• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Space Security Administration
The Space Security Administration
June 2128 - Berliner Schloss - Berlin

TVEcu3L.jpg

Prime Minister Marcus Beckett accepted a champagne flute from the waiter as he made his way towards the back room. The Germans had pulled out all the stops. Around him, he could see close to fifty heads of state, and that was just the fraction present in the grand hall. If you went out into the gardens you could probably find another hundred countries represented. Even Emperor Tomohito was here, boasting about the critical role the Japanese troops had played in the war, with everyone politely ignoring the fact that they hadn’t fired a single shot.

He found the door to the back room and slipped inside. This party was less lavish, but significantly more exclusive. Besides himself, only Anika Ribbentrop, Anna Schumacher, Guanyu Zhuang, Admiral Yahui Xu and Nikolai Yaroslav Kovalyov were present. Nikolai noticed Marcus the moment he stepped inside.

“Ahh, you’re here. We were worried you got lost.”
“I was distracted by some pastries,” Marcus said. “And Prime Minister Horner wanted to discuss some off-world mining rights. Fortunately, I had my mouth full of said pastries, so I was unable to give him an intelligible response.”

They gave him the polite chuckle that was second nature to any politician worth their salt and the attention slid away from Marcus and over to the only one who wasn’t a politician.

Admiral Xu looked uncomfortably out of place, both hands holding onto the champagne flute. He clearly didn’t know where to put his hands, thus the awkward grip.

“A toast!” Nikolai said, raising his glass. “To the man of the hour!”
Xu cringed a little bit, but he still smiled as they all raised their glass to him.

“How does it feel to be back on Earth?” Guanyu asked. “Must be quite different than when you left.”
“It is pleasantly similar, Sir. The higher gravity takes a while to get used to. My back has been killing me, even with the steroid cocktail the Germans gave us.” He looked into his glass, shuffling slightly. “Honestly, the biggest difference is the people. I’ve gotten six marriage proposals since I returned. I don’t know any of them. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. I went back home to visit family. The entire town showed up…”

Marcus considered him. He’d read the briefing when Schumacher had put him in command of the United Fleet. The man had very much risen from nothing. The third son growing up in a rural village in the Chinese interior, his entire family living off basic income. Most would have guessed he was destined for a life as an unknown nobody. But good grades and a desire for adventure had drawn him to the military, where he had excelled. And twenty-five years later he had been the right man at the right spot, and now he had a spot in the history books. That was a feat many far more ambitious men never achieved.

“You’ll get used to it,” Nikolai said. “They erected a bust of me back home when I became President. Seeing it for the first time was strange.”
“Oh no…”
Xu’s look of horror caused a round of laughter.

“Let’s not forget the woman of the hour as well.” Marcus turned and nodded to Anna. As the attention turned her way, she looked far more comfortable with it.
“The stage is yours,” Anika said with a smile that seemed odd given their political rivalry. “Got anything you want to say?”
“I do, in fact.”

Her gaze flowed across the people in the room, then she took a deep breath.
“Standing here, do you know what I see?” She motioned with her champagne flute. Nobody said anything.

“I see a bunch of colossal idiots who almost managed to kill us all.”

The room was silent. Xu was looking slightly panicked, stealing glances at Guanyu. Guanyu, however, didn’t look concerned. He’d been dealing with Anna for years when she served as foreign minister. They all had. So they all waited for her to continue. Which she did.

“Our moronic bickering over colonisation rights and who gets what left us unprepared to face the biggest threat humanity has ever faced. We were a hairbreadth from having Lavis warships in orbit, setting fire to entire continents.”

“In fairness, Germany hasn’t exactly made cooperation easy,” Guanyu said.
“I am well aware of this. Nobody in this room, with the exception of the good Admiral, is innocent.”
“I assume you have a point,” Marcus said. “You don’t usually do this without having some ulterior motive.”
“I do. Our fleets were almost destroyed because they didn’t act as one. Only under a unified command structure were we able to strike back. We cannot expect to survive unless we apply the same principle to our politics.”
“Just what are you suggesting?” Nikolai asked. “A united world government? Even I would struggle to get that through the Duma.”
“Yes and no. I know a united world government is far too utopian--”
“Some would call it dystopian,” Marcus interjected. Anna ignored him.
“But that does not mean we can’t work together off-world. We have a chance, right now, to work together.”

The room grew quiet. She didn’t mention the alternative. Marcus could hear the distant celebration. It felt far away.

“We know we’re asking a lot,” Anika said. “And we’re willing to make some… concessions. You all think Germany has taken too much, with Neu Brandenburg and Grossbayern. Well, how about you get the next worlds?” She looked to Guanyu. “You had plans for Kappler IIIa.”
“Yes. We have,” Guanyu said with his easy, jovial tone. “And we don’t need your permission.”
“You’re right. But it will surely be easier with our cooperation.”

Guanyu didn’t respond and instead considered the offer. Anika seized the initiative and turned her attention to Marcus. Even now she seemed like a deadly predator poised to strike.
“A Canadian flag on Shuckon IV. How about it?”
“You must be joking,” Marcus said. She gave a quick glance to Anna, and, for a brief moment, he didn’t see the driven career politician he’d known for years.

“We’re serious,” Anna said. Marcus’ bafflement deepened.
“You’ve read the reports. That isn’t a normal ocean. It’s some sort of… thing.”
The two Germans exchanged glances again. This wasn’t going the way they had expected. And Marcus could somewhat understand it. On paper, the planet was an aquatic goldmine. But that… thing… it bothered him.

“Well, if Canada doesn’t want it, then Russia will gladly take it. Maybe then we can have some of those warm water ports I’ve heard so much about.”
Everyone’s attention switched to Nikolai, who had loosened his tie and was slouching in one of the armchairs. Somewhere he’d found another champagne flute and was happily sipping as everyone’s attention fell on him.
“You’re… You’re sure about that?” Guanyu asked, sounding less like a head of government and more like a concerned friend. “We don’t know what that… thing, is.”
“We’re Russians. We’ll adapt. Besides, it’s far away from the aliens, so that’s good.”

“Well, I guess that works out then,” Anna said with a shrug and turned her attention back to Marcus. “We had planned to offer Samdeeram to Nikolai, but…”
“Russia does not need two planets,” Nikolai chimed in. “We’re not Germany.”
Everyone but Xu ignored him. Welcome to the world of Great Power negotiations. It’s nowhere near as dignified and well-oiled as people imagine it, Marcus mused. But don’t worry. You’ll get used to it soon enough.

He refocused on the issue ahead. The Germans and Nikolai had put him in a bind. Samdeeram was even farther away than both Kappler and Shuckon. If he agreed to it, it would be years, maybe even decades until people actually set foot on the planet. But if he refused… Both Guanyu and Nikolai seemed to be on board, and they would happily continue without Canada’s involvement if he rejected their offer.

Marcus didn’t share the chauvinisms of some of his countrymen. Far too many of them looked to Canada’s past and saw greatness. But that had been before the July coup, before the fall of the Bright Young Things. While the revolution had set Canada free, it had also undermined Canada’s legitimacy. Half the reason Marcus even had a seat at the table was due to diplomatic inertia and the others not wanting to make a fuss.

“Samdeeram is quite far away,” he said.
“That’s putting it mildly,” Guanyu said.
“There are a few closer worlds,” Anika said. “Though most of them aren’t very habitable.”
“And some of them even have people living on them,” Nikolai chimed in. “Or, well… you know…”
Marcus wondered if the champagne was getting to the Russian. “Not Pithria. The First Nations would crucify me. And the liberals would supply the lumber.”

“We can keep our options open,” Anna said. “No need to make any final decision right now.”
“Very well then. I accept.” While Marcus did appreciate her throwing him a lifeline, he couldn’t quite help feeling embarrassed by the situation. The room grew quiet as Anika and Anna smiled at each other. Still looking a bit lost, Xu watched them all.

“Did you just establish a new world order?”
“Yes, Admiral,” Guanyu said. “I guess we just did.”

The news of peace with the lilarobius caused celebrations throughout human space. From the high halls of Berlin to the most distant ore carrier, humanity celebrated as one. Only the memorial services for the dead served as a damper on the jubilant spirit, and even these had a theme of triumph through tragedy[1]. It was a moment where the distinctions of nationality, race or creed felt petty and meaningless.

However, while people celebrated, others worried. History was full of stories about people uniting in times of crisis, just to fall back into their petty disputes once the crisis was over. Anna Schumacher was all too aware of this. She had managed to unite people when it mattered most, but only after they had come within a hair’s breadth of losing everything. The next time -- and, as long as the Lavis Republic continued to exist, there would be a next time -- they might not be so lucky. They would have to be ready. And to be ready they would have to stay united.

For this to happen, some things would have to change. The first was the abandonment of the chauvinism that had defined German off-world politics during the early space age. Unless the other nations of Earth, or at least the powerful ones, were allowed to take their share of the spoils space offered, they would never stand by Germany. Fortunately for Schumacher, she was not alone in this view.

After discussing the matter with Chancellor Ribbentrop and other prominent members of the Reichstag, she proposed a joint space colonisation and security organisation to the other Great Powers. To sweeten the deal, Germany would assist with the Chinese government’s colonisation of Chang'e. Meanwhile, Russia would get the ocean world Shuckon IV, while Canada would receive a suitable world “at a future point in time”.

rJPezW2.jpg

Shuckon IV was an ocean world located on the galactic rim. Discovered by the Bernhard Walther during the Lilarobius - Human War, the crew noted the sea covering the planet displayed qualities “indicating some form of intelligence”.
In return, all systems outside of Sol would be under the supranational authority of ‘The Joint Administration for the Colonisation and Security of Space’, more commonly known as the Space Security Administration[2]. While the nations would have the authority to develop their worlds as they saw fit, the SSA could requisition both resources and land they required to defend human space. The SSA would also possess wide-ranging police and judicial authority of any space outside of Sol.

Criticism of the organisation began before its org chart was finished. Civil liberty advocates argued that it imposed permanent martial law on anyone living off-world. Other critics, especially from minor, non-aligned nations, such as Mexico, the Philippines and Mysore were publicly wondering if the bounty of space was only for the Great Powers and their allies. The Indochinese Federation went one step further, with the Central Committee calling the SSA “the second coming of the Berlin Conference.”

cVEoNFI.jpg

The flag of the SSA. The stars represented the various worlds humanity claimed, with the largest star representing Earth, while the two stars to the left represented Neu Brandenburg and Grossbayern. The two remaining stars represented Chang'e and Shuckon IV. Both of these worlds were uncolonised by the time the flag was unveiled. The fact that whatever world Canada would claim was not on the flag caused a minor scandal in Ottawa.
This did little to stop the support for the SSA. Among the largely earthbound public it seemed a reasonable compromise to ensure their safety, while to those in the halls of power, Germany was giving them exactly what they wanted. Resolutions to join the Space Security Administration passed through the various parliaments of the Great Powers with minimal difficulty. Only in Germany did it run into issues, with both far-left and far-right members of the Reichstag condemning the proposal for very different reasons. Schumacher and Ribbentrop had to enforce ruthless party discipline, and the bill passed with a narrow margin.

The Joint Administration for the Colonisation and Security of Space was established on the 3rd of August, 2128. The organisation had two principal bodies: the Executive Council and the Administration Assembly.

The Executive Council was comprised of five seats, four of them permanently assigned to the Great Powers, while the last seat rotated among the other members of the Administration Assembly. The Executive Council, as the name might suggest, served as the executive body of the SSA. While it did formally answer to the Administration Assembly, it also possessed wide-ranging powers to act independently during ‘times of crisis’.

DtINNoQ.jpg

General Jack Charles Vance was the first incumbent to the ‘rotating’ seat in the Executive Council. Vance had previously served as the Chief of Staff in the New England Republic and in many ways set the standard of what kind of man was assigned to the seat. Serving a five year term, he would become the de facto face of the Executive Council.
The Administration Assembly was comprised of all the member states of the SSA. While at first just the Great Powers and their allies, it would soon attract various non-aligned nations that saw the assembly as a way to increase their fortunes in space. With every nation possessing one vote each, it was at first seen as an equal playing field. However, with the Great Powers dominating the Executive Council, the balance of power was firmly in the Great Powers’ favour.

Though not intentional, a distinction between the two bodies soon developed. The Administration Assembly was mainly a civilian body, primarily concerned with colonisation and trade. The Executive Council meanwhile was almost exclusively made up of current or former military officers. The difference in priority between these bodies would lead to several high-profile fights for funding and resources.

The first act of the Space Security Administration, announced during the opening ceremony, was the laying down of the colony ship 流星 (Liúxīng, or Shooting Star). Though dubbed Project Jade Rabbit, the colonisation project shared little with the pre-war Chinese plan as there was no need for subterfuge. The Liúxīng even shared a template with the SMR Komet, the colony ship that had established Grossbayern.

One facet the project shared with its earlier incarnation was being a pure colonial venture. Due to the large distances involved, the affair would be a one-way trip for most of its passengers. Despite this, there was no shortage of applicants. While most were motivated by a lack of work and space back on Earth, a number of applicants were explicit in their desire to be as far away from the lilarobius as possible. Political pundit Xia Yu noted that “People would rather brave earthquakes and kaiju than stay and deal with a handful of angry weeds.”

However, the colonisation of Chang'e was still far off, with the most optimistic projections not expecting people to be landing on the moon for another three years. In this way, the SSA got off to an easy start, with most of its efforts focused on expanding the fleet, constructing defensive facilities in Eissam, as well as constructing fleet support facilities in Sirius. The most serious incident was when the KWO, still under German administration, released several findings from one of their scientific expeditions.

F5zSGXD.jpg

The expedition to Wexellia II sent back hundreds of pictures and 3D laser scans of the cenotaphs littering the surface. While the writing was undecipherable at the time, the imagery proved more than vivid enough.
The findings proved widely influential among the general populace and caused widespread appreciation for not only what had been out there, but what could still be there. Some, mostly military and political hardliners, feared this could lead to “alien sympathies”, but most members of the SSA dismissed this view. The threat was the Lavis Republic, not alien life in general.

This attitude would be put to the test on New Year’s Day, 2131, when the Johannes von Gmunden jumped into the Unatra system along the galactic rim. After doing the usual sensor sweep of the system’s celestial bodies, they soon discovered an object changing vector. It didn’t take long for the crew to realise they were looking at an alien ship. More importantly, it didn’t belong to the Lavis Republic.

FobLZx0.jpg

[1] - The casualties of the war were remarkably low given the high stakes of the conflict. In total 2.651 service members were killed; 1.677 Germans (970 of these were aboard the Friedrich der Große, which was lost with all hands), 384 Russians, 292 Chinese, 206 Canadian (including members of the American Legion) and 92 service members from minor nations. For comparison, Germany alone suffered 4.112 casualties during the Australasian Intervention, with coalition casualties almost doubling that number.

[2] - In Germany the organisation was known as Die Gemeinsame Verwaltung für die Kolonisierung und Sicherheit des Weltraums, though it was soon called Die Weltraum-Sicherheitsbehörde. Among those hostile to the organisation it soon acquired the initialism JACASS. For this reason the Space Security Administration avoided its official abbreviation.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Exciting to see a unified direction for our pale blue dot. The Canadians didn't get the best deal but, if everyone keeps their word, it should work out.
I'm also curious as to the colonization rights of minor powers. Are groups of immigrants allowed to space or will all the new worlds be nationally homogeneous?

As for the theta aliens, here's hoping that they aren't bent on destroying all life!

The slow painful process of unification begins, I see. I really enjoy the internal politics you go into in this AAR, its a genuine pleasure to see this alternate world reach for space with tis own baggage and then deal with it.

Exciting to see a unified direction for our pale blue dot. The Canadians didn't get the best deal but, if everyone keeps their word, it should work out.
I'm also curious as to the colonization rights of minor powers. Are groups of immigrants allowed to space or will all the new worlds be nationally homogeneous?

I imagine immigration varies on a case-by-case basis, but is largely up to the nation in question. Neu Brandenburg stared as a scientific expedition, while Grossbayern was a corporate venture. I imagine they have people from all over the Europäischer Wirtschaftsbund (this world's EU) and anyone who could get a job/approval to go there. Chang'e is probably going to be more homogeneous due to China having a lot of people who need space/jobs, but there will probably be a few pockets of other nationalities. The Russians on Shuckon IV will be joined by members of the Nordic Union for reasons of plot.

Thanks for a great, fantastic, and fun read so far! Very excited for more.

Glad you enjoy it. Makes writing it all the more worthwhile.

The slow painful process of unification begins, I see. I really enjoy the internal politics you go into in this AAR, its a genuine pleasure to see this alternate world reach for space with tis own baggage and then deal with it.

I did make sure to include some elements of the League of Nations, just in case I want the SSA to crash and burn ;)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Great AAR, a sort of "Crown Atomic iiin SPACE!" I've been waiting for ;) Reading with interest. Meeting fanatical purifiers as the first alien race always makes for an "interesting" game.

I understand it's for plot reasons, but I always considered Earth nations claiming an entire earth-like world silly. There's enough room for everyone, guys, sheesh. Just go to a different continent.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I understand it's for plot reasons, but I always considered Earth nations claiming an entire earth-like world silly. There's enough room for everyone, guys, sheesh. Just go to a different continent.
But that might mean that the good people of [insert nation claiming superiority here] might have to breathe the same air as those filthy [insert nation hated by the previously mentioned nation here]. That’s already a barely tolerable notion on one planet! ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Great AAR, a sort of "Crown Atomic iiin SPACE!" I've been waiting for ;) Reading with interest. Meeting fanatical purifiers as the first alien race always makes for an "interesting" game.

