• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I understand not everyone will like the idea but I hope this helps people understand what the intention of dark spawning is.

Yeah intention of dark spawning is to spam lights everywhere. It feels cheap, and if you played minecraft you would know how annoying it was. Also most people really dont want to make their fortress looking bright as new vegas.

But if that would be optional - im ok with that. I just wouldnt want to have option to have dark mode and being forced with spawn. Same with shadows. The more customization the better.

No the intention of me suggesting dark spawning is what I said in my post, atmosphere thrill of the unknown ect. You could argue that its result would be torch spaming but my goal upon suggesting the idea was not to encourage light polution.

I think I am coming at the game from the dwarf sim angle while others are more interested in the building game aspect. Both are valid ways to play the game. It comes down to what gives you the most enjoyment.

No the intention of me suggesting dark spawning is what I said in my post, atmosphere thrill of the unknown ect. You could argue that its result would be torch spaming but my goal upon suggesting the idea was not to encourage light polution.

I think I am coming at the game from the dwarf sim angle while others are more interested in the building game aspect. Both are valid ways to play the game. It comes down to what gives you the most enjoyment.

I come from same angle as you but personally I dont think thats best solution to currently "Way too safe" environment :) So what (optional) solutions do we have?
1. mobs invasions
2. portals
3. mobs spawning in dark
4. mob fortresses?

Personally I'm not opposed to the dark spawning, but I would also agree that it's a simple and cheap route to go, at least on its own.

Towns-like surface-map-edge invasion spawns are cool too, but that can get really hard, especially without the ability to construct surface structures (proper defense positions against it).

Having the mages teleport in mob groups from time to time could get pretty hard too - but not so much if we where able to build teleport preventing devices as well (not preventing our own dwarfs teleporting though + its area of effect invisible when the construction window is closed), it also would felt more realistic in regards to them actually putting up a fight instead of standing around and waiting until the dwarfs gotten powerful enough to own them for sure. x3

Static mob spawn locations would be way too easy to control, an even cheaper solution than darkness spawning, and random portals appearing is too unpredictable again. Can't say I enjoy the idea of either of those.

All in all, I really don't know what would be the best solution for AgoD, but it sure would be nice with a bigger challenge.

the dark mode looks awesome, but isn't it what the trailer promised already ? In Dungeon Keeper the lights were fine, but you couldn't control where to place the torches. In aGoD you can, but there is no reason to, because everything is so bright already.

I also can't see the relation between darkness and enemies spawning. the last think I want to do is to lit every abandoned corner of what I dug in order to prevent it, that would ruin the whole game I guess.

Yes I wondered that from day one. I rarely unlock the torches and braziers until I want something further down the line in the research tree since there seems little point to placing torches at the moment, obviously dark mode will eliminate that and I may find that I unlock the torches before the researcher gains faster research which is almost always (99.9%) the first research that I choose.

I know that I suggested the dark spawns (maybe I wasn't the first, if not I was pretty darn close over on the Steam forums) because it inspires me to make use of torches. It's really just a balancing act on the part of Zeal, how far out the light radius goes in the game compared to how much of a lack of lighting would be needed to spawn a creature. So in essence we would not literally need to light every other block with a torch depending on how they have the game programmed, it could well be that one torch every 10 or 15 or however many blocks would be enough to keep the mobs from spawning AND would still provide enough light to play by anyway.

I can see that there is some opposition to this idea, so I certainly won't push the idea any further, I'm just saying there are ways that they could add this to the game where we would not need to light up every single block like some people seem very against doing (which I would also be against - having to light every single block). Anyway, as the developer said, such a drastic change would not be mandatory but would be an option that the user would have to turn on, that is the almost always the best way of adding stuff like this and I applaud Zeal for looking into ways of adding options to the game instead of many developers that don't seem to like adding options and would rather just say NO, sorry we won't add that.

Last edited:
Oooh I like this a lot. Not sure if this has been suggested but how about a slider to change the amount of global ambient light and another for torch/brazier brightness.

DwarvenAnsestor makes an appealing case for the thematic logic of spawn-in-darkness, that creatures are sneaking into unguarded areas and I'm in agreement that this is perfectly consistent with the Dwarven Moria Mythos and logical that abandoned areas get taken over by squatters, monsters and other nasties. The flaw in the logic is...

Light needs to require repair/maintenance for this to work. If you have the standard ever-burning Minecraft torch and spam them all over the place then their is no ongoing cost, no ongoing activity that is logically keeping the area under control. So long as your willing to require a crafter or worker dwarf to go around re-lighting all those torches at a reasonably high frequency (and possibly consuming some resources) then I would be much more open to the idea.

Still it seems a little military muscle should also be involved in keeping the mobs at bay rather then just expenditure of candles, I'd introduce an alternative concept I'm calling 'monster-eggs' which is basically that monsters spawn not all at once but gradually in little random 'infestations'. Take the spiders for example at first a few webs spawn, then when they reach a high enough density they spawn a cocoon, then full blown spiders come out of the cocoon, then giant spider queens... If you clear out the webs often enough it never develops any further, only your military destroys this stuff so you need a military to keep things safe and your military size is determining how large of an area you can keep secure. Ideally we would have a way of assigning a certain amount of military to do these kind of search-and-destroy activity, probably through an item like the rally-point flag but which disperses them along a patrol route rather then concentrates at one point.

