DH 1.05.1 - Expeditionary forces ownership gets taken over by host country

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Celestial_Khagan

Sergeant
70 Badges
Jun 8, 2022
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Leviathan: Warships
DH Full 1.05.1

I just ran into this bug, where an HQ I sent to an ally as an expeditionary force, got upgraded to the next version of the unit, a unit/ tech that I did not have, and now it's permanently theirs. I can't get the unit back, it doesn't have my flag anymore. The general assigned is still mine, but if I click on the photo, the list of generals is now from the host country. Note I also have military control of the country I sent expeditionary forces to, I did this because only HQs under them can affect their units.

If this affects the AI too, then this can be a major problem. I'm playing China as part of the Allies against the Soviets, and all the allied countries sent huge number of expeditionary forces to France. If this bug occurs, France will basically steal all their units eventually.

I think this may be part of the problem where expeditionary forces are reinforced by the host country with their manpower, which isn't ideal IMO as well. Looks like expeditionary forces are also upgraded by the host country. IMO, ideally expeditionary forces should not be allowed to be reinforced or upgraded by the host country, if their strength gets too low, they should be released back to the origin country.

Reactions:
Upvote 0
Thank you for the report, but I cannot reproduce any of the reported issues (1.05.2):

1. Exp. force unit upgraded to level that home country doesn't have
2. Exp. force unit changes ownership to host country upon upgrade
3. Exp. force leader changing country upon upgrade
4. Exp. forces reinforce uses MP from host country
5. Exp. forces upgrade uses IC from host country

Having military control over the host country also doesn't seem to have any effect.

Can you please try to reproduce this again and provide a saved game or detailed steps to each of the problems?

Thank you for the report, but I cannot reproduce any of the reported issues (1.05.2):

1. Exp. force unit upgraded to level that home country doesn't have
2. Exp. force unit changes ownership to host country upon upgrade
3. Exp. force leader changing country upon upgrade
4. Exp. forces reinforce uses MP from host country
5. Exp. forces upgrade uses IC from host country

Having military control over the host country also doesn't seem to have any effect.

Can you please try to reproduce this again and provide a saved game or detailed steps to each of the problems?
Sorry I was mistaken. After digging into my old save files, it looks like ownership of the unit got taken over by the host country before it was upgraded, so the upgrade was not related. Unfortunately I don't know what was the exact point when the unit got taken over, I only first noticed a long time after the fact. I'll attach the earliest save file I found that I notice this. It'll be difficult for me to reproduce since I don't know when this happened and what triggered it either.

In the save file, I'm playing as Nationalist China, with military control of the British Raj. The problematic unit has the Corps name "Chinese Expeditionary HQ", it's a HQ 1943 unit "14th Route Army HQ", with a Nationalist China general Chen Jitang, but currently owned by the British Raj. It was originally my (Nat China) unit that I sent as expeditionary to the British Raj. The unit is located in Arlon, Belgium.

Attachments

• DH-savegame-China-1946-9-expeditionary-unit-lost.zip
    1,5 MB · Views: 0
From what I recall in that game:
I sent the HQ unit as expeditionary to the British Raj while it was in China, then strategic redeployed it to India. Then I transported the unit by ship to France and then moved it into the Western Front. I might have reloaded a save file in between, don't recall. Perhaps the unit lost its expeditionary status while in one of those states?