• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dev Diary #114 - Wonderful Upgrades

Hello!

Today we will be presenting some of the Upgrades you can add to your Wonder. Each stage of your Wonder will unlock upgrade slots, which will allow you to build Upgrades. Upgrades have their own triggers, meaning that in some cases you may need to fulfill other requirements in order to to unlock them. Not every Wonder needs a Lighthouse Custodian, and not every character would know how to grow poisonous herbs.

Each Wonder has access to Upgrades that are shared with other Wonders, as well as unique ones. Here are some examples:

One of the Upgrades you can add to your Wonder is ‘Spikes’. This is a generic Upgrade, meaning you can build it on any Wonder. As well as increasing the Siege Defence of holdings in the province, this Upgrade allows you to try to use a new decision, Intimidate, on other characters every now and then.

sJkvObl_G4u9Yynp-ouPtoAlT6RBMfoYlA7J_J7szcZmUh8nmfnpjUm_XWty9LPHSUiFg6-tKoh29bY6n-e5cBOteBzdcVjF5JPTEcrxca8Uur4HDIm7s2H_W6_OMdpajvcEhr46

iBaPSWjAKgnEBx1L6uGEe-TRhOe4dM4u4Dw-rvGet8nfgx7IB80NUk5X2LgvLV1ohhSFqEMgD6k5Odt8WCoJ9-_nu6A6L4elo09WlsfPcWO9mefuCtN-b2kXSsYBdYTJHjQwBFAf

Other Upgrades are more tailored for the Wonder at hand, such as the Trap Door, and the Royal Bedchamber, available for the Royal Palace.

dtZ3XGiN1ITp1x5Dqo-tehy_1LSeUvxoMvUvMhdknFDLSumBS7u6G7i_uCc7D1XJ86g-DjF0FFU6dg2KtWsYatxA6cYTwjZ83Ij1BqPnb9pb7UmFGJzbEw_6qu9gvHegBEwIS8zj

Another upgrade you can add is the Armory. This is a unique upgrade that can be built on the Great Fortress. It unlocks special options in the weapon smiths chain, as can be seen below.

66EmIQzkcNiGn-4av98PYsPD9HFUG7Uo3Zw-7vPCrVIcmJFMxO7E8KJeQJi2SMDFth-o0mUaDbtntdqOnSUu_TgHBCJfFt2V6JngPQdcM00fAuwIdqX0dGsgqVAZJfw_GFFW0hPa

With the Armory, your own smiths can actually give you a decent weapon. You can even ask for the specially heavy Zweihander Sword.

Other Upgrades will unlock minor titles, like the Custodian of the Stone, any guesses as to what type of wonder this is built on?

jIe-ivunQDVIOIx9_P0PKDiwFgZtYymymsP9KX9FEHFYMSa9dg_JkqbDq4_wMXvZs5790twXF3FLfz8VWhumvgDSjeS3UsRYPvOP6qYpBCgq-jQn2ZZnZWHHepfVAQKelcNXjvHa

And finally, some will need to be tried out.

LwtnaGkqnsx8b0zcEhU7Ztcxoxpu5hSPHCbrjM367KNlTN2xrKGoLT1IpXw2ESYkXyFiT3ApKEdFts6Sz89mJ-8Ahe07Bc5l0-HApNgiIrJVf-FJeNtQ5x9ZVKe4vas_9IMySMzn

Thank you for your time!

Will we be able to build Dwarf Fortress, which aside from being a wonderful fortress would also supply us with dwarf courtiers?

Can't wait to see the art for the Great Fortress...

So long as I can build a mighty statue of myself gazing across my lands over a pillar of my enemies skulls then I will be happy.

So wonder upgrades have both a maintenance cost (the X/a month) as well as a fixed cost?

What happens if you can no longer afford the maintenance? Can you scrap upgrades?

Can we have an epic slide upgrade for Pyramids? Seriously, who wouldn't want to climb a Pyramid and scream "WHEEEE!" all the way back down? It's complete lunacy.

Can we have an epic slide upgrade for Pyramids? Seriously, who wouldn't want to climb a Pyramid and scream "WHEEEE!" all the way back down? It's complete lunacy.
I'm sure you can mod this in if you really want it :D

Alternatively if you find me a good reference for a medieval pyramid slide I will add it myself!

Will there be an option to build multiple wonders on a single province? For example; I can build a palace and a cathedral in one province, but it is much more expensive and takes more time than building on seperate provinces?

I kinda hope we'll get more artifacts for the pagan religions soon, They've got so few and are so fun to play as. Or let us convert the christian religion artifacts into something we can use.