Dev Diary 4th February 2020 - Version II

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Thank you all for great feedback on the earlier version for Hegemonies. Now we’ve reworked it a fair bit, and here are the current version.

The purpose of Hegemonies is to create a greater narrative for the endgame, but there are two cases in which this will become the most used one.

First of all, our goal was to create something for those of you who like to conquer the world, and make part of that more interesting, and hopefully less tedious.

Secondly, our goal is to create an interesting and dynamic last century in larger multiplayer games.

So what is a Hegemony then?

A Hegemony is something a Great Power can proclaim when they fulfill certain conditions.There are 3 different types of Hegemony, each excelling in their own area available to Great Powers. They do come with their own requirements to become Hegemon and you must excel in their specific area. The AI will proclaim Hegemony whenever they can.

What is interesting is that there can only be one of each Hegemon, and a Hegemony is lost when you lose a war, no matter how you lose it.

Proclaiming a Hegemony gives you a bonus which partially depends on which Hegemony you have proclaimed, and the longer you keep your Hegemony, the bigger your scaling bonus gets, and finally when you reach max progress you gain a further finisher. Currently it takes about 20 years for a nation to get their Hegemony Power maximised, but that's subject to tweaking. If you no longer fullfill the requirements to be that hegemon, you will slowly lose power.

A Hegemon can not be allied with one of the other two Hegemons, and all other nations get a relation penalty against you. A Hegemon gets a very nice power projection boost, and will also gain score at a higher gain, while any nation allied with them gets less power projection and score. All other nations will always have a Imperial War Casus Belli on the Hegemon.

All Hegemons have -0.1 monthly War Exhaustion and a +25% to Spy Defence.

Let's take a look at the different Hegemonies then.

Economical Hegemony
The Great Power with the highest monthly income, with at least a monthly income of 1000£, can proclaim this Hegemony

The base bonus is +100% manpower on all mercenary companies recruited, and the 100% power bonus is +33% Governing Capacity

The scaling powers go up to.
+10% Mercenary Discipline
+10% Trade Goods Produced
-20% Autonomy in Territories

Naval Hegemon
The Great Power with most Heavy Ships, and at least 250 Heavy Ships can proclaim this Hegemony

The base bonus is +10% Naval Engagement Width, and the 100% power bonus is +20% Backrow Artillery Damage

-20 Liberty Desire of Subject
+200% Sailors
+200% Blockade Efficiency

Military Hegemon
The Great Power with most Regiments, and at least 1000 Regiments can proclaim this Hegemony

The base bonus is 10% cheaper warscore cost, and the 100% power bonus is +20% Siege Ability

+10% Faster Movement of Armies
-20% Less Attrition on land.
-3 Unrest

eu4_80.png

Please remember that no numbers are finalised yet, and also that the Great Power mechanics will be unlocked by this expansion as well..

• 4Like
Reactions:
Great,can you talk more in detail about the moddability of this future system?Is this possible to have more or less than the base 3 hegemonies?Can you create new ones or modifying the existing ones?Can you add more or less modifiers?Thanks for any replies about this.

This is a great change, but I'm still worried that the AI might not build enough heavy ships for the Naval Hegemony - could it be based off sailors used, much like Military is now based off manpower fielded?

Great,can you talk more in detail about the moddability of this future system?Is this possible to have more or less than the base 3 hegemonies?Can you create new ones or modifying the existing ones?Can you add more or less modifiers?Thanks for any replies about this.

You can as many you want. You may need to make the window wider though.

Code:
naval_hegemon = {
    allow = {
        is_great_power = yes
        num_of_heavy_ship = 250
        NOT = { any_other_great_power = { num_of_heavy_ship = root } }
        NOT = { has_country_modifier = lost_hegemony }
    }

base = {
        global_spy_defence = 0.25
        war_exhaustion = -0.1
        global_naval_engagement_modifier = 0.10
    }

# At max 100% tickup.
    scale = {
        reduced_liberty_desire = 20
        global_sailors_modifier = 2.0
        blockade_efficiency = 2.0
    }

max = {
        backrow_artillery_damage = 0.20
    }

}

Better bonuses and slightly more sensible requirements, that's for sure.

The mechanic doesn't really feel like a Hegemony though, in the true sense of the word. You're not really controlling any other nations, just giving buffs for your own after reaching a certain number.

Thanks for listening to feedback so quickly.

Could we please also have an anti-Hegemony mechanic to model nations banding together to fight against a common threat? Maybe something like a coalition-like structure.

Hegemons are clearly global threats and should be treated as such. Other nations should not be so willing to join them in offensive wars or help them expand in any way.

They should also have a major aggressive expansion multiplier penalty as well.

This is much better, and an incredibly quick turnaround to boot

You can as many you want. You may need to make the window wider though.

Code:
naval_hegemon = {
    allow = {
        is_great_power = yes
        num_of_heavy_ship = 250
        NOT = { any_other_great_power = { num_of_heavy_ship = root } }
        NOT = { has_country_modifier = lost_hegemony }
    }

base = {
        global_spy_defence = 0.25
        war_exhaustion = -0.1
        global_naval_engagement_modifier = 0.10
    }

# At max 100% tickup.
    scale = {
        reduced_liberty_desire = 20
        global_sailors_modifier = 2.0
        blockade_efficiency = 2.0
    }

max = {
        backrow_artillery_damage = 0.20
    }

}
Thanks a lot.Can't wait to get my hands on this.

It's appreciated that you respond to feedback so quickly.

However, can we go back to the drawing board with this addition instead of tweaking numbers on the fly? How is this mechanic supposed to improve the SP or MP experience? What is the intent behind the mechanic? Is that intent best achieved by adding this mechanic? Can it not be achieved through already existing mechanics? And is the implementation of the mechanic one that is interactive, meaninful & fun?

Naval Hegemon
The Great Power with most Heavy Ships, and at least 250 Heavy Ships can proclaim this Hegemony

The base bonus is +10% Naval Engagement Width, and the 100% power bonus is +20% Backrow Artillery Damage

-20 Liberty Desire of Subject
+200% Sailors
+200% Blockade Efficiency

Please remember that no numbers are finalised yet, and also that the Great Power mechanics will be unlocked by this expansion as well..

While I am aware the numbers are not finalized yet, I thought I'd like to share what I wrote earlier in another thread in response to first version of this dev diary:

Regardless of the merits of hegemony mechanic, I was honestly baffled by the requirements for naval hegemon. One thousand heavy ships for the late game? During the Napoleonic Wars, I believe the Royal Navy only had 99 ships of the line at the peak, with rest of the ships being frigates or lower.

Britain had 99 ships of the line in active commission in 1814, and this was close to the maximum that could be supported.
Source: Section "Consequences" from Wikipedia entry on Battle of Trafalgar.

Britain were effectively a naval hegemon at that time with a number of ships of the line way below 1,000.

However, I think hegemony, if the mechanic is sufficiently improved to merit positive response from the players in general, should not be based on a fixed number BUT on percentage of the total number of X held by all of Great Powers. For example, if requirement is 10% and the total number of heavy ships held by all Great Powers are 1,000, then you need at least 100.

Alternatively, and I think this might be better than above, the requirement could be that the hegemon have a number of heavy ships that is greater than the total number of heavy ships that next two Great Powers possessing greatest number of heavy ships have. For example, if next two powers have 44 and 45 respectively, then hegemon will need at least 99 ships.

Even better, have that requirement from option B above PLUS the same requirement for light ships. It is important to keep in mind that greatest proportion of ships in the Royal Navy at any time during the Napoleonic Wars are in fact frigates.

Or simply just require that the hegemon have greatest number of heavy ships and light ships.

Frankly, I think the 1,000 heavy ships is insane.

I think 250 heavy ships is a lot of improvement over the number but I think it could also be more flexible in response to overall situation. Thus, I think percentage of total number of heavy ships held by all of the Great Powers should be considered in a formula for Naval Hegemony instead of settling on fixed number. And it also should consider light ships. As I said in the above quotes, the greatest proportion of ships in the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars were frigates.

Thanks for the quick turnaround Johan!! Great to see this communication from devs!

Its also hilarious to see some players complain about making late game blobbing easier here, while in older threads some players would complain about making late game blobbing harder. The devs can't win ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Great Power with the highest monthly income, with at least a monthly income of 1000£,
One clarification: 1000 ducats before expenses or after expenses?

Better bonuses and slightly more sensible requirements, that's for sure.

The mechanic doesn't really feel like a Hegemony though, in the true sense of the word. You're not really controlling any other nations, just giving buffs for your own after reaching a certain number.

This is why I'm planning to mod them to allow hegemonies to have access to tributaries regardless of their religion.

All other nations will always have a Imperial War Casus Belli on the Hegemon.
Giving others a CB won't really help if you're the strongest in the world. If offensive-only coalitions are possible, maybe let all nations join one?

Also, I think it'd be better to have the requirements scale up by age, so it's not purely a late game thing.

First of all, our goal was to create something for those of you who like to conquer the world, and make part of that more interesting, and hopefully less tedious.

Thats the problem, adding things for make world conquest easier, i guess people prefer smart AI and more challenge than this kind off things.
The problem with this game is that over time it has been losing strategic depth and there are no difficult decisions to make, clickable button to get more min/max bonus it is more off the same
The problem off the game is very easy get an unstoppable country, if you give more mechanichs for make this easier then the solution is worse.If you start at 1444 before 1650 you have to stop the game because your country is unstoppble and it becomes boring

Last edited: