• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's okay, but don't panick, I still look forward to the game so you don't have to cancel it. Unless I will not be satisfied with the next dev diary in which case I have to make arrangements.

anyhow, this reaction in general comes in the tradition of the victoria forum :D

i can picture Johan saying to King right now, "i told you!" :D

Nice first DD. It's great to see the ball rolling on this game so to speak although I'm sure you've already done a fair amount of work on it. It's also great to see a designer/manufacturer/producer with a passion for the product they are crafting/creating no matter what that may be.

I'm looking forward to a great game.

Well this is it, the first developer diary for Victoria 2. You’ll be seeing a lot more of these over the coming weeks; we aim for one a week but we know now that this won’t always happen. Either there will be things like holidays (I know what you are thinking: ‘but this is communist Sweden and we do get those kinds of things here’) or major games shows will interrupt this weekly schedule. However, most weeks until gold you’ll see a diary from me.

Well first up, those of you with a keen eye for detail will have seen that this is not Johan posting, so who the hell am I? I am Chris King and I am the designer for Victoria 2. I joined Paradox three and half years ago and my first project was Victoria Revolutions. Victoria has always had a special place in my heart because of that. In a fit of honesty I must say that although I am credited designer, it does not logically follow that everything you see in the game is my idea. Game design is very much a collaborative work and the whole team pitches in at various points. Still the joy of the credit for game design means you end up being the poor guy who has to write everything down. So that’s why it has fallen to me to write the developer diaries.

So the first question you must all be wondering, why Victoria 2? It is probably no secret that Victoria was not Paradox’s most commercially successful title. Which did make it less likely to become a sequel that some of our more popular titles. However, here we are doing a sequel.

There are two main reasons for this, first up was Victoria Revolutions. Now it itself it wasn’t a blockbuster, those of you who follow game sales charts will notice it wasn’t quite able to shift games like World of Warcraft or the Sims of the top of the charts, but as an expansion it had its following. So one idea bounced around was a second expansion to Victoria and ideas were generated. All this came to nought because as a company we decided to not work with the old engine again, but the ideas remained.

Meanwhile the new engine is cranking out games and the code base for the new engine is steadily expanding. With this foundation projects that we did not consider possible a few years ago suddenly became doable. So when it came to decide which game to do after Hearts of Iron 3, there were these ideas sitting around for an expansion to Victoria. These ideas looked pretty cool but more was going to be needed. However, here was the kernel of what we believe is a great game. The rest is history.

Traditionally dev diaries usually include screenshots, but this one sadly doesn’t. For those of you who can’t be bothered to read long developer ego stroking posts and just want to look at the pictures here are some sprites. These are just a small selection of the final in game sprites; we will unveil more as we go through development.

Notice Johan always gives you the tough projects Chris?

I had a bizarre dream last night in which I was a beta tester for Vicky2, and to my horror it was identical to vicky1 with a few tiny graphical changes... then doubly to my horror I got an email from PI saying I owed them €11.95... that, along with my postcount on this forum tells me I may be a tad obsessed with this game.

I had a bizarre dream last night in which I was a beta tester for Vicky2, and to my horror it was identical to vicky1 with a few tiny graphical changes... then doubly to my horror I got an email from PI saying I owed them €11.95... that, along with my postcount on this forum tells me I may be a tad obsessed with this game.

Oh no, we've been found out.

I am sad to announce that Victoria 2 has been cancelled, however Crusader Kings 2 is out next week.

Did the "why" of Vicky 2 have anything to do with the pre-Mayhem announcement (wish) polls?

Thanks for this one, BTW!

Did the "why" of Vicky 2 have anything to do with the pre-Mayhem announcement (wish) polls?

Thanks for this one, BTW!

it did help its case. However it didn't matter how many poles Victoria 2 won, we needed a good game we felt we could make to achieve this.

So will all nations have custom sprites? or only the big nations and the rest will have generic regional ones, or something?

So will all nations have custom sprites? or only the big nations and the rest will have generic regional ones, or something?

I guess all historical great powers will have there own set of sprites, the others will be divided by region the SA nations sharing sprites etc.

it did help its case. However it didn't matter how many poles Victoria 2 won, we needed a good game we felt we could make to achieve this.

Well good, I voted for HoI3 anyway. But I am looking forward to the game in a big way. Until then, your no doubt fabulous DDs will have to do.

As far as the sprites, will they perhaps change over time? Multi-level? I cannot imagine using them in the 1930s.

Lippe-Detmold is not going to have a custom sprite. For all you Lippe-Detmold fans out there I know you are going to be upset but hopefully there will still be something in the game for you. So short answer big countries get custom sprites then there will generic ones for various regions.

Well good, I voted for HoI3 anyway. But I am looking forward to the game in a big way. Until then, your no doubt fabulous DDs will have to do.

As far as the sprites, will they perhaps change over time? Multi-level? I cannot imagine using them in the 1930s.

We are just going for single level sprites.

Oh, nice sprites. I especially love the Swedish sprite, wearing the beautiful m/ä-uniform.

However, I think the uniform depicted is the m/1845. ?

The trousers should be blue. (White trousers were only used during the summer, so for most of the year trousers were blue)

The yellow "passepoil" around the edges of the jacket should be removed.