• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

Doomdark

Chief Creative Officer
Paradox Staff
61 Badges
Apr 3, 2000
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • War of the Roses
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
Hi folks!

We interrupt the regular program for this short broadcast from the Game Director. That is, me. I was planning to talk about something completely different (and admittedly of more substance), but we decided to hold on off on that for a bit. Instead, bear with me as I wax slightly philosophical and delve into the twin personalities of Crusader Kings. Now, that might sound like a diagnosis of mental illness, but it’s actually a beautiful thing that makes the game unique. I often think of Crusader Kings as a potted plant. The pot is the strategy game and the plant is the role-playing aspects, and every time you play the game, the plant grows differently, pruned by player actions… like a Bonsai Tree.

JL_c62lb3ZffWiQpplKZDqHRINaEmppfvStc5MT6bcI5Lrm7EMVFX6NsuQGJA-z_98OKKoDPvAuLnge9dwQbRYeGbzVk7U6HH-KOasdYjtEo-HlvYn08zcoS6mqydM5VGyHXXX6V

The pot and the soil cannot be neglected, for the roots of the plant - the “story engine” - need to be contained and nurtured by sound rules and balanced mechanics. Strategy games provide fertile soil indeed for captivating drama through their most defining features; freedom of action and conflict. Engaging conflict among a multitude of players and AI actors is really the key to the success of Crusader Kings II, for it causes such amusing stories to emerge and grow.

It should come as no surprise, though, that hybrid games like this tend to attract two rather different kinds of players; those who seek domination through mental acuity and those who are mostly in it for the ride (and everything in between, of course.) This poses an interesting challenge for us, the developers, because we have to expand on the game in ways that will suit both types. As you know, we have wavered back and forth between almost pure RPG expansions like Way of Life and strategic expansions, like Conclave, but we can never seem to please everyone (which is, of course, why we love mods and modders so much!)

Is there a point to all this? Not really, but perhaps you can guess what kind the next expansion will be…

That’s all for now! There should be some actual revelations next time, so stay tuned. :)

Reactions:
You managed to tell us literally nothing but still made me really want to know what the next dlc is gonna be lol

Reactions:
Last edited:
Reactions:
We're still owed the promised stats DD.

If our stats team ever gets back to me with them I will make it. Sadly we missed our window when the dude was sick and they have some big important thing to do now :(

I believe that's exactly what Darkrenown is trying to get at with the bonsai tree analogy and his mentioning of previous DLCs only being focused on either strategy or roleplay.

The key fact to remember is Doomdark =! Darkrenown. I covered this is my first CK DD! :)

Reactions:
I think you guys may be reading too much into this DD :)

In the spirit of expectation management I'll state the following:
- Maybe someone will get angry with me for saying this, but I've been saying it for a while: Map expansions are not in our planning, so don't get your hopes up for a Japan/China.
- Development has not stopped. We are however unable to discuss much details at this point. We want to try and put out something every week as we feel the DD's serve as a nice connection to our players. But if you guys prefer, maybe we should just go quiet until we have something of more substance to give you?

If you rather have nothing than more random stuff like this, let us know.

Reactions:
I can assure you that the type of Dev Diaries you most want will be back soon enough :) But please keep in mind it's a 4 year old game. It's hard to produce long dev diaries with huge revelations every week, but we still want to share something.

Reactions:
This post exemplifies everything rotten in CK2 development. I had hopes that the team has not gone through the rabbit hole of self-defeatism and self-fulfillment but I see I am wrong in having that hope.

Wow... I had no idea my post exemplified all that? Quite the accomplishment if it did imo :) I just wanted to make sure that people didn't think this was a hint at a Japan/China expansion, since it's not.

And the other point was a simple question whether or not you guys would prefer no DD until we feel ready to actually present new features.

Best Regards

Reactions:
This post exemplifies everything rotten in CK2 development. I had hopes that the team has not gone through the rabbit hole of self-defeatism and self-fulfillment but I see I am wrong in having that hope.

"In the spirit of expectation management" indicates to me a team sticking its fingers in their collective ears to avoid hearing what exists outside of their preconceived plan.

Admitting that map expansions are not in any planning shows me that the original vision is no longer being followed. I, like the majority of informed Paradox consumers have given this "hope" up a bit ago; once the Luddites starting to win the argument as to why they should not advance with the times, the dream of the original vision was dead.

Declaring the attitude that the DD weekly is a favor and one that is pf dubious value is a prime example of how the Community Managers of Paradox are blinded by the crazes of the Social Media generation and as they continue to try to emulate EA in their pursuit of the "trendy edge" more and more they lose touch with the people that made Paradox in the first place.

By declaring: "But if you guys prefer, maybe we should just go quiet until we have something of more substance to give you" the Paradox team is admitting they never bought into the weekly DD idea in the first place and they do not understand the tool that they would have. The inevitable end will be an abandonment of the DD with a collective hurt cry of: "Leave the Paradox team developer alone guys!" So, yes; abandonment sooner is better than later - from an "expectations management" perspective and from the perspective of me which is: cut one more tie I have with the company so that I may leave it for good.

The micro-management boondoggles that have been released recently combined with a glimpse (illnesses?! and key punching events) showing that future content to be developed is nothing but more of the tedious route click-fulfillment "management simulation of psuedo-rpg elements" means most likely that my interest in CK2 will wane further and further.

Events and "story-line" content has proven over and over to be the Achilles-heel of Paradox. Content that has awesome potential such as the Charlemagne dynasty system is introduced bare-boned, and never expanded upon. Worse, there is a few weeks of half-hearted balancing done and then this content is often neglected in any future dlc.

Events and route system scripts are wonderful the first few times experiencing them but they grow old, tired and become ineffective at providing the benefits their champions desire. So you end up with a continuous need to write new events to sate the boredom that old events evoke. It is worse then a treadmill's belt in recycling a jolt of interest interjected in long stretches of boredom.

Then we get to the seduction-orgy problem of the quality of life content dlc; they excite the community with stories of incense and debauchery but in attempt to avoid the reoccurring boredom issue the hook of these dlc content devises is overdone.

WoL types of dlc seem to be the future for CK2 and as such, the future is quite dim to me.

A fine April fool's post, or a decent into madness?

Reactions:
Just once... just once I wish we had a dev diary where people in the comments were not salty about one thing or another

Reactions:
Reactions: