• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(31542)

Corporal
Jul 5, 2004
Ac.prussiaflag.jpg

Now is it ER or E at the end of Koenig? Well that's enough attrocious german
Oh no, another Prussia AAR. Well, tough, Prussia is cool and so I'd like my first AAR to be played as Prussia.

Here are the conditions of the game :
- I will be using a edited version of IGC (Improved IGC :p ) which means that bohemia starts as an Austrian vassal, Danemark has a CBS on Holstein, France loses CBS on the netherlands, Hannover has CBS on hansa and some other stuff I can't remember
- I will liberally edit the save game for things like trading provinces (say if I own Lorraine and France owns Munster) or for forcing rebels to defect (say Milan has had the red flag for 10 years). I will also edit and use events to reflect historical devellopments (+200 relations for Spain/Austria and Military Alliance with the accession of charles V for example)
- I will play with United Prussia
- I will NOT systematically vassalize/annex certain german minors : Bavaria, Saxony, Hannover for example
- I WILL vassalize when it is historically reasonable. IE, I crush a minor thoroughly, or there is some roleplay reason for it (think Franco-Prussian War type of reason)
- history will be changed initially to reflect the fact I don't want to play as "brandenburg" and I don't have the skill to edit the name in 1701. I believe the change I made was historically reasonable.

My goals during the game will be :
- to create a personality for each monarch more or less based on the historical person
- to attempt to achieve the aims of these monarchs which may not include : unifying Germany, creating a colonial empire or conquering any really unreasonable place
- create a plausible and realistic atmosphere

As you can see, I'm giving myself some pretty strong rights. PLEASE, comment and yell at me if I step out of line. Also, does anyone know a decent place to host images so I can get some decent pics up?

Now that that's out of the way, I'll post the first installment in the next post.

I Albrecht of Prussia

I Albrecht of Prussia

Albrecht von Preussien born in 1490 would determine the future of the lands at the crossroads of the germans and the slavs : Prussia. He became grand master of the Teutonic Order in 1511 and thus became part of the grand struggle between the Order and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, between the Empire and the Kingdom of Poland.

The question, as there is always a question in the Great Game of politics, was the Prussian question. Both Poland and the Order had claims on East Prussia, a small peripheral land, conquered by the Order at the Poles' invitation some centuries before. Now the land was considered vital for Polish interests from there, Danzig, Poland's only access to the Baltic, could be captured easily from Prussia. For the Knights of the Order, war seemed the only solution to the question, neither the Emperor (who had been at war with Poland not long before) nor the Pope recognised Poland's claims on the region and thus, there was no moral ambiguity. Poland had shown both strength and weakness, in its war with the Emperor only a few years earlier, it had gone deep into Bohemia and bested the imperial armies and yet, there had been great unrest and instability in the country. The cossacks had rebelled and attempted to create an independant state, the country had been torn by foreign and civil wars.

RevoltofCossacks.jpg

The Cossack rebellion in the Ukraine

And yet, Poland and Lithuania had won all these struggles. They possessed the vastest territory and best army in eastern Europe, thus, polish resolve for the Prussian question was unfaltering. Albrecht thus had much on his plate when he became grand master. He believed that war with Poland would devastate not only Prussia, but might forsake the entire mission on the Baltic. What's more, he had had many discussions with a certain Martin Luther in Wittenburg on the complex question of theology.

Convinced that the internal religious conflicts would soon devastate the Order and perhaps falter in the face of Poland, Albrecht thought of his cousin, Joachim Nestor von Hohenzollern Elector of Brandenburg. Joachim was a mere lesser prince of little influence, harmless to Poland. Thus Poland would find granting the new Duchy of Prussia to Joachim as compatible with the interests of Poland. For Albrecht, his close relation with Joachim meant he would keep some influence there. Thus, Elector, King and Grand Master met in Koenigsberg on Christmas Day of the year 1512 to arrange to the handover. The terms of the Poles were simple, Brandenburg must not intervene in any war between Poland and the Order and Brandenburg may form no alliance with either parties. Joachim was overjoyed to add to himself the title of Duke and Albrecht had avoided war with Poland, at least for now. Thus was taken the first step in the rise of Brandenburg-Prussia. Ironically for Albrecht, only a year later, the Swedes would wage war against the order in the name secularization.

