major cities on Earth. Some of these products were major disruptors, like the ZXI - 5 AR glasses, going from an expensive tech toy to an everyday necessity in less than a decade. Others were massive flops, like the Veiband Display, where the designers had made almost no adjustments to Human ergonomics.

More Suramo corporations would follow, establishing offices on Neu Brandenburg and Earth. Unlike on the Ring, these corporations were given much less free reign. As a result, most of them were consulting firms, trying to bridge the gap between the Human and Suramo markets. Though a large number of shipping companies did set up offices on Earth, mostly to have a toehold should direct trade become a possibility.

While tensions rose and trade flourished in the galactic west, the galactic east was still Humanity’s uncharted frontier. The now half-century-old exploration ships still surveyed systems, reporting back strange phenomena. While no longer constantly in the public eye, they still sent back mountains of scientific data. And once in a while, they would report on something that caught the public’s attention. The Clarence Chant’s entry into the Xu Nur system in 2154 was one such occasion.

At first, the reports were fairly standard: they had discovered that one of the system’s moons, Xu Nur IIIa, possessed a biosphere. These reports were soon augmented to include that said biosphere could support human life.

At this point the governments of the world took notice. This would be the first time since the establishment of the Confederacy that colonisation rights would be on the table. One of the early bureaucratic decisions that the Assembly had made was the establishment of a committee to formalise any future colonial proposals. A few nations had such proposals ready and waiting for a suitable candidate. The clear favourite was Korea, who had a strong economy, a handful of patrol ships capable of interstellar travel, and was leveraging its close relations with China.

Interests rose as the crew of the Clarence Chant landed on the moon, and reported that the atmosphere was breathable, the temperature was evenly distributed across latitudes and the local flora and fauna was not dangerous. In many ways, it was ideal not only for Human life, but most species encountered so far. Captain Marshall would later describe the moon as a “perfectly curated greenhouse”. He would also describe it as “uncanny”.

YP03nf3.jpg

Xu Nur IIIa was an anomaly among the worlds discovered so far. It was as, if not more, habitable than Earth.​

He was not alone in this view. On Earth, most experts on planetary formation and climate agreed that there was no way for such a moon to form naturally. It had to be the result of some sort of artificial meddling, a hypothesis strengthened when the crew of the Chant found the deactivated remains of nanobots all across the moon.

The hypothesis was confirmed only two months later, albeit not in the way anyone expected.

Ever since landing on Albion, Canadian settlers had been beset by weather troubles. Massive hurricanes would sweep the planet, frequently destroying algae farms, leading fishing vessels to stay docked and forcing people to take shelter. Most of these storms did not make sense meteorologically, leading most to suspect outside influences.

Their suspicions were confirmed when a Canadian survey team landed on a small island near the equator. During their exploration of the island, the team discovered a small bunker made from reinforced concrete. Inside they discovered a mass of machinery that sprawled through tunnels that crisscrossed most of the island. Further study indicated that the machine was some sort of ancient terraforming device. More importantly, it was broken.

HRdqS5q.jpg

The broken terraforming equipment was the source of Albion’s weather woes. Stuck in an endless loop, it would pump nanobots into the atmosphere, which disrupted the natural weather patterns and caused massive, unstable and tremendously destructive hurricanes.​

The discovery caught the attention of scientists back on Earth, who petitioned the Confederacy to send an expedition to Albion. Their request was approved, and 137 climatologists, meteorologists, xenoarchaeologists and other experts boarded a transport headed for Albion. The colonists were told to leave the machine alone until they arrived.

The colonists did as they were told. For a time. However, the transport carrying the experts was months away, and the rogue hurricanes did not wait. A few months after discovering the terraforming equipment, a particularly violent storm hit the floating settlement of London, sinking it. 276 people drowned, and almost two thousand were left homeless. Rescue efforts were dispatched from other settlements, but they were hampered by the storms.

Meanwhile, colonists not involved in the rescue efforts began talking amongst themselves. Most of them had experienced one or more storms that they had been convinced would kill them. Many saw it only as a matter of time before another settlement sank. They decided not to wait months for the experts to arrive, and instead take matters into their own hands.

A group of engineers arrived at the island. Initially they were turned away by the soldiers stationed there, but they managed to convince the guards to let them through. Once inside the bunker, they set about repairing the broken machine, fixing the parts they understood and jury-rigging the parts they didn’t. In the end, they succeeded. To their horror.

