• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi everyone!

I know you probably want more info about the upcoming expansion, but we’ll have to keep a lid on it for the time being. Instead I’m going to give you some information about how we work. Our current team consist of me, Doomdark, 4 programmers (and one of those started last Thursday), 3 scripters, 1 designer, 2 artists and 4 QA. On top of this the talented people from Paradox South are working on a content pack and there is also sound and music in production.

The core team is using a subset of the SCRUM methodology and a lot of focus is put on working more closely with QA than before in order to keep quality as high as possible. Our sprints are 3 weeks, and the final week has a focus on fixing bugs (old and new). Nearing the Gold Master (this is the version of the game we will release), we stop developing new features and focus fully on bug fixing and balancing. Since the Gold Master milestone date and the actual release date usually are a couple of weeks apart, we keep working on bugs and minor improvements for the first patch until the release (and beyond). In some cases (like with Horse Lords) the first patch is released the same day as the expansion, but sometimes it’s better to wait for the initial feedback before releasing a patch. As someone in QA noted for Horse Lords: one day after the release the players have tested the game several more hours than the QA team has done during the development of the expansion.

A tidbit of extra info about the expansion: the changes that go into the patch will fundamentally change how a portion of the game is played.

upload_2015-10-6_14-2-5.png

my guess would be that Pacts are like alliances only you do not have a choice when asked to join a war and perhaps if you do decline they gain a casus belli on you. I like the idea if this is, indeed, the case or something similar because so often I rarely choose to take part in my allies' wars. This would add more weight to forging alliances/pacts and force one to think before marrying off someone for the sake of a strong ally.

Reactions:
WOOH! Dev dairies for CK 2 on Wednesdays! The week keeps getting better and better.

WOOH! Dev dairies for CK 2 on Wednesdays! The week keeps getting better and better.
tuesday actually, it was posted yesterday.

Hi everyone!

I know you probably want more info about the upcoming expansion, but we’ll have to keep a lid on it for the time being. Instead I’m going to give you some information about how we work. Our current team consist of me, Doomdark, 4 programmers (and one of those started last Thursday), 3 scripters, 1 designer, 2 artists and 4 QA. On top of this the talented people from Paradox South are working on a content pack and there is also sound and music in production.

The core team is using a subset of the SCRUM methodology and a lot of focus is put on working more closely with QA than before in order to keep quality as high as possible. Our sprints are 3 weeks, and the final week has a focus on fixing bugs (old and new). Nearing the Gold Master (this is the version of the game we will release), we stop developing new features and focus fully on bug fixing and balancing. Since the Gold Master milestone date and the actual release date usually are a couple of weeks apart, we keep working on bugs and minor improvements for the first patch until the release (and beyond). In some cases (like with Horse Lords) the first patch is released the same day as the expansion, but sometimes it’s better to wait for the initial feedback before releasing a patch. As someone in QA noted for Horse Lords: one day after the release the players have tested the game several more hours than the QA team has done during the development of the expansion.

A tidbit of extra info about the expansion: the changes that go into the patch will fundamentally change how a portion of the game is played.

View attachment 139171

Awesome!
Who is the scrum master(s) for the team or are you broken up into multiple teams?
If you have multiple teams, how are the teams broken up/organized? IE: One team would consist of: 2 programmers, 1 scripter and 1 QA.
Do you do retrospectives?
How many sprints do you do before you have a stabilization sprint/a planning sprint?

As a current scrum master/programmer love reading stuff like this and getting an insight into how Paradox operates.

Keep up the good work!

CK2 dlcs are actually mainly conceived and designed by Doomdark and the team (which Groogy is a part of). Johan is highly focused on EU4 in that regard.
Thanks, but sadly you answered the question I was least curious about :( I'd be more curious to learn what CK2's design pillars are, for example.

tuesday actually, it was posted yesterday.

Oh woops. How the hell did I not notice it then? Ah well statement about the week still stands.

Interesting. Always wondered how you worked.

The current consensus seems to be....
Crusader Kings 2: Crusader Kids

Wait didn't doomdark leave for stellaris?

He didn't leave completely, he just don't work full-time on ck2 but he still is the person who design all of our features for every patch and expansion.

Reactions:
Better diplomacy would already be something that significantly changes a portion of the game, so that might answer that one question. I'm not sure it's also the "something players have always wanted" though.

Anyway, we still have a while until Christmas so there'll be more hints.