Funny you should mention Crown Atomic, seeing as I stole was greatly inspired by its style and subject.

And claiming a whole planet has far more to do with Great Power prestige than anything else. The other Great Powers saw Germany claim two worlds and went "Oi!". The real kicker is that China, the place most in need of more space, got the smallest world.

The next chapter is underway, but it's been a bit slow. Fortunately, I have two weeks off now, so hopefully I'll get something done.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Queens and Pawns
Queens and Pawns
January 2131 - Johannes von Gmunden - Unatra system

JGuwBPU.jpg

Captain Joachim Braun closed the hatch to his cabin and floated over to the safe set into the far wall. He entered the code and opened it. Inside were a stack of documents, a box of jewellery and other valuables that could serve as bribes, and his sidearm. He dug through the documents until he found the two sealed envelopes he was looking for.

The first was only to be opened if the Lavis broke past the Jupiter Line, effectively meaning the enemy was in Earth orbit. Joachim had a pretty good idea of what the letter said. Dr. Russell had remarked on the cryopod they had in storage. Apparently, he had used the exact same model at Oxford to store embryos. The Johannes also carried a gestation pod and the database contained a massive repository of human culture and history. It didn't take a genius to piece it together. Joachim knew a contingency plan when he saw one.

Leaving Earth while the Lavis war still raged had been one of the hardest decisions of his life. They had left before the United Fleet had smashed the Ring Defense Fleet at Alpha Centauri and at that point the war was still uncertain. It had felt like he was running away, leaving his family and friends behind to face whatever happened. At least the guys aboard the Andreas Stöberl had been directly involved in the war effort, picking through the remains of enemy warships and learning what they could.

He put the first envelope back and regarded the second one. This one was only to be opened if they encountered an unknown alien race capable of interstellar travel. He had a pretty good idea of what this said as well.

He opened it and read it. He wasn't surprised.

"So that's the situation," Joachim said to the assembled crew. "If the aliens show signs of aggression in response to our message, then we are not to retreat the way we came unless we can break contact first. If they try to board us, or our ship is otherwise incapacitated, we are to deactivate the magnetic containment on the reactor. We can't lead them back to Earth, or otherwise give any clue as to where we come from."

The crew floated around the common room. None of them looked particularly happy about what he'd just said. To their credit, none of them looked particularly shocked either. You didn't become a part of the Johannes' crew without knowing the ship could easily become your tomb.

Dr. de Weese raised a hand. "Can we send back a message first? To our families, I mean. In the event this goes... poorly."
Joachim considered her. At only twenty-six, Clarissa de Weese was the youngest member on the ship. A prodigy, she had finished her doctorate in chemistry at only twenty-two. Her position aboard the Johannes was the first time she'd lived away from her parents.
"I don't see any issues with this. Just make sure it's ready in good time." She nodded, and Joachim looked to the rest. "Anything else?"

"What do we do if the aliens are hostile, but not enough to shoot at us?" Lieutenant Beck asked.
The briefing hadn't specified. Joachim thought about it for a moment.
"We'll try to break contact. If that proves difficult, we'll wait for instructions from Earth. However long that will take."

A message back to Earth, even a high-priority one, would easily take three weeks. The response would take the same time back. Factor in time for the politicians to make up their mind, they could easily look at two months before they got their orders. Good thing they weren't in a hurry.

"Any other questions?"
A few looked like they had some, but not the kind they wanted to share with everyone else. That was fine. They would seek him out in private if it was important.
"Very well. We'll transmit the First Contact package tomorrow at 10.00. Deadline for any messages home is 8.00. I want everyone in suits and ready for action by 9.00. Everyone got that?"
He got a chorus of "got it" and "affirmative" as the meeting broke up.

Tomorrow would be a historic moment. Joachim was just unsure what kind of history they were facing.

The tomorrow came far too quickly. When he floated onto the bridge the next morning there was none of the usual chatter. Everyone was at their post, and what little talk present was brief, to the point and professional. Everyone was wearing their skin-suits; always a sign that they were about to do something dangerous.

"Good morning, Captain," Lieutenant Schäfer said as Joachim found his seat. "Sleep well?"
"No," he replied with surprising candour. He continued before any awkwardness had time to settle. "What's our status?"
"All messages sent, everyone is accounted for and at their post and all systems running in the green."
"And our friend?"
"Still having a very close look at that gas-giant."

That was what confused Joachim the most, and he wasn’t alone. Beyond a cursory LIDAR scan, the other ship had scarcely given them any attention. They’d been moving through the system, conducting their survey in a very organised fashion. They didn’t seem to be the least bit concerned about the Johannes.

That lack of caution made the situation all the more strange. Naval intelligence, oxymoron it may be, had ripped all the data they could from Lavis warships disabled in Alpha Centauri. The intelligence found within suggested that the Lilarobius had been in contact with another alien race. That meant potential allies.

But any alien race that had made contact with the Lavis Republic should be cautious. So were these aliens just not scared by them? Or were they someone else? And even then, shouldn’t they pay a bit more attention when encountering a new species? Joachim felt like he was treated as an insignificant ant.

He stopped himself from continuing that thought and tapped through his comms display until he found Lieutenant Maes’ frequency.
“This is the Captain. Are we ready to transmit?” he asked the communications officer.
“We’ve been ready for the last hour, Captain. Say the word and we’ll say hi.”
“Understood. Be ready to send.” He switched to ship-wide comms. “Attention all hands. We are about to contact the aliens. Be ready for anything.” He switched back to Lieutenant Maes. “Send the message.”
“Yes, Sir.”

Seven seconds later Maes was done.
“Message away, Sir. Target is 4.73 light minutes away. Do you want a timer on the main screen?”
“That will not be necessary.” No need to make this wait even more excruciating. “Just keep me updated if there is any kind of response.”

The minutes ticked by. There was no immediate response at the 4.73-minute mark. That was probably good. But there wasn’t any reaction either. They resent the first contact package at the one-hour mark. As they approached the three-hour mark, boredom was starting to set in.

“Lieutenant Schäfer, inform the scientific personnel that they are relieved from action stations, but that they are to remain in their skin-suits for the time being.”
“Yes, Sir. And the ops personnel?”
“We’ll wait a while longer, we still have to make sur…”

Joachim felt light-headed. A little at first, then a lot at once. If he hadn’t been strapped into his chair he would probably have curled up. The sensation reminded him of doing a hyperlane jump, but without the acute nausea. At the same time he had a strange sensation, as if tendrils were working their way through his brain.

Looking around, he wasn’t alone. Most of the bridge crew were buckled over, some looked like they were in pain, others were sweating and gasping for air. Right next to him Schäfer was sobbing, tears floating freely inside his helmet. Joachim felt like he should do something, but even the thought of getting out of his chair was agonising.

The invasive sensation disappeared with as little warning as it appeared. By that time the entire bridge crew was reeling. Status reports soon came in from the rest of the ship. Whatever that thing was, everyone had been affected by it.

“Ca… Captain Braun.” Lieutenant Maes was breathing heavily. Joachim couldn’t see him from his position.
“Go ahead,” Joachim replied, forcing what authority he could muster into his voice.
“The alien ship, they’re pinging us with LIDAR.” Joachim’s guts instantly turned to ice. “I think it’s Morse code.”
Joachim gave himself a moment to let his guts thaw. “What does it say.”

“Guten Tag, Menschen.”

On the 5th of January, 2131, the crew of the Johannes von Gmunden sent the revised First Contact protocols to the unknown ship in the Unatra system. The new protocols were far more conservative than those used during first contact with the Lilarobius. Instead of telling about humanity’s history and where it came from, this new package was mostly concerned with establishing communication. Any cultural exchange would have to come later.

There was significant unease related to contacting the aliens. There was the obvious fear that they would encounter a second Lavis Republic. But there was also the hope that whatever aliens were out there could serve as an ally against the Lilarobius. Some members of the public, and a handful of Administration Assembly delegates, were in favour of not contacting the aliens at all. This opinion was not shared by the Executive Council, with Councilman Vance remarking that “The aliens are there no matter what, so there is no use putting our head in a black hole and hope they don’t notice us.”

Another factor complicating the issue was distance and time. It had taken five years for humanity to even be able to speak to the Lilarobius, and they had practically been on humanity’s doorstep. Their hostility had a lot to do with the delays, as communications with the Curator Order had been established relatively quickly. But any communication with the “Theta Aliens” would have to endure weeks of delay both ways. The fear in Stettin and the Executive Council was that establishing communications could take a decade.

They couldn’t have been farther from the truth.