The terraforming equipment began a new cycle, and did so by spewing a thick fog of nanobots into the atmosphere. The fog moved rapidly, blanketing the entire planet. In the settlements people sealed every hatch they could and hunkered down, hoping to ride it out. Not knowing if they could.

C4g8ceL.jpg

The nanobot fog as it approached the floating settlement of Churchill. There was an atmosphere of impending doom on Albion as the fog spread. What shuttles were available ferried refugees into orbit, most of them filled with nothing but children. Panicked distress calls were sent out, but most of these wouldn’t be heard until weeks later.​

For thirteen days, the fog enveloped Albion. Then it disappeared just as fast as it had appeared. As the colonists stepped out of their shelters, what they saw astounded them: the entire planet had been remade. The oceans had receded, bringing new landmasses. The atmosphere was breathable for humans. New flora and fauna was seen walking the wilds as if they had been there for millennia, while the old species were changed, adapted to this new environment. In every way, Albion was paradise.

AoGW6xc.jpg

The changes wrought to Albion would be studied for generations, with the hope that they could someday be replicated.​

Back on Earth, there was shock. The first anyone heard of it were the desperate calls for help, which went on for almost two weeks before anyone was told that the situation had been resolved. Some, especially those in the Canadian establishment, called for the arrest of the engineers who had restarted the terraforming equipment. They argued that it was only luck that the new climate was suitable for Humans. Back on Albion, these calls were met with a “come and take them” attitude. As the issue was deemed an internal matter, the Confederacy deferred the issue to the Canadian government, who in the end decided to drop the case.

Through all of this, debates surrounding the colonisation of Xu Nur IIIa continued. The Koreans, as expected, had a strong proposal ready to go and were backed by the Chinese. Their main opponents were the Americans, who had the backing of Canada, though their proposal suffered from a lack of funding, trying to make up for it with a “can do” attitude. Following the events on Albion, the Canadian government got cold feet about having two strange, artificial worlds in their sphere. They requested that the Americans pull their proposal, at least for now. Korea would thus colonise Xu Nur, or as they dubbed it: Mugunghwa.

The rest of the decade would pass in relative quiet. Surveys of the star cluster around Xu Nur would discover several planets, some of them friendly to Human life. However, the infrastructure needed for colonisation was lacking, giving the nations of Earth time to polish their proposals.

The largest shock came on New Year's Eve, 2160. The Welfon-Boordar Trade Association and the Hierarchy of Hazi sent a joint message to the Confederacy. They had been approached by alien states to the galactic north about joining a forum dedicated to resolving disputes peacefully. They had also been asked to pass the invitation on to any other states they had encountered in the void.

A galactic community had been formed, and Humanity was offered a seat at the table.

tHPi1S2.jpg

[1] - There were several microstates that refrained from joining, like Liechtenstein and the Vatican. The Japanese Republic, busy constructing a state apparatus from scratch, was unable to hold elections, but intended to join in the future.

[2] - Given the Hazar’s parasitic nature, this accusation was seen as somewhat hypocritical outside of Beldross and Hazi space. The Beldross themselves didn’t seem to care one way or the other.

[3] - The title of the Lilarobian parliament was typically translated to Ring Garden in Human publications. It was feared that calling it by its domestic name, the Lavis Verum, would conjure associations to the Lavis Republic.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I see the Lilarobious are enjoying the benefits of economic imperialism. :D

I have to say that I can tell the efforts to slowly knot fractious Earth are ever so slowly working. We managed to resolve an election and settled a colonization dispute without a major crisis.

Time will see if the structure remains stable in the face of an external crisis, particularly since, from what I can tell, the Sol Confedracy is a small to medium fish swimming among some larger sharks?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Time will see if the structure remains stable in the face of an external crisis, particularly since, from what I can tell, the Sol Confedracy is a small to medium fish swimming among some larger sharks?

The Confederacy is decently powerful. A few of the neighbours are peer states, while the others are near-peer. The few maps I've posted lie a fair bit. The Welfon-Boordar Trade Association looks massive, but they "only" have five worlds located in a central cluster. Meanwhile, the Beldross Hive is pretty large, but they're far behind on tech, and they're falling behind economically.

Humanity could probably fight any one of its neighbours to a standstill, maybe even win. Things become more dicy if some of them decide to team up. But fortunately for Humanity, Space Balkans seem determined to fight amongst themselves.