HoldingsofJoachim.jpg

The lands of Joachim I Nestor Hohenzollern

Last edited:
II Elector Joachim I Nestor and Count von Stenger

II Elector Joachim I Nestor and Count von Stenger

Joachim was not a terribly active ruler. He contented himself with avoiding thinking about the coming storm of the Reformation and simply running his country. His Prussian holdings were never significant to him and he considered them a part of Poland (as, officially, they were). He was, like almost all German princes, always wary of too much imperial influence which lead him to form a simple system of secret alliances within the Empire in case of war. The members were mainly his relatives in Brunswick-Oldenburg, in Bavaria, Cleves and Thuringen.

LeagueofPrinces.jpg

The Members of the anti-imperial alliance, the League of Princes

Corruption was rampant throughout his reign which was of no help to the Brandenburg-Prussian economy, abuse of the peoples of East Prussia by the governors was regular and brutal. And this, mainly due to Joachim's negligence. Though what is seen as his greatest failure during his early rule, which in fact he was in no position to act, was the adding of the lands of the Hansa to the holdings of the Danish King Christian the Second. Losing influence each day in Sweden in the face of the fiercely independant nobility, Christian sought to regain the initiative in Germany. First by taking over Sleswig-Holstein and then by invading the hanseatic lands of Bremen-Mecklenburg. Thus, Brandenburg now had another mighty neigbor at its borders, which might continue its invasion of Germany at any time. In the face of Danish aquisitions in Germany, Spanish aquisitions on the western border of the Empire and the accession of Karl V as Holy Roman Emperor, King of Spain and Archduke of Austria, Joachim had a change of heart.

DanemarkinGermany.jpg

The Danish position in Germany

HoldingsofCharlesV.jpg

Karl V's possessions in France and Germany

He would reform the army, give it proper funding and finally create an offensive force intended for the invasion of either Danemark or Silesia. Joachim managed to form some loose dynastic ties with both the Danish royal family and the House of Habsburg in order to lessen the likelyhood of their aggression. His son, Joachim II Hector von Hohenzollern was sent to be educated in Ducal Prussia. There he was trained not only by members of the Order in military prowess, but was also introduced to the ideas of Luther (to his father's chagrin).

In 1521, influenced by his cousing Albrecht and pressured by the junkers worried of Danish encroachment, Joachim let a certain Count von Stenger, a famous and skilled member of the Order, to become an adviser. Von Stenger captivated the Elector, convincing, strong, presenting himself as the only barrier Brandenburg had against Danish and Polish aggression. Indeed, von Stenger had fought both succesfully in successive wars in defense of the Order. Adviser is perhaps a weak word however, Stenger was ruthless, oftentimes almost bullying Joachim into submission claiming that his departure would doom Brandenburg. Stenger advocated, unsurprisingly, an alliance with the Teutonic Order, Joachim was adamant about the issue and refused to renounce his oath of neutrality in the region.

In early 1523, war erupted between Sweden and the Emperor on one side and Danemark and the Russian principalities on the other. Danemark had already been weakened by numerous rebellions in the hanseatic cities and Sweden scored easy victories, annexing the russian principality of Pskov. The n Karl V was also succesful and tore Bremen from Denmark. After the Austro-Danish peace, the war in Sweden was still raging, Stenger argued fiercely with his lord over the necessity of war with a prostrate Denmark, now, in order to claim lands of Holstein-Mecklenburg in the name of the Empire. Joachim however, saw that the war would not be seen as legitimate, there had been no provocation from the Danes, they we're fellow christians, indeed catholics and Joachim had just arranged for one of his niece, Luise, to marry a danish prince. However, Stenger forced the issue.

He made Joachim sign a letter claiming that he would allow his niece to marry into the Swedish Vasa line. Joachim had understood a distant relative Maria would be married, however, the letter he signed was not specific. Von Stenger had calculated well, the Swedes naturally believed that the letter was refering to the more well known Luise, not Maria, this meant Joachim would sever the ties with Denmark and remarry Luise to a Vasa. The implication was indeed that Brandenburg would help the Swedes in the war once the dynastic ties were broken. By the time Joachim understood what had happened, all was in disarray. Gustav went to the Hohenzollern palace itself and a fierce argument erupted between the Swedish King and the German Prince. Gustav made several threats hinting that he would perhaps take undefended Ducal Prussia from Joachim. In the end Gustav and Stenger's voices prevailed. War was declared and a marriage was celebrated.

