[Dev Team] 2.8.1 Beta Patch Updated (checksum dfce)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You said "* Massively sped up all types of purging, with the crisis factions now purging 2 pops per month. ". Well, now I can't purge, period. Fanatic Purifier, Determined Exterminator, Devouring Hive and Purifying Necrophage are all having problems. First, their boost is gone so pops are only declining 5 per month (50 for purging necrophage when I don't have any modes enabled) not at the correct rate of 20 a month. Second, when the count hits 100, instead of moving on to the next pop, the counter keeps going (105, 110, 115, etc). I was playing (correction, trying to play) a DH build, I didn't notice that the counter had gotten up to 250.

I have 115 mods running and I have checked them all to the best of my ability, even ones that don't have anything to do with purging. Nothing corrects the decline progress, the going over 100 issue.

I am running the 2.8.1 beta which, with no mods active, is purging pops at 50 a month (while fast, is not correct).

If I revert back to 2.8.0 with no mods active (because I want to test the problem this century), I do see the correct purge progress rate of 20 a month and does actually purge them (not continue counting).

So, would it be too much to ask that Paradox actually tests their software before rolling out updates and patches? Speaking as a Software Engineer, this is ridiculous.

You said "* Massively sped up all types of purging, with the crisis factions now purging 2 pops per month. ". Well, now I can't purge, period. Fanatic Purifier, Determined Exterminator, Devouring Hive and Purifying Necrophage are all having problems. First, their boost is gone so pops are only declining 5 per month (50 for purging necrophage when I don't have any modes enabled) not at the correct rate of 20 a month. Second, when the count hits 100, instead of moving on to the next pop, the counter keeps going (105, 110, 115, etc). I was playing (correction, trying to play) a DH build, I didn't notice that the counter had gotten up to 250.

I have 115 mods running and I have checked them all to the best of my ability, even ones that don't have anything to do with purging. Nothing corrects the decline progress, the going over 100 issue.

At this point I'd normally ask what the results are if you have no mods enabled.

I am running the 2.8.1 beta which, with no mods active, is purging pops at 50 a month (while fast, is not correct).

But since you've given us some data - 50 purge progress per month is 2 months per pop, which is the correct purge rate for both Displacement and Necrophage purging, if you were using one these, there's no issue here. If on the other hand, you are using one of the other purge types, there's an issue.

More importantly, with no mods enabled, are pops actually purged?

If purge progress for pops continues to grow, past 100 progress, without any pops being purged while all mods are disabled (in a save file that did not have mods enabled), can you please submit a bug report with a save attached.

If I revert back to 2.8.0 with no mods active (because I want to test the problem this century), I do see the correct purge progress rate of 20 a month and does actually purge them (not continue counting).

Yes, the purge rate in 2.8.0 is slower than 2.8.1, as the patch notes stated. The expected purge rates are, Extermination is 2 pops per month, Labour Camps, Processing and Chemical Processing 1 pop per month, Displacement and Necrophage as stated above are 1 pop per 2 months.

Again, if these are not the values you are obtaining in-game (with no mods enabled), there is an issue and I'd appreciate a bug report with a save.

• 1Like
Reactions:
@Alfray Stryke

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but you've been fairly responsive, so I figured it was worth a shot:

For a long time now, Democracies (and Oligarchies) have had a bug that causes your initial ruler to disappear forever if they ever lose ANY election (often but not always the very first one).

What's extra frustrating is that PDX once fixed it, and even had it in its patch notes at the time, but then re-broke it and never got it fixed again.

Another user on the forum claims they have a ready-made fix for it, so while it would of course would need to be reviewed by you guys to make sure it doesn't accidentally break anything else, it seems to be a really easy fix for you to make. I'll link their fix below.

I myself love playing the UNE and get frustrated when Delores Muwanga disappears forever if she loses an election. Others feel the same about their own democratic leaders. Just today I had to tell someone on /r/stellaris that this bug was still in the game, and they were a person who described the situation as such: "but there was a bug almost a year ago that caused your starting leader to vanish mysteriously if they ever lost an election. This is absolutely heartbreaking, because my starting leader is super cute and I think it's only right that she obtain functional immortality"

I hope that we can finally fix this. Can you speak to those in charge and see if this bug can be re-fixed?

Reactions:
Yes, the disappearing leaders are a big problem for us RPers who love democracy and love our glorious leaders, and this bug has been around a long long time. Please help us out, devs!

Reactions:
One bug I've noticed with the new purging is that if the Crisis (I've seen it with the Contigency, not sure about the Prethoryn) purges an "off" number of pops, it doesn't get the planet; instead the planet just becomes decolonized.
By "off" I mean that if there are two pops left on the planet at the end of the month, and both die, the Crisis doesn't get the planet. If there are one, the Crisis assimilates the planet correctly. This shouldn't be a major issue for the Scourge (if it happens to them at all), who can just colonize the newly decolonized planet, but it does screw over the Contingency.

Reactions:
For a long time now, Democracies (and Oligarchies) have had a bug that causes your initial ruler to disappear forever if they ever lose ANY election (often but not always the very first one).

I've added this is to list of issues to investigate.