A few hours after sending the First Contact protocols, the entire crew of the Johannes von Gmunden experienced what the ship’s medical doctor later described as “a shipwide panic attack, combined with elements of mild to severe psychosis.” Following this, the alien ship made contact with the Johannes. They were the Beldross Hive.

EfVEh6b.jpg

The Beldross were a reptilian species hailing from the world of Fenn’Halor. A gestalt consciousness (though more commonly referred to as a hive mind), the entire species acted as one massive superorganism. One facet that human scientists soon noted was that the entire species displayed a significant degree of radiation damage. When asked about this, the Beldross were quite forthcoming in that their homeworld had at some point suffered catastrophic nuclear devastation. When asked why and how this had happened, they did not know. It had happened “before our light”, and the Beldross paid little attention to the past.
While the Beldross were quite forthcoming in that they considered humanity a potential threat (the feeling was mutual), they were willing to engage in diplomatic relations. As such, less than 24 hours after sending the First Contact protocols, the Johannes von Gmunden forwarded a message from a Beldross drone. In it, it greeted the German Kaiser[1] in garbled, but grammatically perfect, German.

Back on Earth, reactions were mixed. While everyone was happy to not have another Lavis Republic to deal with, the Beldross Hive was not exactly welcoming. The Nordic comedian Pål Engersrud captured the atmosphere when he remarked that “at this point, I’ll be happy to meet normal, non-murderous, non-reptile-slash-bug aliens. They don’t even have to be wise and all-knowing, or fix all our problems or anything like that. If we get some sentient slug aliens and they say ‘Hi. We don’t want to kill you’, then I’ll be ecstatic.”

Despite this, the SSA wasted no time in setting up diplomatic relations. The Administration Assembly elected the New England diplomat Veronica Sharpe to serve as plenipotentiary. She was dispatched to Chang´e, where the Liúxīng was just making planetfall, in an effort to shave days off the communications lag. Efforts were also made to hasten the colonisation of Shuckon IV, which would further reduce the lag.

Communication lag, however, did not seem to affect the Beldross. Whenever a message reached a system with a single Beldross drone, they would have an answer ready within hours, sometimes even less. Furthermore, the Beldross did not appear to have any system for ferrying messages between systems. Xenologists and physicists were fascinated by the implications, with half a dozen hypotheses about how the Beldross did it. Quantum entanglement was the most popular explanation, but that did not account for the effects the crew of the Johannes von Gmunden experienced. Another question was if it was a technological solution, or somehow biological. Either way, it could solve a lot of humanity’s communications problems.

The Beldross were not the only life that humanity encountered in 2131. Indeed, it proved a busy and exciting year for Earth xenologists.

The first encounter happened only two months after first contact with the Beldross. The Bernhard Walther entered the Quamm system and encountered what was initially believed to be erratically moving asteroids. It didn’t take long before the ‘asteroids’ responded with hostility to the Bernhard Walther. At first, the crew wondered if they’d encountered a hostile alien species, but further study revealed them to be more akin to highly territorial animals.

VAOJTY8.jpg

The Space Amoebae[2] were another instance of ‘impossible life’. The previous three decades had greatly expanded humanity’s understanding of how and where life could flourish. There were some hypotheses that they weren’t naturally occurring, but some ‘leftover’ from one of the previous cycles.
The Bernhard Walther, forced to retreat from the territorial creatures, found itself in the neighbouring Pildram system where they made another discovery.

oXytrTJ.jpg

The continental world of Pildram I was home to the Mollarnock, a machine-age civilisation. In many ways they shared elements with the Cormanthani Pithria IV. Both races were largely secular in outlook and shared an intense distrust of any out-group individuals. The biggest difference between them was that while the Cormanthani revered military might and the warrior, the Mollarnock were far more ambivalent. If this was related to the much greater destructive potential of their industry or some cultural difference was a subject of much debate.
The discovery of the Mollarnock resurrected the almost two-decades-old Pithria debates. The Lavis war, and the subsequent arms race, had prevented any ongoing study of the Cormanthani. Most of the SSA’s funding went into the fleet, and what was left over was spent establishing colonies on Chang´e and Shuckon IV. Despite this several Assembly members advocated for establishing the required infrastructure in the Pithria pocket.

The motion passed with a slim majority, despite the Great Powers all voicing their disapproval of the plan and making furious backroom deals. The truth was that humanity was facing a severe energy deficit, and several Assembly members secretly hoped to address this by ‘civilising’ the Cormanthani and using the vast mountain ranges as a source of wind power. Meanwhile, both the people and government of Canada despaired as the hope of a Canadian colony slipped another decade away.

But it wasn’t only the Bernhard Walther finding new life. Humanity had taken control of the Eissam system following the Lavis war. While the primary motivation had been to allow for more defence in depth, it had also opened up a hyperlane towards the galactic core. The Andreas Stöberl, which had spent the war picking through the remains of destroyed Lavis warships, was sent to investigate where this path led. When they entered the Roschon system, they were greeted by a single warship waiting for them.

After a brief moment of terror, the warship contacted the Andreas Stöberl. In a message transmitted in German, Russian, Chinese and English, they were informed that they had reached the borders of the Rixi Chroniclers.

m4XkmXu.jpg

The Rixi were, much like the Lilarobius, a species that had reached the stars in the previous cycle. And while the death and destruction of the previous cycle had turned the Lilarobius to violence and xenophobia, the Rixi had instead turned inwards. There they were content to study the multitudes of life the galaxy had to offer.
An old and powerful civilisation, the Rixi had chartered the stars when humanity was still in the palaeolithic era. In the millennia since then, they had seen entire species rise to dominance, only to be snuffed out; sometimes by others, sometimes by themselves. Following the last great cycle of extinction, a sense of ennui had overtaken the entire species. Human diplomats tried in vain to ingratiate themselves with the Rixi. They would not be a threat to Humanity, but they would not lift a feather to save it either.

XBwCcbM.jpg

With the discovery of the Beldross and the Rixi, Human expansion spinwards was effectively blocked. Though this was not seen as a critical issue by the SSA as there was far more space than Humanity could effectively make use of.
After establishing contact, the Rixi warship departed. It had given the captain of the Andreas Stöberl strict instructions not to follow it, as any ship that entered Rixi space without permission would be destroyed. As the single Rixi warship had enough firepower to equal the entire United Fleet, following was out of the question. The Andreas Stöberl was about to return home when it received a request to investigate the neighbouring Gathrica system.

The Gathrica system bordered the Rixi, but was not among the systems claimed by them. As the Andreas Stöberl had made its way corewards, the star had appeared to shrink. This despite the star seeming otherwise normal. Such an anomaly warranted investigation and the Andreas Stöberl set course for the Gathrica system.

is1KZOO.jpg

[1] - The Beldross were informed that Kaiser Wilhelm did not represent humanity as a whole and did not possess any political authority, but they were quite insistent. The main hypothesis concerning this was that he was the ‘queen’ of the mostly German crewed Johannes von Gmunden.

[2] - The name stuck in the public’s imagination, much to the chagrin of xenologists everywhere, who instead preferred Spatium natator. Despite their best efforts, Space Amoebae would enter documentaries and even some textbooks.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This continues to be a highly enjoyable read.
One wonders if the pie the SSA can grab will be big enough for everyone to get a piece.

Plenty of new aliens to talk to and potentially fear!
I really enjoyed the opening scene! It must be rather unnerving to be contacted in perfect German
I'm hoping that the Mollarnock will be able to develop in peace but a new Berlin Conference might deprive them of the opportunity

Leviathans
Leviathans
October 2133 - Andreas Stöberl - Roschon / Gathrica systems jump point

pdtHhKL.jpg

Artist’s interpretation of the Andreas Stöberl entering the Gathrica system. In reality, the ship never got this close.
(Art by @Xibin18)
Captain Nihal Özen launched herself up the central elevator shaft towards the bridge. The feeling of endlessly soaring in zero-g never got old. Sometimes, when she needed to think, she would launch herself from the personal quarters at the far front to the engineering department at the far rear. Then she would turn and launch herself back the other way. It was very therapeutic. While none of the crew had dared to mention it with her around, she knew they called it ‘swimming’, with the elevator shaft being dubbed the ‘swimming pool’. She liked it, so she’d adopted the name as well.

However, right now was not the time for swimming, and she grabbed the arrestor strap by the door to the bridge. She elegantly redirected her momentum into the open doorway and landed with her feet on the floor with the slightest thunk.

“Captain on the bridge,” Lieutenant Rot said. He was the only one to give her a salute. He was the only one obliged to. Herch and Weber were both strapped to their chairs and thus not required to get up. Zero gravity had forced some revisions to military protocol. And Drs. Glöckner and Vaccaro were civilians, so they probably couldn’t even give a proper salute.

Nihal launched herself over to the command chair and began strapping herself in. “How are we looking, Lieutenant?”
“Engineering is running final prep, Captain,” Rot said. “The scientific personnel are finding their seats as well.”

