• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi everyone!

You may or may not know this already, but we just moved to a new office. Some of you visited us in the Paradox Tower (we had a fan gathering at our office some years ago) and while we’re missing the great view, the new office is fundamentally better in terms of layout. Now we can actually sit the whole team in one place including two integrated QA (in the previous office QA had to sit on another floor). Also, we’re sitting next to a coffee machine so production efficiency is up 10%.

Today I’m going to spoil a minor usability improvement we’ve done for the patch. I had Nusia coming into the team with me for this expansion and he quickly got annoyed by how much work it was to go to the character owning a province. Thus he did some improvements and now you can right-click a province to go to the character owning that province. Shift+right-click take you to the top liege of the province, so no more clicking a character and then clicking the liege and then clicking the liege. Alt+right-click will open the interaction menu with the character owning the province. Finally alt+shift+right-click opens the interaction menu of the top liege. War declarations have never been this easy.

Since right-clicking doesn’t make for great screenshots, I’ll post a picture of the team in the new office instead.
IMG_20151027_092805.jpg

Also a bonus for this week! The new office has a sound studio, meaning that Björn, our sound designer, (who haven't had the opportunity to work with CK2 a lot before) can produce a lot more audio assets. Just now we crammed the team into a shoe box and recorded some crowd ambiance sounds. That was 5 minutes ago, so I can't share anything, but here's a work in progress of one of the new audio assets.

Attachments

• wip_audio.zip
    80,7 KB · Views: 1.638
You've previously said that there will be dev diaries into december, also you've said that unlike what was said last year there will not be three dk2 dlcs this year, now I'd like a clear answer is there any point in hoping that there will even be two ck2 dlcs this year (one more before christmas). I understand you won't say yes, but if no please tell us no.

The only thing I love more than dev diaries are pictures of the devs. Makes me feel safer when i play ironman.... I know what you look like beware!

Type in "UNO CAMINI CASTOS EST E PAX" in google and one of the first images to show is:

3RPRlmU.jpg

Try it yourself. Eerily similar to a certain CK splash screen.

Reactions:
...now I'd like a clear answer is there any point in hoping that there will even be two ck2 dlcs this year...

Errr...i guess no.

devdiary 2
You can safely assume that we won't release two more expansions this year.
The dev diaries won't contain all that much about the expansion (or the patch released at the same time), until we're closer to announcing anything official.
If that bothers you, then feel free to consider these as non-dd:s and just random posts from the dev team. We won't take offense ;)

Are there topics that people would like us to have for these dd:s? If it's not related to the expansion/patch, we might consider putting it in.

Reactions:
Errr...i guess no.

devdiary 2
I said two this year that posts says there won't be two more, two more would be 1+2 ergo three in total this year, and you'll notice 2≠3. I am quite frankly asking is there any point in hoping for any more ck2 dlcs this year. Since the post you quoted was originally in repsonse to one of my posts I think one would asusme I was already aware of it.

Being a software engineer is easy, it's like riding a bike except the bike is on fire, you're on fire, everything is on fire and you're in hell.
I rather more found it like that guy from greek mythology who rolls the rock up a hill and then when he's nearly there loses grip of it and it rolls down again. Every time you think you have everything fixed you find something else that's broken.

Last edited:
I rather more found it like that guy from greek mythology who rolls the rock up a hill and then when he's nearly there loses grip of it and it rolls down again. Every time you think you have everything fixed you find something else that's broken.

I find it is more like being the dutch boy from the story with his finger in the dyke...

Then again, I was always much more of a Network Engineer than a software engineer to be perfectly honest.

I said two this year that posts says there won't be two more,

Why don't you simply ask then if the DLC will be released this year ?
You definitely put a lot of effort into your post to make it as misunderstandable then as possible.

Also, why before christmas, why not the 26th or 28th and when is christmas for you and why does this matter ?
Seriously.....

Since the post you quoted was originally in repsonse to one of my posts I think one would asusme I was already aware of it.

It wasn't in response to you. It was in response to everyone asking in that thread.

Reactions:
Why don't you simply ask then if the DLC will be released this year ?
You definitely put a lot of effort into your post to make it as misunderstandable then as possible.

Also, why before christmas, why not the 26th or 28th and when is christmas for you and why does this matter ?
Seriously.....

