• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Another thing :
How will gaining a Great War "save" your great power rank. If the war is declared against a 1st or 2nd ranker there is probability that even with the prestige gain your remain 9th after the war (if the 8th continues to gain score)... Or maybe is there a special huge prestige boost to winning a GW...?

About arms races. Is there any incentives for the top great powers to compete, perhaps for the first spot?
This would make sense for the naval race, etc.

Your military score forms part of your ranking. Fall behind in that and you could drop out of the Great Power league.

So a country can't be part of two or more SoI. Won't it be a problem with China ? Western countries had a silent agreement to share it during the 19th century, and i guess a single country having all the cake might have led all other great powers to war.

Another thing :
How will gaining a Great War "save" your great power rank. If the war is declared against a 1st or 2nd ranker there is probability that even with the prestige gain your remain 9th after the war (if the 8th continues to gain score)... Or maybe is there a special huge prestige boost to winning a GW...?

You cannot lose your Great Power Status while in a Great War. Then you are seeking to gain enough in the war to bring yourself back to rank 8. Either by gains yourself or by hurting one your Great Power opponents enough to force them into 9th and rise your own ranking that way.

So a country can't be part of two or more SoI. Won't it be a problem with China ? Western countries had a silent agreement to share it during the 19th century, and i guess a single country having all the cake might have led all other great power to war.

It's a neccesary abstraction, however it does make China worth competing over.

There could have been degres in your SoI, ex China is 30% in UK's SoI, 15% in France's 15 % in USA...

About the great war you can make not to lose you GP status, i didn't understand if it would be an event screen like "Oh no ! you're #9 ! Start a great war ?" or do you have to have an alliance with another GP (or two since you're not a GP anymore) and then manually dow a team of at least 2 other GP ?

There is a 'Decrease Relation' button. Why would you want to do that?

You reduce another GP's relations with that country.

There could have been degres in your SoI, ex China is 30% in UK's SoI, 15% in France's 15 % in USA...

About the great war you can make not to lose you GP status, i didn't understand if it would be an event screen like "Oh no ! you're #9 ! Start a great war ?" or do you have to have an alliance with another GP (or two since you're not a GP anymore) and then manually dow a team of at least 2 other GP ?

It is still a necessary abstraction.

You get a wanring saying you have dropped to number 9, you now have 6 months to do something about it. A great war is one way to avoid it, but if you have no GP allies then that is not an option.

It is still a necessary abstraction.

You get a wanring saying you have dropped to number 9, you now have 6 months to do something about it. A great war is one way to avoid it, but if you have no GP allies then that is not an option.

Would declaring war on #8 and subsequently reducing its military/prestige be a more direct approach to achieving GP status again?

I guess China can be solved somewhat simply by giving all the GP high starting opinion with China. So even though one might claim it for his own, it will not be easy to maintain the hold.

Too bad there isn't regional spheres of influence.

But this sounds good. I like this feature.

I still hate Scottish rugby though.

Sounds very nice!

I wonder what expelling advisors and banning embassies will do. :)

Just hope the complex system Vicky seems to be heading for won't be too much for the AI to handle.

Your military score forms part of your ranking. Fall behind in that and you could drop out of the Great Power league.

Please tell me that the military score formula will be revised so that keeping large fleets of obsolete ships doesn't increase your military score (a la the Vicky 1 AI)

If you've got dozens of ships of the line hanging around in 1900 then your nation should be a laughing stock, not a Great Power. ;-)

(Another slightly related thought. The maintenance cost of those wooden ships of the line needs to increase vastly through the timeline. A ship of the line with a crew of 500 has the same wage bill as an armoured cruiser with a crew of 500. And wages went up massively. In Vicky1 this was modelled ok *for land units* because techs came with big increases in unit maintenance. It didn't work so well for ships.)

Sounds very nice!

I wonder what expelling advisors and banning embassies will do. :)

Just hope the complex system Vicky seems to be heading for won't be too much for the AI to handle.

You know I was discussing with Tegus the AI logic for this. It is being coded now to give us time to tweak and improve it between and release.