Nihal glanced over to the two scientists still floating on the command deck. They were talking shop as well, just a different kind of shop.

“So in total, Gathrica appears to have lost 3.7% of its mass compared to observation from Earth,” Vaccaro said.
“I can’t say I know too much about stars, but I know they’re big,” Glöckner said. “So I’m guessing that’s quite a lot.”
“Massive. We don’t have any models that can account for a loss of mass that great. If it were to continue then… Well, honestly, we don’t know what would happen. We have some ideas, but without knowing what’s causing it they’re all guesswork.”

Nihal wasn’t surprised at seeing the two scientists on the bridge. Giuliano Vaccaro was the ship’s resident astrophysicist, so him being present when they were looking at a weird star was a given. Dr. Adrian Glöckner, on the other hand, was a xenologists. Yet despite this, he was always on the bridge when they jumped to a new system. Nihal had wondered about it in the past, and curiosity was getting the better of her.

“Dr. Glöckner,” she said. He turned awkwardly in zero-G to face her. “I mean no offence, but why are you here? Your field is typically planetside.”
“Why wouldn’t I be here? If I’m here, I’ll be among the first humans to see this star with my own eyes.”
“We get to see a lot of new stars.”
“That we do. And I want to see them all. I spent a lot of time and effort to get here, and I’m going to enjoy every second of it.”

The klaxon sounded, warning everyone to find their seats. Engineering was already spooling up the drive. Nihal watched as Glöckner found a seat and strapped himself in. There was no denying that he was an incredibly driven man, but part of that scared her. She’d heard about the work he did during the war. She knew why they had done it and why it was necessary, but it still felt a bit unsettling.

“Captain?” Lieutenant Rot brought her back to reality. “We are ready to jump.”
“Understood. Start final countdown.”

The one-minute warning flashed on every screen aboard the ship as the drive got ready to tear open the hyperlane. When the number reached zero she felt the familiar, nauseating sensation. It didn’t take long before they were running the post-jump checks to make sure everything was working.

Dr. Vaccaro wasted no time getting to work.

“That’s insane! Look, the corona is almost gone. What on Earth could have caused this?”
“Whatever it is, I don’t think you’ll find it on Earth,” Glöckner said, which earned him a chuckle from Vaccaro.

Nihal sent a glance towards their screen. The star looked weird, anaemic almost. She couldn’t say what was wrong, but it wasn’t like any other star she’d seen during her time aboard the Andreas Stöberl.

“Wait, what is that?” Glöckner asked.
At first, Nihal thought it was a bug crawling across the display but she soon realised that it was on several different feeds.
“I don’t know, but that thing should have been reduced to charcoal ages ago.” Vaccaro sounded giddy. “Wait, it’s doing something.”

Nihal was about to release the ship from action stations and let the scientists have their fun when several radiation alarms began howling. She pulled up the alert on her screen and it didn’t look good. They were already deep in the yellow zone and steadily rising towards the red. She was mentally running through the potential sources when another alert sounded. This showed an alarming temperature spike. With her stomach sinking into a black hole, she keyed engineering.

“Engineering here,” Chief Engineer Martin responded. Nihal could hear the stress breaking through his voice.
“This is the Captain. What’s the reactor status?”
“The reactor’s fine. We’re at 13.7% power, and the temperature was dropping steadily until… this happened.”
“Any other systems malfunctioning?”
“None that could cause a reaction like this, but I’ve got my boys checking everything.”
“Keep me updated,” Nihal said, rather redundantly, and cut the connection.

She was running through other potential causes when a wave of heat swept through the ship, accompanied by a cacophony of alerts. She didn’t need to see the temperature alert to know they were in trouble. Back during the Lavis War, she’d served as a weapons officer aboard the Primrose when an enemy round had destroyed their heat sink. The heat had almost cooked off their ammunition load. The Andreas Stöberl fortunately didn’t carry weapons, but that was a very narrow silver lining on a very cloudy day.

“Look at that,” Dr. Glöckner said. She knew the tone. He used it whenever he studies some horrific apex predator. Reluctantly she glanced over to his station.

He’d zoomed in on the tiny bug ting, and she realised just how massive it had to be. Probably the size of a large moon. It was in a low orbit around the star. So low that the heat and gravitation would have torn most things into a thin ring of matter. But instead it seemed to thrive, sucking the star into itself.

“Look, it’s expelling stellar matter,” Vaccaro said, an even mix of horror and fascination in this voice.
“Right at us,” Nihal said. She keyed engineering as the temperature alert maxed out.
“Engineering,” Martin said. Any pretences of keeping the stress under wraps were gone.
“We need to leave. Spool up the drive.”
“We’ll need at least fifteen minutes for that.”
“I know. We’ll just--”

A new alert sounded. The worst one. There were fluctuations in the reactor’s magnetic containment bottle.

Martin was gone. To do whatever he could, no doubt. She remembered watching the Friedrich der Große just disappear from her sensor array back during the war. She looked back to her screen and the creature orbiting the sun. There was precious little she could do. The plastic in one of the screens was starting to bubble from the heat.

A new alert informed her that engineering was trying to dump the reactor core. That would prevent catastrophic reactor failure, but would leave them without enough power to do a jump. Another alert told her that the black box drone had been deployed. That meant the ship’s systems thought the ship was doomed. A dark part of her mind agreed with it.

Another wave of stellar matter hit the ship and now the radiation alert also maxed out. A message from engineering came in.
“Captain speaking.”
“The reactor dump failed,” Martin said. “The heat caused the mechanism to jam. I’m sorry.”
“You have nothing to be sorry for. Thank you for your hard work.”
“It has been a pleasure serving under you, Captain.”
“The pleasure has been all mine.”

Martin cut the link, and Nihal watched a new alert informing her of imminent reactor failure. She looked up and saw Glöckner stare captivated at the screen. He didn’t seem aware that his soft-suit was melting.

“Good God… It’s eating the star.”

On the 10th of October, 2133, the Andreas Stöberl jumped to the Gathrica system. It was supposed to be a standard jump to study the anomalous readings of the system’s star. Instead, they found a creature of unfathomable power.

b1Uy6GL.jpg

The Stellar Devourer, as it soon came to be known, was yet another example of life that only a few decades earlier would have been considered impossible. While the creature itself was terrifying enough alone, its existence opened the possibility for other creatures of equal, or greater, power.
The creature destroyed the Andreas Stöberl in minutes, with only the ship’s black box[1] surviving to tell what had happened. The images horrified the public as they mourned the loss of the crew. The civilian component had been some of the finest minds from around the world, while the military component was mostly comprised of veterans from the Lavis War. All around the world state funerals were held.

30aDuwv.jpg

Among the dead was Dr. Adrian Glöckner, one of the first graduates of the Kaiser Otto IV Technical University’s xenology course. Dr. Glöckner had been a prominent member of the scientific community, hosting several acclaimed documentaries about alien life on Neu Brandenburg and Grossbayern. However, his reputation took a hit when it was revealed that he’d been involved in the autopsies of Lilarobius corpses recovered from destroyed enemy warships in Alpha Centauri.​

As people mourned and dealt with the existential dread the Stellar Devourer induced, the SSA tried to learn more. First, they contacted the Rixi Chroniclers, asking why they had not warned of the danger that sat on their doorstep. After several attempts to get an answer, the Rixi merely responded that “It was not [their] duty to keep the minor races safe.”

The Curator Order was more forthcoming, but lacked concrete details about the creature’s origins. Apparently, the creature had been in a different part of the galaxy the last time it had been observed. The news that the creature could travel enormous distances was not encouraging.

UcHeWuF.jpg

The Stellar Devourer was not the only strange creature rousing humanity’s interest. The Russo-Nordic[2] expedition to Shuckon IV, now known as Russalka, was well underway. While Russian leaders (and, to be fair, much of the Russian populace) had dismissed the potential danger of the “Living Sea”, the loss of the Andreas Stöberl caused a reevaluation. With the expedition so far along it was doubtful that the ship would have enough supplies to make a fully ladened return voyage. The SSA needed answers and approved an in-depth study of the sea.

W82rgrR.jpg

The expedition was comprised of crew members from the Johannes von Gmunden, which after making first contact with the Beldross had spent some time surveying the galactic rim. During their time they had discovered the life-bearing world of Thaaram III, close to the Beldross borders. The alpine world was rather small and poorly suited to Human life. It was, however, quite suited to Beldross physiology and the collective made it quite clear that it considered Thaaram III theirs. The SSA, wanting to nurture peaceful relations with the Hive, acquiesced to their demands.