The margravate was shaken by the news. There were many rumours that Swedish intrigue had acted in the palace or that the Elector had protestant ideas. None of which were quite true, what is certain is that there was no public support for the war. The subjects of Joachim had not been prepared mentally for war, although they had expected one, they were shocked that their state should start it. Although there were no real revolts. There were some small riots and more importantly (mainly due to the renoucement of marital vows) many conservative peasants, clerics and junkers refused to give their due in either food, support or gold. Stenger as a general had never had to deal with civilians, hence his complete disregard, even miscalculation, for preparing the war in the eyes of the people. Joachim's brother, field marshal Casimir, lead the assault.

MarchagainstDanemark.jpg

Casimir marches against the Danes.

The war was incredibly unpopular, but not only this, there were mass conversions to protestantism by local priests in protest against the war. These were spurred on when Hesse became the first protestant state. In the Memeland, there was a complete rebellion of the peasantry lead by protestants and Old Prussian (natives) peasants. This was swiftly crushed, but it convinced von Stenger that the protestants needed recognition. Von Stenger was totally indifferent to the question of religion, but it mattered to him that religion interfered in his plans. Thus, he coaxed the catholic Elector-prince into giving protestants some recognition, or at least tolerance, from the state. Meanwhile abroad, the military situation could not be better, the German armies had practically walked through Denmark and then used stolen ships to reach Copenhagen which was subsequently captured. Von Stenger who had made such a blunder in home affairs, had made a spectacular victory abroad. Holstein and Mecklenburg were ceded to Brandenburg and a small reparation was paid. The Swedes would soon after have Danemark cede the provinces of Skane and Jamtland. The Danes would never forgive the Brandenburgers for this piece of Stenger's treachery and the subsequent military humilation and pillage of their capital. To this day, Danes remain suspicious of their southern neighbors.

SackofCopenhagen.jpg

Copenhagen is sacked by jovial Germans.

Meanwhile prostantism and revolution were sweeping through Europe. And Karl V Holy Roman Emperor, born master of the Old World, was powerless to stop the change. In Italy, the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies had rebelled and declared itself independant, in Ireland, the English had lost control of their Irish subjects. Within the Empire, more and more principalities were switching to the new faith. No longer was von Stenger the garant against foreign agression. Now he represented the voice of moderation against protestants.

Von Stenger was not this however, he was an opportunist, should there be a crisis, he would be ready to exploit it. Henry the VIII, King of England had rejected adherence to the Pope in order in order to divorce, yet again, his wife in defiance of Karl V. Von Stenger sensing history, proposed an alliance to the anxious King Henry in January 1532, intended against the Emperor. Mere months later, France declared war on England, claiming the coastal town of Calais. French motivations are easy to understand. Spain and Austria each, alone, had vastly superior armies to France. The only place to expand with Karl's toleration was a heretic country, England in this case. What's more, England's allies had just fought a war and had no navies to send aid. Thus, England was alone against France, although her German friends were with her in spirit (barring Bavaria). However, it was almost certain England would falter, France had created alliances with the Irish clans and the Scots, England faced war on all fronts.

EnglandBesieged.jpg

Can England hold?

Overcome by guilt over the fate of England, having faced his last years humiliatingly under the thumb of von Stenger Joachim I Nestor passed away quietly in his sleep. His son Joachim II Hektor was a conflicted man. On the one hand, he had been raised into military virtues by the Knights of Ducal Prussia and he loved all that von Stenger represented in this. However, the humiliation of his father and brutal treatment of the Danes had been too much. On new year's 1535 he kicked von Stenger, step by step, out of the Hohenzollern palace and banished him from the realm. Thus, the Stenger era was over, the old knight withdrew to his Livonian estate and died some years later of a stroke and disappointment. Brandenburg would now start anew, lead by a chivalrous soldier and devout lutheran.

