• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi everyone!

I know you probably want more info about the upcoming expansion, but we’ll have to keep a lid on it for the time being. Instead I’m going to give you some information about how we work. Our current team consist of me, Doomdark, 4 programmers (and one of those started last Thursday), 3 scripters, 1 designer, 2 artists and 4 QA. On top of this the talented people from Paradox South are working on a content pack and there is also sound and music in production.

The core team is using a subset of the SCRUM methodology and a lot of focus is put on working more closely with QA than before in order to keep quality as high as possible. Our sprints are 3 weeks, and the final week has a focus on fixing bugs (old and new). Nearing the Gold Master (this is the version of the game we will release), we stop developing new features and focus fully on bug fixing and balancing. Since the Gold Master milestone date and the actual release date usually are a couple of weeks apart, we keep working on bugs and minor improvements for the first patch until the release (and beyond). In some cases (like with Horse Lords) the first patch is released the same day as the expansion, but sometimes it’s better to wait for the initial feedback before releasing a patch. As someone in QA noted for Horse Lords: one day after the release the players have tested the game several more hours than the QA team has done during the development of the expansion.

A tidbit of extra info about the expansion: the changes that go into the patch will fundamentally change how a portion of the game is played.

upload_2015-10-6_14-2-5.png

Ah non marriage alliances? That's great, I was kind of hoping for a naval & maritime overhaul but this is nice too.

C'mon guys, are you even trying to make a dev diary series? What's the point of making them and calling the such if you aren't going to tell us anything useful? Already two dev diaries with nothing and whereas the first might have been a bit touching this one is meaningless to most of us.

Reactions:
I would be extremely happy if this was an expansion that focuses on the Hundred Years War. Better diplomacy and warfare, improved late game and a bit of fluff for England and France.

Reactions:
C'mon guys, are you even trying to make a dev diary series? What's the point of making them and calling the such if you aren't going to tell us anything useful? Already two dev diaries with nothing and whereas the first might have been a bit touching this one is meaningless to most of us.
They mentioned in the previous DD how they plan to release this expansion sometime around Christmas. They can't really post full dev diaries now, so far away from the release.
In my opinion, it's better to get little info now, than to wait for December.

Reactions:
Perhaps this new expansion will be CK2's equivalent of Art of War that I've been dreaming of for so long.

At the very least pacts make me think diplomacy and/or war are going to be tweaked.

Reactions:
They mentioned in the previous DD how they plan to release this expansion sometime around Christmas. They can't really post full dev diaries now, so far away from the release.
In the lead in for HL, before the expansion was announced, they still talked a bit about some of the changes they were making and posted random snippets from the changelog. Primarily, it was the stuff that was slated for the free patch, and those pre-announcement diaries were far meatier than this.

Reactions:
C'mon guys, are you even trying to make a dev diary series?...

The alternative is no diaries and this is much better than nothing.

Reactions:
No they did not they said there would be dev diaries up until christmas nothing on how many expansions would be out in that period. Now it seems unlikely that it'll be more than one considering it's already rocktober but we don't know that for certain.

Reactions:
No they did not they said there would be dev diaries up until christmas ......

No ?

It hasn’t been properly announced yet meaning I can’t disclose any details, but we are working on a new expansion and you’ll get all the details in future dev diaries (we’ve planned one per week until Christmas).

Though i agree that they didn't say it would only be for one major DLC/expansion.
Could still be two (more or less) major DLCs released at the same time. Who knows, i don't.

Reactions:
It is better than nothing but nevertheless a bad sign. Where are the three major DLCs they promised to us last year for 2015. It Q4 and they haven't even anounced their second one.

How is that a bad sign ?
I interprete that as them realising that three might too much.
It might be they release both at the same time.
"Promised" is a bit misleading. Also why want more DLC right now if they are buggy in the end...
Announcement is too early for christmas. It's what usually, six or eight weeks in advance ?

Reactions:
It is better than nothing but nevertheless a bad sign. Where are the three major DLCs they promised to us last year for 2015. It Q4 and they haven't even anounced their second one.
Well there was Common Sense for EU, Horse Lords for CK, there in production another one for Eu and now we got fourth. Not to mention new games like Stellaris, HoI IV and Hollowpoint.

Darn. I was hoping "fundamental changes" referred to the technology and opinion rework Groogy mentioned several months ago.

Oh well. Fundamental changes of any kind are always good! We all know CK2 needs quite a few of them!

No ?

Though i agree that they didn't say it would only be for one major DLC/expansion.
Could still be two (more or less) major DLCs released at the same time. Who knows, i don't.
Yeah that's what I said: No they did not say there would be a DLC for christmas they did say there would be devdiaries until christmas (as you specifically quotes one per week).

Reactions:
Hi everyone!
Nearing the Gold Master (this is the version of the game we will release), we stop developing new features and focus fully on bug fixing and balancing. Since the Gold Master milestone date and the actual release date usually are a couple of weeks apart, we keep working on bugs and minor improvements for the first patch until the release (and beyond).
View attachment 139171
I hope the Gold Master edition is not the end of Crusader Kings II

Yeah that's what I said: No they did not say there would be a DLC for christmas they did say there would be devdiaries until christmas (as you specifically quotes one per week).

Well usually a DLC gets released after the last Devdiary and it would make sense releasing then me thinks.
Unless of course, you refer to the possibility of releasing one DLC before christmas and the second then, while doing devdiaries during that time.
If so, why didn't you simply say that ?
tongue.gif

Reactions:
How is that a bad sign ?
I interprete that as them realising that three might too much.
It might be they release both at the same time.
"Promised" is a bit misleading. Also why want more DLC right now if they are buggy in the end...
Announcement is too early for christmas. It's what usually, six or eight weeks in advance ?
They've done three every year since the game was released and they could handle it. Their not so good performances of last year(RoI being a buggy mess on release and Charlemagne coming with broken features like viceroyalties, then they promised us not only bugfixing but also a new DLC which broke the game for Christmas AI couldn't raise levies) is a sign of CK2 ending it's production cycle. HL and governments looked like they were going to save this game but now I don't know what to believe. Dev diaries until Christmas probably mean a new year release. We might not be getting even two DLCs this year.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I hope the Gold Master edition is not the end of Crusader Kings II
Gold Master is just the name for version that is fit to be relased to customers. They probably have had "gold master" version for the original vanilla game, each DLC & accompanying patch and even for the major patches without accomppanying DLC.

Reactions: