• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Doomdark

Chief Creative Officer
Paradox Staff
61 Badges
Apr 3, 2000
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • War of the Roses
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
Hi folks!

We interrupt the regular program for this short broadcast from the Game Director. That is, me. I was planning to talk about something completely different (and admittedly of more substance), but we decided to hold on off on that for a bit. Instead, bear with me as I wax slightly philosophical and delve into the twin personalities of Crusader Kings. Now, that might sound like a diagnosis of mental illness, but it’s actually a beautiful thing that makes the game unique. I often think of Crusader Kings as a potted plant. The pot is the strategy game and the plant is the role-playing aspects, and every time you play the game, the plant grows differently, pruned by player actions… like a Bonsai Tree.

JL_c62lb3ZffWiQpplKZDqHRINaEmppfvStc5MT6bcI5Lrm7EMVFX6NsuQGJA-z_98OKKoDPvAuLnge9dwQbRYeGbzVk7U6HH-KOasdYjtEo-HlvYn08zcoS6mqydM5VGyHXXX6V

The pot and the soil cannot be neglected, for the roots of the plant - the “story engine” - need to be contained and nurtured by sound rules and balanced mechanics. Strategy games provide fertile soil indeed for captivating drama through their most defining features; freedom of action and conflict. Engaging conflict among a multitude of players and AI actors is really the key to the success of Crusader Kings II, for it causes such amusing stories to emerge and grow.

It should come as no surprise, though, that hybrid games like this tend to attract two rather different kinds of players; those who seek domination through mental acuity and those who are mostly in it for the ride (and everything in between, of course.) This poses an interesting challenge for us, the developers, because we have to expand on the game in ways that will suit both types. As you know, we have wavered back and forth between almost pure RPG expansions like Way of Life and strategic expansions, like Conclave, but we can never seem to please everyone (which is, of course, why we love mods and modders so much!)

Is there a point to all this? Not really, but perhaps you can guess what kind the next expansion will be…

That’s all for now! There should be some actual revelations next time, so stay tuned. :)

Reactions:
This is cause this is the closest Tuesday to 1st April isn't it?

Reactions:
This is a really nice dev diary, and from it I'm guessing the next expansion to be the 'story' expansions giving us more story elements and such.

Reactions:
Wait we were promised info on the patch because no diary last week... who do we need to support in a abdication faction to get some information!

Reactions:
You managed to tell us literally nothing but still made me really want to know what the next dlc is gonna be lol

Reactions:
A First Person RPG expansion?

Reactions:
You managed to tell us literally nothing but still made me really want to know what the next dlc is gonna be lol

They want to please RP fans and fans of strategy. He mentions that Conclave was designed with strategic elements in mind, so next expansion will please RP fans. That's my guess. Disease/physician addition foes that way. Or maybe they'll blend some more strategy-oriented features to keep a balance? :p

… like a Bonsai Tree.

Hey, isn't that you have to make the Bonsai suffer to actually keep it tiny and cute? :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions:
So, a balance between role-play and new mechanics...
Something like Sons of Abraham?

Reactions:
Cadet branches...

Reactions:
Hey, isn't that you have to make the Bonsai suffer to actually keep it tiny and cute?

Does that mean they will cut something out of CK2 in order to make place to something new? Still no clue what it could be.

Reactions: