• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

King

Part Time Game Designer
11 Badges
Dec 7, 2001
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Victoria 2 Beta
The biggest question we have is how to make the game come alive. How to make you feel you are steering a country through the 19th century? Now, a lot of this is done via game mechanics. We want to put constraints on your actions that matched those that countries in the period felt. We also wanted to set up the mechanics in such a way that historical choices were logical to you, even though with hindsight they weren’t always.

Also, consider the scenario set-ups themselves; each country is different. Even two countries of identical size will have different POP compositions and produce different goods, etc. Essentially, each country should be different. All this adds to the game experience.

However, we felt that this was not going to be enough on its own. Firstly, we imported as many of the old Victoria flavour events as we could. The effects may be quite small, but they helped establish some narrative for the countries, telling a little bit of the story of what was happening in the world. We then added more decisions and events to countries; from an event for Great Britain about the first FA cup final to a decision for Lippe-Detmold on who to support during the Lippe succession dispute. Although there will always be things we missed and there could always have been more, we felt that each event we added helped bring the game more alive.

Not content with events and decisions, the power of the game engine allows us to do other cool things. We decided to add two country specific rebel types into the game. Spain now has the Carlists. Unlike standard reactionary rebels, these guys will not settle for anything less than an absolute monarchy lead by Don Carlos (or right thinking heir thereof).

China gets the Boxer rebels and a decision to encourage them. These guys are also not your standard reactionary rebels. They are not just content to ensure that China is ruled by an Emperor with the mandate from heaven; as they win provinces they seek to remove European influences, things like those nasty Europeans encouraging the use of opium for example. If they, win they will enforce China’s removal from a sphere of influence. They don’t want to remember all those who died to keep China British. The down side of this is that as they capture provinces they hand a Great Power a Casus Bellum on China. So, you could end up with the Eight-Nation alliance intervening to restore order to China.

Although we are now on text freeze and won’t be adding more, we put a fair amount of effort into making the countries as unique as possible and reserve the right to add yet more in possible patches. Well, that’s it for me, back to balancing the economic system.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
Cool. So that means we could mod nation-specific rebel types?

Glad to hear flavor events are in. How will the system handle the Taiping rebellion?

I really like the idea of country-specific rebels. China needs Taiping Heavenly Kingdom Rebels as much as it needs the Boxers, though I guess you already implemented that.

A question, though: Can those rebels be "inherited" by a conqueror? Say, Spain or China are annexed, will there still be Carlists or Boxers in their core territories?

I really like the idea of country-specific rebels. China needs Taiping Heavenly Kingdom Rebels as much as it needs the Boxers, though I guess you already implemented that.

A question, though: Can those rebels be "inherited" by a conqueror? Say, Spain or China are annexed, will there still be Carlists or Boxers in their core territories?

No to both questions

Very nice!

Wow, a DD that fit's my topic:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=478247
Will you destroy historical flavour or rename Germany ? :)

Historical flovour 4tw \o/
You cannot add enough of it, that gives the game the right touch :cool:
(Even events that are LIKELY to happen are cool)...

Can you not double post. I did read your thread, just thought the subject was too stupid to reply too. Can I have Germany called the german empire regardless of government form.

The rebel system you´ve (you as in Paradox) created seems like a really good way to go. I look forward to august (even if it´s at the end of the summer) already.
Good luck with the balancing!

Will these types of rebels always have a chance to pop up or is there some kind of trigger for them? Can a nation have more than one country-specific rebel?

Will these types of rebels always have a chance to pop up or is there some kind of trigger for them? Can a nation have more than one country-specific rebel?

There is no limit to the number we could of added, it is just a question of time more than anything else. Also we felt if we were going to add a country specific rebel type it should have a specific goal over and above the standard rebel type. Take Carlists for example, the standard reactionary rebels will sometimes choose a presidential dictatorship (depending on your government form), not so the Carlists they always want an absolute monarchy.