• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Heradite

Captain
100 Badges
Aug 7, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • BATTLETECH
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Knights of Honor
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
So the combat system is pretty much Pillars of Eternity with some rule changes. I would hope they do include an option to turn on friendly fire post-release since I find having to strategically place my fireballs to be fun. What I do hope they remove is per-rest abilities or make them like only for the most powerful abilities. I hate in PoE having to rest ALL the time to refresh spells. Especially if the game gives us limited IG days to beat it.

I was so extremely disappointed by this dev diary. :( Really sad to see the combat system is PoEs with levels of strategy and complexity removed. I have no doubt the narrative will make up for it, but I hope they rethink some of these changes down the line.

What I do hope they remove is per-rest abilities or make them like only for the most powerful abilities. I hate in PoE having to rest ALL the time to refresh spells. Especially if the game gives us limited IG days to beat it.

I'm on the opposite opinion. You don't have to worry though, as the combat system will have cooldown and not per-rest and tbh I'm not a fan of it. If you have per-rest abilities and you have to reach place X in a given time, it makes the game that much more intense. Should you shoot your single fireball or hold on to it for a more dire situation? Cooldown combat gets repetitive since you spam your best spells early to enable recharge before the end of the combat to be used again...

I guess it's a question of preference, but mine is clearly per-rest.

I'm on the opposite opinion. You don't have to worry though, as the combat system will have cooldown and not per-rest and tbh I'm not a fan of it. If you have per-rest abilities and you have to reach place X in a given time, it makes the game that much more intense. Should you shoot your single fireball or hold on to it for a more dire situation? Cooldown combat gets repetitive since you spam your best spells early to enable recharge before the end of the combat to be used again...

I guess it's a question of preference, but mine is clearly per-rest.

Yeah. I quite like per rest too. I always consider if I can manage an average battle without per rest abilities to rest less often, or limit it to weakest tier spells, or just one per rest and keep most firepower for real battles. Otherwise indeed there's not much like a strong ability if I can spam it anytime.

I agree, per rest, always. :)

That being said, it saddens me the devs made another anti-gamer choice (no matter how popular it could be in the consoles community... consolers aren't gamers). Playing without friendly fire in ALL the difficulty settings tells me that the game is going in a direction many other games already went (and all failed). I get it could work well as an option for the "hand grabbing, kids don't talk back to their elders" story mode difficulty, but anything above normal... heck, in Path of the Damned difficulty it shouldn't even be an option to turn off friendly fire. You think you have what it takes to be hardcore? Prove it! :D

Paradox, please, remeber that one of the best (and funnier) things you gave us with Magicka was friendly fire. Don't go 180º on us with this one...

Paradox isn't making the design decisions on Tyranny (that would be Obsidian), nor did they for Magicka (don't remember who the developer of that game was/is, but it wasn't PDS.) Paradox Interactive is just the publisher.

Right, but, as the publisher, Paradox controls the funding which certainly gives them a say in the product that Obsidian creates. I'm sure that the majority of the decisions are being made on Obsidian's side, but I could absolutely see Paradox telling Obsidian to make the game more "accessible" (I.e. Less barriers to entry such as cool downs over per rest, friendly fire off as opposed to on, and level scaling). I could be wrong and it could just be Obsidian's decision, but Paradox has a say one way or another.

Right, but, as the publisher, Paradox controls the funding which certainly gives them a say in the product that Obsidian creates.

That is unknown I think. Paradox also published Pillars of Eternity, but that game was already payed for and developped(via crowd-funding like kick starter). Now, Tyrant hasn't been crowd funded, but that doesn't nessecarily mean Paradox put up the money for it, perhaps Obsidian just wanted Paradox's help on the marketing side or something again. Though I hope not because they seem to be doing an absolutely dire job of it so far.