• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
SunZyl said:
:confused: I could have sworn I saw it somewhere here...

Thats why the modding part listed one event, and why lots of stuff in the dev-diary talks about events done.

SunZyl said:
As soon as something is determed by randomness, it gets totally crapped...

Like everything in every single game we've made except Diplomacy? :)

So sending out marriages can be good policy.. :)
..maybe like that one vinland game in EU1 where i inherited denmark and sweden in quick succession..

Oh and prestige, what do we get from it?
Easier diplomacy, less "useless wars" and likelier inheritances..?

--------------------------

Now what does make genoa & venice different..
-something with trade.. and ability to mess around where they trade?
-ability to keep islands productive with enough ships, making them as if they were on the same continent?

SunZyl said:
Oh... :eek:o

I will just shut up now... so I don't say mroe stupid things. :p

np.. I'm just busy chatting at forums while waiting for a new beta to upload for the testers.

Now this is sweet. Two of the biggest problems with EU2:

- that the historic monarchs ALWAYS showed up, on time, no matter what happened in the world or how the nation had changed. As if the gods themselves had ordained that so-and-so HAD to be born, HAD to be raised 'just-so', and HAD to take the throne. Players would plot their entire games with a nation around the strengths and weaknesses of their dynastic lines, which was divinely ordained. In EU 3 the gods no longer rule men!

- specific historic events would fire even if the conditions which resulted in those events no longer existed, leading to many 'wtf???' moments prior to extensive (and painfully tedious) modding. Now events are situational, rather than rotely historical. Woohoo!

I gotta say, I've been surprised and extremely pleased with everything I've seen so far. There appears to be a much bigger difference between EU 3 and EU 2 than there was between EU 2 and EU 1, all of it for the better. I wasn't sure I'd buy this one, but after this post I'm definitely in for the release price.

This has got to be the first designer diary where every new or improved feature I've seen I've looked at and thought "oh yeah!". Especially after the Giant Trees of Rivendell were removed from the early maps.... :rofl:

Max

Well from the posts Johan has made, sounds like the event system will be very modder friendly. with tag = xxx as a trigger, and setting flags, should be able to make as specific an event as you wish. So historic events should be completely possible.

And unless I'm mistaken, i think I read that you will start with the historic monarch for whatever date you start with, so you can definitely have Lizzy I or Louis XIV as monarch if you start a game during their reigns.

Casluerj said:
Historical-events done? Havent seen any.

Loads of historical events have already been done.

However, there will not be a single event that merely has a date and a country as prerequisites...

maxpublic said:
Now this is sweet. Two of the biggest problems with EU2:

- that the historic monarchs ALWAYS showed up, on time, no matter what happened in the world or how the nation had changed. As if the gods themselves had ordained that so-and-so HAD to be born, HAD to be raised 'just-so', and HAD to take the throne. Players would plot their entire games with a nation around the strengths and weaknesses of their dynastic lines, which was divinely ordained. In EU 3 the gods no longer rule men!

- specific historic events would fire even if the conditions which resulted in those events no longer existed, leading to many 'wtf???' moments prior to extensive (and painfully tedious) modding. Now events are situational, rather than rotely historical. Woohoo!
Agree on both counts. The procession of fully predictable monarchs (and explorers and conquistadors) in a country like Portugal reduced replayability a lot for me.

Johan said:

However, there will not be a single event that merely has a date and a country as prerequisites...
But watch 'em spring up like weeds after it is released! :D

that the historic monarchs ALWAYS showed up, on time, no matter what happened in the world or how the nation had changed. As if the gods themselves had ordained that so-and-so HAD to be born, HAD to be raised 'just-so', and HAD to take the throne. Players would plot their entire games with a nation around the strengths and weaknesses of their dynastic lines, which was divinely ordained. In EU 3 the gods no longer rule men!

Problem with the reverse is that now all that becomes random: You *can't* get things "as they should be" even if you for some reason wanted to.

Also, I think that was one of the strengths of EU2: It made each country's position unique, and meant you had to time your strategies a bit. And not only your own country but that of others as well, it meant you learned some history (shock! though at times I think Paradox chose the current approach simply so that some geek from god-knows where wouldn't start complaining about how their monarch was underrated....)

I'm curious how/if they are going to make the game "feel" historical still. (I suspect some rather heavy AI-scripting is needed, IE: Making the austrians marry like crazy and conserve their monarchs while having the Burgundians be suicidial with theirs....) It gets a bit more "iffy" this way (as in, it's much, much, much harder to pull of successfully) but if they can do it it'll be better, I think.

On the other hand, chances are we end up with Moo3 or CK. Which would be a shame.

Johan said:

Could you show us the script of an historical event please ? :)

Imrryran said:
Could you show us the script of an historical event please ? :)

I could... :)

Arilou said:
Problem with the reverse is that now all that becomes random: You *can't* get things "as they should be" even if you for some reason wanted to.

Thats the key.

Victoria ended up as too much "should be".
Crusader Kings is too much "could be".

I want it to be "would be". Where things feels historical and plausible.

Reactions:
How does the succession wars work? You side with one nation and fight the other? What happens after (If you win/lose)?

This game just look better and better. :)

I really enjoyed the deterministic events of EU II, but I'm equally excited to see what EU III has to offer us. I have a few questions though;

- If we start at 1453, is there a way we are going to see Selim I or Suleyman I as actual Sultans, or are they gone forever?

- Given the unique nature of Ottoman marriage and succession laws, is there a special attention to their system; are they completely left out of Succession Wars concept; or are they treated just like any other Christian nation? Is there a muslim-only system for succession wars? Ideal would be a cross-between, but very odd to implement.

Casluerj said:
Hmmm... Getting better :)

I am not so sad as I was :)

Seconded. :)

In some twisted way, it makes more sense. If, for an example, Gustav II Adolf didn't marry Maria Eleonora (ie. no Royal Marriage with Brandenburg) then he would off course have gotten different and probably more childs.

Great things! :)

I especially like seeing good ideas from other pdox games getting into new ones :)

On a side note, i certainly hope that something has been done to avaid the accidental click syndrom...

I CERTAINLY wouldn't want to accidently make a wrong choice in such an important event... :eek: