[Dev Team] 2.8.1 Patch Released (checksum dfce)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow, I haven't bought necroids yet, but why would I bother now if you guys give it one single patch then abandon it?
what would you like them to do with it? all it is is a couple of new species portraits, empire options, and a shipset.

• 2Like
Reactions:
@Alfray Stryke

I know I've asked before, but as the question has not yet been answered I'd like to reiterate my query.

Would it be possible to get a minor patch to address easily fixable issues...

Sorry, not my place to decide our patching schedule. :)

Is the stellaris_test branch in Steam now obsolete? Should we switch back to normal? Or are there some additional beta patches expected to come in the near future?

Currently the release branch is more up-to-date than stellaris_test, although I will of course appreciate any more feedback in the AI megathread.

Reactions:
Sorry, not my place to decide our patching schedule. :)

Thank you for the response. Given that, I would instead urge you to relay on to whomever makes those decisions that there would be many who would appreciated a minor 2.8.2 to address remaining issues so that they have the information to make these decisions in a manner more informed with player feedback.

You've been highly responsive, which I laud, so thanks once again. You're doing a good job.

Reactions:
I think in general it would be nice if Paradox would budget for 3-4 minor releases after a patch instead of 1-2, even if the .3/.4 is just a small set of bugfixes 6-8 weeks after a DLC release. I understand that some bugs can take a long time to fix and others may be rendered obsolete by work in progress, but it does feel like we only got halfway there before the devs moved onto the next thing - not just with 2.8 but with almost all major patch releases (across paradox).

At least Stellaris has somewhat regular major patch releases. Some games like Cities: Skylines go eight months between DLC (and thus bugfixes).

• 2Like
Reactions:
Under "AI" there's the following point: "Massively sped up all types of purging, with the crisis factions now purging 2 pops per month."
It was under AI, so does it apply to AI empires and crisis factions only? Or only crisis faction?
Or maybe also player empires? Since it would be weird if AI and player would have different purging speeds, but it was under "AI".

Under "AI" there's the following point: "Massively sped up all types of purging, with the crisis factions now purging 2 pops per month."
It was under AI, so does it apply to AI empires and crisis factions only? Or only crisis faction?
Or maybe also player empires? Since it would be weird if AI and player would have different purging speeds, but it was under "AI".
From other posts on the forum, it sounds like it applies to player empires as well. Though there's also a bug where Neutering got slower, but other purges were sped up.

Reactions:
what would you like them to do with it? all it is is a couple of new species portraits, empire options, and a shipset.

well, when I read posts like this,

Necrophage purge being broken if your race gets modified isn't fixed? It basically breaks half of the content of the new DLC.

it sure seems that at least a 2.8.2 for simple fixes would be warranted. Why would I buy the DLC if a lot of it is still broken? I'll pass.

Reactions:
It is indeed strange that after asking for feedback on the beta patch and receiving quite extensive reports about sector and, even more importantly, Crisis AI, the patch was released with no changes as final for the cycle. Developer replies suggest they hope to investigate the reports in time for the 2.9 cycle, but depending on when 2.9 is going to be released, that's still may be a very slow pace.

Reactions:
It is indeed strange that after asking for feedback on the beta patch and receiving quite extensive reports about sector and, even more importantly, Crisis AI, the patch was released with no changes as final for the cycle. Developer replies suggest they hope to investigate the reports in time for the 2.9 cycle, but depending on when 2.9 is going to be released, that's still may be a very slow pace.

I think they actually need to explain -If this is what PDS are doing.

A small amount of fixes post DLC and a weak description to Sector AI changes just saying "oh we updated the scripts". And the feed back is still on-going on the other thread, it is a pretty 'crappy' way to do things and will only confuse the existing feedback with the new feedback.

Personally I'll be leaving my foray into the PDS franchise if that's it until the next significant update/DLC. Poor, poor way to do things and says a lot how they work and made much worse by the communication around it.

I can see why people get frustrated by them, nothing is ever "Properly finished" - what kind of studio are you running Mr "Game Director" ? At least make sure this is communicated properly to the community that are happy to use their own time to do QA for you.

Last edited:
  • 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The lack of a patch to at a minimum fix the breach of galactic law not working [a major feature for high-level Federations DLC] is also a real bummer for me, as I was hoping to star up a campaign a week from now after I finish the semester for my teaching licensure classes. But with such a key feature broken, I feel like I need to hold off, which is a pity.

Indeed, something I really like going for in the game won't work until its fixed. I'm a fan of pushing for The Greater Good to put slavers in perpetual breach of galactic law. This eventually encourages them to leave the Galactic Community, at which point I take advantage of also having pushed through Renegade Containment Doctrine to declare total war on them and to defeat the slavers and their allies completely in one grand war of galactic liberation.

Obviously, this breaks down if they can never be in breach because being in breach no longer works, and it thus denies such emergent stories from being realized in game until it is fixed.

As such, to reiterate, I urge to you put out a 2.8.2 or even just a single-fix unnumbered patch to at least fix the breach of galactic law issue.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
It looks like here we see the flaw of the system where time/resources to fix issues are strictly limited regardless of what the remaining issues are.

• 3Like
Reactions:
* Fixed a layering issue with Necroid Portrait 11.
* Fixed a black face-tentacle on a Necroid Portrait to have color.

Is there any possibility you could fix the other portraits that have issues like this? Reptilian Slender #1 (the white one specifically) has layering issues with some clothing, and two variants of Lithoid #13 (Exo) has patches of black on it. Those are just two I can think off the top of my head but there may be a third lurking around. I'd by lying if I said I wasn't picking these options because of these graphical issues, and I'd certainly love to!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think the quick release of 2.8.1 into the stable branch is simple to explain: it contained critical fix for mod support.

I think the quick release of 2.8.1 into the stable branch is simple to explain: it contained critical fix for mod support.
I don't think anyone has an issue with 2.8.1 being released as 'stable' though; the issue is the suggestion in the OP that this will be the final patch for 2.8 barring some new critical bug being found. People don't want to wait several months to see more AI improvement when it seemed like we were finally getting some movement.

Reactions:
I don't think anyone has an issue with 2.8.1 being released as 'stable' though; the issue is the suggestion in the OP that this will be the final patch for 2.8 barring some new critical bug being found. People don't want to wait several months to see more AI improvement when it seemed like we were finally getting some movement.
I'm surprised that didn't generate more discontent from the forum hive mind. I guess it still has the "developers asked for feedback" happiness modifier.

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions: