• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Leonello d'Este

First Lieutenant
Jun 25, 2021
The other night I started a new game, and to try to raise the difficulty level - sorry guys, but the game is boring in an almost frustrating way - I played in debug mode, giving some Muslim kingdoms in Spain and the North Africa of monetary advantages - I gave 60,000 gold to each - giving them claims on neighboring kingdoms and titles and making their rulers more intelligent, capable and ambitious.

And ... and nothing happened.

For decades of play, none of these characters have done anything, there has been hardly any territorial expansion, no religious warfare, nothing.

So, I have a question: can "artificially" advantage of NPCs or playing in debug mode hinder or "break" the game AI?

• 3Like
Reactions:
So you want to test if a ruler can start wars while being in a situation where they don't need it, basically?

Well, I can think of a few things to try:

For traits, make the ruler arbitrary, impatient, ambitious and zealous
As extras, you can also give them Irritable, Lunatic, Possessed, Adventurer, Heresiarch and anything that reduces opinion, like Murderer or Cannibal (if not virtuous).

For faith, make sure their faith is not pacifist (I know it's obvious)
Avoid Eastern faiths (too much tolerance there)
Fundamentalist doctrine helps (bad opinion)
The Human Sacrifice and Warmonger tenets give huge bonuses to war chance and cooldown

For culture, again, not pacifist (still obvious).
Ethos: Bellicose
Traditions: Malleable Invaders and Quarrelsome help a bit
NOT Isolationist (gives huge penalties to war chance and cooldown)
NOT Forbearing (huge penalties to war cooldown)
I'd avoid Xenophilic and Religion Blending too.

If they don't go to war even with all that, then yeah, I'd say there might be something broken...
Or maybe the ai should still realistically expand when given the chance to, as the mediveal era saw the rise and fall of numerous peoples prosperity

Reactions:
Or maybe the ai should still realistically expand when given the chance to, as the mediveal era saw the rise and fall of numerous peoples prosperity
When/where did I say otherwise?

That only when absolutely every possible condition is matched should ai expand
Read again. Seriously. From the beginning.

Literally not a single thing I said is a condition, it's all bonuses/maluses. None of it is an opinion either, it's all facts taken from the game. It was meant to be used as a guide to see what could possibly be blocking the AI from starting wars.
It sounds like you're talking about another post, honestly.

The mod called "Personality Tooltips" makes it delightfully clear how a character is likely to act, whether they are likely to honour agreements, how they treat prisoners etc.
I recommend you give it a try.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The mod called "Personality Tooltips" makes it delightfully clear how a character is likely to act, whether they are likely to honour agreements, how they treat prisoners etc.
yeh we still are working it to make it work perfectly, atm it only displayes the tooltip when the character has two personalities

• 1Like
Reactions:

It's exactly what I expected to find in game. Subscribed !

• 2Like
Reactions: