• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ambassador said:
No, in EU2 they were not.

In EU2, basically :
- if the embargoer is the CoT-owner, you don't get any money from the CoT
- if the embargoer isn't the CoT-owner, his own provinces don't count in the value of the CoT in what regards your income (but those provinces count for other countries that are not embargoed)
Well, that's a change from EU1; there, you'd get money from the CoT for any provinces not involved in the embargo. You just can't send any more merchants there.

-Pat

Ambassador said:
No, in EU2 they were not.

In EU2, basically :
- if the embargoer is the CoT-owner, you don't get any money from the CoT
- if the embargoer isn't the CoT-owner, his own provinces don't count in the value of the CoT in what regards your income (but those provinces count for other countries that are not embargoed)

Well, there are always things you discover after years of play in EU2 :p

Heh, heh, I noticed these heads representing diplomats, collonists etc. really look like petty criminals :) No insult meant ;)

Biges said:
Heh, heh, I noticed these heads representing diplomats, collonists etc. really look like petty criminals :) No insult meant ;)

Well, the British did use criminals to colonize Australia . . . ;)

I looked better on the first picture from this diary
eu3_nov_8a.jpg

and was impressed - the picture under a sent colonist button is an old map in Russian from the region very close to the place that the picture shows. It implies (at least for me), that for different uncolonized provincies there are different pictures featuring different maps.

This is just AAAWWWSOME!!! :D

GorSer said:
...the picture under a sent colonist button is an old map in Russian from the region very close to the place that the picture shows. It implies (at least for me), that for different uncolonized provincies there are different pictures featuring different maps.

Isn't it simply the northern Pacific Ocean? I agree that it shows some relation to the area to be colonized, which is indeed nice, but I wouldn't get excited at the level of 'Oh my God, they unearthed ancient maps of obscure provinces'.

Good stuff nonetheless.

Johan said:
You can also seize a colony immediately during a war, which makes it yours permanent directly without waiting for a peace negotiation.

This looks open to player exploits. In Vicky the AI was very poor at defending its overseas possessions. Exploit= DOW a nation send a single cavalry unit around the map to permanently claim a whole load of colonies then make a white peace.

I would think that seizing colonies directly will cost you more badboy than those colonies being "officially" handed to you. And perhaps the colony's population in comparison to your troop strength will play a roll in taking the colony over?

From what I have gathered its not as easy to recruit units as it was before. It takes a lot more time to do so. Therefore sending a lone cav unit to run off unsupported and "steal" all those colonies is a rather risky operation. You run into any force you cant handle and you may find your own colonies falling to the enemies colonial military forces.

It appears to me that military units are more valuable in the game so that the idea of creating a single 1,000 strength cavalry unit to run havoc on your enemy just isnt a valid strategy anymore.

the_kinkajou said:
Isn't it simply the northern Pacific Ocean? I agree that it shows some relation to the area to be colonized, which is indeed nice, but I wouldn't get excited at the level of 'Oh my God, they unearthed ancient maps of obscure provinces'.

Good stuff nonetheless.
It's very small part of nothern pacific - about the size of one sea area - meaning the size of islands that are colonized there, that construct that province, and since it's close, I supposed that it is a the map of the colonized region.

Something that made me think all of a sudden was peace treaties in conjunction with this. An interesting idea in EU2 was to overrun trade posts but not burn them, since they added a small amount to warscore. Once the AI made an acceptable peace offer, burn everything you don't get and accept. In HoI2, it was releasing vassals right before your opponents give you different land in a treaty. In EU3, if peace treaties didn't change, it could easily end up being seizing a bunch of colonies de facto right before accepting a peace offer that gives you the rest. Reduces the effect of taking the entire thing by force, and gives you more than the treaty alone. Well, it's an easy enough thing to avoid doing.

In EU2 people complained that the AI was unwilling to give up a single oversea colony in a peace treaty if you conquered it and held it for years, and the enemy had no way of taking it back, and you have no way to invade his homeland. This is now solved. Can`t have the cake and eat it too.

Of course the player has the option to take advantage of the situation. But much depends on the improvements of the AI. If the AI has advanced enough not to just take warscore and duration of the war into account but also the relative balance of military power, and will be more demanding if it sees more opportunities to up the warscore or take more colonies, then it is allright. It would be very ironic if the new AI has learned the same exploits that the posters above talk about, and uses them against these same posters.

I`m gonna wait until the game is actually released and hope that I`m pleasantly surprised :)

I'm not clear on whether "can also seize a colony immediately during a war" means you have the option (kind of like the option to burn a TP), or whether occupying it makes it yours, immediately (like turbo-annexation). If the former, you might not want to take it, as it presumably wouldn't count for your warscore, as it's no longer an enemy province which you control. So you might not want it, as you want some other province more.

Beyond that, there's always the BB cost. IMO, hoping the AI can handle it well, is wishful thinking. Not terribly would be enough to please me.

Little Bunka wants to see a new dev diary including missionaries and straits(if there will be any)