One bug I've noticed with the new purging is that if the Crisis (I've seen it with the Contigency, not sure about the Prethoryn) purges an "off" number of pops, it doesn't get the planet; instead the planet just becomes decolonized.
By "off" I mean that if there are two pops left on the planet at the end of the month, and both die, the Crisis doesn't get the planet. If there are one, the Crisis assimilates the planet correctly. This shouldn't be a major issue for the Scourge (if it happens to them at all), who can just colonize the newly decolonized planet, but it does screw over the Contingency.

Can you file a bug report for this with a save that reproduces the issue?

• 8Like
Reactions:
@Alfray Stryke

Thank you so much! I hope you guys can fix it.

I'll also take a moment to bring to your attention to an issues I've read about on the /r/stellaris forums. Unlike the bug I previously reported, this is a secondhand report on my part, but I'll link to the original post from the person who did encounter it, and they seem not to be the only ones:

In short, it appears that being in breach of galactic law isn't currently working correctly - empires that should be in breach aren't, according to their posts.

This is reinforced by a comment on the post, that says "From what I can tell, people can't be in breach of galactic law right now. I think its a bug".
I don't know if these users were using any mods, unfortunately, but it may be worth looking into, as breaches of galactic law often tie into higher end Federations DLC resolutions at the Galactic Community.

@Alfray Stryke

Thank you so much! I hope you guys can fix it.

I'll also take a moment to bring to your attention to an issues I've read about on the /r/stellaris forums. Unlike the bug I previously reported, this is a secondhand report on my part, but I'll link to the original post from the person who did encounter it, and they seem not to be the only ones:

In short, it appears that being in breach of galactic law isn't currently working correctly - empires that should be in breach aren't, according to their posts.

This is reinforced by a comment on the post, that says "From what I can tell, people can't be in breach of galactic law right now. I think its a bug".
I don't know if these users were using any mods, unfortunately, but it may be worth looking into, as breaches of galactic law often tie into higher end Federations DLC resolutions at the Galactic Community.

Can you file a bug report for this in the dedicated sub forum? :)

• 2Haha
Reactions:
So, regarding the Democratic Election bug, the person who posted the fix mentioned some extra details on how their fixed worked that show a somewhat imperfect nature to it (https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ts-a-leader-on-election.1442197/post-27105773), so it probably can'tt be used verbatim but given that PDX solved this before in an earlier version I'd imagine the bug should still [hopefully] be easily fixable now that its been put on their QA's radar [thank you again!]. After all, PDX could probably reuse the fix they used the last time.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Okay... wow. Leaving aside the nasty bug that caused mods to stop working with 2.8, I'm really impressed with how load times have improved. I commented earlier on a previous thread that I don't have a high end laptop, and with dozens of mods it took something like 40-50 minutes to load.

I just loaded a similar amount of mods (with real space/New frontiers swapped for planetary diversity because it's a smaller overall size), and it took 7 in a half minutes. Kudos to you guys! I hope that can be maintained. Looking forward to see how well it works within the game :)

EDIT, I jumped the gun here. When I posted it, I didn't check to see if all the mods worked, and it turned out that any mods I had before 2.8 wouldn't work, and because it was late, I couldn't fix it. I just did though, and a more accurate loading time would be about 21 minutes, so about half the time, which isn't bad. Just not as good as I thought last night

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I've added this is to list of issues to investigate.

Can you file a bug report for this with a save that reproduces the issue?

The problem has been known for a long time . Initial rulers aren't given a prior job so they can't return to anything. If you fix their initialization to provide a role, they don't disappear. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...tarting-leader-doesnt-return-to-pool.1188131/

Reactions:
I haven't explored it personally as I play oligarchies most of the time. From the descriptions I've seen, it is a pretty trivial fix. I can probably take some time tomorrow to confirm.

If you do find a fix that works [especially a simple one that doesn't induce unintended behaviors] please let us [the community + PDX know]. The fix from someone else I cited earlier in the thread, for example, technically clones and deletes the original when the issue arises, according to their subsequent response, which can trigger a "leader elected" message at the start of game that isn't normally supposed to be there, if I understand correctly. Granted, that is better than the leader glitch, but its not a 100% fix as such, for it introduces a smaller "bug" in its place.

Reactions:
If you do find a fix that works [especially a simple one that doesn't induce unintended behaviors] please let us [the community + PDX know]. The fix from someone else I cited earlier in the thread, for example, technically clones and deletes the original when the issue arises, according to their subsequent response, which can trigger a "leader elected" message at the start of game that isn't normally supposed to be there, if I understand correctly. Granted, that is better than the leader glitch, but its not a 100% fix as such, for it introduces a smaller "bug" in its place.

It looks like a single line addition to 00_governments.txt and probably won't fix games already in progress. I haven't tested it yet and can't tonight.

Below is a file fragment with the addition:
Code:
# Representative Democracy
gov_representative_democracy = {
    ruler_title = RT_PRESIDENT
    ruler_title_female = RT_PRESIDENT_FEMALE

leader_class = governor     # <-- this is the line that needs to get added; leader_class is where the leader will go if not re-elected

possible = {
        has_authority = auth_democratic
    }

weight = {
        base = 1
    }
}

Reactions: