• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(90310)

Banned
1 Badges
Jan 3, 2008
  • Hearts of Iron III
Welcome to this weeks Development Diary.

In issue #9, I’m going to introduce you to the remodeled Air War Combat mechanics, as well as to the radar and AntiAir system.

As you maybe recognized from earlier diaries, air superiority has become a much more important aspect of the game. As your country becomes quickly defenseless in terms of a lacking interceptor or fighter grid, your industrial centers will lie wide open to any strategic bomber force which is now capable to literally bomb you back into the stone age (remember the new infrastructure slider).

But interceptors alone are very inefficient. They have no eyes and no ears without a working radar coverage and intelligence reconnaissance. Radar stations dispersed among one’s own territory are now linked together in an invisible network to guide Planes on Air Superiority Missions towards enemy bomber and fighter groups.

Radar now directly improves the effectiveness of AntiAir. AA guns are now a valuable part of a nations air defense as they do more direct damage to planes flying over them. They also reduce the damage a bomber squadron can actually do to a province by forcing them to fly higher - the result of this is that they miss a lot of targets due to less accuracy because of the greater altitudes.

dd91.jpg

To avoid massive quick rebasing like in previous HoI versions, we introduced a "negative organization" modifier. You get, depending on distance, an organization malus for every rebasing.

Planes who are disorganized are not able to perform any missions or rebasing - you’ll have to wait until they are organized again. This concept tries to model the need to transport spare parts, engineers and the whole logistics and support infrastructure. It tries to avoid the rebasing of complete bomber fleets in unrealistic short time frames, e.g. a thousand bombers from the pacific to Europe in 24 hours. We also added a fix that you are no more able to give orders, like cancel mission, to planes who are currently engaged in combat. This exploit had lead to to much frustration in previous Multiplayer games and should now be corrected.

dd93.jpg

What comes in pretty handy for bombing with planes and also with rockets is our new dispersion and force distribution concept. No more will all bomber planes attack a single stack and avoid all the others around him – they will now split up according to the best chances a unit has in engaging different ground targets.

So for example, the CAS stack will aim for the single ARM division, while those nice Tactical Bombers are engaging a big horde of lightly armed militia infantry in the neighboring province.

dd94.jpg

When choosing Industrial or Strategic Bombardments with V1 or V2 rockets, you will quickly notice that they will spread nearly evenly on the industrial centers and important backbones of an enemy country. This comes in very handy for late war gameplay as the handling is now severely simplified.

When the enemy now approaches an airfield, planes automatically rebase themselves to a near and safe airport.

As mentioned in earlier DD’s, we changed the way “Runway Cratering” works (as it is now Airfield strike and does damage planes stationed on the field), added the “Industrial Bombardment” Mission and also added to the “Logistical Strike” the addition that it destroys the carried supply stock of a unit. As mentioned “Strategic Bombardment” now serves as a combination of attacks on all kinds of provincial targets with no special preference.

Being the same as with naval units, you are now able to select for all missions the scale of operation, e.g. be it a single province, an area or a region. And you can now also set it on an infinite running length.

The Combat Mechanics themselves have been slightly tweaked, as now more variables are taken into account for determining a winner. Of course all modifiers and values for this can be found and edited in the misc.txt file.

dd92.jpg

I hope I could give you a little insight into the new Air Warfare System. Stay tuned for next weeks episode of our DevDiary when I will talk about the remodeled Artificial Intelligence (AI).

To show you what we are currently developing, I attached a small eye candy of the so called new "National Ideas" with settings from Germany.

dd95candy.jpg

Can you do so that planes on air superiority actually take off and fly to engage enemy bombers while those enter the area instead of wandering randomly in the assigned area like they do now?

Looks great, I particuarily like the new & improved strategic and logistic bombing options and the AA/radar bonues. I always build loads of static AA & radar as I think it add to the historic nature of the game but it's always been a bit of a waste until now.

One point - will the 'do not fly below 50% organisation' work properly now and will ignored planes not get completely destroyed because they continue to fly well under this limit? This applies especially to the AI as they are usually toasted by there own actions.

Hmm, while I like the idea of radar guidance and targeting specific provinces I´m a little sceptical about two other points:

1. Rebasing is impossible while low on org? I can understand that travelling great distances with a huge amount of planes isn´t easily done, but I´m afraid this will somewhat add to micromanagement.
2. Planes will automatically rebase when the airfield is attacked? Even when on low org? I would like at least a small chance of planes being caught and destroyed on the ground. This chance could be increased for tricksters.

As for the other changes: I´m definately looking forward for THE game!

Hmm, while I like the idea of radar guidance and targeting specific provinces I´m a little sceptical about two other points:

1. Rebasing is impossible while low on org? I can understand that travelling great distances with a huge amount of planes isn´t easily done, but I´m afraid this will somewhat add to micromanagement.
2. Planes will automatically rebase when the airfield is attacked? Even when on low org? I would like at least a small chance of planes being caught and destroyed on the ground. This chance could be increased for tricksters.

Rebasing impossible with low org seems great and logical. And it probably applies to aircraft on attacked airfield. ie the first time you can flee, but if you cannot reorganize quickly enough on the second airfield and the panzers are coming, then bye-bye...

Which is a quite accurate modelization of what happened in France in 1940...

I suppose (hope) that the minimum org to allow rebasing will drop with some air techs... :)

A quick question regarding air transports: will it be possible to transport infantry divisions (not only paras) from a friendly airport to another one...?

Looks great. Glad you're making radar and AA useful for a change. :p

Looks neat. It'll be nice to have the air war be more fun.

So, ethnicity will play a role in the game?

Are we even allowed to discuss it? :rofl:

I imagine it will have an effect on national provinces. For example, the social policy "Ethnic Focus" might give bigger bonuses to National provinces but penalties to non-national, and maybe greater partisan activity. Stuff like that, rather than actual culture effects (since province culture isn't in the game, for obvious reasons).

I just have one simple question:

Does air combat still end up in dogpiling single decisive battle that determines air supremacy for quite some time or will it actually take some time to pummel fighter squadrons to actually be truly short on planes and the requirement to be grounded due attrition?

Dogpiling doesn't work in the air any more, for similar reasons to those on land, but more so :)

Amazing. I <3 AoD.

National ideas! Yay! I have a question, though: can they be changed? If so, what are the repercussions for doing so?

Also: how many NIs are there?

And: Are NI limited by slider settings? A fully open society probably wouldn't support Ethnic Nationalism.

This concept actually has a lot of potential, I hope you will build on it further when patches/expansions/enhancements come along.

Cheers!

I loved the way air units and combat were representated in HoI2 the first time I played it. But when I made to the game, it became one of the more disgusting features in the game. And it's not been fixed in HoI3. This DD shows some of the things I'd like to have seen before in HoI, so... thanks a lot! Go ahead!

Looks pretty good! Looks like Germany will be a lot harder to play, and the wallies will have to work at getting air superiority before they land, just as OTL. Not to mention the fun the USSR will have on the Eastern Front...and did I see upgradeable 100% infra? Can we upgrade that beyond 100% now?

Even though planes flee automatically, some of them will be cought off guard / be too late - so even if the division manages to rebase to a secure airport, they will take some damage.

I must say i dont like the new automated features, Id like if i could chose what targets my aircrafts engage, and when to move my aircrafts, not let the ai do it for me when it might not be needed.