Dev Diary #13 - Arsenal of Democracy Beta AAR - 3.December 2009

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Additionally they appear to be modifiable to the extent that they could disappear altogether and the proper solution to this would be to make (as an example) rocket/jet research incremental through 1936-onwards as IRL rather than big jumps in '36, '39, et cetera.

This. Teams did not go from pulling all-nighters to sipping martinis on the beach, they constantly worked at improvements. Do you think Team "Guderian" was completely idle between 1936 and 1939, then proceeded to several months running on coffee and cigarettes to develop Blitzkrieg doctrine?

A gradual year by year increment would make things a lot better, especially for theoretical techs such as rocketry, nuclear physics, doctrines...

Though I see Bomber Harris being a skill 9 team by the end of nearly every ENG game, given how many air doctrines there are...;)

I'd expect that you're overstating the case and that these decreases will occur only rarely. Additionally they appear to be modifiable to the extent that they could disappear altogether and the proper solution to this would be to make (as an example) rocket/jet research incremental through 1936-onwards as IRL rather than big jumps in '36, '39, et cetera.

Well, in game terms its not viable to start rocket research in 1936 with huge research penalties when you can do it much quicker in say mid-1938. Its much more useful for me to get my bombers, fighters, tanks up several models before starting war in 1939 than wasting one slot on jet engines in 1936. This is still a game. Besides even with 10 slots I think I'll still have trouble choosing whats best to research in 1936 and jet engines or nukes will definitely not be one of those choices. Unless AoD changed the rules for premature research penalties.

You guys are making a big deal out of nothing. The event only fires once or twice a game. It is hardly worth even mentioning.

What do you mean by "game", once or twice after every reload? And is there a way to mod it so it doesn't happen at all? And I'm still worried about my Germany losing its ubertech advantage by 1940 :p .

Well I was talking from a somewhat "powergaming" perspective. But this is still a game, not a history simulation, otherwise who would even want to play as the loser nation? And the fact is that this game punishes player quite severely in my opinion for starting research too early. So punishing the player even more for playing by the game rules and waiting until the correct year to use a very specilized tech team seems counter-intuitive.

:D Okay then. I'm back on the AoD band wagon.

edit: *shudder* did I just spam this page with yellow and blue? Sorry, will try to control my random emotional outbursts in the future.

Well I think you doubled your post count :D - you should get promoted in time for Xmas .... and there is nothing wrong with getting emotional about HoI!!

i like the idea of guderian sitting in a dim basement scribbling tanks on paper and taking coffee through an IV, with 2 cigarettes in his mouth, for exactly 90 days, and then one morning *wham*, the entire army is 10% better. and he's on vacation til 41. 43 will be a rough year though.

:D

Oh, so there will be pop-ups... Even if my team lost a skill I wouldn't reload. But I think it's rather odd for teams to lose skill. At least Industrial. I can see a doctrine team not doing any research and getting behind the times.

i like the idea of guderian sitting in a dim basement scribbling tanks on paper and taking coffee through an IV, with 2 cigarettes in his mouth, for exactly 90 days, and then one morning *wham*, the entire army is 10% better. and he's on vacation til 41. 43 will be a rough year though.

:D

The hell with Guderian...poor Vasilevsky, 3 techs to research in 41. Now THAT'S a rough year.