• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This sounds really intriguing. I want to ally with a House pretty bad, but I also want all the money :D.

I am looking forward to allying with a House though. I am worried about that punishing Flashpoint though, especially if I am in Career Mode when a loss can mean the end of a run if I remember right (Ironman). It's all or nothing.

No pain, no gain :)

This sounds really intriguing. I want to ally with a House pretty bad, but I also want all the money :D.

I am looking forward to allying with a House though. I am worried about that punishing Flashpoint though, especially if I am in Career Mode when a loss can mean the end of a run if I remember right (Ironman). It's all or nothing.

No pain, no gain :)

Ironman is default in career mode, but if you're feeling completionist the Lord Commander has said there's an option to toggle it off.

:confused:
Now I am pumped for Flashpoint. I've definitely got to do a FWL-orientated career mode run but I'm sorely tempted to do a run for all 4 factions to see those hard Flashpoints...

I assume that there are more Kurita/Steiner missions being offered in 1.3 than before? I think I saw a couple of Steiner missions offered and no Kuritan ones in an entire campaign in v1/1.1 It'd be tough to earn enough rep at that rate!

As BATTLETHECH is right now, and accordingly to battletech.gamepedia.com, you might negotiate contract for House Steiner while in Marik-held star systems, and Kurita contract only while whithin Davion space, as apparently neither Steiner nor Kurita have any Faction-held systems in the Aurigan Reach... unless... maybe... they will get some spearhead systems in the campaign star-map with the 1.3 patch or the FLASHPOINT DLC?!? ;):)

Which makes me also wonder how may I get the fabulous Kurita-only or Steiner-only prizes from their Faction Quartermasters, if they have no Faction-held system in the Aurigan Reach - as well as how may I be able to sell them excess surplus BattleMechs, weapon systems or other equipments, if they will go on staying without any controlled system in the Reach...:confused:

Ironman is default in career mode, but if you're feeling completionist the Lord Commander has said there's an option to toggle it off.

I do think I remember reading that now. Thanks for posting this and reminding me. I still might Ironman it though...Why not. I'm a gluten glutton for punishment :D.

Last edited:
Am I the only one sad and a bit angry that we will be able to unlock only one of those major flashpoints per walkthorugh, how many major facction there are in the game? 5? Will I have to play 5 differents runs for seeing all of those? Can we break alliance with a major faction after doing the flashpoint and then rise the rep with another one aiming to ally it? Overall great dev diary and excited to be a part of the politic conflict.

Am I the only one sad and a bit angry that we will be able to unlock only one of those major flashpoints per walkthorugh, how many major facction there are in the game? 5? Will I have to play 5 differents runs for seeing all of those? Can we break alliance with a major faction after doing the flashpoint and then rise the rep with another one aiming to ally it? Overall great dev diary and excited to be a part of the politic conflict.
Please see this post: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...r-diaries-5-reputation.1124961/#post-24771785

No need to be sad or angry, Good @AlexMercer78. :bow:

Mitch (aka HBS_HighCommand) has indicated that we can indeed break our Alliances, though our Allies will not (at this time, not) Backstab us or break our Alliances themselves.

So with one play-through we can indeed move from one Great House to another. Though just as in the BattleTech franchise and universe, one helluva lot of hard work and many many missions will be needed to build up reputation in between moves to change Alliances. :bow:

I can't wait to see this system implemented... it's going to be a whole new game when flashpoint drops. :D

I do have two questions:
  • Are the reputation drops linear, or does the system take your current reputation into account? It would make sense if your reputation tanked if you had good relations with a faction and took a contract with their enemies, but would see almost no reputation loss if you only had neutral reputation (assuming you were attacking another target). If the drops were linear I could see newer players burn their reputation with 1-2 factions without even knowing it.
  • I know there are events in the base game that were designed to trigger when your rep dropped too low for the different factions (no idea if they were active, you really have to work at tanking a faction rep right now). Is flashpoint going to be a system in place so you can make reparations?
Keep up the good work guys!

I saw "pirate content", and the rest of the post went fuzzy and out of focus. PIRATES! Time to purchase that season pass!

