Development Diary - 10th of December

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Trin Tragula

Design Lead - Crusader Kings 3
Paradox Staff
28 Badges
Aug 1, 2003
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • IPO Investor
  • Paradox Order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II
Hello and welcome to this developer diary for Imperator: Rome!

Today I will be returning to our combat mechanics, some of which have been iterated a bit on since we last touched on the subject. :)

Battles & Deployment
In the period covered by Imperator, battles were in many ways quite different from periods we cover in our other games. The battle system of its predecessor, Europa Universalis: Rome, did have a unique touch to it with its unit types and their various strengths and weaknesses, but was otherwise more similar to the battle system of the Europa Universalis Games.

In Imperator we have revamped combat in a number of ways to behave more like you would expect from the era, while also giving you greater control over how battles are fought.

First I’d like to refresh some things we have already gone through. Like in EU: Rome battles are fought in phases were a unit will attempt to damage the unit in front of it. If there is no unit immediately facing your unit it can try to damage a unit diagonally adjacent to it. The maneuver rating of each unit type determines how far away it can target a unit on the opposite side (for an overview of unit types see this former diary).

How much damage each unit can deal is dependent on its strength towards the unit it faces. As an example a unit of heavy infantry will deal more damage to light infantry.

Modifiers from Military Traditions and Unit Abilities can further strengthen certain units overall, or in certain terrains, as can well chosen Battle Tactics.

Now for the new stuff :)

battle.png

Unlike in its predecessor, there is no second row from which units can deal damage in Imperator:Rome. Instead there is a Primary Frontline and a Secondary Frontline.

The First Frontline will enter battle first, damaging the opposing side until its morale breaks or it suffers enough damage to be eliminated.

The Secondary Frontline will then begin to move forward to become the new front.

On the sides the units designated as Flank units will be deployed, these will first fight and kill the opposing flank, and then start targeting the center if they can (decided by their maneuver value as described above).

hippies.png

In the army interface you will be able to select which unit type you want to be prioritized for First Frontline, Second Frontline and Flank. The preselected choices will depend on your Military Traditions but they can be changed freely by the player or the AI for each army.
The size of the flank can also be set, either 2 cohorts, 5 cohorts or 10 cohorts.
Additionally some unit types are now scripted to be able to deal or take more morale damage or more physical damage, making them more or less suited for each role.

heavyinfantry.png

In most cases this means that you might see a first skirmish phase where your Primary Frontline of Archers or Light Infantry try to do as much damage as possible to the other side before their morale breaks and they retreat.

They are then followed by the units of the Second Frontline, potentially composed of heavier units such as Heavy Infantry or/and Elephants.

In an ideal world you might want to deploy something like Horse Archers on the Flanks, with a high maneuver value that would allow them to deal damage far into the center once they have defeated the opposing flank, but you might also go for something specifically to prioritize countering the opposing flank.

Since the choice is free you can to put any type of unit in each of these roles. If you are playing a country with specific bonuses to certain unit types from military traditions, that might change which unit you want to be in which position. If you just want to try something unexpected that is also possible.

When you do not have enough of your preferred unit type for a role the game will fill out with units in order of how high their build cost are.

archers.png

Apart from being strong against other unit types some units also have modifiers to how much morale damage they take, or deal. Archers take 25% more morale damage for instance, and Heavy Infantry deals more damage to unit strength of the opposing unit.

Battle Indicator
indicator.png

Like in Europa Universalis or Crusader Kings, Imperator will show an indicator on the map when a battle is expected to occur in a location where two armies are headed.

In Imperator we have added information to this indicator to give a quick view of some of the more relevant combat data of this expected battle. The indicator will change appearance depending on how likely a victory is, and its tooltip will summarize why it predicts a certain result.

Now there are many factors that influence the outcome of a battle, and together with the random elements that can skew a battle result this means that the indication might not always be entirely correct. But it will allow you to quickly gauge your chances of success, and show some of the factors that you would otherwise have to look around in the interface for.

Attrition:
attrition.png

A constant factor in warfare in this era and up until this day is the non-combat related losses in a conflict. Armies moving through hostile territory, or just areas unable to support them in general, will often suffer as many, often more, than ones directly involved in combat.

As in other Grand Strategy Games such as Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis locations in Imperator will have a supply limit (shown as a value next to the cauldron in the screenshot above), which is the size of army that the land can support without suffering attrition.

Weather and hostile terrain can also directly increase attrition of present armies. An army in a desert city will always suffer 1% attrition from it, as will armies in locations with harsh winter. Base Attrition is shown by the Skull in the province interface above.

Together with the mountain passes, roads and other features of the map this means that you will have to pay closer attention to the map when on campaign. Minimum attrition means that an unsafe route might be more punishing than what you are used to. The automatic path-finding will prefer shorter movement times and low attrition when possible, but at times you might want to cross that desert to reach the battlefield you want.

That was all for today! Next week I will be back with some more information on Trade, Diplomacy and regional information about the starting situation in the British Isles.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Good to hear. Keep up good work - this game is going to be good succesor to EU: Rome :)!

Will we be able to reduce attrition due to being over supply limit with policies such as pillage local villages, reducing unrest or raising resistance in those territories if conquered in exchange temporarily raised supplies?

Just thinking about how Alexander and other generals moved massive armies through these lands. They sometimes suffered massive attrition, but not always.

It has been nice to see that a recurring theme in the impressions of the youtubers who have been posting gameplay footage is the good tactical depth in war. This definitely looks like an improvement on previous games.

Have we had a design log about playable nation in Britain yet?

Looking really nice. Good to see you attempting to make a more realistic battle system instead of just making a rebrand of the EU system like in Rome I.

Weather and hostile terrain can also directly increase attrition of present armies. An army in a desert city will always suffer 1% attrition from it, as will armies in locations with harsh winter.
Awesome!! :D Now do this for EU4 too ;)

@Trin Tragula Will armies acquire Acclimation to an environment they move through or fight in like in HOI4? The reason I'm asking is that I see on many maps of the game that there are (I'm guessing) Slavic tribes you'll be able to play as, and it seems really odd to me that a people so accustomed to harsh weather would take attrition to it, or at least perhaps not start off with a tolerance to cold weather.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm unsure as how to frontline and flanks interact in extreme cases.

Could I run around with 0 units in my frontline and verything else (up to 20 units) on the flank? Would I autlose because my frontline is empty? Would my flank just shift into the center and effectively become my frontline immeditaley? Or would my enemies frontline just idle around while the flanks are engaged and only get into battle once the flank battles are decided?

This looks rather interesting, but I wonder what is the "feel" of the warfare. Do we see a lot of small battles or few decisive battles? Is there cat-and-mouse maneuvering, or do the armies prefer to meet head on? Multiple small armies or few big armies?

This looks rather interesting, but I wonder what is the "feel" of the warfare. Do we see a lot of small battles or few decisive battles? Is there cat-and-mouse maneuvering, or do the armies prefer to meet head on? Multiple small armies or few big armies?
I imagine you would want to keep armies small where possible to reduce the risk from disloyal generals. Both in screenshots on Johan’s twitter and from the footage on youtube people seem to be favouring smaller stacks than the doom stacks you get in eu4.

Will units in the centre flank who can no longer reach enemies (due to low maneuver), now swap out to allow flanking units that CAN hit enemies take their place? Because this is something that has bugged me since EU2.

That's great. Why there is no ambush? I think a troop could choose ambush when it stays. The success rate depends on the terrain, numbers of its cohort, military trandition, its general's and hostile general's relevant trait. Moreover, the troop could choose to be aggressive or negative, which decides whether it would attack the hostile army automatically when the latter gets by. the ambushed army would suffer more damage.