• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care where they put it, I just pray they continue to allow the devs the ability to promote and keep this work of love going. It is by far the most played computer game I have ever had...and I clocked many an hour on the Civilization series form the original bought on the floppy disks. Well, in hindsight EUII probably gets equal time...never quite liked the change to EUIII and haven't even given a thought to EUIV. Us old farts sometimes resist change...but not when it comes to DH!!!!!

Well, in hindsight EUII probably gets equal time...never quite liked the change to EUIII and haven't even given a thought to EUIV. Us old farts sometimes resist change...
It's good to see another EU2 loyalist. I like EU3 but never as much as EU2. I think I should reinstall it again some day, with WATKABAOI-AGCEEP mod to give a very fun time.

It's good to see another EU2 loyalist. I like EU3 but never as much as EU2. I think I should reinstall it again some day, with WATKABAOI-AGCEEP mod to give a very fun time.
Try For the Glory if you still haven't, Lord Finnish. It's a superb addition to EU2! By the way, it is going to have its own patch 1.3 (although it's still unknown when).

The Paradox Group on Xfire makes DH one of the most active:

sha.png

(If you go by the last 7 days)
(Btw CK2 was just added not long ago, thats why the total time is so small)

We need not worry DH will always be around for those who loved HoI2 but just could not get into HoI3 (plus DH has Kaiserreich so yeah ;))

I "got into" Hearts of Iron 3, or rather, I got into the concept of Hearts of Iron 3. I just didn't feel the need or desire to buy two expansions to make a game I had already bought finally work.

I also got the point of HoI3 but I didn't feel it was very fun. Brigade level combat is very fun in theory but in practice it's just too much micromanagement in pause mode to get any joy of it. You pause, push a gazillion buttons and then just watch as the AI does all the work.

No wonder it has so many hours in multiplayer, when it pretty much forces overly long games whereas division-level gaming of DH means games are rather short (a singleplayer campaign takes only a few hours for me).

I also got the point of HoI3 but I didn't feel it was very fun. Brigade level combat is very fun in theory but in practice it's just too much micromanagement in pause mode to get any joy of it. You pause, push a gazillion buttons and then just watch as the AI does all the work.

No wonder it has so many hours in multiplayer, when it pretty much forces overly long games whereas division-level gaming of DH means games are rather short (a singleplayer campaign takes only a few hours for me).

I though HoI3 was complete rubbish. I can't for the life of me understand why anybody would choose it over DH. DH is superior. Simple as that.

I'll put myself in the "couldn't get into HoI3" category, too. It has some design decisions that I just don't like. Sure, there are others that are really great and all, but why can't I have simple things as seeing who's in charge in a different country, like this is easiyl accessible via diplomatic screen in HoI2/DH? Why won't puppetet regimes change to the master's ideology, but rather stay what they were before? Why is there a hugely complicated, yet great in theory, HQ-system that if you put it in AI-mode is a complete mess, as the AI is unable to handle the ranges - and if you do it manually, you need micromanagement like crazy. And then, although everything is so complicated and different, the game is so easy that you completely smash the SU as Germany in your very first game, with your army in a complete range-mess and absolutely horrible organized... Nah. It just doesn't seem to be my game. I have all the updates up to For the Motherland and I'll surely get the newest one some day to try it out, but I just don't think I can ever truly switch as long as gems like DH are still so actively developed.

I agree with most of what has been said re: HOI3 but I actually liked the tech system (apart from the doctrine techs) and the fact that practical knowledge reduced build times. I liked the ability to customise your own divisions too. I think the inclusion of different political parties was cool in theory too but ultimately meaningless since it wasn't properly fleshed out in the game to actually do anything of note.

In most aspects DH is far superior though, especially in the combat system, which is less of a headache while being more challenging. I think the standout thing for me is that it's far better at giving you a chance to change history and make it feel like your conquests actually mean something, so there's variety in every new game that you play and it doesn't really get stale. HOI3 is like "Oh..yeah, so I win. Um, now what...well, I'll play something else now." In DH I can enjoy seeing the People's Republic of France painted on the map after a particularly successful SU game and this gives me a reason to push for alternate directions with each new game I play. Little things like this really make the difference between a great game and a merely decent one.

why can't I have simple things as seeing who's in charge in a different country, like this is easiyl accessible via diplomatic screen in HoI2/DH?

They added that in one of the expansions, of course catch is you have to pay for that...

Agree with everything else you said.

Last edited:
One thing I did really like in HoI3 over Darkest Hour was that I could press a button and I could match the IC needed for one slider.

For the record, I'm not involved in HOW our publisher handles games on the forum anymore.... But, a quick check shows that, Darkest Hour was 101st places amongst Paradox products last month in revenue, and 84th total in history.

If I would run a business, I would expect that such a title would be moved down when it gets over a year old, and there is no planned new revenue for the franchise.

For the record, I'm not involved in HOW our publisher handles games on the forum anymore.... But, a quick check shows that, Darkest Hour was 101st places amongst Paradox products last month in revenue, and 84th total in history.

If I would run a business, I would expect that such a title would be moved down when it gets over a year old, and there is no planned new revenue for the franchise.

But revenue = price * quantity, and profit = price*quantity - cost*quantity. Marginal Profit is likely close to price due to the fact that selling another copy of a software in general has near 0 MC (some server costs of course). Using revenue as the sole comparison for a game that sells for $10 or less ($2.5 at sales) compared to other games which sell for $50, 60 at launch (well, Paradox games usually go for around $30-40) is an unfair comparison, to say the least that you are ignoring high margins on each sale.

I won't dispute that you likely make more money from promoting a recent game though which sells for $30-60. Good business principle dictates that there is an opportunity cost to every action, no matter how profitable it may be, and you are probably making a good business decision.

Business aside, I don't know how much PI forums drive sales to be honest. Forumites, as was noted in some other threads before (I remember it was in one about Steam), do not make up a majority of purchases these days. I think PI forums provides a nice community where people who enjoy your games meet and provide "extra-value" for the consumer via mods and tech support while also helping the producer (you get feedback and free community support, although I think the consumer benefit from the forums may be higher). At the end of the day, I feel this is a more important factor and that active communities, even if old, should be given more of an equal footing versus not so active but newer games. Currently, I feel the forum unfairly creates the notion that "recent" games are active and new, while everything else is near the end of their product support line/"dead". I think part of the reason (I may be putting words into his mouth though) that others in the team were unhappy over the decision is due to this, as the notion that the game is "dead" and no longer going to be supported undervalues the continued time and dedication the team puts into new patches. Of course, this isn't the forum's fault. Realistic truths about how long a game is supported after release probably contributes more to this. There isn't a really good solution to it though.

The forums is already split into PDS and non-PDS games as it is. Imo, I liked the forums better before that split was made, but that's just my own two cents. Of course, you have more data and experience than me, so feel free to correct my purely theoretical and unsupported hypothesis, and/or opinions.

Last edited:
Darkest Hour is a mod from Hearts Of Iron 2 and Black Ice or I.C.E is a mod for Hearts Of Iron 3 which makes the game so much more fun.

It's pretty late here and my brain is almost totally fried, so forgive me, but I'm not sure what you think is better: Darkest Hour or Hearts of Iron 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.