It wasn't in response to you. It was in response to everyone asking in that thread.
Actually I tried to make it impossible to missunderstand by clearly making sure to write out exactly what I meant, now if you don't read my post properly then you can't complain about it being unclear. I really don't get how you could misunderstand that post. Just look at it:

You've previously said that there will be dev diaries into december, also you've said that unlike what was said last year there will not be three dk2 dlcs this year, now I'd like a clear answer is there any point in hoping that there will even be two ck2 dlcs this year (one more before christmas). I understand you won't say yes, but if no please tell us no.

I start by providing the information they have already given, that there will be dev diaries into december and that there won't be three dlcs this year.
Then I ask the question if there's any point in hoping for there even being two dlc this year, the even would very much direct back at the fact that they've said there won't be three. And I specify inside the paranthesis that I mean one more before christmas not two more before christmas.
Then I recognize that theyif they actually plan to release one before chistmas probably will not say so until they are absolutly certain that they will, but if they already know that they won't be able to do it, I'd appreciate to be told so.

It's so clear that not even a mathematician or logician could complain.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I'm hyped for the next DLC: "Chronicles of the Dev Team".

:p

Hehe, I mean no offence. The new features you have hinted at sound interesting.

Reactions:
Come on no more DLC till they fix the mess with nomads republic using the same system.
I had to go trough loopholes to créate a nomad republic system. but am locked out of clan system while being a republic.

Come on after so many years. can´t you guys give us a new republic voting system and more families to be added as you grow.
And why do I have to edit history files to just créate nomad government. when console set_government commands does it too.

anyway happy bug fixing and hope the new office is comfortable it looks like it.
Now don´t bring out a new DLC now finally my favorite mods are getting into semi working conditions.

Come on no more DLC till they fix the mess with nomads republic using the same system.
I had to go trough loopholes to créate a nomad republic system. but am locked out of clan system while being a republic.

If you manage to do that in vanilla, then that is a bug, if you are trying to do that as a mod then it simply isn't supported.

Reactions:
"UNO CAMINI CASTOS EST E PAX"
"Castos", then its a Castration revamp!

Or maybe a Roman invasion, a lost Legion returning home.
"Prepare to be PAXed, bi***"

Reactions:
Today I’m going to spoil a minor usability improvement we’ve done for the patch. I had Nusia coming into the team with me for this expansion and he quickly got annoyed by how much work it was to go to the character owning a province. Thus he did some improvements and now you can right-click a province to go to the character owning that province. Shift+right-click take you to the top liege of the province, so no more clicking a character and then clicking the liege and then clicking the liege. Alt+right-click will open the interaction menu with the character owning the province. Finally alt+shift+right-click opens the interaction menu of the top liege. War declarations have never been this easy.
More backstory: Right-clicking on provinces in EU4 brings you to the diplomacy view for that country, and since I'm more used to EU4 (and even HOI4) I found the lack of this feature in CK2 quite annoying and had to fix it.

That sounds really, really nice. I started playing CK2 a few months ago after a year of playing EU4 and that was one of the things I found rather bothersome. Also congrats on a successful move, hope you're all settling in to the new place! Also looking forward to the new and improved audio. :)

If you manage to do that in vanilla, then that is a bug, if you are trying to do that as a mod then it simply isn't supported.

offcourse it is a bug or unsupported. but you can´t break the basic of how the game works.
Trying to fix it is going to cause more problems then it is worth.

Nomads are based on republic mechanics. just a higher tier version of it.
so also inherit all the flaws of the republic mechanics. who till this date still hasn´t been fixed.
Including the bald merchant headgear being in the wrong position.

Sorry unless it is a personal crusade of somebody to squash base mechanics and break the game.
Don´t worry like wierd stuff that is why I still waste time on CK2 without wierd stuff.
There isn´t creativity at all.

Reactions:
offcourse it is a bug or unsupported. but you can´t break the basic of how the game works.
Trying to fix it is going to cause more problems then it is worth.

Nomads are based on republic mechanics. just a higher tier version of it.
so also inherit all the flaws of the republic mechanics. who till this date still hasn´t been fixed.
Including the bald merchant headgear being in the wrong position.

Sorry unless it is a personal crusade of somebody to squash base mechanics and break the game.
Don´t worry like wierd stuff that is why I still waste time on CK2 without wierd stuff.
There isn´t creativity at all.
You should make screenshots and post a proper bug report thread on the proper forum.

Reactions:
You should make screenshots and post a proper bug report thread on the proper forum.

not bothered happy playing my Clans of merchant republic. with a overlord rulling them.
As it slowly expands into the world. makes up for my demon world game.

So if people can replicate it good for them, if not too bad.
But it is awesome having something different again. with a bit of modding and workaround.