Very nice! Initially I had only planned to continue my existing save and play some additional content with the troupe I've built up. However, with the way reputation has been teased here, Career Mode becomes more and more attractive. I think this system will end up increasing replayability (in terms of restart attraction) quite a bit. :)

Question: Will merc tags factor into the Reputation system somehow, or is this a feature you might consider implementing at some point? Meaning that mechwarriors with a Faction tag could provide a small bonus for contract negotiation or reputation gain (or loss!), representing the commander capitalizing on their "cultural" knowledge? Or likewise, pilots triggering an Event where they might get fed up with their employer working for an arch-enemy of their former home, or even a conflict brewing between pilots of mutually hostile Factions, with dialogue options resulting in various outcomes?

The increased importance of the reputation system makes it sound like there's a lot of potential with regards to the backgrounds of our mechwarriors, especially if we aim to ally with a specific Faction. Could be an incentive to hire mercenaries with a specific background (read: tag)!

Oh my. This bodes very well for future content. Just with what I've seen in mods so far, I think the modding community will have much greater capability to put in some major overhauls that dare I say *might* give us some really juicy inner sphere wars type content?
They already have some IS war stuff going on where planets chance faction if I recall correctly, so this might make things even easier.
I am giddy for the end of November even moreso now. (already bought the season pass)
This just proved to me that HBS can and will keep this game going very well for years and keep adding in new things that will keep it replayable for MANY years to come.

Does this mean that the FULL Inner Sphere map will be available in one or both of the Modes?

mmmh... I don't think such a feature will stand a high chance to come true, as the full Inner Sphere is supposed to include more than 1,700 star systems - which, compared to the actual 173 ones shown in the Aurigan Reach's hololythic Star Map in our mercenary outfit's dropship navigation bridge, all of which are unlocked for unrestricted travel to once finished the single player's storyline campaing, or the upcoming career mode.

For this feature to happen, the developers should set up another 1,700 unique star system with the same options and level of details of the currently available ones - which is about ten times a work as the one done in designing the current 173 available system (i.e. a GARGANTUAN amount of work to do). I think much simpler and easier to drive a small wedge of Lyran-controlled star systems (4 to 8) between Free World League and the Capellan Confederation space border (maybe even by switching half of them from FWL and the other half from CC) and doing the same between the CC-FS space border for the Draconis Combine - or even more easily, leaving things as they are now... :D

mmmh... I don't think such a feature will stand a high chance to come true, as the full Inner Sphere is supposed to include more than 1,700 star systems - which, compared to the actual 173 ones shown in the Aurigan Reach's hololythic Star Map in our mercenary outfit's dropship navigation bridge, all of which are unlocked for unrestricted travel to once finished the single player's storyline campaing, or the upcoming career mode.

For this feature to happen, the developers should set up another 1,700 unique star system with the same options and level of details of the currently available ones - which is about ten times a work as the one done in designing the current 173 available system (i.e. a GARGANTUAN amount of work to do). I think much simpler and easier to drive a small wedge of Lyran-controlled star systems (4 to 8) between Free World League and the Capellan Confederation space border (maybe even by switching half of them from FWL and the other half from CC) and doing the same between the CC-FS space border for the Draconis Combine - or even more easily, leaving things as they are now... :D

I am not going to overly presume work, but I think the whole IS Map is already part of the games files. As for the Dataset, there already exists a full IS mod, which pulls its information from NBT, which in turn gets it from Sarna. So while it is work, I don't think it is GARGANTUAN. The only reason I bought it up was one of the HBS accounts mentioned 5 great Houses vs. the five powers on the rim ward side of the Inner Sphere.

I think how hard it will be to do all 5 great house alliances in one campaign depends on which are considered enemies. If it's the traditional neighbors are enemies, then it's doable (Steiner to Davion to Marik to Kurita to Liao, or similar). But if it's Davion and Steiner vs Kurita, Marik and Liao, then it's really time consuming to jump across to the other grouping.

I am not going to overly presume work, but I think the whole IS Map is already part of the games files. As for the Dataset, there already exists a full IS mod, which pulls its information from NBT, which in turn gets it from Sarna. So while it is work, I don't think it is GARGANTUAN. The only reason I bought it up was one of the HBS accounts mentioned 5 great Houses vs. the five powers on the rim ward side of the Inner Sphere.

Fair enough. However, all 5 Great Houses are represented in the contracts you can accept and the factions in play already. So nothing needs to be added in order to make them "available". On the other hand, there is work that would need to be done to change the starmap, set up the borders, etc in order to encompass the full Inner Sphere.