Last edited:
Very nice and I like your screens very well placed. Good luck and best wishes I tend to go crazy with that country and fall into rebbelion.

Thanks to those reading :cool:
Looks like 50megs is the dumps. Anyone know a site which hosts images and allows remote linking?

czerpak said:
Nice start, just remeber to keep your hands off Poland ;)

Historically, it is not that unlikely to ally with P-L but that would lead you into wars against Turks ...
Poland is doing well since the Muscovites are gertting anywhere, however I'm really craving for Danzig, and maybe Royal Prussia. Although its really not terribly feasible for me at this point.

III Joachim II Hektor of Prussia, the Stubborn

III Joachim II Hektor of Prussia, the Stubborn

Now thirty years old, Joachim II Hektor relished the new responsibilities given to him as Elector of Brandenburg and Duke of Prussia. Although he had admired and loved his father, he was very different indeed. Raised mainly by the Knights of Ducal Prussia, he had become accustomed to fighting, living crudely and the untamed wilderness. He felt attached to the Duchy, which although a dependancy of the Kingdom of Poland, as though an island of Germany surrounded by slavs. He felt disdain for the native Old Prussians, their baltic tongue and pagan origins. The new Joachim would between wars support plans of ruthless Germanization of the locals. It was the one of the first, and sadly not the last, examples of ethnic cleansing by Germans.

Hektor had grown up in a Brandenburg dominated by Stenger's opportunism and realpolitik. He intended to change all that and be a virtuous defender of the lutheran cause, using his skills as a soldier to their fullest. He wanted at once an alliance with the Teutonic Order, he believed not only that the Knights would choose the right faith, but he also believed in the German mission on the Baltic coast. Thus began Hektor's reign, he dissolved the old League of Princes, and planned the construction of a new Lutheran League. The symbols of Catholicism were Spain and Austria, the Empire of Karl V. To counter him, Hektor brought as many protestant princes as possible into the alliance. In April 1536, Carlos I, as King of Spain, declared war on England, Poland and Lithuania joined him in the war. All honoured the alliance. Hektor used the occasion to show his true colours, and officially changed the state religion to protestantism. Priests were hung, churches were pillaged and lands were confiscated from catholic junkers. The result was great wealth and greater insecurity. But now, there was war with Poland, the more secular but just as lethal, foe of Brandenburg. Joining the Catholics were Cologne and the Palatinate, and thus, Princes were now dueling in western Germany. Thus began the Nine Years' War.

NYWinGermany.jpg

The Nine Years' War in Germany

The Poles began the war by invading the territory they believed was theirs : Ducal Prussia. Through sentiment, Hektor made the mistake of sending inadequate armies to relieve Koenigsberg. The result was the destruction of each invading army and minimal Polish losses. In Germany, the protestants had some initial victories against the German catholics. However, Cleves and Thuringe were soon smothered by Spanish reinforcements and Charles claimed both Duchies. Meanwhile, France installed a puppet in the Archbishopric of Odenburg and the English ceded Calais. Meanwhile, traders in Lubeck had hired some mercenaries rebelled against Brandenburg. They now besieged Bremen. In Royal Prussia (west Prussia) there was success, Thorn was captured and Posen switched hands twice. However, the Polish army beat the Brandenburger army in Posen and sent them running back to the borders of the Empire. In December, the Poles had begun besieging the fortress-city that was Berlin, field marshal Georg and his army were meanwhile busy capturing the city of Danzig.

TheWarLooksGrim.jpg

The War looks grim indeed

In March the peasants of Thuringe rebelled against spanish heresy and formed a new government which swiftly rejoined the Lutheran League and the war. In October, the Spanish and Austrians retook Thuringe and Berlin was captured by the Poles. Hektor adamantly refused all offer of piece in exchange of Ducal Prussia. Soon, the Hansa was reborn, with its capital in Bremen and declared war on Brandenburg, Hannover proper was taken by Spain. England and Brandenburg now stood alone. In early 1542, however, Pommerania and the Teutonic Order switched to lutheranism. The Knights and Junkers were eager to join the lutheran league, although they would not intervene in the war. By 1543, Koenigsberg had been liberated and Magdeburg had been captured by the Poles. Now, there was a last, desperate, attempt to capture Warsaw. Several months later, the Polish capital fell, though the Poles refused a return to the Status Quo. Eventually, the English managed to pressure the Spanish into forcing the Poles to go along with peace. Indeed, it was a welcome one. But Brandenburg had been devastated, Hektor's German allies had been stripped of their lands, England had lost Calais, the war was a catastrophic defeat.