Last edited:
Light needs to require repair/maintenance for this to work. If you have the standard ever-burning Minecraft torch and spam them all over the place then their is no ongoing cost, no ongoing activity that is logically keeping the area under control. So long as your willing to require a crafter or worker dwarf to go around re-lighting all those torches at a reasonably high frequency (and possibly consuming some resources) then I would be much more open to the idea.
Like this idea a lot. No matter about the spawning debate part at all. Just the simple lighting and make the Crafter do more issue. The consumption of resource should be as with the plants, same cost for a new light to be placed. Each light has a different length though (as do plants as well). Then a Dwarf colony might need more than one Crafter for a change to keep up with servicing the lights. Excellent idea indeed.

Still it seems a little military muscle should also be involved in keeping the mobs at bay rather then just expenditure of candles, I'd introduce an alternative concept I'm calling 'monster-eggs' which is basically that monsters spawn not all at once but gradually in little random 'infestations'. Take the spiders for example at first a few webs spawn, then when they reach a high enough density they spawn a cocoon, then full blown spiders come out of the cocoon, then giant spider queens... If you clear out the webs often enough it never develops any further, only your military destroys this stuff so you need a military to keep things safe and your military size is determining how large of an area you can keep secure. Ideally we would have a way of assigning a certain amount of military to do these kind of search-and-destroy activity, probably through an item like the rally-point flag but which disperses them along a patrol route rather then concentrates at one point.
This is precisely why I keep pushing for the monster spawning to be from their dens. This type of a “monster-eggs” idea is taking place. And in my mind where else would those eggs be but in its den. It just seems to make sense. And like you are saying (and what I did somewhere up above), if you don’t do something about it, over time more will come forth.

The idea of having them come from the fringes and newer areas, I suppose can be worked in – sure. But it still should not have anything to do with lighting. That abandoned mineshaft that snaked down and around that seems to always end up in every Custom game even if you don’t try to, simply because you start to follow some rare rocks – perfect places for spawning all along there. Or even that new tunnel that is going deep or far past the reaches of you main base as you are probing for new areas of rare stone or to get to the other side of the map – you haven’t taken the time to secure it yet have you or even to watch your back for that matter. Suddenly behind you a couple of Greenskins come out of nowhere. Perfect spawning.
:)

Personally, I don't think that we have enough dwarfs to be able to afford to leave a guard stationed in each event room that we open, which from what I'm gathering from the idea is that if we don't occupy an event room after clearing it out then there is a chance that it will repopulate that event room.

Perhaps if there is a way to seal them off so that even if the room respawns the enemy they can't get out, then I could see something like that working, but if every event room has the chance to simply respawn enemy because there is no activity in them and yet it's lit up properly then that seems problematic to me.

Also with enemy spawning in the dark (unlit) areas, I'd love to see patrol routes for our guard dwarves to go with this so that I can march certain guard groups through my own choice of a route to patrol areas, in which case it might eliminate the problem that I listed above. Either way I think we'd need more dwarves at our disposal, 31 is berry very light for trying to keep an entire underground fortress patrolled and occupied.

Personally, I don't think that we have enough dwarfs to be able to afford to leave a guard stationed in each event room that we open, which from what I'm gathering from the idea is that if we don't occupy an event room after clearing it out then there is a chance that it will repopulate that event room.
I know we don’t. Thus (finally) putting some point on having traps.
;)

I know we don’t. Thus (finally) putting some point on having traps.
;)
But would traps even work?

I tried using them before and sometimes they just wouldn't fire when a monster walked over them. Or the damage of fully teched-up traps was not visible on the monster's health bar.
Add to that the monsters teleport and only have to walk through traps if they want to, and you're back to stationing guards in every room.

Hi guys!

Dark mode unfortunately won't be implemented, we could not make it due to time constraints.

Time constraints? How are there time constraints on an ongoing, update-as-update-can project? You don't have to have it immediately, after all.

Also, re: dark spawning, I wonder how that would interact with my (and I suspect, many,) habit of starting at the layer just under the surface and excavating downwards, from undigium wall to undigium wall?

I would enjoy having enemies spawn in the darkness and try to take out the torches. Even if all they are is minor thieves, water elementals, or just shadows/wraiths. Basically to hide their own movements so they can sneak around undetected!

Hi guys!

Dark mode unfortunately won't be implemented, we could not make it due to time constraints.

Just read this as I was posting, we don't need to get all the toys on day 1 :D why not release at another time if/when you have time?

Hi guys!

And here my interest in game was completely extenquished.
I dont know if its because of some awesome content-gameplay update you guys are planning thats cool. If not - imt out.
As far as I know we dont have yet something between 1x-2x game speed about wchich people asked.

Im kinda loosing my faith in paradox.

..... outdated info apparently.

Last edited: