• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Question:Will ethnic stuff be changeable?Like ministers?

yes, and its freely moddable / expandable.
you can add unlimited effects and limit usage to specific factions.
also the can be edited just as minister personalities.

I must say i dont like the new automated features, Id like if i could chose what targets my aircrafts engage, and when to move my aircrafts, not let the ai do it for me when it might not be needed.

Two things.

1) This seems to be a lot better than HoI2 in which you had absolutely no control over which province or unit to attack and all aircraft dogpiled the same target.

2) The automated rebase means you can save your aircraft by not accidently forgetting to do so (as it currently stands) thus saving micromanagement.

Its an improvement. Might not be perfect but its a lot better than it currently is (should it work as stated that is).

Aye.

1) This seems to be a lot better than HoI2 in which you had absolutely no control over which province or unit to attack and all aircraft dogpiled the same target.

Anyway you can target a specific province now. But if for some reason you want to target a whole region like in HoI2, then the planes should behave in a more adequate way than in HoI2(I wait to see that, however- but then again you can always target a specific province).

You may have answered this before, but I'll ask it anyways since it bugged the most in HoI2. From the screenshot, I see that Great Britain has strategic bombers. Does this mean the AI will now build things like Strat. bombers, Mech. units, and nukes?

Can air uints fly over multiple provinces per hour now, like in HoI3? And unlike HoI3, can your AA shoot at them while they do so?

To avoid massive quick rebasing like in previous HoI versions, we introduced a "negative organization" modifier. You get, depending on distance, an organization malus for every rebasing.

Planes who are disorganized are not able to perform any missions or rebasing - you’ll have to wait until they are organized again. This concept tries to model the need to transport spare parts, engineers and the whole logistics and support infrastructure. It tries to avoid the rebasing of complete bomber fleets in unrealistic short time frames, e.g. a thousand bombers from the pacific to Europe in 24 hours.
Historically this was a very defining factor in the invasion of France.

The doctrine of the Luftwaffe was to rebase all the support personnel, fuel and spare parts to new airfields with transport airplanes. While the allies sent them by road.

In practice this doctrine difference meant that German airplanes often could start operating as soon as the next day while allied needed up to a week to rebase. And when ready to start operating the advancing ground troops forced them to rebase again.

Another historical thing you might argue for is that if airwings are already present at an airfield, the org lost for other airwings to rebase there due to this factor should be lower.

If AA is so important, how will you "fight" the possible 10AA in every province exploit?
If you enemy builds 10 AA and 10 radars in each province I would probably just attack with land units :p

Also remember that more installations = more repaircost if you actually suceed with the bombing. So I'm not sure there is an exploit.

I dont think anyone asked this before. But will there be a message saying that "this" air unit was rebased "here" due to losing "this" province. This would be very helpful.

If you enemy builds 10 AA and 10 radars in each province I would probably just attack with land units :p

Also remember that more installations = more repaircost if you actually suceed with the bombing. So I'm not sure there is an exploit.

They could also scale the damage to bombers somewhat. Just as bombers will fly higher to avoid flak at some point there's diminishing returns with air defense. Ten AA guns aren't twice as good as 5 AA guns. AA guns functioned for planes like landmines do for infantry. Their main function is as a deterrent. There should never be a case where an air unit can be entirely destroyed by AA fire. Doing the massive airstack destruction of HOI2 should require that you bounce those bombers with some interceptors.

National ideas! Yay!

I agree. A very cool concept that can add things to game and modding alike. (Even though I think they should not commonly be possible to change - and more likely to limit slider settings than the other way around.)

Oh, and I would probably have spelled it National Identity instead of Indentity :p

The doctrine of the Luftwaffe was to rebase all the support personnel, fuel and spare parts to new airfields with transport airplanes. While the allies sent them by road.

In practice this doctrine difference meant that German airplanes often could start operating as soon as the next day while allied needed up to a week to rebase. And when ready to start operating the advancing ground troops forced them to rebase again.

Another historical thing you might argue for is that if airwings are already present at an airfield, the org lost for other airwings to rebase there due to this factor should be lower.

Good point I wasn't aware of but shouldn't this mean that this is reflected in the doctrines researched by each Nation and the speed of which planes re-organise?

What comes in pretty handy for bombing with planes and also with rockets is our new dispersion and force distribution concept. No more will all bomber planes attack a single stack and avoid all the others around him – they will now split up according to the best chances a unit has in engaging different ground targets.

So for example, the CAS stack will aim for the single ARM division, while those nice Tactical Bombers are engaging a big horde of lightly armed militia infantry in the neighboring province.

That is an interesting an unique concept. Sounds like a good improvement.

To avoid massive quick rebasing like in previous HoI versions, we introduced a "negative organization" modifier. You get, depending on distance, an organization malus for every rebasing.

Planes who are disorganized are not able to perform any missions or rebasing - you’ll have to wait until they are organized again. This concept tries to model the need to transport spare parts, engineers and the whole logistics and support infrastructure. It tries to avoid the rebasing of complete bomber fleets in unrealistic short time frames, e.g. a thousand bombers from the pacific to Europe in 24 hours. We also added a fix that you are no more able to give orders, like cancel mission, to planes who are currently engaged in combat. This exploit had lead to to much frustration in previous Multiplayer games and should now be corrected.