CsOapA0.jpg

The Human - Beldross frontier. The SSA had already claimed several resource-rich systems along the rim and was more than willing to give up some relatively poor areas in the interest of good relations. The decision also had some strategic concerns, as the rim systems would be much easier to defend.​

This did leave the xenological section of the Johannes von Gmunden with precious little to do, and they were thus free to study the sea, at least until the Russians could take over. However, as the plans were being finalised, Julia Heinemann, a meteorologist, requested to be allowed to join. Her request did argue that her talents would be best put to work studying the strange world, but at times it dipped into ramblings about hearing her brother, who had died in an accident when Julia was eight. This worried the planners back on Earth. This was Julia’s third five-year tour aboard an exploration ship and it was still unclear if there were any long-term side-effects of faster-than-light travel. With some reluctance, her transfer was approved.

k6psvcQ.jpg

When the Russian colony ship arrived a year later, the expedition had found no immediate threat from the Living Sea and “Splashdown” was approved, establishing Humanity’s farthest colony. When the Johannes von Gmunden returned to collect its crew, Dr. Heinemann refused to leave, insisting that she had to “find her brother”. While her request to stay was approved, the KWO quietly decided that she would not be allowed on any future expeditions.

Her work was invaluable, and only a year into the colonisation of Russalka she would present significant findings in “psionic theory”, a theory of the mind that suggested that sentient minds could be linked with no regard of time or space. The theory was controversial and would a decade earlier have destroyed Dr. Heinemann’s career. But contact with the Beldross suggested that something like this existed, and if Humanity could discover its secrets then it would revolutionise every aspect of science.

E3ov72Z.jpg

While Russalka was turning the scientific community on its head, Chang'e was causing a headache for the SSA. As the colony was finding its footing, political malcontents were beginning to argue that the Space Security Administration should seek terms with the Lavis Republic. They argued that the war with the Lilarobius had been caused by the threatening posturing of Germany. This ignored the fact that the Ring Defence Fleet had a significant advantage in numbers during the First Battle of Alpha Centauri and that the Human fleets had been forced to withdraw.

It is not clear what caused this shift in attitude among the colonists. The most common explanation is that the colonists resented the fact that so much of the wealth and resources emerging from the colony were shipped back to Earth. Another theory pointed to the makeup of the colonists; most of them were some form of idealistic adventurer.

Regardless of the reason, the sentiment was not shared on Earth or the neighbouring colonies. The common refrain was that it was “just because they’re far away from the weeds”. The Chinese government were furious. As were the SSA, with denouncements in the Administration Assembly, and closed-door meetings of the Executive Council. However, no easy solution presented itself. Until the protesters handed it to them.

Guiying Chui, China’s representative to the Administration Assembly, delivered a particularly scathing denouncement during an open session of the Assembly. In it, she described the protesters as “a collection of self-interested bandits” and claimed that “they have no moral character”. When footage of her speech reached Chang'e it caused an uproar. Several protesters marched on the colonial administration building, seizing it and refusing to leave until Chui made a public apology. It had the opposite effect, as the SSA now had a legal foundation to take action.

Local security forces were instructed to retake the colonial administration and arrest any protesters found on site. They did this with ease and a minimum of violence (the most severe injuries were a broken arm and a concussion caused by a thrown bottle). Most protesters were only given minor punishments, fines or community service, but the leaders were shipped back to Earth to stand trial.

ZBKzcZp.jpg

While the events worked out in favour of the Space Security Administration, it did significant damage to the organisation’s reputation, both among its opponents on Earth, but especially on Chang'e. Conspiracy theories would abound for years afterwards, suggesting that the local government had intentionally abandoned the administration building to lure the protesters into a trap. In truth, the local security forces had evacuated the building at the first sign of trouble.
The protesters planned to turn the trial into a public show. Unfortunately for them, the trial ended up coinciding with a far more momentous event.

On the 20th of October, 2137, a shuttle landed just outside Bern, Switzerland. Aboard were twelve Beldross drones, the Hive’s “delegation” to the newly established embassy. Equipped with environmental suits, the drones were transported to a specially built compound on the outskirts of the city. The road there was lined with spectators eager to get a glimpse of the first aliens to set foot on Earth[3]. While some bemoaned the Beldross’ strangeness, most were excited.

The embassy was a direct result of Humanity respecting the Beldross claim to Thaaram III. Prior to this, both parties had been somewhat suspicious of each other. And while neither trusted the other, both sides agreed that maintaining direct lines of communication was invaluable. To that end, a portion of the hive would relocate to Earth where they would maintain a direct link between Humanity and the Hive.

swL4Ern.jpg

While the Beldross drones were not the most charismatic diplomats, they took their duties seriously. At any given time, several of them were touring Earth giving “presentations” to the public. These talks were often sources of unintentional comedy, such as one time when a nine-year-old girl asked what the Beldross did for fun. What followed was twenty minutes of the girl explaining the concept of ‘fun’ to the drone. Afterwards, it replied that the Beldross did not do “fun”.
The establishment of “normal” diplomatic relations with an alien race was a major PR victory for the SSA. While the Chang'e incident was still trumpeted by the organisation’s opponents, very few listened.

The Beldross arrival caused a surge in interest regarding space exploration and xenology not seen since the first images from Alpha Centauri III. This “alien-mania” was further fed when in late 2138 an observation post was established in the Pithria pocket and began sending back footage of the Cormanthani going about their lives. In the end, the ‘Humanists’ had won out, at least for now, in regards to how Humanity should deal with non-spacefaring life. Only passive observation methods were allowed, with strict rules limiting planetside activity.

While much of humanity marvelled at how strange, yet familiar the Cormanthani were, another matter was discussed behind closed doors. Signal intercept from the Lavis Republic suggested that they were in contact with another alien species. Details were scant, as the Lilarobius didn’t put much effort into distinguishing between different species, describing them only as the “spinwards threat”[4]. The Executive Council were keen on making contact with this species, hoping for potential allies.

As the 2130s came to a close, Human spirits were remarkably high. Humanity was the most united it had ever been and not only had it persevered in the face of an existential threat, it was thriving. The colonies were not only providing fresh resources, but also new jobs. Each year thousands departed Earth, many of them permanently.

The decade would later become known as the “Quiet Decade” thanks to the perceived calm and lack of conflict. While not seen as such at the time, the events of the 2140s would put them into stark contrast. The decade also marked the end of the early space age, as the following years would radically alter Humanity’s position in the galaxy.

A new era was coming, and Humanity would not have to wait long for it.

[1] - All exploration craft carried an automated drone similar to the communication buys found throughout human space. When a ship received sufficient damage, or was missing life signs from its crew, the drone would return to the jump point the ship had entered from and jump. Once through, it would transmit the ship’s final moments through high-priority channels.

[2] - The Nordic Union had been involved in the project thanks to their extensive maritime experience with projects such as the North Sea Wall and the ecological restoration in the Baltic Sea. While Russalka did have a handful of islands and archipelagos, these would not provide enough land area and were often located far from the areas richest in resources. To deal with this, much of Russalka’s population centres would be underwater or in great, floating city ships.

[3] - While the Yldar of the Curator Orders had often been in orbit around Earth, none of them had set foot on the planet. Centuries of living in space had made them incapable of living outside of a low-gravity environment.

[4] - Humanity was considered the “Anti-spinwards threat”, while the Beldross were the “Rimwards threat”. There was little mention of the Rixi, but most analysts suspected they had made contact.

Sorry for taking so long with this one. There wasn't a whole lot happening in-game, so I had to get creative. The next part will be more eventful.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
It's good to see this updated. You claim not much happened, and yet you made it quite interesting. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
That was a really good opening with the Stellar Devourer! Great scene writing!

As for the rest, it looks like a nice stable period with lots of new alien life. I wonder what will bring it all down…

Two Miscalculations
Two Miscalculations
June 2141 - Folvaris Ward - Heron suburbs

co5TxaT.jpg

A pair of Ring Defence Fleet corvettes performing intercept drills. The RDF held a position of great esteem on the Ring, and the government would frequently showcase its abilities.
(art by Neil Blevins)
“I feel like the day you sprouted was like a lifetime ago. It went by so fast.

I need to go, but know that you’ve been with me every day.

Stay strong. Don’t be afraid. Everything will be okay, I promise.

Know that I did what I could to protect you.”

Hazel looked like they wanted to say something, but a garbled voice off-screen said something, so Hazel reached out and shut off the recording. Linden was left watching their own reflection in the dark screen. Finding the silence oppressive they pressed play on the second video.

A moment later Hazel appeared again, this time wearing the aspirant uniform of the Ring Defence Fleet. They floated in a room with two dozen others, all wearing the same uniform. They spoke in unison.

“I solemnly swear, to devote my life and abilities, in the defence of the Lavis Republic. To defend the Lilarobius Constitution and to safeguard the Ring from all threats, external and internal.

From the core of Lav, to the rim of the galaxy.

For as long as I shall live.”

The room went silent. Some of the aspirants looked elated, others serious. Hazel was among those who looked worried.

The video ended, and Linden once again saw their own reflection in the screen. This time there wasn’t another video to distract them, so Linden floated off. As they did, their gaze fell on the picture Linden’s grandparents had hung on the wall.

It showed a much younger Hazel and a newly sprouted Linden. Anchoring Linden was Alder, wearing the officer’s uniform of the Ring Defence Fleet.

Linden had no memory of their stamen. Alder had been present at both battles with the Human threat. According to Hazel, the first battle had almost been a great victory, but a Human trick had forced them to pull back.

Alder had not returned from the second battle.

Linden had often wondered how they had died. Had it been quick and painless? Or had they been trapped on a ship with failing life-support? Had their final thoughts been of Hazel? Or maybe Linden?

It was a pointless exercise. There was no way to know how Linden’s stamen had died. And now their pistil too was aboard a warship, about to fight a second battle with the Humans.

Linden wondered where it had gone wrong. At first, the news had been good. The Ring Defence Fleet had taken the Humans by surprise and taken control of their first defensive line. But then the news stopped.

Or at least the official news did. Unofficial ones didn’t paint a pretty picture. When the RDF returned to Lav, their numbers were halved and those that did return were in poor shape.

The Gardens of Justice had clamped down hard on anything it deemed “defeatist”, but with the shipyards working constantly and a massive recruitment drive, it wasn’t hard to read between the lines.

There was no shortage of people volunteering to fight, but Hazel hadn’t been one of them. But when the RDF approached them based on their work as a systems engineer, Hazel had agreed. So Linden had moved to their grandparents. Exactly why Hazel had agreed was something Linden had asked in their last message. So far there hadn’t been a reply. Not yet.

“Linden! Get out here!” Cypress shouted. They sounded agitated, maybe even excited. Linden had never known either of their grandparents to get particularly worked up. Floating outside, they found Cypress and Larch together with a group of neighbours. All of them were staring at the sky.

“Look! There’s another one!” Cypress shouted, to the ooohs and aaahs of the others.
Linden looked up and saw a distant fireball, bright as Lav itself, fade. A fusion reactor losing containment.

“There’s another!” Larch shouted. “We’re really pounding the aliens!”

That didn’t sound quite right. “Didn’t White Pine say there were going to stop them outside the Ring?”
“That’s right, child,” one of the neighbours said. “That way our fleet will keep the Humans far away and you safe from harm.”
“But how can we see them unless they’re inside the ring.”

Everyone got quiet. The silence was punctuated by another fusion detonation in the sky. This one was especially large. Nobody cheered this time.

One of the neighbours lost buoyancy and collapsed to the ground. Their family scurried over to help them. Another neighbour started calling for their children. Another flew away at speed, to where, Linden wasn’t sure.

Larch grabbed hold of Linden. “We have to go!”
Linden wanted to ask where to, but there was a much more important question on their mind.
“Hazel is dead, right? My pistil…”

Their grandparents’ silence was all the confirmation Linden needed.

As Larch pulled them back inside, Linden looked up at the sky, just in time to see another ship’s reactor detonate.

On the 30th of January, 2140, the Eissam defensive station detected thirty-one hyperlane ruptures from the Sidor system. While the Lilarobius had occasionally sent ships into the Eissam system during the preceding decade, these had always been “civilian” and only a single ship at a time. Thirty-one ships could only mean one thing, and a priority message was sent to Earth.

The confirmation came not soon later. The entire Ring Defense Fleet emerged into Eissam and broadcast a simple message: Humanity’s stay of execution was over.’

1m81VGI.jpg

Following the formal declaration of war, the Lavis fleet continued to transmit messages. Most of these were barely coherent threats or drawn-out fantasies about what would happen once the RDF was in Earth orbit. Years later it would come to light that the Lavis Republic had held a “Messages to the Aliens” campaign, where Lavis citizens could record threats to be broadcast at any alien fleet.
The declaration of war caught the Space Security Administration somewhat flatfooted. Budgetary concerns had led to the Home Fleet (formerly known as the United Fleet) being docked in Sol. This led to a reversal of the situation during the First Lavis War, where Humanity had leveraged shorter supply lines into a strategic advantage. It was clear to everyone, especially those on Eissam Station, that help would not arrive in time.

As shore leave was cancelled and the Home Fleet prepared for war, panic began spreading, especially on Earth and Neu Brandenburg. In the decade since the previous war, people had somewhat forgotten the Lavis Republic as Humanity had encountered alien species which, while not exactly friendly, were at least willing to find some common ground. With a new war, the threat returned with a vengeance to most people’s minds.

It was in this climate that the German representative to the Executive Council, Admiral Konrad Wolff, delivered his famous comment during a press conference:

“Some of the members of the press are asking if we have made any miscalculations regarding the Lilarobius. They are not wrong to ask these questions. So far in this war, there have been two miscalculations; one small and one great. The first one is ours. We should have kept our fleet in a state where we could assist our defensive bastions. We have failed in this, and now a great number of brave men and women will pay the ultimate price for our failure.

While this failure is great, and will haunt those responsible for the rest of their lives, it is the Lavis Republic leadership who will truly come to regret this day.

The enemy fields thirty-one corvettes. This is a great number, true. More than our twenty-six. But Naval intelligence suggests that the Lilarobius think that is the extent of our fleet, and that they believe our nine Ocelot-class destroyers are mere supply ships. Rest assured, they will come to regret this.

The Lavis Republic may have started another war, but we will ensure they don’t get to start a third one. The Council has discussed it, and the Assembly supports us. This time we’re not stopping until the Lilarobius threat is contained.”

LkaYukX.jpg

The Ocelot class gunships were an evolution of the previous Edelweiss and Myrtenaster designs. While the ships carried some long-range weapons, a significant portion of its weapons were close-range autocannons, specifically designed to chew through RDF corvettes.
In a way, the SSA was far more ready for war than it let on, even if the Lavis attack had caught them off guard. In documents that wouldn’t be declassified for half a century, it was revealed that the Executive Council had entered talks with the Beldross Hive concerning a joint invasion of Lilarobius territory. The talks never went anywhere, as the Beldross didn’t consider the Lavis Republic much of a threat[1]. However, later Lavis apologists have claimed that the Lilarobius learned of these talks and that the invasion was defensive in nature[2].

However, all of this mattered little to the 237 individuals manning Eissam Station. Not only was it clear to them that help wouldn’t arrive, they were also well aware that the Lilarobius would not take any prisoners. Amid their final preparations, the station’s crew sent their final messages back to Earth. Most of these were teary-eyed farewells to friends and family. The station’s commander, Captain Sabina Emiliya Vasilev, sent a message to the Russian President, saying: “I have no pithy comments. I just pray that you make this worth it.”

x1uhB8b.jpg

The beginning of the Siege of Eissam Station. Eissam station would go down in history alongside many other final stands, such as Thermopylae, the Alamo and the Chasseurs Ardennais’ defence against the Commune of France.​

There was never any doubt as to the outcome of the Siege of Eissam Station, but the ferocity of the fighting surprised both sides. By the time the station’s weapons had been disabled, five Lavis corvettes had been destroyed or scuttled. When the Lilarobius forces docked with the station they found themselves embroiled in what can best be described as a guerrilla war, as the surviving crew used side passages, service tunnels and sometimes the outside of the station to move around and launch surprise attacks on the enemy. In the end, the Lavis forces resorted to depressurising the station section by section until the final thirty-six surviving crew members launched a suicidal frontal attack.

While all 237 Humans manning the station were killed, it is not clear how many Lilarobius were killed. Conservative numbers put their losses at 150-200, while some put the number at three times that. Either way, such losses go a long way to explain the reduced efficiency of the Ring Defence Fleet in the ensuing fleet battle.

The Lavis Republic had only held Eissam for a week when the Home Fleet arrived in the system. At this point, they had only restored some of the station’s weapons to working order and were still patching up damage to their ships. The moment the Home Fleet arrived a flurry of encrypted communication broke out among the Lavis ships. The commander of the Home Fleet, Admiral Xian Shen, noted that “It seems the weeds have realised the gravity of their miscalculation”.

nQzlgqn.jpg

The opening shots of the Battle of Eissam. While the captured Eissam station would provide some support, the fire was sporadic and inaccurate as the Lilarobius struggled to make the Human weapons fire on their former masters.
The Battle of Eissam would be the most one-sided battle of the war. Exactly how many ships the Ring Defence Fleet lost is a matter of some debate[3], but most agree that the Lavis Republic lost around half its fleet in a matter of hours. In return, only one Human ship, the Eisenhut, was lost. And even then the ship was abandoned in an orderly fashion.

Admiral Shen then turned her attention to Eissam Station. Using the Lilarobius’ own tactics against them, she managed to retake the station without excessive loss of Human life. The main difference between Shen’s assault and the original was that Shen offered the Lilarobius a chance to surrender. None of them took it.

In the aftermath of the Battle of Eissam, the war quieted down a little as both sides made efforts to repair and rearm. This period also saw the mobilisation and outfitting of the 1st Expeditionary Army. While the Japanese Empire still supplied the majority of the manpower, over the previous decade this had been supplemented with assets from the various Great Powers, including combined arms drones and the latest command and control network. While the Japanese outnumbered any other nation five times to one, it was estimated that any Great Power battalion could deploy twelve times the firepower compared to its Japanese counterpart.

mTigsjX.jpg

German Raumjägers on exercise. Germany had maintained a small contingent of troops trained for boarding action and zero-g combat since the earliest days of the Raumstreitkräfte. They saw a massive expansion following the First Lavis War.
(Art by Juan Pablo Roldan)
The Japanese contingent was a sore spot for both military and civilian planners. The Japanese military was strictly hierarchical, with very little opportunity for soldiers on the ground to deviate from orders based on the situation on the ground. This, alongside a focus on massed infantry assaults, was in stark contrast to pretty much every other military doctrine on Earth. Most SSA civilian leaders considered them a liability, while military commanders considered them a waste of logistics. However, the Japanese troops held a central position in all invasion plans.

It was expected that any landing on the Ring would be met with fierce resistance. This, combined with intelligence suggesting that below ground level the Ring was a honeycomb of service tunnels and hatchways, kept military planners up at night. They feared not only the military difficulty in clearing the Ring, but also feared that excessive losses could lead to calls for peace. The Japanese contingent provided an easy solution to this problem.

Admiral Ikegoshi had spent the previous decade complaining that he had been robbed of a chance for glory during the previous war (while simultaneously emphasising that he and Japan had been critical in ensuring final victory). Now his Great Power counterparts offered to let his troops deal with “close-combat situations” and “military operations in urban terrain”, while they dealt with situations where “manoeuvre warfare” and “tactical flexibility” were more important. Admiral Ikegoshi agreed empathetically, writing to the Emperor that “Japan has been given a task of the highest honour and importance”. With that, thousands of Japanese conscripts were consigned to a meatgrinder long before any Human set foot on the Ring.

By the 23rd of January, 2141, almost a year after the start of the conflict, the Home Fleet was getting ready to start its counterattack. As it made final preparations, high-level diplomatic efforts finally paid off. The Beldross Hive agreed to a non-aggression pact with the Space Security Administration, allowing the Home Fleet to set sail without fear of a surprise attack on Humanity’s rimward systems.

7Osj20g.jpg

Humanity had pursued a non-aggression pact with the Beldross for some time. It’s unclear what made the Beldross agree on the eve of the offensive. There are three main theories: a) the Beldross saw the destructive potential of the coming offensive, and wanted to ensure peace, b) the Beldross feared Human military might, and c) the Beldross wanted to foster an alliance with Humanity against another threat. Most historians argue that all three factors played a part in the decision.
With its rimward flank secured, the Home Fleet began its counterattack on the 27th of January. By pure chance, the Lavis Republic had decided to attempt retaking Eissam around the same time. The two fleets detected each other in the Sidor system between Lav and Eissam. Battle was not joined, as the Ring Defense Fleet turned immediately upon detecting the Home Fleet and returned to Lav.

The encounter caused great celebration both aboard the Home Fleet and on Earth. Not only were the Lilarobious unwilling to fight, their fleet only numbered eighteen ships, far less than what Humanity was fielding. Admiral Shen sent a message back to High Command saying “The weeds flee. I will follow them home with some weedkiller.”

This message caused something of a stir back on Earth. While calling the Lilarobious “weeds” was something accepted in even polite company[4], the timing caused a bit of a panic. Since the Home Fleet had departed, a video of Admiral Shen attending a meeting of the “Human Future Vanguard” had emerged. The Vanguard was explicit in calling itself a Human supremacist group, arguing that “[Humanity] must secure the existence of our people, and a future for our children”. While the Vanguard was somewhat vague on exactly how Humanity should achieve this, the subtext was clear. The Administration Assembly responded by hurriedly sending a very detailed document clarifying the rules of engagement, signed by the Executive Council.

FtSpda7.jpg

Admiral Shen’s membership in the Human Future Vanguard had been known for quite some time, but seeing as she had never presented herself as a member of the military during any meetings she had not broken any of the rules of either the Raumstreitkräfte or the SSA military. The publicity boosted the Vanguard, which gained thousands of new members in the ensuing weeks.
By August, the Home Fleet was in position by the hyperlane to Lav. After sending a few recognisance probes through the hyperlane, Shen made a startling discovery: The Ring Defense Fleet was not holding position inside the Ring, close to the shipyards where the fleet could receive some supporting fire. Instead, it was parked at the exit of the hyperlane. This would reduce the amount of enemy fire, but also allowed her a powerful psychological weapon.

Travelling a hyperlane was effectively instant for the ship doing it, but for outside observers, it could take anywhere from two to five days. While there were some constants, the time was influenced by a number of factors, such as the number of ships travelling, total tonnage and a myriad of factors that made the exact travel time an exercise of educated guesswork. That meant the Ring Defense Fleet had no way of knowing exactly when the Home Fleet would arrive, and would thus need to be in a state of constant readiness. Over a long enough time, this would exhaust the Lilarobious crews manning the enemy ships. And while the Human crews would suffer from hyperlane nausea, this was something they would have to deal with no matter what.

So Admiral Shen spent the next nine days preparing for the battle, letting her crews rest and recover. Meanwhile, her counterparts were suffering from a lack of sleep.

On the 19th of August, Shen ordered the Home Fleet to jump. Emerging three days later, but instantaneously from her perspective, she engaged a fleet worn ragged by stress and anxiety.

The Ring Defense Fleet held firm for forty-seven minutes. When one of the Lavis warships tried pulling back following an ammunition detonation another captain interpreted it as a signal to retreat. This cascaded through the Lavis ranks, as some ships started pulling back amid orders to stand and fight. It didn’t take long before the rout was a fact, starting the “Tumble”.

FqeKwMG.jpg

The Battle of Lav, during the “Tumble” portion of the battle. As the Ring Defense Fleet retreated, the Home Fleet followed, firing as they did. This caused a strange, elongated combat envelope. As the Lavis ships took damage, they would often lose control and seem to “tumble” towards the Ring.
As the Home Fleet emerged inside the Ring for the first time they began to encounter more and more desperation from the defenders. A variety of civilian ships had been outfitted with weapons and sent to meet them. Most of them died without firing a shot. In the station’s shipyards lay a single, large warship, clearly inspired by the Ocelot-class gunships. The ship was still missing its engines and parts of the plating, but fired its guns while still in dock. It lasted a little longer, taking several railgun shots before suffering from reactor failure. In doing so it also caused severe damage to the station, disabling several of its guns.

When the Battle of Lav was over, the Home Fleet had lost six corvettes. The Lavis Republic lost its entire navy: eighteen corvettes, one partially built destroyer, a dozen converted civilian ships and the main shipyard was disabled.

The battle for orbital supremacy was over, and there was nothing to stop the Home Fleet from taking up a position above the Ring.

mTsA0EV.jpg

The Home Fleet begins suppressing air, sea and ground units on the Ring.
(art by LordDoomhammer)
[1] - The later discovery of significant Beldross fortifications along the Lavis border made it clear they were at least somewhat worried.

[2] - No evidence of this has been found in Lavis archives, though much of the government archives were destroyed during the war, some of it intentional, some accidental. The apologists consider this lack of evidence to be proof of a Human cover-up.

[3] - The issue arises from some of the ships reported destroyed in the battle’s after-action report appearing in later engagements, while some ships that military analysts assumed to have survived were never seen again.

[4] - The term had even been used in the Administration Assembly on a few occasions. The only official response was the Assembly President urging members to “use precise terminology”.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I predict the people of Lavis are about to have a couple of very radical mental adjustments forced upon them in the form of orbital bombardment and soldiers.

This continues to be excellently written. I love the backroom politicing to coldly give the Japanese the job no one else wants.

• 1Love
Reactions:
I predict the people of Lavis are about to have a couple of very radical mental adjustments forced upon them in the form of orbital bombardment and soldiers.

This continues to be excellently written. I love the backroom politicing to coldly give the Japanese the job no one else wants.

Orbital bombardment is one of those Significant Emotional Events™ that make you rethink all your life decisions.

This continues to be one of the best written and detailed AARs

Thank you. I'm glad people are enjoying it.

Damn, I really love the different perspectives you manage to give. Just the simple everyday life of the Lilarobius was really well done, you feel sorry for the innocent people (plants?) on the ground.
I'm sure the Lavis Republic (or what is left of it) won't soon forget this war.
The xenophobia on Earth is a bit concerning but hopefully it won't turn into all-out genocide.

• 1Love
Reactions: