• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Let’s start with a quick recap of information in previous developer diaries. Each country generates a value known as leadership. This via a slider system is allocated into 4 areas, one of which is espionage. When you have assigned enough leadership to espionage a spy point is generated that can then be used to spy on people.

Next let’s move onto what we were thinking when we started to design this system. Espionage was first added in Hearts of Iron 2 Doomsday, and it was a rather nice addition to the game. However it didn’t mean we felt we couldn’t improve on it. We aimed to improve in three ways. These are interaction, interface, and consistency.

We have worked hard to make the espionage system simple to use. Instead of manually clicking every time you wish to send a spy you simply set priorities and spies are sent our if available. You can then tweak these as required; the system is very similar to the autosending of merchants in Napoleon’s Ambition (if you are familiar with that game). We also feel that this system is more realistic, leaders of countries didn’t manually manage their intelligence agencies, instead they would be given broad direction on where to focus their efforts and given resources to carry it out (in our case it is setting of a leadership value in the slider) and then they would do the best they could within the scope of the orders given. We have taken a similar approach to the actual using of spies, again for the same reasons of simplicity and reality. Instead of giving individual orders as in Doomsday you give your intelligence services a focus and they will continue to execute this mission until told otherwise. We’ll talk a little bit more about missions later on.

Then we have the interface, essentially the whole interface was built from scratch. Our goal to make intelligence information clear, leaving you more time to decide what to do with this information. We have also added more information in the intelligence screen, especially in the economic and political sides. With this is mind we have also cooked up a handy little solution that allows the intelligence screen to be saved, so it will update only monthly, or when the amount of spies you have placed in that country changes. This should make using the intelligence screen easier, if you just want to double check something it will still be the same and also avoid you trying to jump backwards and forwards into the intel system to watch out for enemies.

For intelligence missions we have added a number of options, in your own country you can search for enemy spies, support your ruling party or lower your neutrality value. These are pretty self-explanatory. The first two options are also available for other countries as well, so you do not have to just use espionage to subvert your enemies you can also use it to prop up your allies. For those of you who prefer to use espionage to only gather information we have three options, military, tech and political that boosts the accuracy and quantity of information you will receive in these areas.

beta_mar11.jpg

This certainly seems more intuitive.
It drove me nuts having to send/kill spies every week in HOI2.

At last intel dd. :D

With this is mind we have also cooked up a handy little solution that allows the intelligence screen to be saved, so it will update only monthly, or when the amount of spies you have placed in that country changes. This should make using the intelligence screen easier, if you just want to double check something it will still be the same and also avoid you trying to jump backwards and forwards into the intel system to watch out for enemies.
This I don't understand. What do you mean with "save the intelligence screen"? Make a screenshot and have that visible on the main map?

The interface alone seems to be a big improvment over the old cumbersome one from HOI2. I am looking forward to use this thing for more then to place counterspies in my own country :).

It also looks very clean, has good colors and seems to be very functional. Also I am happy it uses a kind of the EU3 CoT system so you simply set your priorities and the AI will send spies for you.

Most excellent. One question though: I see raise dissent has been replaced by disrupt national unity. Is there a cut-off point at which disrupting national unity becomes, in practice, raising dissent? If there is, would this point depend on laws, ministers and government types?

In any case, spying should be much more interesting now. :D

This I don't understand. What do you mean with "save the intelligence screen"? Make a screenshot and have that visible on the main map?

It means that let's say you look at the intel screen, then go look at the map and then go back to the intel screen. Both times the Intel screen will have exactly the same info (unless it is a new month or the spy total has changed).

would we have the option to set our intel agencies to monitor certain units and give a pop-up warning when they do anything or when they do a certain action?? (like: monitor that army across the english channel and warn me when it boards a transport; or monitor thous aircraft carriers and warn me when they're heading to say... pearl harbor)

What do the little arrows next to the units do/represent???

You said spies will be sent if available when I determine a priority. How are the spies made available? Do I pay money like in HoI2?

Also can I have more than one priority for intel/espionage in one nation or my own nation?

It means that let's say you look at the intel screen, then go look at the map and then go back to the intel screen. Both times the Intel screen will have exactly the same info (unless it is a new month or the spy total has changed).
Ah, thanks! Wouldn't that be the case anyway?

would we have the option to set our intel agencies to monitor certain units and give a pop-up warning when they do anything or when they do a certain action?? (like: monitor that army across the english channel and warn me when it boards a transport; or monitor thous aircraft carriers and warn me when they're heading to say... pearl harbor)

No, if you tell your intelligence agency to focus on say military units you will get more detailed information about them. However it is up to you to keep tabs on this and decide what it means.

Looks awesome Johan, but can we use spies to prop up political parties in non-allied countrie, ie I send spies as Germany to assist in strengthening the fascists in the US or britan?

You said spies will be sent if available when I determine a priority. How are the spies made available? Do I pay money like in HoI2?
It's generated via Leadership, a resource similar to manpower, if I understood the old Dev Dairies correctly.

Also can I have more than one priority for intel/espionage in one nation or my own nation?

You assign leadership to generate spies. Each country (including your own) can be asssigned an individual priority.

Allow you to drill down and see what's attached to an HQ.
Ah. Neat. So there's an HQ attached to that first HQ? Am I reading that right?