Development Diary #26 - 1.02 Patch Development

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I would love too see a serious change in the leader & tech teams. It would be more practical & realistic if generals from any of the military branches ie, Army, Navy or Airforce that are on the tech team list should not be allowed to command any units while they are currently working on any reasearch project. Which namely would be military doctrines for their prespective branches.

For instance Guderian should not be allowed to reaserch blitzkrieg doctrine while simultaneously commanding a panzerkorps. Vice versa as well. If one has Guderian commanding a pazerkorps and you want to go to the tech tree and reaserch blitzkrieg doctrine with him one should have to replace him in the feild before you could be allowed to select him for a research project.

I feel this would make the game even more realistic. The way I see it, it dosent make much sense if one has a commander leading an attack in the field while he is simulatenously working on a research project back in the capital city.

This would give the game more depth and make the researching of doctrines by generals more realistic. One would have to plan their military research of new doctrines and selecting of feild commanders more carefully.

As with this game once a new military doctrine has been researched then that general can be put in command of a field unit and test out the new doctrine with a war game.

Thx love the new inovations for this next patch. If this could be apart of it, great!

Is the dh team planing on relesing all the old scenarios from hoi2 and then relesing new dh only scenarios after?

Old (Aramgeddon, Doomsday etc.) campaigns and scenarios are still available in Darkest Hour and can be played in Darkest Hour Light.
We have no plans to port these to Darkest Hour Full, but we have plans to add our own scenarios and campaigns.

Old (Aramgeddon, Doomsday etc.) campaigns and scenarios are still available in Darkest Hour and can be played in Darkest Hour Light.
We have no plans to port these to Darkest Hour Full, but we have plans to add our own scenarios and campaigns.

Good news!

Is there any plan to start the WWI scenario any sooner, like maybe January 1914?

There is a 1914 Mod that actually allows the player to start as early as the 1890s. I haven't played it yet, but I did install it and it looks impressive. I think the developer has stopped working on it though for the time-being and waiting on the next patch. One downside however; it uses the old map.

I feel this would make the game even more realistic. The way I see it, it dosent make much sense if one has a commander leading an attack in the field while he is simulatenously working on a research project back in the capital city.

I think that actually makes much less sense. It's not like Guderian has to go back to a laboratory or research center in Berlin to work on battle tactics. If anything he will develop better strategies on the battlefront.

I think that actually makes much less sense. It's not like Guderian has to go back to a laboratory or research center in Berlin to work on battle tactics. If anything he will develop better strategies on the battlefront.

The way I see it is this. Take the 1939 scenerio from IC, I've had a situation before where I had exactly wt I described before. Guderian was leading the attack against Poland while he was finishing up the Blitzkrieg Doc at the same time. To me that's just not realistic. When generals are developing new battlefield tactics they like to be able to sit down and work out all of the elements of it before they implement it on the battlefield for real.

It's like playing football, a quaterback is not going to be developing a new play while in the middle of a game. All of the plays, ie tactics, that he & his team are going to use have already been thought out & tested several times over before the game. That way when they try that new play they are going to be fully ready & confidient in what they are trying to do.

It's not like the quaterback is going to be in the middle of a game and say to his team, well I was working on this play last week and I didn't finish working out the details of it but, let's try it anyway.

Same goes for generals planning a campaing. When a general plans a new campaing properly then he is going to battle with whatever current doctrine's have been researched. Not implementing something half assed researched in the middle of a battle. Especially if his Army is the one launching the offensive.

It's probably more like Guderian planned a theory beforehand, and tested it in the field.

Actually Guderian came up with the Bilitzkrieg concept in the late twenties/early thirties and tested the theory in simulated war games with cardboad tanks. From these trials he refined his theory. During the proxy war in spain the blitzkrieg Doctrine was first tested out in real battle. Then after reviewing the results in Spain he wote the book on it, "Achtung Panzer" est 1937.

So, going back to my original statement, I feel that generals on any tech team list should not be allowed to command any units while working on new military doctrines. Once that general has completed their reasearch and testing of these new doctrines then and only then should they be allowed to command units in the field. This should go for any branch of the military Army, Navy or Airforce.

Thank you for the second beta, College is a pain right now.

Can someone document changes (specifically line numbers) in misc.txt/policy_effects/whatever else is needed to be changed in one place for mod conversion? I had to go through it line by line to convert mods.

Custom Upgrade Paths is a godsend. I can finally represent the buildup/reactivation of the IJA properly in CCIP by adding Garrisons to their starting OOB and adding a custom CHC division representing partisans that upgrades into Infantry cheaply, etc.

Is there an command for telling the ai what type of upgrade path they should take their units? Say, if I gave Japan 3rd IJA Army as Garrisons, would I be able to specify to the ai to upgrade them into Infantry while ignoring those garrisoning the pacific? Otherwise, I guess I'll just create a duplicate model of the garrison year that hardupgrades into Infantry.

Last edited:
Can someone document changes (specifically line numbers) in misc.txt/policy_effects/whatever else is needed to be changed in one place for mod conversion? I had to go through it line by line to convert mods.

The safest and fastest way to do such thing is to use WinMerge or similar product.

Is there an command for telling the ai what type of upgrade path they should take their units?

AI follows only units' default upgrade path.
There are plans to add more options in future releases (like telling AI which unit/brigade types to upgrade and which to skip).

Iwould REALLY like to see the oldschool election events back. It may even be optional to change in some .txt file. I just hate not being able to choose the path I want to take, and selecting the ruling cabinet is rather iportant thing, not only considering the pure in-game consequences, but alto the role-play aspect.
Right now you can't choose, though there still is a chance that for example Landon will become the US President. If it's possible, theny why the hell player should have to save-reload to get him? Just bring back the possibility to choose, PLEASE! Recently I realised that I'm not picking USA/UK/France as a nation to play only because I won't be able to pick the ruling cabinet...