• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Could you please explain this a bit? What are now the rules and criterias?

I second that motion

loving the improvements and changes so far.

:)

Could you please explain this a bit? What are now the rules and criterias?
A province will never defect to any country if rebels control all of its border.

Computation for defect score of a province to another country:

Null score:
1. won't defect to country at war with current owner
2. can't defect to country that does not know of owner
3. non-pagans won't defect to pagan owners (i.e. paganism is a religion with defect penalty)

If not in above cases:
1. start with a little random...
2. Give some preference (or distaste) based on stability
3. Prefer other countries if they match our culture, strongly for primary culture, weakly for others.
4. Prefer other countries if their state religion matches, with bonus to DotF. If religion is wrong, give slight preference based on their tolerance of our religion
5. Check "nations" as defined by revolt.txt, and prefer to defect to own nation

=> score for each possible country

Country with the highest score will get the province but province won't always defect, especially if this score is really low.

3. Prefer other countries if they match our culture, strongly for primary culture, weakly for others.
4. Prefer other countries if their state religion matches, with bonus to DotF. If religion is wrong, give slight preference based on their tolerance of our religion
5. Check "nations" as defined by revolt.txt, and prefer to defect to own nation
This sound really great. Btw, what about colonial provinces in this case?

So Tordesillas is just for Spain and Portugal?
No other possibilities would the situation be different?
No, read dev diary again:
There is no change to ToT rules but the model can be extended to any country tag now and not only Spain or Portugal (that can even be removed or tweaked in the devoted part of the database).

I like the notifiers. I ALWAYS forget stuff like loans and domestic policies :eek:o

If one of the provinces is under winter conditions, movement between the two provinces is forbidden and a little red cross appears on the map.
This makes fighting during winter a lot harder.

Last edited:
The fact that they could cross stora bält had a lot to do with the winters of that part of the 17th century though (the period is refered to as the little ice age for a reason), it wouldn't be possible in the 1400 - 1500's. Possibly if the winter is very harsch the crossing penalty (and the possibility to block the crossing with ships) could be removed? But that does mean that you'd have to keep track of climate changes during the period a lot more closely.
As the time when this kind of crossing would be possible (and even then quite risky, while most of the army could march on the ice, some of it did go through it) is so short though, perhaps it's just a little to specific a change for a game stretching such a long period?

I think that's going a bit too far, but I think it would be a nice thing to add in for arctic regions, if not in vanilla FtG then at least as something you could modify. A possible special connection value for provinces, which would give a connection under certain, moddable circumstances. Would be fun for modders focused on, for instance, areas with cold winters (both straits and passes here), as well as for any kind of fantasy mod (teleportion or whatever). In my opinion, everything that increases modability is a selling point for FtG and should be a good investment for the developers to add in.

Would it be possible to have one rebel "hidden country" per continent? It wouldn't solve the problem, but would greatly alleviate it.

Rebel tags per Culture group would be more practical. That way we'd have Latin countries fighting Latin rebels, Muslim countries fighting Muslim rebels, and so on, and not the case of (5) Land Tech Congo fighting (72) Land Tech Rebels.

When ships are sinking at sea because of naval attrition
How exactly will this work? A notifier any time that naval attrition is happening or only when at least one ship reaches say 10% strength?
A very useful feature that even EU3 is still lacking.

in regards to leaders,

privateers/corsairs (as a med. term) .........do they appear at any time or based on historical dates.

As far as I read , in the med. FRA, VEN, GEN, TUR, KNI etc etc always used corsairs through out their history to gain revenue for the state, basically a secret war on another state, be it ally or enemy.

Will these privateers appear only in peace times or ???

Conversion ideas

Conversion and colonization chances are computed at the end of the process, not at start (things can change with time)

This is in my opinion the worst idea I've seen on FTG. This is mainly because conversion and religion is so badly modeled in EU2. To see this we can just take an example.

You have a high ADM on monarch, attempts an conversion, but the last month you get a lousy monarch. Is it reasonably that his 1 month of reign should influence the outcome of something that has been going on for, i.e. 86 months.

I think that the conversion and religious aspects of the game should be completely reworked. Instead of missionaries we should be able to build a missionary station or a church/temple/mosque/shamans tent, that steadily and slowly convert people, this with upkeep of course. There should/could be a bar that indicates witch religious views that exist in a province, and that also shows approximately, how many follows witch religion. The monarch’s adm skill and the size of the fortress should have nothing to do with how easy/difficult it is to convert. What could make the difference is how many people that needs to be converted, how much money you invest, like the bar on navy and army, how far from the state religion the most influential religion in the province is. I.e. that converting Shiite to protestant is more difficult than converting Protestants to reformed Protestants.

I dreaming of a tooltip that says

Building a level 2 church with upkeep 0.08 pr/month will make reformed
this province most influential religion in 5 years.

or maybe

"Will you upgrade this level 6 church to a cathedral, conversion rate will go up
by +5%"

Then at last you get the message

"State religion in province xx is most influential, churches now pay for themselves, upkeep no longer needed/upkeep cut to 10%"

And then you have the penalties for not having the state religion. It should be: "state rel. in this province is the second most influential: tax pen = 15%"

This is the idea that tax penalty should be modeled after how "big" the state religion is in the given province.

Another idea I have about possible changes is that missionaries work by converting people by numbers and not by chance. What I mean about that is that you have to assign a missionary to a province for 10 years because this province has a large population.

Tooltip to show the idea: "This missionary will convert 100 people per month; conversion will take 105 months, upkeep for missionary 0.80 per month. This of course can be influenced by stability, how far from the stat rel. the current rel. is, and so on.

This need to be balanced of course. On a side note I was also thinking that there could be a possibility of a bloody conversion.

tooltip

"This bloody conversion will half the tax value for 8 years and give a -20 % rise in population for ten years. 5000 infantry are needed, revolt risk +10%"

You click and 5000 infantry disappear, tax value is cut by 50 %, -20% in population and revolt risk go up by 10 % for 8 years.

I think that much can be done with the current system to make it more than an all or nothing process. Or at least make it more than the boring system it now is.

Last edited:
I disagree with the above since that would render conversions certain provided a missionary station and time. If we went historical, I'd make the whole conversion thing apply only for pagans. I cannot think of an example where non-pagan populations were actually converted. Conversions in the sense that province switched from one religion to another all seem to have involved displacement of people.

Also I don't like the idea about force conversion making 5000 inf vanish - if you ride into a province with 5000 troops to force-convert everyone by the word and *your guys* disappear in the process you made a mistake, it seems ;)