• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello again folks!

It's a new month and high time for another development diary. This time, let's talk about barons. In the original Crusader Kings, characters could only hold titles of three ranks; count, duke and king (though these could be called different things in different cultures). Barons existed indirectly in the form of provincial nobility, which, together with the clergy, peasants and burghers, had different power, loyalty and tax values. The player could fiddle around with the power values of the four classes, which would affect the tax rate and the composition of the provincial levy. As it turned out, this was one of the least successful features in the game, because the micromanagement was tedious and did not have enough impact to make it worthwhile. Therefore, in Crusader Kings II, the whole thing has been cut. Instead, each province will have between one and eight named settlements. A settlement is either a castle, city or church, and characters can hold the title to a settlement just like they can to counties and duchies.

Castles are regular feudal holdings, whose barons are normally in fief to the provincial count. Cities are commercial hubs governed by a mayor. Finally, church settlements are run by a Bishop (or Mufti, or similiar.) Like the four classes of Crusader Kings, the three types of settlement provide different types of troop levies and have different tax rates depending on laws. Unlike the class power of Crusader Kings, the rights of churches and cities - and the investiture of their leaders - should be interesting to play around with. (More on this in a later dev diary.)

Barony tier characters are not playable, mainly for performance reasons. (We do not want barons to have courts of their own, with the explosion of characters this would require.) They have a more rudimentary form of AI than playable characters, but will respond to diplomacy and might raise their army in revolt. Another measure to keep the character count down in Crusader Kings II is that you can have your vassals double as councillors (so there is less need for minor nobles to be created by the game).

What about the level of micromanagement - won't all these baronies require more player attention? Well, the whole point of the feudal system is delegation, so the short answer is that for dukes and above; not much. Granted, the dynamic around cities and churches will require more attention, but of the right kind and infrequently. The existence of baronies will also make playing counts a lot more interesting.

I don't have any baronial graphics in particular to show you, but here's a little something that Aerie is working on...

CK2_Diary002_01.png

That's all for now. Don't miss the next dev diary on December 2!

Henrik Fåhraeus, Associate Producer and CKII Project Lead

Provincial management is indeed a CK feature I can honestly say I never use asides from the conversion trick, so having it replaced with something more visible and with more impact is a really good idea. I'm really looking forward to this game.

Sounds great :) .... looking forward to next month :)

An it certainly sounds like fun playing a count then ... and not just in the sense of looking for ways to back stab your neighbours and liege to get some power :)

I love the fact province can be filled to a differing degree, making more dense areas (like the Lowlands) differ quite a bit from emptier regions (the outskirts of Scandinavia).

So actual character in a court cannot hold any baron title?

Also, can the number of settlements be decreased to zero?
(You mention one to eight in the DD).

So actual character in a court cannot hold any baron title?

Well, if you appoint some Baron to also be your Chancellor, he will be a member of your court. Otherwise, he will stay at his castle and mind his own business.

Excited by this. I especially think that this is a better way of representing ecclesiastical power within provinces and/or the diocese bishop in court. Looking forward to having one of my barons serving as my marshal or chancellor.

Looks good. Have these settlements replaced the province improvements (roads, mills, etc) or just the class composition of the province?

If its only the latter then I'd be wary of the increased micromanagement (the class balance in CKI could be easily ignored) but its good that you're aware of this

I'm totally ignorant about how the state functioned in this part of history. Much as EU3 made me curious and taught me about the evolution of the modern era, I hope this helps explain the bizarre multilayered government systems that existsed in those days.

Very nice.

One question: If ecclesiastical settlements are confined to churches and bishops, is there another place for monasteries (and abbots) to be in the game? It occurs to me that monasteries were even more important landholders than bishops or cathedral chapters during the Middle Ages.

I do like what I hear here. This implementation of barons may indeed make management and playing counts a lot more interesting. I was a bit concerned about the bloat of characters that it might have produced but knowing that barons are non-playable and don't have courts of their own is reassuring.

Looks good. Have these settlements replaced the province improvements (roads, mills, etc) or just the class composition of the province?

If its only the latter then I'd be wary of the increased micromanagement (the class balance in CKI could be easily ignored) but its good that you're aware of this

Settlements can be improved with various buildings, provinces cannot. Your demesne size is counted by Settlement, not province, etc.

The new graphics are impressive. Everything I've heard so far sounds good. :D

If ecclesiastical settlements are confined to churches and bishops, is there another place for monasteries (and abbots) to be in the game? It occurs to me that monasteries were even more important landholders than bishops or cathedral chapters during the Middle Ages.
My guess is that the game wont differentiate between them. So a church settlement could be an actual church or a monastery.