• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dev Diary #92 - Orders of Magnitude

Hello there!

We are already more than halfway through July, and we are already at the third of the five rogue Dev Diaries we will have. For this week’s Dev Diary, we are going to talk about Holy Orders, and the small changes being made to them.

I am going to start off with clarifying that Holy Orders are NOT going to be made playable. The changes are made so you can interact with them in new ways, not for you to play as them. The game is still focused on dynasties, and that has not changed with Holy Fury. Another thing I want to note, is that all these changes to Holy Order are part of the patch to Holy Fury, and not part of the expansion. In other words, you will not have to pay for them.

And as always, certain things might change before the release of Holy Fury.

Clipboard01.png

With their own government form rather than being Feudal, it is easier for us to treat them as their own entities, and not having the player awkwardly inherit one of them, with all their own quirks and special focuses. They should be easier to distinguish from a normal Feudal character as well, now that they have their own frames rather than the Feudal blue.

Clipboard01.png

Some of the other Christian Holy Orders have received decisions for forming and vassalizing them as well, in addition to the old decisions for the Knights Hospitaller and the Knights Templar. In the example above, you can see the decision to vassalize the Knights of Calatrava, and we have added similar ones for the Knights of Santiago, the Teutonic Order and the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre.

A new limitation we have added, is that you can only vassalize 1 Holy Order at a time with these decisions. This was to make sure we didn’t have one player changing religions and trying to capture all of them. This is Crusader Kings 2, after all, not Pokémon.

Clipboard02.png

If you have vassalized a Holy Order and they don’t find you fit to rule anymore, they will leave your service. They will return any land they hold that you are the De Jure Lord of, so with that in mind you usually shouldn’t lose large swathes of land if a Holy Order leaves your service. Though I would recommend staying on friendly terms with them.

Clipboard03.png

For the Knights Hospitaller, they can now ask a ruler conquering an island in the mediterranean to donate it to the order. We have added a similar event for the Teutonics in the north, replacing the old event where they asked for a single county.

Clipboard04.png

... So that is all for today!

Hopefully the Holy Orders will be a tad more interesting with some of these changes. Next week we will take a look at… Let me take a look at my notes here… “Shepherds, zealous kids and Venetians burning down Byzantium”? Surely that’ll be exciting news!

Last edited:
I was waiting for that dev diary, spamming F5 lol.

Not as destructive to my mod as I was fearing. I'll need to tweak my Holy Order government, but it will still be useful for my special holy orders alongside the official one. There might even be some new government tools in there.

Will we be able to make the Holy Orders playable through modding? And is such a change also applied to regular mercenaries companies?

"Prepare Reconquest War" Oooooooooooh
"Shepherds, zealous kids and Venetians burning down Byzantium”? Surely that’ll be exciting news!" 4th Crusade confirmed?!

Seems a pretty good addition. But how much are the random and shattered maps still in development? like are they almost done or is the development of them not even started?

Nice to see some love for holy orders, makes sense given the general focus of the update and expansion.

Will you also be able to vassalize the Holy Orders of other religions? Say vassalize the Knights of the Sun as the Zunbils.

Some of the other Christian Holy Orders have received decisions for forming and vassalizing them as well, in addition to the old decisions for the Knights Hospitaller and the Knights Templar. In the example above, you can see the decision to vassalize the Knights of Calatrava, and we have added similar ones for the Knights of Santiago, the Teutonic Order and the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre.

Can we have the Knights of Avis as well pleeeeease? :rolleyes:

Please tell me that we can still make mods that allow playable mercenary companies or Holy Orders ! Playing landless Grandmaster still stands one of my all time favourite campaigns ever !

Not Pokémon, are you sure?
Knights Templar, I choose you.

How and when does the teutonic knights become the teutonic state? Also holy orders should ignore not being dejure lieges but also not ever drift land into themselves. Plus it'd be cool if there was a rare event in the last century where the teutonic state secularized to the largest koingdom it can hold.
Oh and will the Livonian Order be around?
So Jerusalem(Kingdom of Jerusalem) will not have 2 Holy Orders? :-(
Well they will certainly aid you but you will only be able to the liege of one of them. Think of it as which one of them you align yourself with.