• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Uncivilised nations do not promote Capitalists, Clerks or Craftsmen and cannot build factories.

Isn´t this a little bit too harsh? Wasn´t there something like grey zones or gradual changes from an "uncivilised country" to a civilised one? So that also the uncivilised ones were able to develop a certain industry, which finally allowed them to become "civilised"? I mean this is how I see cause and effect.

The AI will alway choose the decision if it can.

Will the ai actively try to reach the prerequisites and consider these in their actions?

Will it also be possible for smaller uncivilized nations (in population) to reach the military requirements?

If you read the diary more carefully, you'll see that civ/unciv status is more of an outside opinion.

If you read my post more carefully, you'll see that I am aware of that. My question was, if civ/unciv status is more of an outside opinion, then why on earth is my research speed affected and why I cannot have clerks? That makes no sense at all.

So my suggestion was, that the civ-status only affects diplomacy and trade!

Isn´t this a little bit too harsh? Wasn´t there something like grey zones or gradual changes from an "uncivilised country" to a civilised one? So that also the uncivilised ones were able to develop a certain industry, which finally allowed them to become "civilised"? I mean this is how I see cause and effect.

That grey zone is the artisan POP.

it's a bit harsh for not being able to build factories IMO. then again, we dont know how we could manage the requirements for being civilized with a state production based on artisans. we wouldn't know unless we have the game in our hands.

First off, that interface looks gorgeous, not just all that's expected of a PI game like the Edit: Gamespot reviewer said. It's definitely a step up, and it suits what this game is about.

There is an event series for the Unciv countries and interacting with the west. Bascially you can choose to the easier path to civilisation with greater internal turmoil or take the harder route but keep your people happier.

This settles the few worries I had about the civilising process. I agree it's a eurocentric game, and you can't focus on everything. But it's great to see some effort going into it to make sure the decision isn't easy or sudden. Hopefully we can get a RotW expansion one day which can give the detail the RotW deserves, just like we can hope for regional markets or more varying levels of regional control. But this sounds good for now.

That's part of why artisans are such a great new feature.

So in addition to my previous question about warmaking overseas (and uncivs' ability to do it)... How about those numbers for civilization? Are they the same for everybody, or would, say, China have a lot more military score to garner than Hawaii?

Please stop suggesting things.

Hehe.

On another note, keeping in mind I didn't play Vicky 1, are there technology groups? Or are there basically two technology groups (being Civ and Unciv)? If only two, is this possible to be expendable, a la eu3?

That would allow for a modded 'path to civ'.

Hmm, a pity Japan needs a special decision. I was hoping the initial setup would be such that Japan would civilize "by itself". But what am I complaining about, it was the same in Vic1 and I love that game :)!

Ok, but I mean even countries like China had manufacturies (do not know the exact word) that were beyond what I would consider an artisan. If "artisan" refers to single craftsmen.

Well, it doesn't. POPs represent large, fairly abstract groups of people fulfilling a certain function. An artisan POP producing luxury clothing would probably represent a bunch of single craftsmen working on their own as tailors, whereas an artisan POP producing sail ships would represent a bunch of people working at a pre-industrial shipyard.

If the "manufacturies" China had are places where things are done without steam power or internal combustion power, it's an artisan. Or, rather, the invisible place where the artisan POP goes to work.

it does seem like the artisans will be a big contributors to your pre industrial production, as the production screen in the official website suggests. i can see China having no huge trouble industrializing with all the manpower it has. may be a national focus on the promotion of artisans will provide her with enough resources for industrialization.

Edit: i can see the slow rate of tech researching being the major obstacle.

Does the amount of divisionsrequired for Hawaii to civilise the same as the amount required for China to civilise? And will there be specific events for uncivilised nations, as there was in Vicky 1?

Is it possible to slide back into "uncivility" due to e.g. rebellion caused by the decision to civilize?