• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Cool to see DDs already up!!

I am very excited about this.

But one thing: Can the sprite soldiers be made a bit more MANLY??? They look like barbie dolls, with the broad shoulders and the slim waist and the legs so far apart and UGG boots on their feet.

And by the way, if you hold a rifle like that the powder and the cartridge will drop out!! :mad: Not to mention that you could easily shoot yourself in the foot. You do not hold it like a submachine gun or a carbine rifle, you hold it upright.

Since this is about the 19th century, could the soldiers be made to look a bit more like this:
ts_soldier.jpg

Sorry, but I hate the sprites! This is stupid, but one of the reasons I loved Vic was the sprites looked like units of that time. Victoria is my favorite Paradox game, but if (like all the resent games) you're going down this path again, I think I'll pass on Vic2.... either that or just just counters if they are possible.

Like a friend of my mentioned, it seems each game Paradox that "upgrades" to 3d, the game seems to drop a notch, well IOHO anyway ( In Our Humble Opinon).

I don't ask for or want a lot of "eye candy" in my stratigy games, but is there anyway on earth, your can go back to the look of Victoria as far as the sprites go?

And by the way, if you hold a rifle like that the powder and the cartridge will drop out!! :mad: Not to mention that you could easily shoot yourself in the foot. You do not hold it like a submachine gun or a carbine rifle, you hold it upright.

Now, who says the guns are loaded? And also, the paper is supposed to keep the bullet and powder in place. Also you never have the guns loaded while marching or just standing around. ;)

But one thing: Can the sprite soldiers be made a bit more MANLY??? They look like barbie dolls, with the broad shoulders and the slim waist and the legs so far apart and UGG boots on their feet.

Seconded. Also, some 3dsmax plugin for modders would be nice. :)

I'm probably going to have to buy a new computer just to be able to play this.

It'll be 100% worth it, those sprite shots have convinced me.

The most important matter hasn't been addressed yet: Will the V2 avatars be flags? I want my Victoria Prussian flag avatar back, damnit! :(

Cool to see DDs already up!!

I am very excited about this.

Since this is about the 19th century, could the soldiers be made to look a bit more like this:
ts_soldier.jpg

Don't panic no powder or cartridge will drop out, the rifle is question is the Martini-Henry rifle as seen in Zulu.

Youhoo dev diaries, sprites <3 , thx King.
Also would prefer to see another stance on the soldier, but that's just nitpicking.
Can't wait to hear more and nice to have you write the diaries from communist sweden

28jb3g5.jpg

Clearly superior to vicky 2 sprites. We need columns!

Yeah but what I like about the sprites in the development diary is that the uniforms are more detailed.

For whatever reason, I love the agricultural fields. Very early 19th century.

:rofl:

I second that!

You don't want to talk about the US with me. My main source of information about your country is thedailyshow.com... :)

Meh, they do better journalism than most anyone else over here, which is kind of embarressing, when you get down to it...

Sorry, but I hate the sprites! This is stupid, but one of the reasons I loved Vic was the sprites looked like units of that time. Victoria is my favorite Paradox game, but if (like all the resent games) you're going down this path again, I think I'll pass on Vic2.... either that or just just counters if they are possible.

Like a friend of my mentioned, it seems each game Paradox that "upgrades" to 3d, the game seems to drop a notch, well IOHO anyway ( In Our Humble Opinon).

I don't ask for or want a lot of "eye candy" in my stratigy games, but is there anyway on earth, your can go back to the look of Victoria as far as the sprites go?

You're making a quality judgement of the game based on an early release image of some sprites? :wacko: What exactly is different between this and Victoria 1, other than not being in a group? It looks better?

Last edited:
Hell, is not like we don't play Hearts of Iron. COUNTERS are used there. COUNTERS!

I follow the plea of making the models as moddable as possible! Particularly if we get a graphic team to work with VIP *drools*

But as the box-cover has indicated, Victoria2 (like all Paradox game) is about changing history. So why should France, Russia and the US get British WWI sprites if they are f.e. allied to Germany in 1910.

Semi-Arbitrary. Because it's a minimum art investment for something that would be slightly better then having just one 'modern' sprite. Hell you could just have everyone look like little WW1 British guys, but people would whine if they didn't get their spikey German helmet, and you've got to divvy up the two or three generic modern sprites somehow. Might as well go by vaugely historical lines.

Although even one generic 'modern' sprite for EVERYONE would be better than none at all.

yeah sorry about that i was kinda in a rush but still i think that is a little odd not having sprite changes at least only once say they all get ww1 uniforms in 1900 or so. So it looks like we are gonna have blue american civil war soldiers fighting mid 19th century prussian infantry in the trenches of 1916 France.

2922pld.jpg

OVER THE TOP, LADS!!