• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Darkrenown

Star marshal
141 Badges
Jan 8, 2002
no
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Hello all. I decided that my thoughts on phones last week didn’t really count as a DD, so we are still on #2.This week I’m going to talk about a new set of features we’ve made for the upcoming but as of yet unannounced DLC: Symptoms, diseases, and doctors.

Firstly, doctors, or more accurately, Court Physicians. Court Physician is a new minor title which you can give out to a well-learned person which makes them responsible for diagnosing and treating illnesses in your court.

Now, symptoms! No longer will you simply become “Ill” through an event, instead you will receive one of a variety of symptoms and over time you could become sicker, either you will gain more symptoms or they will evolve into a full blown disease, or perhaps you simply just had a cough and it will pass in time. When you first get a symptom if you have a Court Physician they will first attempt to diagnose what the cause is, and then administer a treatment - if their diagnosis was correct it’s more likely the treatment will be successful.

Here we can see the unfortunate Doge Orso becoming unwell:
dd ill1.jpg
dd ill2.jpg
dd ill3.jpg
The full list of symptoms is: Cough, Fever, Diarrhea, Vomiting, Headache, Chest Pain, Rash, Cramps, Abdominal pain, Fatigue, Malaise.

Depending on a number of factors your symptoms may well manifest into a disease. We’ve added some more diseases too: Flu, Dysentery, Gout, Food Poisoning (not a disease exactly), Rabies, and Cancer.

dd illness.jpg
As we can see, Cassio was right, Orso did have Food Poisoning! I skipped over a few more symptoms appearing, and here they are removed and replaced with the Food Poisoning trait.

At this point your Court Physician will call on you again to offer further treatment. This part is a bit more involved, and depending on the skill and traits of your Court Physician they can offer you up to 4 choices of treatment method: Experimental, Mystic, Proven, or Cautious:

• Experimental treatments tend to involve radical methods and/or surgery and very much depend on the skill of your Court Physician. Results will likely be very good or very bad depending on how it goes.

• Mystical treatments are offered by Court Physicians with the Mystic trait and often involves an appeal to a higher power. Because of the capricious nature of spirits, or possibly due to the mind-altering substances used to contact them, Mystical treatments may result in strange outcomes, and can even result in a change of personality in the patient. The power of faith is strong though, and when Mystical treatment goes well it can go very well indeed.

• Proven treatments represent the tried and true methods which are well-known to work (at least for a given value of “work”). They rarely go too badly wrong, but equally they do not have a huge effect when they go right.

• Cautious treatments are very safe, but often do little more than make you more comfortable. They will almost always be successful, but have a fairly minor effect.
DD treatments.jpg
Here Orso has the choice of Experimental or Proven treatments, or of doing nothing. Since Food Poisoning isn't terribly serious, it would make sense to take the Proven treatment rather than risk the Experimental method, but Cassio is a pretty good Court Physician, so he might well succeed. So, which should I pick? If anyone would like to vote on the matter, start your post with "Experimental", or "Proven" and in a short while I will count the votes and post what happens.
Well Experimental has won by a landslide, let's see how it goes:
dd outcome.jpg
Oh dear. Cassio's experimental surgery seems to have been a total success, but the anesthesia didn't fully take hold...

And that’s basically it, we hope that people with <secret DLC> will enjoy the process of getting sick and horribly dying. Next week Doomdark will talk about some interesting details of the 2.6 patch.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Edit2: Oh, oops. Experimental!

Oh wow, new ways to die!

Excellent!

Edit: Diseases kill my characters so rarely, I hope this will bring in some proper sickness immersion.

Edit3: Sorry, I got too exited seeing this pop into the first page.

Reactions:
Will this result in ven more characters dying of disease? Because people who are not of my dynasty are dropping like flies already.

Reactions:
Neat. Similar one of the features from the "Your Personal Castle" mod, but more fleshed out here.

EDIT: Also, while I understand that the symptoms and court physician are part of the DLC, are the new diseases as well or are they included in the patch?

Reactions:
Experimental

I ain't got anything else, actually, I just want to see it...

Reactions:
I think I know the name of the DLC:

Crusader Kings II: Way of Death

Valar morghulis.

I am a little concerned that 'Food Poisoning' will last weeks or months.

Having had food poisoning several times, the worst and serious symptoms last only a few days.

Reactions:
Experimental

Nice additions, I hope that diseases will now be a proper threat... instead of something that just happens every now and then and you most of the time ignore (apart from when your heir dies to it due to bad luck)

Reactions:
Is it possible to refuse the initial treatment, or will a terrible physician start amputating your leg if you have a mild cough without you having a say? Based on the screenshot, it is the latter, but perhaps there are certain circumstances (e.g. if you have high learning) when you have a say?

Reactions:
nice trait icons

Reactions:
I am just going to leave this here:

Attachments

• Good timing..PNG
    Good timing..PNG
    22,8 KB · Views: 1.062
Reactions:

Having had food poisoning several times, the worst and serious symptoms last only a few days.

I've had the same impulse as you. But then again if I remember correctly, my carousing parties in real life also never took as long as a month. Given the nature of CK2, it's probably best to not question that particular logic. :p

Reactions:
Experimental

only because I'm curious what "very good results" might be. Can you get additional bonuses on top of just not being sick anymore? Are they temporary or permanent bonuses? Am I going to send my king into disease ridden provinces so my 38 learning court physician can magic him stronger after healing?

Reactions:
I've had the same impulse as you. But then again if I remember correctly, my carousing parties in real life also never took as long as a month. Given the nature of CK2, it's probably best to not question that particular logic. :p

I always figured the parties in CKII were ongoing opulent parties and the like, lasting days, and even weeks, which were not uncommon in antiquity.

Food Poisoning, on the other hand, is a rather different ordeal.

Dying of dehydration is not uncommon in areas with poor health care and medical ignorance.

Reactions:
Is it possible to refuse the initial treatment, or will a terrible physician start amputating your leg if you have a mild cough without you having a say? Based on the screenshot, it is the latter, but perhaps there are certain circumstances (e.g. if you have high learning) when you have a say?

It is not possible to refuse the symptom treatments, but equally it is not possible to get negative outcomes there. The leg-sawing comes later :)

I think I know the name of the DLC:

Crusader Kings II: Way of Death

I did suggest Way of Death, jokingly, as a name.

Food poisoning can last up to 60 days, which is of course far longer than realistic but timescales need to be "CKed" or you just get a flood of events.

Do epidemics integrate into the new disease system? Is anything special planned for the Black Death?

Yes and yes.

Reactions: