• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(40707)

Just call me Yoda in private!
Mar 1, 2005
Hello everybody, and welcome to our tenth development diary for ‘For the Glory’ (FTG).

We’ll start today with a few more useful additions to the script engine.
It is often useful for a command to target provinces in a specific area, but until now the only control a modder had was to use the -4 target to get a random province in the Americas. So we extended this to its logical conclusion: since continents, regions, and areas are defined in geography.txt with unique IDs, we subtract the ID from -1000 to target a random province in that place (the -1000 is to avoid collisions with -1 and so forth). That sounds more complicated than it really is, so let's take an example.

To refresh your memory, here is what a continent entry looks like:
Code:
continent = {
    id = 5
    tag = "Oceania"
    name = "CON_Oceania"
    culture_change = yes
    whiteman_penalty = yes
    popgrowth_island_colony = 0.00
    popgrowth_continent_colony = 0.00
    popgrowth_penalty = no
    cot_assign_penalty = no
    combat_overrun = no
    badboy_penalty = yes
    hre_election = no
    available_mercenaries = no
    vp_first_establishment = 5
}
So if a modder wants to simulate early migration to Oceania, the command would be:
Code:
command = { type = poppercent which = -1005 value = 5 }

Want to help the French AI explore Canada? Take this:
Code:
area = {
        id = 138
        tag = "Grand Lacs"
        name = "AREA_Grand_Lacs"
        type = land
        vp_discover_first = { desc = "SPEC_GREATLAKE" province = any value = 10 }
}
and make this:
Code:
command = { type = discover which = -1138 }
(As a side note, the -1 target is special for the discover command: since discovering a random province anywhere in the world wouldn't be very useful, the -1 target only applies to provinces adjacent to a province that is already known.)

Since that change frees up the special -4 target, we decided to put it to good use: -4 now targets any province or country which was not already randomly selected in the same action. To make this clearer, consider an action like this:
Code:
    action_a = {
        name = "OK"
        command = { type = relation which = -1 value = 25 }
        command = { type = relation which = -4 value = 25 }
        command = { type = relation which = -4 value = 25 }
    }
}
Using the -4 target prevents the same country from being selected more than once here. This is a trivial example, but it can come in quite handy with, say, conversion or fortifications.

Finally, the previously-unused -5 target now refers to the capital of the receiving country, and -7 targets a random elector.

To whet your appetite a little further, here are a couple more event pictures:

stbasils.png
warszawas.png

Another screenshot with enhanced city view under the snow:

cityview.png

I am playing Russia. Poland and Saxony are my allies in a war with Sweden. You can see the AI doesn’t try to siege with more than is really necessary. By the way, did I mention siege sprites are related to countries and tech levels?

Enough of winter, let’s go into warm water now:

navalhires.png

porimove.gif
galeagrossamove.gif

Lastly, let’s talk about mods. You know mods can be selected in the Settings screen. There is also a shortcut in the start menu:

modselection.png

AGCEEP was the last-used mod, but there is no need to reload the game when choosing a different mod or reverting to standard scenarios.
The above list only shows mods that are bundled with the game, but beta testers who are also modders have worked very hard, and several mods will be available very soon. In fact, my own list is not really empty already...

Good DD (the last one, I presume?).
The new events pictures are classy.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice :D

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! :)

The sprites in game look fantastic!

And as it seems to be the last DD... I wonder: 1) shall we have more tech levels for Infra and Trade (say, 10 each) and 2) are there some new buildings to be built in the province?

Arabia Universalis and WATKABAOI

Hello everybody,

Let me introduce myself. I am Cool-Toxic I have been modding EU2 for ages and now I am beta tester for FtG and a modder for FtG. You might know me from the EU2 forum where I have been quite active.

Well let us continue today with a description of the two mods I am working on.

Arabia Universalis
At first we have Arabia Universalis. It is a mod covering the period 711-1031. The timeline might be extended to the 13th century even!
The mod comes with the Old World Map based on Elvain's map.
Elvain and I are the main persons behind the mod.
We have now added events for the Coronation of Pepin and the Islamic Invasion of Iberia. The mod uses the new commands from FtG which makes the events much more detailed and precise.
The religions include 7 different Pagan religions, 5 different Christian religions, 3 different Muslim religions, Judaism, Zoroastrianism and many more!

26784337.png

87780497.png

WATKABAOI
The second mod is WATKABAOI, which many of you may know already. It is covering the period 1337-1914. It comes with a detailed map based on Kasperus' WatK.
This mod includes 550 countries and counting! Events will take use of the commands from FtG for the same reason as AU.
The main persons behind the FtG version is Chefkoch and I.
Do you know what ToT is ? No not the map mod from EU3... I mean Treaty of Tordesillas. Now Treaty of Tordesillas will not only work for Catholic nations. Nor will only Spain or Portugal gain from it. We have changed it so now ToT includes France, England, the Netherlands and SWEDEN ! Now you might wonder why on Earth would we do such a thing. Our answer is that now North American Pagans will also obey the ToT rules. This means that now England will be able to take provinces added to them as ToT provinces without declaring wars upon Native American nations. This will help the colonial aspect and make the game just a tad better to play.

82190217.png

americae.png

In the end I would like to say that everybody is welcome to help out with the mods, when the game has been released. At that time the mods will be uploaded.

Last edited:
And as it seems to be the last DD... I wonder: 1) shall we have more tech levels for Infra and Trade (say, 10 each) and 2) are there some new buildings to be built in the province?
1) not in standard scenarios but there is no limit for mods.

2) it has been discussed, not yet and not impossible in a future version.

Shouldn't the wall be in shade as the gate?
Gate is darkened to tell enhancement is not possible. But you can see Russians have specific walls, just like other sets (and there is no limit to sets since they are now linked to tags and not hardcoded).

And is that a ship for Portugal?? :D:D
First one? There is a chance... :)

The detail of the sail (cross and shape) is really amazing. That's historical accuracy.:)

edit:
Gate is darkened to tell enhancement is not possible.

Makes sense.

Last edited:
We need to make the rest of the community aware of FTG. :)

Awesome Portuguese Caravel. I would support that you enlarge the cross itself and center it in the sail's cloth.

cool-toxic: adding ToT to everybody but Portugal and Spain is sooo ahistorical :| Make a new function instead like a colonial power only ability to take what u want without going to war, which did happen.

As for the DDs I must say i apreciate the new pictures included in the events.

cool-toxic: adding ToT to everybody but Portugal and Spain is sooo ahistorical :| Make a new function instead like a colonial power only ability to take what u want without going to war, which did happen.

As for the DDs I must say i apreciate the new pictures included in the events.

Sorry you must have misunderstood. I wrote that it will not only benefit Portugal and Spain. Portugal and Spain as you know do not have ToT claims on North America and therefore we have given this to England, Netherlands, France and Sweden.