[Dev Team] 1.3.1 Hotfix Released [checksum f1f9]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wanted to share my experience from the last 3 hours of game crashing, re-installing and finally bug hunting. I found the reason for the crashs...

When changing on a fresh installed game with no mods the graphic settings to "Low" preset or specifically "shadow details" to "disabled" (the option above 1024x1024) the game will crash in loading screen.

you can fix it in pdx_settings.txt in C:\Users\%username%\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Imperator
change "shadowmap_resolution" from value="disabled" to value="1024x1024" then your game will start again.

you're welcome. :)

@Paradox / @egladil
regarding forum post "1.3 Crash on Startup"

a small thank you would have been nice :)

Last edited:
I am gonna be honest. This patch(1.3 itself) shows that every patch should go into open beta.
There are so many embarrassing bugs such as your own troops setting fire to your own province while drilling.
With an open beta they would've been caught easily. QA is useless for this game in a wider context. I mean sure they can look into hot stuff in your office and whatever, but generally they miss so much stuff it's questionable why you release patches without open beta at this point.

Is there any plans on fixing the exact same stuttering issues that we had before? Since they got introduced in 1.3. For me that breaks the game and I don't even want to start it while it remains :(.

I am gonna be honest. This patch(1.3 itself) shows that every patch should go into open beta.
There are so many embarrassing bugs such as your own troops setting fire to your own province while drilling.
With an open beta they would've been caught easily. QA is useless for this game in a wider context. I mean sure they can look into hot stuff in your office and whatever, but generally they miss so much stuff it's questionable why you release patches without open beta at this point.

I work as a software developer. Seems to me Paradox completely disregard the golden opportunity they have as a company with a loyal following. What they can do with several weeks of open beta in terms of QA is absolutely insane to what a regular software company can do with an in-house and/or third party QA team.... Usually you need to HIRE and/or PAY people for that.

Not just in terms of finding bugs, but balance as well (which is extremely important). A sandbox strategy game like Imperator requires people who are familiar and have passion for it to play it and guess what - Paradox have exactly that. It baffles my mind how they felt comfortable releasing 1.3 in such a state that the community found incredibly silly and obvious bugs WITHIN MINUTES of the update going live.