NYWAfter.jpg

The Aftermath of the Nine Year's War in Germany

Now, his realm finally knew peace, Joachim began thinking of how to consolidate his position and find more help. The Baltic protestants in Pommerania and Livonia would be of aid, but more would be required. Thus he enlisted the Catholic Bavarians into a now, more flexible alliance. In fact, Hektor had mixed feelings about this move, it reminded him of the sort of thing von Stenger would do. The alliance became the Opposition, it took on the anti-imperial (or more contemporary, anti-Charles) character of the old League of Princes. Poland had since fallen out with Charles, and Hektor began planning for war with the Emperor.

In July 1547, France allied with Poland declared war on the Emperor. Hektor was delighted about all but the timing. His country was still unprepared, he hoped it would drag on long enough for him to intervene. Meanwhile, Sweden, Hessen and Saxony joined the Opposition. Then as the snow melted in Bohemia in the year 1549 and the Franco-Imperial war dragged on, Hektor invaded Silesia. What became known in Brandenburg as the Second War of Karl had begun.

SWKinGermany.jpg

Austria and its enemies in the Second War of Karl

By 1550, Calvinism became a widespread religion and rebellion engulfed the Netherlands. France and Poland left the war in exchange of Champagne. Hektor now feared another failed war. There was hope however! Rebellion was sweeping across the Habsburg Empire. Holland declared independance and began conquering the rest of the Netherlands and the territories of Munster-Cleves defected to Brandenburg. In 1556 France, seeing Dutch victories in Spanish France, rejoined the war, Poland on her side. That same year, Karl V, Holy Roman Emperor, died. This was seen as a good omen by all peoples opposing Empire and Papacy. The war was coming to an end.

With several more years of grueling conflict (during which Hektor had a fit of madness due to the stress of the war) came what historians would call the deathblow of Charles' Empire. Holland took Hainaut and was recognised internationally. Hannover declared independance from France and Spain (which Spain quickly reclaimed). Bavaria emerged as the winner in south Germany, taking Thuringen. France took Luxemburg and Prussia took the rich province of Silesia as well as Munster on the Rhine. The end of this war (for Prussia 1565) is seen as the pivotal point of the history of Brandenburg-Prussia. The new territories would be vital later on. However, Brandenburg was a relatively minor player compared to England, France or Poland in the war. Thus, Hektor's achievements should not be overstated and the devastation to Brandenburg (and all Germany) was trully terrible. Rather, his tenacity in these two wars would earn him the title 'the Stubborn'. The wars had its toll on the old man however, and he vowed to spend the rest of his years in recovery, defence and art.

GFIAFCE.jpg

France and Germany after a first partition of Charles' Empire.

In 1570, to Hektor's horror, Pommerania had declared war on Spain, claiming the territory of Mecklenburg. Poland and France had already resumed their wars against the Habsburgs, but Hektor was not confident the war would be worth the devastation. Regardless, he relunctantly entered the war, hoping to earn Hannover. Hektor died soon after in sorrow and fear. Leaving his son, Johann Georg to oversee a new war. Brandenburg still had, albeit weak, hopes of knowing peace.

Last edited:
IV Johann Georg der Friedekoenig

IV Johann Georg der Friedekoenig

eico033.jpg

Johann had been raised through the two devastating anti-imperial wars. He had fought in the second and his skill had been part of the reason for the final victory. However, he had been shocked by the terrible loss of life. Even the prize of the war, Silesia, had been ravaged. Thus, with his rise to power, he vowed to prepare for war so that his people may never again know it. He inherited the territorial aquisitions of his father, as well as a legacy of inflation, he intended to play a safe economy and devote his life to consolidation.

