Dev Diary #68: Residential Exploitations and Racial District Buildings

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
B. I think I'm agreeing more with the guy saying the Syndi special district is bad, Oathbound don't have a cooldown on getting +5 Influence and +20 energy from their Colony Lord winning a battle.
I've seen many arguments both in this thread and on steam concerning the Syndicate Ambassador's Quarters. But so far the PvP squad, who usually are very picky about balance (exploitable vs too weak), seem to be mostly in agreement that the building is fine. Which only confirms my own view on the topic. My prediction would be that if we lower the energy cost of the slots in one patch, we would have to raise it again in the next.
Basically, the time between won battles is the cooldown.

We can look at artillery units for examples:
- Most artillery units have a 1 turn cooldown between their Artillery shots.
- One could say that the Dvar Rocket Battery has no cooldown on the Artillery strike.
Except they do, becuase they have to use "Train Weapons" after every move to have a a working artillery strike (it is too short ranged and not accurate enough otherwise).
- One could say the Shakarn Sonic tank has no cooldown on the Artillery strike. Except one needs to gather stacks for "Ebb and Flow" to even have a artillery strike - wich also ends turns.

why DAVR's urban mining shafts looks been useless at level3, give a prospected event when buy an colony upgrade. 1. I can done tons of prospect for free why I need spend so much to get this? 2. colony upgrade? there is less than one hand numbers.
it just so weak and not rewarding.
while other race event condition is much easier to meet and more counts. with better reward

Reactions:
The building gives 60 energy and 60 production, those are 2 ) very important resources (only Assembly building is better IMHO). The bonus is just icing on the cake.
60 production and 60 energy? the colony itself can generate 200+ production and 100+ energy in mid-late game by the time u get this tec if u not build this urban stuff.
and how many upgrade u can buy? 5 or 6? other race based on kill on influence spend on other player on research can be met more times
even if you somehow manage get this tec in early game, then u do simple math, a prospector unit take 1 turn to build, 1 turn to move,1 turn to prospect. while is useless building need 2*3 times upgrade + 1 more time to get a colony upgrade. if you value this reward why not build some prospector and gain more ur "important recourse" for almost unlimited turns ?

60 production and 60 energy?
1. Wich other Jobs can generate 10 Production and 10 Energy, or equivalent? The Racial Worker Jobs are inherently superior to any simple exploitation jobs.
2. What else are you going to do with Exploitation 5 and 6? Put any other exploitation on them? Wait, you can't.

Reactions:
Basically, the time between won battles is the cooldown.
Unless I am utterly crushing a war so hard I don't need the income I can easily have a battle or two every turn when fighting the AI, when clearing, again, I can get a battle or two a turn reliably. And that's on the one Colony Lord.... but I will literally make a new city when I get a new hero when playing as Oathbound to make sure I'm getting Colony Lord bennies. +2 Cosmite on it's own would be worth the points. With a few Colony Lords set up it can get a bit more complicated to get battles on all of them every turn, but that's mostly that I play on normal most of the time, if I tuned the AI to be harder and throw more stuff at me the value of the Oathbound colony district gets absurd fast.

Unless I am utterly crushing a war so hard I don't need the income I can easily have a battle or two every turn when fighting the AI, when clearing, again, I can get a battle or two a turn reliably. And that's on the one Colony Lord.... but I will literally make a new city when I get a new hero when playing as Oathbound to make sure I'm getting Colony Lord bennies. +2 Cosmite on it's own would be worth the points. With a few Colony Lords set up it can get a bit more complicated to get battles on all of them every turn, but that's mostly that I play on normal most of the time, if I tuned the AI to be harder and throw more stuff at me the value of the Oathbound colony district gets absurd fast.
And what about those turns where you got nothing, because you had not yet set up the forces for that?

Reactions:
And what about those turns where you got nothing, because you had not yet set up the forces for that?
...what turns would those be? In SP I basically always have at least one stack available to run around and kill stuff with and often two. And if you are talking about the non cap Colony Lords, it generally takes longer for me to get the two residentials and T3 building than it does to get them their own stacks or get them into stacks.

Is it actual population or max population that determines when one can be built? I feel like the answer is obvious but the "cannot build them on mountain sectors" bug(?) has gotten me very puzzled on how to proceed and think about colony locations.

Is it actual population or max population that determines when one can be built? I feel like the answer is obvious but the "cannot build them on mountain sectors" bug(?) has gotten me very puzzled on how to proceed and think about colony locations.
You must build them latest as the 4th district. You can not annex Sector 5+6 without 1 or 2 Residentials already build.

And when build, they simply unlock extra Max Districts on the proper population amounts of 20 and 24.

yes, Residentals can't be built in sectors that have mountains in them which is weird because I have a mountain in my backyard next to my home here in usa. xD

Anyways. If you had a npc faction that demands your residental sector and you gave it to them. You cannot build a new residental sector to replace the lost sector you have to dismantle your 7th sector to build a new residental sector first only then the game will let you build that new residental sector then rebuild your 7th sector again.

adding to this regarding residential not buildable on mountains please find my suggestion here