• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(40707)

Just call me Yoda in private!
Mar 1, 2005
Hello everybody, and welcome to our eighth development diary for ‘For the Glory’ (FTG).

Today, let’s talk about religions and technologies.

Religions
Religions are unlimited in FTG and there is no hard coded feature for them. Everything is in the database. We already saw religious leaders and special religious provinces on the map. Let’s see a religion in detail now.

Here is Catholic religion in “Age of Timur” scenario that starts in 1399:
Code:
 catholic = {
	group = christian
	subgroup = catholic
	color = DarkGray
	allowed_conversion = {
		counterreform
		protestant
		reformed
		avignon_catholic
	}
	income_bonus = {
		protestant
		reformed
	}
	war = {
		protestant
		reformed
		avignon_catholic
	}
	aggressiveness = {
		pagan
	}
	conflict = {
		sunni
		shiite
	}
	heretic = {
		protestant
		reformed
		avignon_catholic
	}
	papacy = yes
	predominance = yes
	annex_same_penalty = yes
	tech_speed = -1.00
	stability_bonus = 6.00
	stability_cost = 50.00
	colonists = 2.00
	diplomats = 2.00
	missionaries = 1.00
	missionary_placement_chance = 0.30
	missionary_sprite = 1
	slaves_effect = 1.00
}
The Catholic religion is part of the Christian group and default for subgroup where Avignon the Catholic and Counter-Reform Catholic religions are. You can see allowed conversions, bonus to income when changing religion as well as countries that the AI will try to go to war with if their State religion is in the war list. The nations in the conflict-list will suffer deteriorating relations over time.

Heretic is for the religious revolt and conversion commands in the script engine. There is also an effect for religious leaders, a religious leader will never be able to convert to heretic religions.

Papacy is important for the Treaty of Tordesillas rules. Predominance implies religious revolt risk will be higher for this religion. As you can see, a religion has many other attributes.

Of course the religious situation can change over time. This happens via religious events (and a “flag” variable).
Flags define allowed religions for in-game conversion purposes, permanent casus belli between religions, religious restrictions (royal marriage, diplo-annexation), religious enemies at this time (added effect to conflict) and tolerance together with which sliders are sliders and their corresponding default values.

For example, in the same “Age of Timur” scenario, the Council of Constance in July 1415 will end Avignon Catholic as an allowed religion.

Here is the religious situation in Europe at start of the “Age of Timur” scenario and corresponding Religion Information window with tolerance sliders:

greatschism.png

There is another little thing about religious leaders. In the following screenshot, Aragon as Avignon Catholic is allied to Sicily and at war with Papacy. I’m afraid there is something that will just be impossible for the peace proposal...

religiousleader.png

In the 1617 scenario, here is the religious situation in the Holy Roman Empire and Austria trying to convert Silesia:

hre1617.png

It seems Austria really has the choice for possible conversion.

Just in case you were curious, the red question mark in the information window is for the already happened events related to religions:

religiousevents.png

The rest of the world has not been forgotten for religions. Here are the symbols of all religions in the standard scenarios of the game:

religions.png

Just guess...

Technologies
Each technology level in the game for land, naval, trade and infrastructure is an important step. Some technology levels add specific effects. For example, here is the definition of land tech 18 in the database:
Code:
 technology = {
	id = 18
	average_years = 181 #1600
	infantry_fire = 90
	cavalry_fire = 0
	artillery_fire = 12500
	infantry_shock = 100
	cavalry_shock = 400
	artillery_shock = 1750
	land_attrition = 1.00
	land_morale = 3.75
	sprite_level = 1
	era = 3
	#Effects
	weapons = yes
	#Improved CRT
}
A new era means an improved Combat Resolution Table (land units will be more efficient in combat) and Weapons manufactories are now available.

This tech level should be reached around 1600 with a start in 1419. Nevertheless, because the time frame of the game can now be extended, there is no fixed year and average_years is an offset. For the same reason, possible number of techs is now unlimited and all effects can be assigned to desired tech level.

All countries use the same tech tree and several factors including religion and tech group have influence on the tech research speed.

technologies.png

Ottoman Empire in AGCEEP at war with Venice in 1648 and focusing on land and infrastructure

wow impressive!!!!!!

These maps give me warm fuzzy feelings in memory of times long gone. The times of EU2 was great. I'm not sure I can manage to get back from EU3 though, so much is different in these two games that I fear I will get lost...:)

Very, very, very, very nice!!! :cool:

What does Avignon Catholic represent? What do the eagles mean? Nice new sprites! Galleys, European soldiers, new religious icons... :eek:

Praise the FTG team! :D

Btw, see difference for red borders between first screenshot and the one for 1617. :)

One can have national borders on the religious map?

EDIT: Or is it that you added Artois and Flanders to the HRE?

These maps give me warm fuzzy feelings in memory of times long gone. The times of EU2 was great. I'm not sure I can manage to get back from EU3 though, so much is different in these two games that I fear I will get lost...:)

For $20 (I think), I think I can manage to revisit EU2 a few times :D

I love those venitian galleasses. :eek:

And the religious system seems really great as well :)

Cool! :D

Very nice DD.
The new features will add a lof of depth to the game.

Another excellent dev. diary. Just curious, though: screenshot 2, does Genova have specific sprites, or are those soldiers some sort of crusaders (asking that because all other countries - at least in the region - seem to share the same sprite...)?

Wich religion is the Cup?

Should be easy to find out if you look where it's showing up ;)

edit: arr, too late