The task at hand, the war with Spain, had displeased him. However, the Spanish had been so weakened in recent years that the Pommeranians and Brandenburgers had scored easy victories. So easy that he convened the three main participants in the war to determine the fate of the aquired lands, it became known as the 'Little Congress' and was home to much debating and arguing for several weeks. The English navy had been instrumental in keeping the Spanish out (and continued to be, even during the Congress), they were opposed to a simple partition of the territory between Brandenburg and Pommerania. Brandenburg wanted somehow to link up Holstein to Brandenburg proper and knew that the Pommeranian claim on Lubeck was extremely weak. The English and Brandenburgers managed to force the Pommeranians into a compromise solution, there would be no partition. A new state would be created, ruled by relatives of the Hohenzollerns, the Hannovers. They would join the alliance and form marital ties with all parties involved. In theory, the land was to have a sort of triple rule, the English would be ensured of some influence in the Baltic, Brandenburg would have a friendly southern neighbor to Holstein as would Pommerania to the west. Johann was very pleased with this little piece of diplomacy. His father had tried the sword and he was determined to prove the pen was stronger.

Johann nonetheless proved similar to his father through a number of acts. First, he expelled the Duchy of Bavaria from the alliance and though a staunch Lutheran opposed to the rise of Calvinism, he permitted the admission of Calvinist refugees from the wars in the Spanish Netherlands and France. They formed a significant and vocal minority demanding equal recognition from the state. Were not both faiths united by their rejection of Popery? Johann gave concessions and allowed full recognition within the province of Magdeburg. The result was that Magdeburg's small population (decimated by the years of war) was overwhelmed by calvinists. Lutherans became a minority, although this had little concrete effect on Brandenburg, it forced Johann to reconsider his views. And perhaps take a softer line with the Calvinists in Holland and Anglicans in England.

Johann's reign was peaceful for the most part. Through subsidies, he convinced Friedriech, the ruler of Pommerania, to bind his dynasty to the Hohenzollerns. It became aknowledged that Pommerania would become Brandenburger when Friedriech's line would die out. By 1580, the French had expelled the Spagniards from France barring Lorraine, Venice had strengthened itself, becoming a regional power for the Austrian Habsburgs to reckon with. During Johann's reign, he became fearful of 'entangling alliances' as they were later called. When the alliance treaty expired in 1581, he restricted himself to an alliance with only German lutherans (thus leaving the English in the cold).

TheSWBorderoftheEmpire.jpg

The Southwest border of the Empire

In 1584, Johann waged the first war (and last) for which he was the cause. The Duchy of Cleves had proved too unruly for the Archbishop of Cologne to control. Soon, great mobs had taken over Dortmund and some peasant armies were rampaging through the eclesiastical lands. In guise of Liberation, Johann's forces easily overran the rebels. He claimed the Duchy of Cleves through the Franconian Hohenzollern line. He was not sure what to do with the Archbishopric. In the end, seeing that Austria (the only notable power that might object) was busy fighting Poland, he installed a protestant relative as Archbishop of Cologne (or puppet as he was referred to abroad).

Johann's reign was otherwise peaceful. The Brandenburger navy develloped itself quite beyond the will of the Elector-Duke. A merchant fleet had been turned into a rag-tag fleet by some enthusiastic burghers. There would come the inheritance of Pommerania in 1595 (as well as the Pommeranian fleet). Johann gradually lowered military expenses as war in north germany became a further distant memory. He also modernised the Brandenburger bureaucracy turning his realm into one of the most efficient states in Germany. Brandenburg would know other no changes under his reign.. The rest of the world shifted however. Poland reasserted itself against Austria and took Moravia. Meanwhile the Turks had annexed the Mameloukes and turned their greedy eyes towards the danubian basin. Perhaps most important was the expansion of the Venitian republic which had aquired large parts of the peninsula (not to mention Galicia and Opporto in Iberia). However, the Venitians would have to deal with Ottoman aggression and it was uncertain their Republic could hold.

VeniceinItaly.jpg

Venice in Italy

He would pass away quietly in his sleep in 1598. Rather ironic, he is remembered as the 'peace-King', even though he fought two wars, one of which was aggression. Of coure, these are by Brandenburger standards. He would be succeeded by his son, Joachim Friedrich.

Last edited:
Veerry nice. You've done very well! Hopefully your expulsion of Bavaria won't come back to bite you--they look pretty powerful. ;) I like the way you're using editing, too. Gives a pretty realistic feel to it. :) I look forward to more.

