• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sounds nice. I especially liked the bit about colonising. At last we have a way to simulate colonial border conflicts, without having to turn every argument over which side of the border some small African village belongs to, into a full scale world war.

Does "national focus" on railway mean we will be unable to buid railroads directly??? Even in planned economy???

I would assume the railroad national focus in a state makes capitalists prefer that state for railroad building (under a non-planned economy government system), so you have some influence on the matter even under laissez-faire. Same goes for what the various goods production foci do (although I guess they might also boost production?).

It also looks like the right-most mapmode has indeed been revealed to be national foci, like someone already stated. I wonder how the layering of the mapmodes works, as here it's just terrain with state&province borders, but there's been at least a political+terrain mapmode as well.

P.S. It seems there's a new explosion icon for MIL. And look at that deficit :p

edit: checked the previous DDs' screenshots, and a flag icon with 0/1 (in 1836... and the 0/1 is usually, Sweden had 1/1 in DD # 17) only appeared in the national focus spot in DD #14. In the Easter DD, the USA had 0/2 in 1910, so it seems you really don't get that many of said focus points (then again, they are statewide...). In the current alpha, GB seems to be the only one with more than one national focus point in 1836.

Last edited:
1.) Will V2 retain the "losing a national focus hurts" mechanic/concept in HTTT?

2.) Is the 1/2 pertaining to how many NF's you have applied, or how many you can apply? I want to know how many are available to be moved, more than how many I have applied.

3.) Will placing an NF in a non-colonial border province/state trigger negative modifiers or possible skirmishes?

4.) Will authoritarian governments get more national foci, at the expense of their population having less ability to fulfill the goal?

I too believe many historical strategy games have too much direct control, which seems especially inappropriate in liberal-capitalistic and democratic nations. So I welcome it. And it is good that you also see the problem of too little control on the other hand.

However I am a little bit skeptical whether the exact number of focuses nations will have will be appropriate. It would be a shame if for example large empires never have enough whereas little nations can have too many at the same time (balancing).

And does this mean even the Soviet Union – if it comes into being – will have focuses instead of a planned economy?

However I am a little bit skeptical whether the exact number of focuses nations will have will be appropriate. It would be a shame if large empires never have enough whereas little nations can have too many at the same time.

Even large nations have a limit to how many things they can prioritize at once. That's the disadvantage of being large.

Even large nations have a limit to how many things they can prioritize at once. That's the disadvantage of being large.

Then I hope Great Britain will not be a permanently overstretched country that must always decide if it neglects colonization or issues at home. In reality they were good in developing both.

I like the looks of this. It will be nice to have Chicago and St. Louis become real population centers.

Multiple focii is a particularly nice touch.

It's not the best way migration & colonization are solved but it's a step forward to indirect PoP control.

I hope it's a 'gamey' solution :)

BTW: Can province names be changed ingame like in EU 3 where you could name your colony 'Johan-Andersson-Land'? Was a little but cool feature :D

Any improvement in the migration and immigration system of pops aspect to the game receives a thumbs up from me.

However, I will echo the statements already made that believe it is not the correct solution to this issue.

Last edited:
Does "national focus" on railway mean we will be unable to buid railroads directly??? Even in planned economy???

No, a planned economy still build railways themselves. What it means is that more liberal governments can encourage railway construction in certain places. If you take the example of the USA, where the government offered up insentives to encourage the construction of a transcontinental railway.

How often can these foci be changed / moved? It's not every 25 years again is it? But I do like the idea, encourage the steel industry in Pennsylvania, the Fabric / clothes in another place, timber / furniture elsewhere.

Can we place more than one focus in a state, such as adding both clerks and craftsmen in a state with factories?

Do we still have life sustainability and range from a port for colonization? I like the mechanic that you have to choose between the home front and colonization.

I'd have to see how immigration in handled to comment on promote immigration, but I hope it doesn't all go to just one place. I'd also have to see how the railroad build logic is handled to guesstimate how useful "build railroads here" will be. In Vicky I never had any problems covering the US with railroads. I'm guessing it will impact invention spread as well as actual construction.

It won't be 25 years. At the moment they can be changed at any time. However, since the effects are long range it means that constantly flipping national focus won't be too benficial. Still the exact time will be determined by balance testing.

Are their nation specific national focus, ie the US manifest destiny or are all such options available to every state?

There are no country speicfic national focus. The USA wanting people to move to the interior of the country is to us the same as a colonial power enoucraging settlement in one of their colonies.

These colonial skirmishes - is there some sort of cap on their scale? If I as France am confident there is no major war on the horizon, what (beyond attrition) stops me loading fifty divisions up and parking them in the Sudan?

Awesome diary, btw.

Attrition. plus what if you are wrong about the major war guess?

Then I hope Great Britain will not be a permanently overstretched country that must always decide if it neglects colonization or issues at home. In reality they were good in developing both.

Since it works on National POPs not total POPs, the UK has fewer potential national focuses than say a France or a Germany.

Hey, we found out what that icon is at last :D
oh and the UK is producing a hella lot of dye, I take it this means they still directly control British India.

Last edited:
Since it works on National POPs not total POPs, the UK has fewer potential national focuses than say a France or a Germany.

Is it directly proportionate to national POP numbers, or the relative amount of national POPs vs non-national?

In other words- say you have Austria with S German and Hungarian as national POPs but then Hungary breaks off and forms its own nation. Will the number of national focus points remain the same as total POP numbers didn't change much or increase because relative numbers of non-nationals might have decreased for the now smaller Austria?

This also matters for population growth if points increase over time or as conquests are added.

Would be nice to see some national focus on developing cultural identity to speed assimilation or an improve literacy focus.

What happens if they too send troops? In this situation countries who are both claiming a colony can fight each other inside the state. This allows Fashoda style skirmishes without needing the whole messy colonial war mechanic. Now you can skirmish with allies and friends for colonies without having to burn all your bridges and go fight a war.

LOVE IT:D. Colonial wars were really stupid in Vic1.

May I suggest national foci for assimilation and integration?