Sounds good. I can particularly see why you would want to hamper massive rebasing of this kind.

I have a few questions though. For one thing, I certainly understand why a you would end the practice of changing mission in mid combat. This was also done in the 1.3beta2, which I have presently mounted EIR on. However, one of the chief reasons for using this exploit is to save your air units from being "swarmed" and then caught in the "washing machine" effect only to be destroyed entirely, when they have been defeated, and are trying to retreat.

Here is what happens, with this system in the 1.3beta2 patch:

A unit is defeated in combat, then flies to another province, where it is again engaged by the victorious enemy. Your planes retreat again, and then are caught in another province, and so on and so on. All in all a pretty unfair effect since basically it means that your planes can not really retreat, and are destroyed.

This is particularly a problem when the swarming occurs over the base of the retreating aircraft, because the air units retreat out of the province, and then try and re-enter to go back to base and are then re-engaged.

I have had this exact problem in the 1.3beta2 patch in MP play, and not being able to "exploit" the ability of manually retreating (changing mission using the rebase command in combat to move your aircraft away from the enemy, so they do not get caught in the "swarm" effect again and again) like you could in Arma 1.2 means that you have got to work very hard to get save your planes, which should be retreating anyway, but instead engage the enemy they just lost too, over and over again.

Is there anyway to ensure that planes that have no org and are retreating, continue to retreat and are not again engaged by enemy aircraft, until they are safe?

In gentlemanly games it is common practice to ask your opponent to stand down his aircraft in such situations. But since it is now the case that no players can disengage their aircraft in combat, this would be difficult to do event by agreement, since neither player can disengage his aircraft.

This brings to mind another potential problem that often occurs when a province is about to be occupied by an enemy land force, which I see you are trying to solve by auto rebase, which is a very sensible feature. But will the units automaticaly rebasing try and rebase if they have no org... and more importantly what happens if they try to auto rebase into an enemy swarm? Will they retreat to a new base, or simply be bounced back to the old base and then auto-rebase again, only to be caught by the swarm one more time... repeat...?

I guess my basic question are:

1) is auto-rebase working for units with no org?

2) If units on auto rebase engage in combat over the base they are leaving, and lose, will they retreat to their original base or the new one?

3) What can be done to ensure that retreating aircraft actually get to retreat?

Off topic but just as important, I think is the question, will there be any system created to effect combat stacking limits based on the size of the airbase being used by aircraft other than time for reinforcement and reorganization, or will Twenty Four air units be able to use a level one airbase without effect on its combat ability?

It's true what you say about German doctrine, but my impression is that one of the advantages of the German doctrine was the fact that they built forward bases and the Allies did not, specifically to avoid being overrun and having to move. One major advantage of having forward basing was that it cut down on flight time to the target area, thus increasing the number of sorties a day that the German pilots and aircraft flew. The Allied bases were not so easy to overrun, because they were far back behind the line and also safer theoretically from bombardment but this also cut down on effective turn around time for missions. Thus the Germans were actually able to make more effective use of their air assets by simply having their aircraft in action more of the time, and this was affected by moving their bases with the flow of battle.

The Allied practice of transport by road is a result of the fact that their bases were meant to be permanent, and not intended to be to moved, since they were far behind the line. At least that was the theory. I doubt the Germans moved anti-aircraft flak batteries, hangars and entire machining workshops by air transport. German bases were pared down, and ready to be mobile, French bases were more elaborate and well outfitted facilities, and meant to be permanent fixtures in their plan to lock down the front, and then use their excellently serviced strategic bombing arm to flatten Germany from the air.

Last edited:
First of all : the more I learn about AoD, the more I like it!

It would be wonderful if this could be reflected in the German doctrine and you could teach German AI to use this, as it would make both the French Campaign and Barbarossa even more realistic.

I dont think anyone asked this before. But will there be a message saying that "this" air unit was rebased "here" due to losing "this" province. This would be very helpful.

I second this. without such feature, it could become somehow difficult to locate your own retreating air units.
Thanks again for your hard work.

Mario

Two things.

2) The automated rebase means you can save your aircraft by not accidently forgetting to do so (as it currently stands) thus saving micromanagement.

Its an improvement. Might not be perfect but its a lot better than it currently is (should it work as stated that is).

Aye.

I read the response below and was told that you could target individual provinces, great!

About the auto-rebase, I must say that i should atleast have the option to have it on or not because in multiplayer there were many the times where i just left 1 div in an airfield to safeguard against paratroopers, and then left it wide open while performing outflanking manuevers. However, if the aircrafts rebase to some place (i assume we dont have control over what airfield they choose to rebase?) they will not only spend their org when it probably wasnt needed, and wont be supporting my attack.

The only time a feature like that might of came in handy, was this time when in a mp game i had 12 fighters and 4 cas based on ethiopia without any inf guarding them, and a fleet outside it, but somehow an enemy transport got by my ships and landed on the airfield, therefor destroying them.

So i propose we have an option to have localized delegation of this ai control, so planes in ethiopia can rebase if an enemy is spotted going for them, but i can keep personal control of my air units in france for example.

I don't know if this has been discussed yet in earlier dev diaries, but I'd like to know if air and naval units are capable of the HoI3-style intercept mission, where the unit stays in port/airfield until it spots a target in the adjacent province, engages it and then returns to port regardless of the damage it took.