[Dev Team] 2.4.0 (Lee) Patch Released [checksum 2226]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jamor

PDS Producer
78 Badges
Mar 7, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
Hi all, Jamor here, with some news for you just before our biggest event of the year, PDXCON.

Today we are releasing version 2.4.0 “Lee”. The primary objective of this version is to get our new Paradox launcher in to Stellaris:

ScreenHunter 55.png

Why are we doing this? There are two main reasons: Firstly, as you know, Stellaris is available on Steam, Paradoxplaza, GOG, and as of today, the Microsoft Store. Currently, there are hoops that someone has to jump through if they want to do a multiplayer game with users on another platform, involving opting in to beta branches. Our long term goal is to unite all Paradox gamers under one universal MP umbrella, so everyone can play with anyone they want at any time, on any release platform, with a minimum of fuss. To do that, a single unified launcher for all our of various platforms is a key prerequisite (just to clarify, this is the end goal, it does not change how you play Stellaris in multiplayer today). The launcher also has its own dedicated personnel which means it is a time saver for each game team at Paradox, letting us focus exclusively on making and improving the game itself. As a producer, I gotta tell ya, anything that lets us focus more on our core mission is most welcome.

The second big reason for the move is that this new launcher will become a much more feature-rich hub for all things related to the game. We plan improved presentation of announcements and dev diaries, mod management with player control over load order, mod support for non-Steam users via PDX Mods, the works. A low key but nice convenience feature that's in right now is the addition of a “resume last save” button right at the top, letting you start up your most recent game with one click. Our ambitions for it are high.

Here’s some more details from my colleague Anders, the Product Manager for Launcher Team:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/about-the-paradox-launcher.1254011/

The launcher has benefitted from user feedback from prior releases on other PDS games, and will be continually developed by the launcher team. In that regard your input is very helpful. It is self patching, which means updates to the launcher can be deployed without the game version needing to change. It is a separate binary that is used by all PDX games employing it, meaning it only installs once per computer.

Without diminishing the effort of the core dev team working on <redacted>, we were also able to incorporate some fixes from the development branch, which are included in 2.4.0:

*edit: some items in the patch notes were included in error, I'm crossing those out. They'll be put in at the soonest opportunity where we can get them merged and tested safely.

#################################################################
######################### VERSION 2.4.0 ##########################
#################################################################

###################
# General
###################

* Added Launcher v2
* Updated all factions titans with panning light meshes. Updated vfx for ether drake’s wing attack (muzzle, projectile, hit effect)
* Caravaneer ship & station vfx update
* Added "/mute <user name>" and "/unmute <user name>" chat commands
* Cloud saving support added on GoG and Paradoxplaza versions of the game

###################
# Balance
###################

* Hunter-Seeker Drone jobs now have a preference for pops who would actually be good at it
* The Pop Growth Reduction for Bio-Trophies now actually reduces their growth rate. Driven Assimilators now apply their organic growth penalty as a multiplier the same way as Rogue Servitors do, and is now also 50%
* Defensive Platforms placed on Outposts now provide 2 points of Piracy Suppression for their system. The Great Game tradition from the Supremacy tree now also reduces the cost to build Defensive Platforms by 33%

###################
# UI
###################

* Shift+clicking on ship count in the Fleet Manager now adds ships up to the nearest unit of ten, using ctrl fills up to the template max size
* Fixed improperly displayed text in the name of Galatron wars
* Protection war name list no longer includes machine uprising and war in heaven
* Removed unnecessary decimal precision in lacking resources tooltips
* Added some tooltips to the planet screen: close button, decisions, tab buttons, garrison and armies, planetary features
* Added a notification when one empire guarantees the independence of another
* Added a defense army icon to the Stronghold and Fortress buildings to help visually identify their effect, and updated the garrison tooltip
* Fixed a cut off display of the clearing cost for ruined arcology blockers
* Fixed incorrectly reversed "they get" and "we get" information showed in commercial pacts

###################
# AI
###################

* The AI will now look at several Edicts and try to enact one of them, whilst still remembering the one they want the most and save towards enacting that
* AI will now wait at least a year before attempting to propose the same diplomacy deal to the same target
* Fixed AI not building enough defense platforms
* Automated building now checks that upkeep cost is covered by income

###################
# Stability
###################

* Improved performance by reducing the number of string copies in modifiers
* Parallelized some planet functions
* Optimized calculations done in frame rendering
* Bunch of caching and optimizations to planet job calculations
* Fixed a slowdown when viewing the slave market

###################
# Bugfixes
###################

* Fixed an incorrect scripted trigger which could sometimes result in the deletion of research labs when upgraded
* Fixed literally unplayable "the the" typo in ancrel.23.desc
* Fixed empires that have outlawed slavery not emancipating slaves on planets they conquer
* Fixed a possible crash when a planet has no pops
* Fixed an instant repair exploit when you dismantle a starbase module while it's under attack
* Fixed a bug that could cause rivalry declarations and closed borders enacted by you to make you instead the target of those things from the other empire
* Removed an exploit where when transferring, merging, and transferring ships again while paused, one could cheekily cause them to become invisible and untargetable in combat
* Fixed an overflow bug with relative empire power calculations
* Removed incorrect ability to completely depopulate primitive planets with raiding bombardment stance
* Fixed nonfunctional modifiers to colony ship build cost
* Fixed a potential crash in AI when evaluating market values
* Odd Factories no longer sometimes block pops from getting purged, because you monsters should be free to purge whatever you want

Please note that save file compatibility between versions is not guaranteed. If you have an important 2.3.3 game going, please roll back to that version before trying to load the save in 2.4.

Instructions on how to keep playing on older versions here.

You can also use this method to opt in to the stellaris_test branch on Steam, which is necessary for multiplayer cross play between Steam and the other stores we are available on.

Stand by for the big reveal of <redacted> October 19th on the big stage at PDXCON, along with more fixes and improvements from the main dev branch as they get tested and merged. In the meantime, happy gaming, and you’ll hear from us again soon.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The Pop Growth Reduction for Bio-Trophies now actually reduces their growth rate. Driven Assimilators now apply their organic growth penalty as a multiplier the same way as Rogue Servitors do, and is now also 50%
FINALLY! Any word on making Machine Empires able to separately control the pop growth of meat vs metal the way normal empires can?
The Great Game tradition from the Supremacy tree now also reduces the cost to build Defensive Platforms by 33%
I didn't even know I needed this until I got it.
Fixed empires that have outlawed slavery not emancipating slaves on planets they conquer
That was a weird one. "Are we free now?" "Well yes, but actually, no."

Surprised to see 2.4 come out so soon. I'm guessing the 'big' patch will be 2.4.X, then?

Why is there no fix for the broken modifier weapon_type_strike_craft_weapon_damage_mult? Its used in the repeatable tech for strikecraft damage, increases combat strength, but has NO effect on strikecraft damage at all.

Furthermore, strikecraft are not affected by any modifiers other than weapon_type_strike_craft_weapon_fire_rate_mult. The most common modifiers are : ship fire rate (used by admiral skill levels and traits, command centers, starbase 50% fire rate bonus, fanatical purifiers bonus, etc), weapon damage (some traits and civics, mainly the exterminators civic) and home territory fire rate (tradition, ambitions, etc). This creates a balancing problem as while a normal ship can easily achieve more than +100% fire rate in end game, strikecraft get nothing.

Pretty sure this has been reported years ago.

I know the team is hard at work, but can we get any comment on the massive slowdown the game experiences around mid- to late-game on larger universes?

I play with a bunch of buddies, and the larger universe sizes feels like the best fit for our playstyle, but at some point the entire game creaks to a stop, even though we all have recent-build gaming PCs.

I was worried that the update to add a new launcher for this game would make it have the same bland background as eu4's new launcher, looking at the screenshot it looks great! I am going to miss the old launcher though.

* Shift+clicking on ship count in the Fleet Manager now adds ships up to the nearest unit of ten, using ctrl fills up to the template max size
Yes! Glad to see a much-requested change implemented.

Yes! Glad to see a much-requested change implemented.
Oh my god, I didn't even notice this! This is awesome!
Automated building now checks that upkeep cost is covered by income
This too! No more sectors plunging you to -999 motes the moment you unlock better forges, I'm guessing?

* The Pop Growth Reduction for Bio-Trophies now actually reduces their growth rate. Driven Assimilators now apply their organic growth penalty as a multiplier the same way as Rogue Servitors do, and is now also 50%

1. What does that mean? If I have a rapid breeder Species, does it grow with 60% speed or with 55% speed?

* Hunter-Seeker Drone jobs now have a preference for pops who would actually be good at it

2. What traits do increase the effectiveness of Hunter-Seeker Drones?

I know the team is hard at work, but can we get any comment on the massive slowdown the game experiences around mid- to late-game on larger universes?

Did you not see?

###################
# Stability
###################

* Improved performance by reducing the number of string copies in modifiers
* Parallelized some planet functions
* Optimized calculations done in frame rendering
* Bunch of caching and optimizations to planet job calculations
* Fixed a slowdown when viewing the slave market

Looks like they are plugging away at various performance costing tidbits wherever they can find them.

1. What does that mean? If I have a rapid beeder Species, does it grow with 60% speed or with 55% speed?
I imagine it'd additive like most stuff, so 60%.
2. What traits do increase the effectiveness of Hunter-Seeker Drones?
Probably army-boosters. Strong, Very Strong, Weak provides negative preference, Resilient for the Defense Army. In normal empires I've noticed pops take the Enforcer job following this pattern, seems Hunter-Seeker will do the same now.

If you have incompatible mods, a window pops out telling you whats incompatible, if you have infinite incompatible mods, the window is infinitely long with no scroll.

For those with lots of mods is there a chance of sorting mods alphabetically? Or searching? No? Please?

The one thing that bugs me with the new launcher is that you have to launch the game before you get a popup warning that some or in this case all Mods are outdated.

Still no fixes for AI empires always using selective bombardment stance no matter the empire type (like exterminator and such) ?

Don´t this make sense since they have to purge the POP:s on the planet to get their unity bonus. I know it makes fortress worlds sort of OP but against normal planets it makes sense to not kill/destroy everything from orbit even for a genocidal Empire.