V The Joachims, Friedrich and Sigismund

V The Joachims, Friedrich and Sigismund

Friedrich had never known war. He only knew the glorious stories of his grandfather's victories in the Nine Year's and Karl's Wars. However, he was a prudent man, and did not assert himself immediately. His first years were spent continuing his father's work in fighting inflation and centralizing the administration of the scattered territories. His last work of peace was finished in 1605, much of the old Hohenzollern palace was rebuilt. Great halls were added with large collections of paintings glorifying Hektor and lutheran faith as well as enormous lush gardens with a great equine bronze statue of Joachim Hektor as its centerpiece. It was a veritable Versailles in north Germany. Then, Joachim Friedrich set about preparing his country for war.

Foreseeing wars with Denmark (who was allied with the Hansa), Russia (which claimed the Baltic Coast held by the Order) or Poland, Friedrich allied himself to the, frail but promising, Kingdom of Sweden. In 1607, Russia was in complete chaos. Astrakhan, mongol remnants and Novgorod had aquired what might be called carthaginian independance. Karl IX in Sweden declared war on Novgorod almost immediately following its recognition as an independant state. The Teutonic Order aided the Swedes in this walkover of a war. He would not see the end of it however, as he died rather suddenly in 1608, leaving his son Joachim Sigismund to rule.

Shortly after Sigismund was crowned Elector-Duke, the Swedes annexed Novgorod (and the territory of Karelia the city controlled). Conflict with Russia was now inevitable, Sigismund hoped to perhaps gain some territory for the Teutonic Order, but had mixed feelings about fighting for such a far away place ( the Russians were after all no friends of the Poles). Sigismund was just as enthusiastic as his father about war with the Poles however. Brandenburger and Polish interests had many conflicting points. The Poles wanted to secularize all lands of the Teutonic Order, the Elector-Duke was eager to connect Ducal Prussia to Brandenburg proper or to expell the Poles from Moravia. In short, they agreed on nothing except there was little agreement and much hostility. Some in both camps advocated alliance to squash the Habsburgs once and for all, but Sigismund would remain opposed throughout his reign.

War came, but not with Poland. Hannover declared its intent to annex all remaining lands of the Hansa. Danemark declared its intent to protect hanseatic independance. All of Hannover's allies answered the call (the Hansa was not so lucky, Portugal and Savoy abandoned it), the Swedes were particularily eager to expand themselves in Norway. The real surprise was England's reaction, it honoured its alliance and declared war on Hannover. Although none expected that weak peripheral nation to have any influence on the war, it was a strong moral blow to those who still believed in some sort of cooperation with England. Again, the war was a trivial affair with little Brandenburger intervention. The hanseatic lands around Bremen were annexed by Hannover, Sweden overran the Danes in Norway and German forces once again sacked Copenhagen. There was one novelty however, the Brandenburger navy, hitherto unused, shiped an army to the island of Gotland. Despite being poorly equiped and trained, the East Sea Fleet managed to scatter what remnants of the proud danish fleet defended the island. The result was the aquisition (at the protest of Sweden) of Gotland. It was claimed on the grounds that Brandenburg's territories had one thing in common : they were disconnected and had coasts on the Baltic, thus, Gotland was the ideal military base for shipping troops to the various territories. There was little the Swedes could do, and consoled themselves with vast strips of Norway. Sigismund promised to hand over Gotland to the Swedes once the territories were either connected or some other land took on the role of Gotland. In effect, Sigismund was implying he would hand it over when either Danemark proper or Danzig was his. The peace of this war would be named the First Partition of Denmark.

TheBalticafterthefirstpartitionofDanemark.jpg

The Baltic after the First Partition of Denmark

War with England would continue after this with no Brandenburger resolve to fight. The English were firmly entrenched in Holstein sporting brand-new muskets. Although Sigismund was very eager to find some sort of peace, it eluded him and he died in Hannover while on the way to negotiate in person. He left Brandenburg a mission to finish the work against Denmark and a legacy of cooperation with Sweden. In effect, he tipped the scales in the centuries old struggle for the Crown of the North. The Empire of Sweden was now firmly in place.